Building Your Character Thread

+

Will you play as a male or a female protagonist for your first walkthrough?

• Total voters
I wonder if I'll be able to recreate that one Solo character I made once. He was a tall mass of muscles (partially due to Grafted Muscle, topped off with Advanced Muscle and Bone Lace) who'd gotten bodysculpting done to look like Jaws from the old Bond movies - complete with the steel teeth. He used to drive around the city in a smart car that could barely contain him. People would laugh but for some odd reason most of them stopped when he flashed that winning smile of his...

Implementing them storywise would be difficult. Solo/Netrunner/Techie can, to some extent follow similar path. Corporate is a different pair of shoes, usually misunderstood by players. The same with rockerboy. But if you look at this, there's a mention about corporate and rockerboy in form of perks choice.

I saw this on reddit and the part about corporate and rockerboy perks was cross out, dunno if that means that it was corrected or something, here is link to reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/cyberpunkgame/comments/8qlsp7

Hey brother, sadly, all excitement has been muted by the decision to force fpp on us. Still coming to terms with that.
For my part it isn't the FPP (for myself personally, but yes I'm raising hell for those that are physically effected by the decision) or even the FPS combat (that was expected, even if not something I prefer, or in many cases can even play.) It's the apparent "dumbing down" of the skills and equipment (cyberware etc.) to focus (almost) entirely on combat and be so streamlined your "choice" is to focus on "Gun type A or Gun type B". Do I take "skills" and pick cyberware that allow me to kick the door off it's hinges, or hack, or pick the lock? So your "choice" is what method do you use to open a door? Your character stat/skill/cyberware customization is "How do I kill stuff"?

Now this may well be (and probably is) due to the focus the "journalists" have placed on combat (because that's all they know) but one would think that at least one of them would have mentioned something besides how great the graphics and combat are if they saw something more then graphics and combat to the game.

Last edited:
This is just as bad. These argumentative, insulting posts don't serve any purpose.

Can we please all just settle the f*** down? It's a video game. I know it's a video game we're all very excited for, but we all have our own reasons for feeling the way we do.

If you have motion sickness (like myself), wait and see if CDPR has accessibility options (and if they don't have any planned, THAT is something we can rant and rave about, because it'd be WAY easier to implement those than to make an entirely new perspective). If you simply don't like FPP, that's not a reason for it to be in the game if the devs decided against it.

To address the more on-topic argument of the lack of additional classes, I know, it sucks. Especially for those of you who are PnP fans. But I think we can all take a step back and realize, without being a "CDPR fanboy," that it would have been very hard for them to implement every class and make them all feel useful at all times.

I know, based on Mike's earlier statements, that we were all hoping for them to be in there in some form... but that's not quite how it turned out, unfortunately. Maybe he shouldn't have said anything. I don't know. But this is where we are and we can't change the past.

We're talking dialogue, stories, entire perk trees and mechanics geared specifically towards each class... In case you forgot, there's quite a few classes in the PnP.

Again, it sucks, but please, try to understand that CDPR doesn't just make decisions willy-nilly. They do them because they've decided (with the knowledge they have, which is probably quite a bit more involved than ours) that it's the right move for the game.

Judging by the previews? Seems the decisions they've made are working out pretty damn well.

I had pretty unrealistic expectations for each role coming with unique questline, but it seems they have a very solid foundation here, if previews are anything to go by.

So long as series go in direction of expanding that RPG part.

For my part it isn't the FPP (for myself personally, but yes I'm raising hell for those that are physically effected by the decision) or even the FPS combat (that was expected, even if not something I prefer, or in many cases can even play.) It's the apparent "dumbing down" of the skills and equipment (cyberware etc.) to focus (almost) entirely on combat and be so streamlined your "choice" is to focus on "Gun type A or Gun type B". Do I take "skills" and pick cyberware that allow me to kick the door off it's hinges, or hack, or pick the lock? So your "choice" is what method do you use to open a door? Your character stat/skill/cyberware customization is "How do I kill stuff"?

Now this may well be (and probably is) due to the focus the "journalists" have placed on combat (because that's all they know) but one would think that at least one of them would have mentioned something besides how great the graphics and combat are if they saw something more then graphics and combat to the game.

I am definitely seeing a ton of red flags. It seems like all the talk of translating the Cyberpunk system into the video game mechanics was just more piping dreams...

I will still support this game,.even though I will likely not be able to play, because I love the property and want a decent franchise built. I still loved the trailer. But damn, it certainly seems that we are moving further away from the game we were expecting.

Jesus fuck, I still want to create my opportunist characters.... an insidious corp, a crooked cop, and the ruthless media.

I read somewhere that there might be perks that accommodate for some of the lost roles, but it's third hand info and can't be trusted. And anyway, a couple of media or cop perks wouldn't cut it for genuine playthrough anyway.

I am definitely seeing a ton of red flags. It seems like all the talk of translating the Cyberpunk system into the video game mechanics was just more piping dreams...

I will still support this game,.even though I will likely not be able to play, because I love the property and want a decent franchise built. I still loved the trailer. But damn, it certainly seems that we are moving further away from the game we were expecting.

Some things simply don't translate well and it's better to focus on something else. Can anyone name me crpg where Luck plays important role? Attractiveness? Humanity as a stat is simply silly in this format. Also roles like Nomad would be hellishly hard to implement.

If someone told me there would be a game with dynamic, detailed world of massive scale like in GTA, With actual Interactivity, along with Open gameplay like in Deus Ex and More complex rpg mechanics than most of it's peers...I'd simply point him to a nearby mental institution.

Plus some of features could very easily turn out revolutionary, like what they're doing with dialogue system.

Playing as a lady Solo. A street vixen who will take any job to further her rise to the top of the food chain.

Me being a male, I never have been able to play as a female in "create-a-character" games. I know it's a popular thing to do, I just could never get my head around it. That being said, I'll probably make a couple male characters, with the first being a version of myself. Down the line, I would move towards creating different unique characters that satisfy my headcanon.

Is it safe to assume that the game will feature a similar approach to character creation like in Mass Effect with a basically set protag with his own personality and motivations?

I agree that it would be rather difficult to give all the classes their own respective fleshed out storylines and perks, but I am disappointed that it seems some classes won't play a role outside of the occasional "oh hey that citizen is a corp, and that one is media". I wasn't too happy about FPP, but it's like the blows keep coming. Will still play tho.

I want more information. Is the info we have because of game design? Reviewer focus? Or simply that they were playing an alpha build that barely reflects most of what's in the game?

I want to know more before I decide on my character.

90% cyberware and gear in CP2020 was about "How do I kill stuff" better :)

First of all, gender doesn't define character.

It's all narrative point of view that influences your choice for gender. If you're a person who usually identify with a character as being a representative of you in that world, then you would pick same gender. First person narrative point of view occurs when the narrator is telling the story. (ie. Yourself as the main protagonist) ... Third person omniscient point of view features a god-like narrator who is able to enter into the minds and action of all the characters to tell the story.

This is where the whole First person/Third person debacle creeps in. First person would present you better as the main character in your own story rather than an observer looking over the shoulder of a pre-defined character with his/her own background. That's why they included a background story creator.

I think people should really get over the fpp vs tpp argument.

With that said, I hope CDPR offer more gender choices than the obvious two, that's to say if they truly want to replicate the social political climate in the year 2077. Or in the year 2018 come to think of it.

Night City. Here I am. What a dump…
Why am I here? Revenge. Okay, pay for my drink and I tell you a bit more. I spend the last 3 years in prison and on parole for beating the shit out of the stupid rich kids that attacked & caused my little baby sister (Alice) to lose her child. Hadn´t hat the stomach for killing back then.

They had lots of money - we hadn´t - so they got free, I got Swedish curtains and Alice forced psyche treatment. My intentions are fairly simple, gather the resources necessary to burn there world to the ground, let them lose everything they have and care about and kill em in the end. If you have a problem with that you better move now.

No? Good then we can talk. Ah sure, what I am capable off? I was pro level MMA fighter (top 87) in the No-mod league. Got a lot of training in Handguns as off late and started to work on my Netrunning skills. If I have still reservations against mods? Never had reservations, that was a question off money and I would not, will not shove Russian cyber-garbage into my bod.
So what do you what me to do? Got problems with a Ripper gang and they snatched the wrong person? Yeah I can deal with that.

What to call me? Vicious Victoria was my Stage name so i guess we can go with V...

Some things simply don't translate well and it's better to focus on something else. Can anyone name me crpg where Luck plays important role? Attractiveness? Humanity as a stat is simply silly in this format. Also roles like Nomad would be hellishly hard to implement.

If someone told me there would be a game with dynamic, detailed world of massive scale like in GTA, With actual Interactivity, along with Open gameplay like in Deus Ex and More complex rpg mechanics than most of it's peers...I'd simply point him to a nearby mental institution.

Plus some of features could very easily turn out revolutionary, like what they're doing with dialogue system.
To my knowledge, no one has ever tried to implement luck as a game mechanic. Edit: I forgot about Fallout, thanks Suhira!

Humanity is far from silly, as it deermines how much cyber your body and mind can handle.

And really? Hellishly hard? Let's see, a nomad done historically could simply use his ability to call for backup, where a few buddies show up to provide you with gear, or a ride, or maybe eve fight with you as NPC's, which are all pretty simple things done in dozens of games. Or, if you want even simpler, let being a nomad give you bonuses to driving. Gee, that was easy. Hell, making the PC a nomad from the start would give some sense of reason for the inevitable in game tutorial.

The point is, we were led to believe they would be using the tabletop game rules as the basis for the video game mechanics, and that plan seems to have been... not sure if minimized is the proper word here, but certainly it seems to not be as important as it once was.

Last edited:
Top Bottom