Camera Stutter Master Thread - Share your info

+
Well, I am unsure if it really affects everyone. Several people have told me they don't notice it or that it's not there on their machines/PS4s, but to be honest, I also haven't found a single gameplay vid that doesn't have the camera stutter - of course, 90% of the vids have people quick-turning their camera or not using it at all...

Someone on youtube suggested a fix for the stuttering on Xbox One by doing a hard reset while the gamenis running (press power until the Xbox shuts down - use at own risk), but just going from the number of videos available and the views they have gathered, I might not be sure it affects everyone, but I also wouldn't call the affected a "minority".
Usually, the way I look at it, for every person going online to look for info about an issue, there are 10-20 people that don't, either because they don't notice or because they don't care enough. Then for every person actually posting about an issue online or making a vid, there are (I think) up to 50 people with the same issue that don't.

We might be that "vocal minority" people like to talk about regarding forums... but I don't think we are a minority when it comes to the amount of people affected...

Well, I am unsure if it really affects everyone. Several people have told me they don't notice it or that it's not there on their machines/PS4s, but to be honest, I also haven't found a single gameplay vid that doesn't have the camera stutter - of course, 90% of the vids have people quick-turning their camera or not using it at all...

Someone on youtube suggested a fix for the stuttering on Xbox One by doing a hard reset while the gamenis running (press power until the Xbox shuts down - use at own risk), but just going from the number of videos available and the views they have gathered, I might not be sure it affects everyone, but I also wouldn't call the affected a "minority".
Usually, the way I look at it, for every person going online to look for info about an issue, there are 10-20 people that don't, either because they don't notice or because they don't care enough. Then for every person actually posting about an issue online or making a vid, there are (I think) up to 50 people with the same issue that don't.

We might be that "vocal minority" people like to talk about regarding forums... but I don't think we are a minority when it comes to the amount of people affected...

It could be that some of us have serperate but very similar problems. I don't see much camera stuttering when paning the camera. I only see stuttering/hitching when walking or trotting (not running) with Roach. It happens like clockwork during each animation cycle. These problems could be two sides of the same coin.

Well, I never noticed an issue with the horse. But I just really want it to go away.

I was yelling at my PS4 to stop stuttering. Didn't help. Now she's not talking at all, hiding in her room :(

Some people just don't notice. I remember playing Far Cry 4 on PC with G-sync which had a crap load of hitching in it. My friend was like "No, it's silky smooth on my setup, butter smooth" so out of interest I went round to see for myself, and sure enough it was the same hitch/stutter shit fest that was on my setup, he just didn't even notice. =[

Some people just don't notice. I remember playing Far Cry 4 on PC with G-sync which had a crap load of hitching in it. My friend was like "No, it's silky smooth on my setup, butter smooth" so out of interest I went round to see for myself, and sure enough it was the same hitch/stutter shit fest that was on my setup, he just didn't even notice. =[

Out of interest was that resolved in Far Cry 4? I noticed on the Xbox One, but only if I used the Instant On mode and went straight back into the game, if I closed the game and reopened it was fine. As far was I'm aware that wasn't fixed, I could confirm that later.

With regards to seeing it on other peoples Xbox, I had a few friends record panning the camera in the same location at a similar time of day, mine was very noticeable, I couldn't tell it was happening to theirs (2 people). They have now noticed it in the main town now, though. I think for whatever reason, it's affecting people in varying degrees.

Hi !
I'm a french gamer and i have the same problem on my PS4. I'm a huge fan of the Witcher saga and the games of CD Projekt Red. I buy the PS4 this month FOR the Witcher 3.
But, even after the patch 1.03, the framerate is very bad, very slow in novigrad, in the bogs...etc and it's almost unplayable ! I dont understand why, cause lors of my friends say: "The framerate is fine and smooth on PS4". They say "we have no framerate drops on cinematics" . What !!?!

For exemple, the framerate was very slow in my PS4 in the first cinematics with the griffon. When I see "streaming walkthrought", i see the same.

And i have lots of shuttering in game. When i turn the camera, when i walk, when i ride Ablette....Its very diseagreable.

I hope the next patch fix this issues...

Last edited:
Out of interest was that resolved in Far Cry 4? I noticed on the Xbox One, but only if I used the Instant On mode and went straight back into the game, if I closed the game and reopened it was fine. As far was I'm aware that wasn't fixed, I could confirm that later.

With regards to seeing it on other peoples Xbox, I had a few friends record panning the camera in the same location at a similar time of day, mine was very noticeable, I couldn't tell it was happening to theirs (2 people). They have now noticed it in the main town now, though. I think for whatever reason, it's affecting people in varying degrees.

I think I gave up in the end as it had been patched a fair few times already and still ran janky, might have been fixed now... but I doubt it.

Guys I have figured out the reason behind the analog stick stuttering!

I have played 60+ hours thus far, so I noticed tons of bugs and know what I'm talking about: The stuttering occurs due to the constant auto center function of the camera. Although it's not the single cause of the stuttering, it considerably affects the perception of 'unsmoothness'.

The camera is permanently fighting the player when looking around with the right analog stick. 4-5 seconds duration time on foot before auto center steps in, and 2 seconds while riding Roach and looking around/up/down.

Another issue regarding the camera is the predefined angle itself. It's focused very much on the ground instead of the horizon. The camera floats above Geralt instead of being behind him. Trying to correct it manually also increases the stuttering while walking/riding.

In combat mode, the camera is set even higher, resulting in massive framerate drops when trying to recalibrate the angle with the analog stick. Duration time of redefined angle less then 2 seconds - absolutely fatal for the framerate!

To make it short: We need an option to disable auto center both vertically and horizontally. This should eliminate 90% of the camera stuttering, I am sure of it!

Please is there any Community Mod to adress this information to the devs??

Guys I have figured out the reason behind the analog stick stuttering!

I have played 60+ hours thus far, so I noticed tons of bugs and know what I'm talking about: The stuttering occurs due to the constant auto center function of the camera. Although it's not the single cause of the stuttering, it considerably affects the perception of 'unsmoothness'.

The camera is permanently fighting the player when looking around with the right analog stick. 4-5 seconds duration time on foot before auto center steps in, and 2 seconds while riding Roach and looking around/up/down.

Another issue regarding the camera is the predefined angle itself. It's focused very much on the ground instead of the horizon. The camera floats above Geralt instead of being behind him. Trying to correct it manually also increases the stuttering while walking/riding.

In combat mode, the camera is set even higher, resulting in massive framerate drops when trying to recalibrate the angle with the analog stick. Duration time of redefined angle less then 2 seconds - absolutely fatal for the framerate!

To make it short: We need an option to disable auto center both vertically and horizontally. This should eliminate 90% of the camera stuttering, I am sure of it!

Please is there any Community Mod to adress this information to the devs??

That's one side of the issue though,even without turning the camera you can notice a deformed screen while turning,maybe related to an auto correction of the camera YES,the problem is the horse does this even when walking a straight line.

yeah its a good idea, it could be that, but only the devs could tell us, also far cry 4 was never fixed on pc, the stuttering, in brought it on ps4 and it didnt do it at all, so they probably intentionly fuked the pc vrsion

yeah its a good idea, it could be that, but only the devs could tell us, also far cry 4 was never fixed on pc, the stuttering, in brought it on ps4 and it didnt do it at all, so they probably intentionly fuked the pc vrsion

We do not mention those who shall not be named lol.

There's some good reasoning in Hekkton's analysis, but that doesn't seem to explain why the stuttering also happens when simply turning the camera around Geralt while he's standing still. The auto-center function doesn't kick in when the character is not moving, yet the camera is noticeably choppy.

yeah thats true, it happens when standing still, i find its worse in some places wich is why i think its more of a performence issue, someone said they are using umbra for culling or something, i personly think they overreached with this game and it ended up barely playable

i think they know about this problem but its going to take time to fix, IF it can be fixed

I can only speak for the issues I am experiencing on my own PS4, but I am positive the camera auto-centering, as @Ryusennin said, does not cause the stutter, since the stutter, the very same stutter as far as I can tell, also happens when panning the camera standing completely still. If it is the same stutter, then the auto-centering might exacerbate the issue, but does not cause it.

---------- Updated at 09:44 PM ----------

I am by now almost back to believing this to be a performance issue - as it seems that after a while of panning in one direction the stutter grows less until you reverse direction - but then the same stutter should also happen when the camera is auto-centered during riding or swimming, or locked onto an enemy. Which it does not, or at least much less.

---------- Updated at 09:48 PM ----------

Maybe it does have something to do with the way the game "expects" that only the things in the direction of where Geralt is looking should be rendered (or pre-rendered or be available from memory or something). That might explain why the stutter mostly/only happens when manually using the camera and not when the game takes control of the camera during riding etc. Since the automatic camera turning responds in a slight delay to the turning of the character/horse maybe that is enough time to "announce" that "this is what we will be looking at, you get it ready to render"?

I tried playing again today just to see if i could force myself through the first segment of the game but no matter how much i tried, i just couldn't.
It almost looks as though the environment is overlapping/clipping itself as you pan the camera, it drives me up the wall.

And maybe when using the camera manually, that slight "warning" is not there, resulting in the stutters? And could a delay in camera response be a possible fix?

---------- Updated at 09:55 PM ----------

Stupid Line Breaks forcing me to keep updating my post...

So, to put my though into coherent literary structure:

Maybe the stutter has something to do with the way the game "expects" that only the things in the direction of where Geralt is looking should be rendered (or pre-rendered or be available from memory or something).

That might explain why the stutter mostly/only happens when manually using the camera and not when the game takes control of the camera during riding etc.
Since the automatic camera turning responds in a slight delay to the turning of the character/horse maybe that is enough time to "announce" that "this is what we will be looking at, you get it ready to render"?

And maybe when using the camera manually, that slight "warning" is not there, resulting in the stutters? And could a delay in camera response be a possible fix?

mmm very interesting points have been made in the last couple of pages .......

But i can be more than certain the horse stutter is not system / driver specific as its timing of the glitch/stutter is in sync with the horse anim and is for me every 500ms while at the slowest pace ....

Panning however could be the system fps ups and downs... but i do not have any of these issues re performance panning the only way i can simulate panning stutter if i force 4k res all on ultra settings with vsync on as i start to lose 60fps and the dips cause stutter in parts while panning .....

Now i have tested with the lowest setting possible vsync on or off and still same 500ms stutter every time with the horse

If i find time Friday will try to capture as best as possible this stutter rather than use video capture fraps ect i am thinking of using a high end camera as this should pick it up more problem is then you tube as this may mess with the stutter will see...

Top Bottom