Avallac'h # White frost # Ciri # Geralt # Endings

+
I would prefer to erase all the "Ciri defeats the White Frost" bullshit out of my memory and I don't understand why CDP even went this route
The books clearly state that the White Frost is a force of nature, which can't be "defeated". Actually it's even Avallac'h who explains that Ciri's purpose is not to stop the White Frost, but to make her/her child open the gate between the world and evacuate the threatened races.
And suddenly Avallac'h changed his mind and realized the White Frost can be stopped? He studied the elder blood several hundred years and suddenly right before the Witcher 3 events he realizes that the White Frost can be stopped? Sounds very unlikely to me.
I have no problem with CDP changing parts of the lore if it's necessary or if it makes the story better, but this change was unnecessary and out of place. Same can be said about Eredin poisening the Aen Elle king and standing right behind him while doing so
In my opinion revealing that Avallac'h is indeed a traitor who want's to use Ciri to open the gate for an Aen Elle invasion would have been the better "twist". They should have used the White Frost only as a background threat to justify Eredins/Avallach's actions and explain the Aen Elle motivation behind their chase for Ciri.
But well, not that it really matters. The whole 3rd act is a mess storywise and the resolution fits with other decisions like Djikstra going rampage or Eredin not getting any kind of characterization aside from being a Disney villain.

Last edited:
I would prefer to erase all the "Ciri defeats the White Frost" bullshit out of my memory and I don't understand why CDP even went this route
The books clearly state that the White Frost is a force of nature, which can't be "defeated". Actually it's even Avallac'h who explains that Ciri's purpose is not to stop the White Frost, but to make her/her child open the gate between the world and evacuate the threatened races.
And suddenly Avallac'h changed his mind and realized the White Frost can be stopped? He studied the elder blood several hundred years and suddenly right before the Witcher 3 events he realizes that the White Frost can be stopped? Sounds very unlikely to me.
I have no problem with CDP changing parts of the lore if it's necessary or if it makes the story better, but this change was unnecessary and out of place. Same can be said about Eredin poisening the Aen Elle king and standing right behind him while doing so
In my opinion revealing that Avallac'h is indeed a traitor who want's to use Ciri to open the gate for an Aen Elle invasion would have been the better "twist". They should have used the White Frost only as an background threat to justify Eredins/Avallach's actions and explain the Aen Elle motivation behind their chase for Ciri.
But well, not that it really matters. The whole 3rd act is a mess storywise and the resolution fits with other decisions like Djikstra going rampage or Eredin not getting any kind of characterization aside from being a Disney villain.

I thought the White Frost was climate change in the books, not a force of anything. And it was only happening on the world of the Continent.

In my opinion revealing that Avallac'h is indeed a traitor who want's to use Ciri to open the gate for an Aen Elle invasion would have been the better "twist". They should have used the White Frost only as a background threat to justify Eredins/Avallach's actions and explain the Aen Elle motivation behind their chase for Ciri.

Ciri rewrote the script as did CD_Projekt Red and I'm glad they did. I don't want to see the North eradicated because it'll be a pretty cool place once we drive out the Black Ones.

:)

---------- Updated at 10:42 PM ----------

I thought the White Frost was climate change in the books, not a force of anything. And it was only happening on the world of the Continent.

It's not even happening on the world of the Continent, it's just happening in the NORTH of the Continent. Ciri and company could go to the South with everyone and they'd be fine.

It's been a while since I read the books, so I don't know what excatly it was called but it doesn't really matter. What matters is, that it cannot be stopped, which means Ciri was never supposed to stop it. Maybe climate change is the right describtion, what would make the Witcher 3 ending even more ridiculous.

---------- Updated at 10:48 PM ----------

Ciri rewrote the script as did CD_Projekt Red and I'm glad they did. I don't want to see the North eradicated because it'll be a pretty cool place once we drive out the Black Ones.
.... what wouldn't even have happened for the next 3000 years according to Nimue. Enough time for the North/Nilfgaard to destroy the Witcher world in another way.

It's been a while since I read the books, so I don't know what excatly it was called but it doesn't really matter. What matters is, that it cannot be stopped, which means Ciri was never supposed to stop it. Maybe climate change is the right describtion, what would make the Witcher 3 ending even more ridiculous.

---------- Updated at 10:48 PM ----------

.... what wouldn't even have happened for the next 3000 years according to Nimue. Enough time for the North/Nilfgaard to destroy the Witcher world in another way.

The books are their own canon, anyway. Separate from the games Alternate Universe.

I just chalked it up to some 11th hour need to add some drama and explanation for why the Wild Hunt wants Ciri so bad.

Besides, it's a plothole which exists as early as the Witcher 1.

Jacques de Aileberg is clear that not only is the White Frost coming but it's coming within Jacques lifetime since the future has Vizima under a gigantic sheet of ice with the exact same buildings.

1) He wanted to stop white frost because it was killing aen elle, that's why he needed Ciri. I guess after the white frost was defeated he just go to home. Dunno about bad intentions, the white frost wasn't just elves problem, Geralt world will die as well in the future, he didn't tell Geralt about stopping the white frost, but Cirir obviously knew about this plan . No, he didn't kill the king, Eredin did this.
2) Yes, it seems she stopped it.

The white frost was not killing the Aen Elle. They wanted to Ciri to have a Child with the King of the Alder Folk so that they could use the child's power to re-open the gate Great Gate allowing them to freely travel between worlds. They wanted to evacuate the elves of Ciri's world before The White Frost came and killed them, the white frost was not even a threat to the Aen Elle.

Also it was never explicitly talked about in the books if the King was actually assassinated or if it was an accident, it is just implied.

In the books, they run from white frost by traveling through the portals right?
Anyway if Ciri is possible. only one as I know, to stop white frost, she is strongest person in universe. She could kill King of the wild hunt ez, no need Geralt?
King of the wild hunt has the power to teleport, time travel, and couldn't kill Geralt, how?

Also is there a cinematic or explanation in the witcher 3 of that start from Witcher 1 where Geralt passed out? How he decided to run from wild hunt and why?

Thank you

Last edited:
As someone who only started reading the books after completing W3, the whole build up of the game, all the hints given about how only the elder blood can stop the White Frost and bring on a new age, I was kinda expecting a darker ending where Geralt would have to choose between saving Ciri (stopping her from sacrificing herself) and letting the world get destroyed (eventually, inevitably), or a greater good where he lets Ciri sacrifice her life to stop the White Frost (supposed nobler act). To quote Geralt's gwent card, 'If that's what it takes to save the world, it's better to let the world die'. The current endings available means nothing is really at stake for Geralt, too fairy tale-ish.

Attachments

• hqdefault.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 110
Sapkowski's interpretation of the White Frost as inevitable climate change in the books is by far superior to the vaguely defined cosmic force devouring worlds in The Witcher 3. I don't think it's such a huge issue that the game is breaking the lore of the books - it is basically fan fiction anyway, but the whole White Frost threat takes away the focus of the story's third act from the Wild Hunt, which is already barely present in the game. I don't really get why the Wild Hunt and their desire to tear open the gates between the worlds to save the Aen Sheidhe and to conquer realms couldn't be the ultimate conflict that is resolved in the game's finale. There was more than enough material and potential in that concept and instead of that, The Witcher 3 almost completely neglects exploring the Wild Hunt, while it introduces another half-baked story line relatively late in the game.

It just seems like an unnecessarily clumsy storytelling move. There are a few other quite badly-written narrative threads in the game (impact of Witcher 2 decisions, politics, IMHO) but there are also many superior moments. The only explanation that appears realistic to me is that at least half of the planned content from Act III is missing entirely from the game, because CDPR ran out of time and resources. The whole story just starts feeling very incomplete there. There is very little exposition for important characters and story threads...that is, outside a few journal entries. Those are, however, a terrible way to convey important information in such a story unless their content is at least partially demonstrated in the story itself.

Also is there a cinematic or explanation in the witcher 3 of that start from Witcher 1 where Geralt passed out? How he decided to run from wild hunt and why?
Geralt talks to Yennefer and Avallac'h about this, but again, it is never shown or explored in depth. Geralt was a rider of the Wild Hunt until Ciri managed to free him from the Red Rider's grip, teleported him to Kaer Mohren, then she kept on running from Eredin and his forces. Geralt's time with the Hunt is probably the most wasted storyline in the entire game that could solve many of the game's issues, if it were explored further. At least it seems like an incredibly good opportunity for a heavily story-driven flashback sequence for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom