Building a gaming PC

+
I got a 970 a few years back specifically for this game. Most of the time, it runs at a smooth 60fps with some of the more intense settings turned down. Honestly though, I'd get something more future proof. Get a good i5 and maybe a 1060 or 1070 instead and you'll be gold.

I wouldn't touch Nvidia today, since they refuse to provide proper open Linux drivers, unlike AMD. And AMD Ryzen CPUs today already beat Intel on price per performance metric and upcoming Zen 2 will only improve on that.

So my next build is going to be full AMD as well. It would get more interesting, once Intel will release high end GPUs next year. They will have open drivers as well.

1,5 y ago bought used server station HP Z420 (Xeon e5-1620 is a beast) for not even 300 euro and just exchanged 1gb card for 4gb GTX 1050 Ti (160euro) and for fancy added SSD Hard disk. Allowed me to play Witcher 3 on very high/ultra details with 60 fps. New brand PC which allowed me the same in these days was priced around 1200-1400 euro. I still own this machine and it is ridicoulus good with brand new titles.

What do you think about upcoming LG 27GL850G monitor? Seems to be promising, since it supports standard adaptive sync (i.e. not tied to gsync, so variable refresh rate should work with AMD), offers better than usual gray-to-gray response time (1ms supposedly), while using LG's new "nano-IPS" screen that offers good colors.

Last edited:
What do you think about upcoming LG 27GL850G monitor? Seems to be promising, since it supports standard adaptive sync (i.e. not tied to gsync, so variable refresh rate should work with AMD), offers better than usual gray-to-gray response time (1ms supposedly), while using LG's new "nano-IPS" screen that offers good colors.

Recommend their 32" 1440p 16:9 VA monitor. Come in both freesync and gysnc (the latter kinda redundant now that 10 and 20 series nvidia cards support freesync).

VA has much better blacks and no IPS glow. Some people see smearing at very high fps and others don't. Up to around 120hz is no smearing for most. (I think the real benefit for high refresh is up to ~100. Beyond that do we really notice?)

Anyway, the major benefit is the size. Larger area than a 34" 21:9, compatible with EVERYTHING - no messing around with HUDs or non supportive games, browsing, videos, work etc. Also much more forgiving @ 2560 x 1440 VS 3440 x 1440.

I was on 1440p 27" and, while it was sharper, the larger screen is SO much better ( Samsung 32" @ 6ohz). Much more immersive and overall better experience with everything. I recommend the same config for standard single monitor office setups. I'd take it over a smaller high refresh screen anyday.
I was looking at 38" ultrawides but game support at that resolution/ratio (24:10) is something to be desired. People report that gaming has no problems on 21:9 but a quick google with a raft of games clearly says otherwise. Countless HUD fixes and stuffing around with .ini files.
16:9 non-curved really does work. Also you'll find they are a fair bit cheaper

Unfortunately there are no IPS 32" 16:9 high refresh monitors yet for those who prefer IPS.
(here is the range of 32" 16:9 - https://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#W=3200,3750&r=256001440&C=0 )

As stated many times - 4k is dumb for gaming. Too many pixels to push (let alone scaling issues when you bump up the size to read text))

Last edited:
32" is a bit too big to my taste. 27" is about right. And I'm already used to IPS color quality (now using Dell Ultrasharp), so going to VA will probably be too annoying. For someone coming from TN, VA is an improvement. But coming from IPS it's a downgrade. So I'm looking for something good at 27", IPS, 144 Hz with adaptive sync.

So I'm looking for something good at 27", IPS, 144 Hz with adaptive sync.

Then theres a few more models for you to choose from. I'd wait until this is reviewed. it appears to be good but high refresh rate monitors don't seem to have have the build quality of 60hz. Much more of a panel lottery.
You know the drill - back light bleed, uniformity, etc.

I'd hazard a guess that none of them will beat your current dell for that. (why i havent upgraded to the LG i mentioned, its worse than my samsung apart from high refresh)

I'll wait for reviews of course. Yeah, colors might not be as good, but as long as they are not a lot worse, I'll be OK with it, to get higher refresh rate. And supposedly LG improved colors with nano IPS technology, so may be it's catching up now even for high refresh rate models.

As for backlight bleed, dead pixels and etc. That plagues many monitors, yes. Hopefully they won't cause any problems with RMAs.

Last edited:
Black light bleed is going to be a problem till you don't need to back light the panel any more. OLEDs aren't really ready for monitor duty, which is a shame, but that's probably not going to be true forever (will probably require a totally synthetic LED but maybe not)

have seen a review of the "nano ips" screen from LG, looked impressive.

There are multiple problems (like no working Wayland support, broken vsync, broken PRIME and etc.). When their blob in general works, it has annoyances that shouldn't even exist. In other cases it simply doesn't work (Wayland). All these issues with Nvidia on Linux are mostly related to one fundamental cause - they don't want to work with upstream kernel, and refuse to open up their drivers. Which I suspect is simply an anti-competive tactic, aimed more at the AI market, where they want to charge people more for "unlocking" some features.

If drivers were open like with AMD, they couldn't have done that. That's why I think they also prevent reverse engineered Nouveau driver from using GPU reclocking. Since once it's able to do it, Nvidia's blob driver will become obsolete and their market segmenting tricks will crumble all over. For some details about how they prevent reclocking for reverse engineered driver, see explanation from one of the leading Nouveau developers.

Regarding using one manufacturer - it's not ideal, but it's working OK for me. Vega is already good enough now, so I'd say Navi which is supposed to be better will be good enough as well. It's getting there, and will start beating Nvidia more noticeably when they'll polish the fresh RDNA microarchitecture. There are cases when AMD clearly beats Nvidia today. See this comment from dxvk developer (in big part thanks to him, we can play TW3 on Linux today with good performance).

Besides, next year things will change with Intel joining the two with their new high end GPUs, and Intel will have open drivers as well, so it will be free of all those Nvidia's like issues. That will make it better for Linux users, by providing more choice.
Post automatically merged:

One topic that comes up for adaptive sync monitors is dynamic overdrive. Looks like it's still a rough territory, and not all monitors support it.

Last edited:
The NAVI reveal left me utterly deflated. I'm building a current-gen rig right now, thinking AMD's latest moves would help me decide which GPU and CPU to put in there.

GPU wise, the whole Zen 2 thing made it VERY CLEAR that I'm going Ryzen 3000 over intel. The value-performance ratio is just too good. It matches intel's performance for half the price? Sold!

Navi though? Both of AMD's cards barely eke in over the competitor, for just a few tenners less, being far more power hungry, while still being roughly in Nvidia's price bracket. I'm not spending a minimum of $380 on this much unproven tech. This wasn't the piece of killer hardware I was looking for.

Think I'll buy that Ryzen 3000 CPU, but I'll simply salvage my old GTX 970 from my old rig and use that until AMD/Nvidia/Intel give me SOMETHING to look forward to. That way I can hold off on buying a 1440p monitor too. If my 970 breaks, I'd rather buy a GTX 1660 than going either NAVI or RTX.
Cyberpunk is still 10 months away. I can wait. GPU bottleneck aside, I'll have a functioning computer. It'll give them time to figure out this Ray Tracing and power consumption malarkey too. I just want there to be a GPU launch that'll truly impress me within that timespan as a must have. Let's see what NAVI 20 and Intell do in 2020.

Last edited:
The NAVI reveal left me utterly deflated. I'm building a current-gen rig right now, thinking AMD's latest moves would help me decide which GPU and CPU to put in there.

I wouldnt hold my breath for Intel GPU. Who knows when in 2020 and what performance.
Nvidia 3000 series due in 2020, hopefully before April. (2000 series too underpowered for adequate raytracing. The hope is with the 3000 series.)
Due to the 2000 series 1080ti still keeping a high price, however for $450-550 used its still very good. It should be a fair bit cheaper by April.

Id recommend a more powerful card than the 1660 for 1440p. That and a large 32" 16:9 1440p monitor like weve been talking. Not too expensive and If you dont want/need 100+hz they are cheaper still.

Heck they start at $219 for an AOC IPS 75hz freesync. Top notch quality 60hz VA samsung is $330. Here are models (dont buy curved - these all non curved)
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#r=256001440&W=3150,3400&C=0&sort=price&page=1

Combined with good card and it'll be the best upgrade youll ever do for a pc. Better than the voodoo upgrade all those years ago.

Last edited:
Navi though? Both of AMD's cards barely eke in over the competitor, for just a few tenners less, being far more power hungry, while still being roughly in Nvidia's price bracket. I'm not spending a minimum of $380 on this much unproven tech. This wasn't the piece of killer hardware I was looking for.

I'd wait for benchmarks, the cards aren't even out yet to evaluate different use cases. Their microarchitecture is new, so there will need to be multiple benchmarks for different workloads to understand what's what.

From what I've read, RDNA is addressing many of their previous gaming related processing bottlenecks, so it's clearly a major step forward. But like with Ryzen, it can take a few iterations to start more consistently beating competition. With CPU it only started being apparent in Zen 2 (which is actually third generation already). So they'll get there with GPUs as well.

I'm personally planning to get the 12 core Ryzen 9 3900X.
Post automatically merged:

Linux kernel patches for Navi surface up: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMD-Navi-10-Linux-Kernel-Patch

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. (y)

I'm personally planning to get the 12 core Ryzen 9 3900X.

I'm going to have to fit my Ryzen 3000 into a high-end MSI B450M Mortar motherboard, so I think I'll play it safe and go for the 3700X. That way I can still tinker at overclocking too without burning out my MOBO. The combination should still be enough to last me for another 6 years. Don't think the consoles will top that.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. (y)

I'm going to have to fit my Ryzen 3000 into a high-end MSI B450M Mortar motherboard, so I think I'll play it safe and go for the 3700X. That way I can still tinker at overclocking too without burning out my MOBO. The combination should still be enough to last me for another 6 years. Don't think the consoles will top that.

pretty sure the word out of CES was that MSI said that their older AMD boards are not going to be updated to take the Zen 2 CPUs. So might want to check compatibility.

pretty sure the word out of CES was that MSI said that their older AMD boards are not going to be updated to take the Zen 2 CPUs. So might want to check compatibility.

No problem! Only the B370 and B350 motherboards are contentious, with it being up to the manufacturer.

AMD and all the major motherboard suppliers have already confirmed the X470 and B450 MOBOS will fit for the exact same performance.

In fact, AMD have all but advised mid-level users to just stick with the 400 series motherboards. The only thing that'll be missing is PCIe 4.0, but I don't need special storage solutions and don't see GPUs needing more than PCIe 3.0 for quite some time to come.

Don Woligroski from AMD said:
“If someone’s searching for a platform, and doesn’t really need that enthusiast-class PCIe Gen4 storage, or you’re not planning to buy a PCIe Gen 4 graphics card in the next six months to a year, it makes a lot of sense to look at those lower-tier boards like the X470 and B450, which will offer the same performance on those 3rd Gen Ryzen processors as the X570 will.”

No problem! Only the B370 and B350 motherboards are contentious, with it being up to the manufacturer.

Yep, just get a reliable mobo that has all the features you need and don't spend a penny more. Dump any remaining into the GPU.
Mobos are one part in which people blow a bit on features theyll never use/need.

Top Bottom