Best and worst, under- and overrated skills in your opinion

+
Best and worst, under- and overrated skills in your opinion

So, after many hours of gameplay, dozens of respecs, trying out and testing different skills and builds, reading here on forum and watching on Youtube other people's choices which skills invest points to, I decided to start this thread to discuss more specifically about available skills sharing my opinions and hoping for yours, and maybe providing some tips for others, especially for those who are new to the game.

I want to focus on the best and worst skills, worth or not investing points, but also talk about skills are under- or overrated in my opinion.

Best skills:

Acquired Tolerance (alchemy) - I think everyone agree this is one of the best skills in the game. The ability to boost maximum toxicity up to 240-250 which allows to use tons of potions or up to three decoctions is really useful at very cheap cost of just 3 points. Not worth getting right at the beginning of the game, but later after finding and crafting more potions. Personally one of my favorite and base skills.

Axii - Delusion (signs) - The most useful and cheap skill for story aspect, providing more dialogue options and rewarding with XP for every possible use. Really worth getting very early in the game. It also comes in handy during fights but from what I see it's not used for that very often.

Resolve (combat) - Many people underestimate adrenaline and often completely ignore this skill even when focusing on combat tree. I find +10% attack power per adrenaline point (up to +30% or +40% with potion) and no adrenaline loss for taking damage when this skill is maxed out much more useful than going for Muscle Memory and/or Strenght Training in the same tier which gives only +25% and only for one type of attacks. My another favorite and base skill.

Fleet Footed (combat) - Probably the best defensive skill in game, maxed out reduces damage taken while dodging to zero which gives some room for errors and allows more risky play. Even when you rely on Quen shield it still gives the advantage as the shield stays intact after getting hit and receiving zero damage.

Whirl (combat) - Powerful continuous special attack that wrecks everything and looks badass. What's not to love in it? Very useful against group of enemies and single strong enemies, especially when starting the fight with this attack which also can fill up adrenaline very fast. It's worth to put even 1 point into this skill for just the ability, many times using it in short bursts is enough.

Rend (combat) - I find it one of the best skills not because of it true purpose (which is very high damage based on stamina used and available adrenaline points) but for the ability to start the attack while in dodge, roll or counter animation and the fact this attack completely ignores enemy defense. And it's possible to spam it by holding the strong attack button shortly to just initiate the attack. It's the best supporting skill you can get for fast attack playstyle when fighting humans because some enemies can parry most of the fast attacks even when using whirl or worse, stagger you like those with long axes or spears, but they can't escape from rend. Basicaly instant rend is far more better than normal strong attack. It's not worth to max out the skill, 1/5 is enough as the further upgrades increase only critical hit chance which can be increased by potion.

Exploding Shield (signs) - Another very good and cheap defensive skill, most useful against groups. Pushing back enemies when shield breaks is really helpful and allow to immediately recast Quen. It doesn't matter against single strong enemies though.

Protective Coating (alchemy) - And yet another defensive skill, or more likely survival skill. +25% protection from oil targeted enemy type can make a big difference, especially later in game when enemies deal heavy damage and damage resistance become much more important than armor value. For longer fights it's good to have more than one pair of swords and put oil on both as you can't apply oil during fights (excluding PC where it's bugged when using mouse) so the sword can be changed when oil wears off, or use the skill for oils never wear off.

Fast Metabolism (alchemy) - This is the best skill when relying on potions and (when combined with Acquired Tolerance skill) decoctions. Toxicity drops so fast you can drink a potion and after 4-5 seconds it's zero again. No more worries you can't use potion because toxicity is too high. And this allows to drink potions even when three decoctions are active (in that case I'd recommend getting Heightened Tolerance to eliminate overdose). I'd say it's second best alchemy skill after Acquired Tolerance (or even better when not using decoctions). One of my favorite and base skills.

Worst skills:

Pretty much all crossbow related skills - Seriously, does anyone still uses crossbow except when underwater or on boat? Or for trophy? I even unequipped my crossbow and equip it only to fight enemies underwater.

Undying (combat) - The idea of this skill sounds great but it's executed very poorly. I tried different combinations (skill level and adrenaline points) and it's very unreliable skill. Even with 4 adrenaline points it doesn't restore the health to 50%. When fighting multiple high level enemies and they stun lock you this skill doesn't even matter as you get back about 20-40% of health and then receive 1-2 hits and you're dead. It could work against single powerful monsters with charge attacks. But in my opinion this skill is not worth investing into. Maybe if it would restore 100% health by using 1 adrenaline point when maxed out. Then the name Undying would be true and make sense, but also become overpowered, but on the other hand provide an alternative for heavy tank alchemy builds with high HP boost from alchemy skills and mutagens and much higher damage resistance from heavy armor.

Igni - Pyromaniac (signs) - Not even it's tier 4 skill it doesn't work like you would think it should. Maxed out increases chance to apply burning by 100% so you could think you have guarante burning from Igni no matter of enemy but it in fact depends on your sign intensity.

Adaptation (alchemy) - Yeah, right, increasing decoctions duration by 50% to make them last 2-3 hours would be very helpful. Total misunderstanding. You still need to meditate to refill bombs and potions and that cancels decoctions so what's the point? I don't believe someone would use the whole duration of decoction while normal play. I only once reached the point decoction expired by itself but it was about 40-50 minutes and I was collecting loot on the sea on Skellige.

Killing Spree (alchemy) - Totally useless, it's tier 4 skill and it also bugs DPS stats. Maxed out give 100% crit chance after 2nd kill and the same result you can get from potion.

Underrated skills:

Arrow Deflection (combat) - I only checked this skill some time ago, always thought it's not worth points but I quickly changed my mind after playing with it against 30-40 red skull guards. Also changed my playstyle to hold parry all the time when fighting humans. Never did that before. With this skill all fights with humans became easier when there were any archers. Now I get this skill every time when fighting humans.

Deadly Precision (combat) - Very expensive (tier 4, needs 30 points in the tree) but highly rewarding skill. At the beginning I thought "meh, only 1-2% instant kill chance? So low chance is like nothing, better go for guaranted bleeding", but it works very well for fast attack and adrenaline playstyle.

Overrated skills:

Muscle Memory and Strenght Training (combat) - Those two skills are good early skills, but later in game it's really waste of points which could be used for more useful skills. It's basically 10 points to get only 25% overall boost, 5 points when playing with only one type of attacks. And going for adrenaline and Resolve skill (which is the best choice to unlock next tier in my opinion) gives 10% boost per adrenaline point. And even bigger boost can give red mutagen. And there's a +5% rune too.

Crippling Strikes (combat) - The idea is pretty good, apply bleeding effect lasting 5 seconds by fast attack. But when focusing on fast attacks which is the most case when going for bleeding, it's very likely you land your next hit just right after the previous one and the bleeding damage doesn't cummulate. In most situations you won't hit and retreat with fast attack to wait bleeding stops. In my opinion this skill better suits strong attack playstyle. Wait for opportunity, main strong attack then fast attack to apply bleeding, dodge back.

Sign Intensity - the whole Tier 3 of sign tree - You need 5 points to get +25% intensity but just for one sign. I think it's waste, just one glyph can give +10%. You can get more from mutagen bonus.

Synergy (alchemy) - Getting 50% more from mutagen bonusses surely provide a nice boost for DPS and sign intensity, but I personally decided to get rid of it and choose skills which can provide advantage in different ways than just boosting stats. And since NG+ is out insane sign intensity or DPS is no longer required for the usual enemies.

What's your opinions? Which skills you find the best, worst or under- and overrated? What's your favorite skills?

I haven't tried every possible skill but so far, within my 3rd playthrough, I can say I don't need to. Anyway, I can't really argue whether something was overrated or not.

Axii - tier 1 maxed + tier 2 skilled with only 1 point grants access to every additional 40 xp.. Dominating foes is not anywhere useful to me. I'd rather max out Aard and kill them instantly, if possible. There is just no reason to let mobs turn against each other. They are just too slow. Circling forever before making one attack. On higher levels those are parried all the time. Boring and useless.

Igni - I use melt armor initially (and that only, because I have to put some points into sign tree for unlocking active Quen shield) and else rely on the normal effect, to get as many foes burning (with high lvl. gear you will get mobs burned freqeuently) to take them out of combat for a few seconds, which usually is enough to kill one annoying mobmeanwhile or heal up, if possible.

Quen - only use active shield as default healing option. Everything else I don't see a use.

Aard - I am disappointed by the 360° burst. It did not seem as powerful to me as I expected. I expected to be able to lay prone crowds of equally leveld monsters but nu-uh. Useless except boosting general intensity by gear and use the normal wave to take out one or 2 foes immediately

Yrden - Only useful to me if I engaged wraiths way below suggested level. Bu since I don't, I leave it as it is and just kill the wraiths by brute force (some can be poisoned, lol)

Alchemy - Most useful skills in there, on my opinion. I use potions and bombs frequently and more often than signs. A wicther relying on bombs heavily mgiht be the next build. Right now; i focus on heightened poison tolerance, increased sign intensity, healing and monster related stuff. Most important the 25% of poisoning a mob when using the according oil as well as 25% protection from oils.

All in all I favor survivabuility on death march before raw power and changed Geralt many times by potion of emptiness according to gear and level. Parrying projectiles is a must-have for me in early levels. As soon as I reach lvl. 16 I change skills to being more offensive. The last change occurs at lvl. 34, obviously.

Most useful:

- Fast attack tier 1,2 and 4. Bleeding combined with poisoning is a very powerful and potent way to kill mobs, imho. Together with Ekhimma decoction you will heal everytime the effect tickers. Works with bombs like devil bovist and dancing star as well.

- active Quen.

- Melt Armor descrption wise, though I don't know a monster's stats to vlidate -15% armor or so.

Useless:

- most of Axii tree

- Aard tree

- all crossbow related skills. This weapon just plain sucks and intentionally is not as powerful as swords or signs, so why bother at all. Building a crossbow using and bomb throwing witcher would be cool as hell, though. But for that we are missing increased loading speed, fire rate, general dps.

- all alchemy skills, which grant some dubious bonuses on invisible combat statistics. I have to use the inventory menu for an elaborate character sheet to find adrenalin points, for example. These adrenalin points should be visible on the HUD. There is space enough for squeeezing in a number. Reember there is a whole combat form built on adrenalin. Instead of using a combat mechanic which makes me switch from inventory to fight allt he time, if I want to compare stuff, I use clear and precise combat bonuses, so I can focus on fighting. That's a general issue. I want to have clearer and more precise input -> result mechanics or more different features altogether.

- defense tree except parrying projectiles. I really give a dman about damage reduction while dodging. I want to have a skill reducing stun affection and/or stun duration from enemy blows.

Last edited:
Best: Rend + Crushing blows. Allows you to fast rend with a high and damaging critical chance. Really adds to your dps
Worst: Anything crossbow or bomb related
Overrated: Anything in the alchemy tree other than acquired tolerance. I have no use nor want for anything there.
Underrated: Sustained glyphs + magic trap. Seriously, I cant' make a build without this anymore. I always rely on yrden. And being able to lay 2 traps + destroy all projectiles + have a constant stunlock makes it that the battlefield control is yours.

Most nonesense
Griffin school techniques = your stamina regen goes up for every piece of armor you wear (lol)
Active quen shield = enemy hits heal you (lol) ..

Last edited:
Here is my favorite:
Precise blow - add crit damage
Whirl - more crit hits
Crucial blow - add crit damage
Rend - unstoppable power!
Resolve - Keeping Adrenaline alive
Acquired Tolerance - more toxicity
Fast Metabolism - more potion/decoc to drink
Refreshment - more vitality
Synergy - more crit damage

every skill is useful in its own way,
crossbow is very useful, but meant to be used against flying enemies or underwater,

whether a skill is useful or not depends on your play style and build,

i like sword whirlwind, alt aard shockwave, alt yrden ray, igni firestream, the other signs i change from time to tme

health regeneration during night i don't find very useful, but that's just my opinion

slow tme for throwing bombs don't find very useful neither, for the there is automatic aiming, that's better

the alt axia, to control minds during dialogs is very very useful, i use it always, more xp, and better outcome

I wish that using Axii didnt give you XP, then the Axii skills wouldnt seem so good amd it would just be a good RP choice instead of a must have XP choice.

Regarding tolerance: what three decoctions would you use? They all seem to have pretty limited value to me, except ekhidna.

In my opinion:

Best
-Acquired Tolerance: the only downside is that is a late game skill, but after you got enough recipes it becomes easily one of the best and efficient skill in the game.
-Exploding Shied: simply essential to maintain distance and not to get hit by the same target after the shield goes down, the knock back chance is also cool. Works slightly worse against some enemies like arachas but it is definitely a worthed augment for the most useful sign.
-Rage Management: probably the only worth yellow skill besides the school ones, it is not necessary needed in a sign build but it is awesome in almost every other build.
-Whirl: in my opinion by far better than Rend simply because it offers a huge tool against groups of enemies (that are the main treat in this game) and his dps is awesome even against single enemies. Combined with Superior Blizzard it becomes one of the best skill in the game.

Underrated
-Active Shield: one of the most useful skill in the game. If used properly, it works like a free White Raffard potion every time you have Stamina. Advantageous in almost all the situations, probably the most useful skill in the highest difficult mode.
-Sunder Armor: 25% damage increased from every source of damage is huge: it is like muscle memory combined with strength training combined with some sign intensity for only 5 points. Probably the most efficient skill in the game in terms of damage bonuses.
-Delayed Recovery: this skill plus Superior White Raffard potion makes you invincible…
-Refreshment: not the best skill in the game, but a free little White Raffard potion every time you drink a potion is still quite good.
-Oil branch: I didn’t like this branch because I was always scared that I didn’t know which monster I would have to face until the moment I couldn’t use the oil anymore. But there are lots of situations in which you know which monster you will face (not only witcher contracts) and all the oil skills are very strong in particular Protective Coating and Fixative (that gives you basically a 25% bonus against humans all the time).

Overrated
-Magic Trap: slow to cast, it does not last long and makes low damage. This skill was one of my biggest disappointment during my first play through. Not to mention that every time this skill could have been useful (against archers) an arrow will hit you before you would have completed the cast of the spell and the range is not that big too since against humans I tend to roll a lot across the battlefield.
-Trail of the Grass branch: very overrated imo. Endure Pain simply sucks since it works against Fast Metabolism and Frenzy is not that deal in my opinion. Killing Spree is almost useless since it resets every time you kill someone and it works only against group of enemies. In late game, it becomes even more useless since you get high critic chance and superior Thunderbolt. Fast Metabolism could have been cool but it works against Delayed Recovery (much better skill) and with both Heightened and Acquired Tolerance you can drink 5 or 6 potions even with 2 decoctions activated without exceeding the threshold and I didn't need to have more than 5 potions activated at the same time.
-Fleet Flooted: dunno if its bugged or it only works in really close temporal windows, but this skill was such a disappointment in my first play through since it seems to do nothing at all.
-Almost all Adrenaline branch: in my opinion these skills are bad. In late game and even before you get 3 points in adrenaline after 5 seconds even with a hybrid build like mine. Not to mention that, unless you spam Whirl and/or Rend, adrenaline point gain % is pretty useless after a certain percentage, while stamina regen is almost always better. Yeah, the fact that you don’t lose adrenaline points when you get hit or that you start a fight with one adrenaline point is cool but not worthed in my opinion, since you have so many sources of adrenaline point gain (armor, swords, red skills, attacking….) that you get adrenaline points really really fast. Not to mention that when you get Superior Maribor Forest they become even useless. I only save Undying since it is quite useful against monsters 20-30 levels above you that can one-hit you (I killed a level 63 arachas in my NG+ at level 38 thanks to this skill too).
-Crippling Strike: agree with OP.

Worst
-Aard branch: Aard is useful against Drawners, Humans and Humanoid enemies for an instant kill chance but these upgrades are simply awful. Aard Sweep is quite useless since it is slightly slower to cast and often less effective but maybe it’s the only not totally useless skin of the branch. The flat damage is simply ridiculous, in particular in late game.
-Crossbow branch: no need to comment. Crossbow is useless for itselt. Cripping Shot is funny, when you have Demitrium Bombs.
-Bombs branch: Bombs are very useful but the flat bonus damage and the further time slowed are not really needed. The automatic aiming works fine and the flat damage, again, is useless in late game. Efficiency and Cluster Bomb could appear cool but you have so many bomb types that it would be quite weird if 20-25 bombs are not enough for you in a combat.
-General skills except for School skills and Rage Management: simply sub par in terms of bonuses compared to the normal skills, they don’t even give you mutagen bonuses.

Last edited:
Werewolf decotion is pretty good. You dont use stamina outside of battle. So you can sprint everywhere. Its something I use all the time.

-Sunder Armor: 25% damage increased from every source of damage is huge: it is like muscle memory combined with strength training combined with some sign intensity for only 5 points. Probably the most efficient skill in the game in terms of damage bonuses.

wait a sec.... are u telling me that sunder armor applies to any type of attack??!?!? Coz if that's the case than this is awesome.
i never got this skill coz i always thought it only applied to strong attacks (which i don't use very often).
are u absolutely sure this skill works with fast attacks too?

I read that Sunder Armor apply after successful hit with strong attack and reduces enemy resistance so after that any attacks deals more damage. But I never tested it enough, does using Rend instead of standard strong attack (I hate the standard strong attacks because they're so slow) also reduces resistance? And is it one time effect or cummulative? After first strong attack can you reduce enemy resistance again by 25% from the new value and so on? I was going to get this skill anyway and try it out, but still don't have enough free points.

wait a sec.... are u telling me that sunder armor applies to any type of attack??!?!? Coz if that's the case than this is awesome.
i never got this skill coz i always thought it only applied to strong attacks (which i don't use very often).
are u absolutely sure this skill works with fast attacks too?

Yes, but you obviously need to hit with a strong attack the enemy first. After that, every source will do 25% more damage, simply because Sunder Armor reduces at 75% the original damage resistence of the target. Basically, after a strong attack a bomb will do 625 dmg instead of 500, Igni will do 375 instead of 300, a fast attack will do 1000 dmg instead of 800, etc... Sunder Armor is awesome because it affects DAMAGE RESISTENCE (nor defense or armor) from all the damage sources which is the most important stat in particular in late game. In fact there is a cool video on youtube in which is explained very well that damage resistence is far more important than defense in your gears, that's why Ursine Armor is far better than Wolf or Cat gear in terms of defence, not for the defence stat but for the percentage damage resistence against monsters.

@trezbiat I don't think it's cumulative because it would be too overpowered. I think it applies on the first strong attack. Regarding the points, I am on my way to get 5 points in this skill and I've got a hybrid build. You can easly reach it in NG+ with Place of Power.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know points won't be a problem, I just want to focus on story to reach Kaer Morhen first and then stop for a moment to explore and hunt for witcher diagrams. I got adaptive hybrid build (as I like to call it) and have already invested points into different trees like 32/19/25/1. I just need to know if Rend works for this skill too. I'm pretty sure I won't use this skill in my free roam build, but I'll had to try it against powerful monsters. Even if it would be cumulative, I don't think it'd become overpowered, damage increase would be slower and slower with every hit as the enemy resistance would decrease from the new value. But I don't think the output is exact 25% damage increase, enemies must have % damage resistance and the skill reduces that % value by 25%. Then it makes this skill 100 times better than the two tier 1 skills for +25% attack power at higher level when enemies get higher resistance. Is it possible to check the exact values of damage resistance of enemies at different levels on PC? I'm on PS4.

Yes, but you obviously need to hit with a strong attack the enemy first. After that, every source will do 25% more damage, simply because Sunder Armor reduces at 75% the original damage resistence of the target. Basically, after a strong attack a bomb will do 625 dmg instead of 500, Igni will do 375 instead of 300, a fast attack will do 1000 dmg instead of 800, etc... Sunder Armor is awesome because it affects DAMAGE RESISTENCE (nor defense or armor) from all the damage sources which is the most important stat in particular in late game. In fact there is a cool video on youtube in which is explained very well that damage resistence is far more important than defense in your gears, that's why Ursine Armor is far better than Wolf or Cat gear in terms of defence, not for the defence stat but for the percentage damage resistence against monsters.
sweet!
thanks for the clarification!:ok:

Most are useful skills in their own way, just being able to harmonize different skills that can assist each other AND your playstyle is what matters, I guess.
Btw, insta-killing really shines on NG+. It turns the tide of difficult fights! Not only instantly dipatches an enemy but also gives you a moment to think what to do next. Great when coupled with the skill that gives you one adrenaline as a fight starts(forgot the name). Also works great when you don't "expect" it to happen lol.

I think Yrden in general is sometimes underestimated.

If one looks at it a little closer, by just slowing an enemies attack speed by 50% that's a 50% damage reduction (DPS= Damage Per Second after all). The slower the enemy's attack the lower their DPS. Conversely it boosts your DPS by 50% when considering how many attacks you can perform before dodging. This is cumulatively huge.

I've been playing with a build I like to call my 'Time Lord Witcher' build. Basically every glyph is Yrden and boosting sign intensity & adrenaline when I can. I hinge the build on using the Blizzard potion (again, slows time) so as soon as I hit max adrenaline it's Matrix godmode-time. So far with a mainly alchemy build I have Yrden slowing enemies about 80%. That's a potential 80% damage reduction on top of an 80% damage boost. And gawd is it fun toying with slow-mo bullet-time enemies.

Ever played SUPERHOT? It ends up being kind of like that. So fun and I think underrated.

I've found killing spree to be one of the most amazing skills. Highest base critical chance you can achieve in the game is ~40%, and each kill adds an additional 30% (It says it adds 50% but it's bugged). I won't compare it to superior thunderbolt, since that a bug/exploit. Unfortunately, a lot of bosses don't have any minions to kill so it's useless in these situations.

It's also worth noting that cat school techniques increases critical damage for both fast and strong attacks. For this reason, I use a strong attack build with feline armor.

The damage bonus skills for both fast and strong attacks are quite useless. The 25% bonus applies only to the base damage of the weapon, so if using a mastercrafted bear silver sword you're looking at only an extra ~100 damage per swing. Kinda trivial when you're critting for 5.5k

So pyromaniac is useless?:eek:kay:

If maxed out this skill allows you to set aflame any enemy that can be set aflame, and this is the only skill that allows you to burn foes that are 5 levels higher than you are. So no... It's not useless.

In fact, this skill is even more importnat is NG+, especially if you like facing high levelled enemies. Combine it with the insane burning damage Igni inflicts and the AoE it applies...

Hell, I can just burn those overlevelled guards to the ground with 5-7 Igni casts, don't even need to draw my sword. Let alone hitting anyone with it.

You might want to unequip this sign when facing enemies that don't burn and they're not as many.

Top Bottom