CD projekt and the problem with the characters in the novels.

+
CD projekt and the problem with the characters in the novels.

I think CDProjekt shines when writes original characters, new to the world of the Witcher and fails when use characters from the novels.
Maybe we will see a Witcher game with characters that are not tied to the canons of the novels, Maybe then the studio could shine. Compare Roche, Iorveth, Letho, the Bloody Baron, the Crones Myths, and the two guys from HOS with Zoltan Jaskier (Dandelion) Yen, Ciri, EREDIN, all the Kings of the North and the list goes on...
The study is talented enought to try a New story with new characters set in the Witcher world.
Sorry for my stupid english. Hope is clear what i try to say.

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

Meh, I really liked Yennefer, Philippa, Keira, Zoltan, Eskel and Lambert in TW3, so it depends on the writers of those characters. Besides, Yennefer and Ciri not appearing at all in the games about Geralt would be ridiculous.
But, yes - in most cases, the're better with their own characters

I do think they can excel with their own characters, but I don't think it's as clear cut as just novel characters vs game characters.
Radovid's portrayal in Witcher 3 wasn't very popular, but he may as well have been an original character considering he was barely in the books. To consider him a book character would be to consider characters like Shilard, Dethmold, and Iorveth book characters too, because they were mentioned briefly.

On the flip side, Zoltan, Dandilion, Yennefer etc. are fine IMO, just as good as the crones, the Bloody Baron, etc. I think CDPR just has some chars that are better than others. If anything, I'd say they're better at writing characters of moderate fame at most than any monarch.

Seriously, my only issue is how they handled Dandelion...with Geralt, Triss, Ciri...I understand how they needed to adapt them to different roles and to a different audience, but here they could have done a lot better and remained more true to his character as it is in the books.

jj284b

Forum veteran
whats the problem with Dandelion? He is precisely as careless in W3 as he is in books.. and annoying as well.. yet, if he was written anyhow differently, i guess everybody would complain he is different than he should be..

I found characters not to be very far from what they were in the books. If I have any problems with them it's the visual design, but we would have to stay closer to W1 design, so maybe it would not be a good idea.

Simply put no video game writers (and to be fair even most real book writers) are even close to the level of Sapkowski. So yeah, CDPR do well when they do their original characters and dont have to be compared to Sapkowski. They can not look really good in the vast majority of the cases when a book character is in the scene.

It is natural if a bit... disheartening. At least most of the time it is a valiant effort.

Tbh I'd love if the next Witcher game while retaining the lore and the universe we love and appreciate focus on new CDPR created characters and stories so that people would stop comparing the games and the books.

Tbh I'd love if the next Witcher game while retaining the lore and the universe we love and appreciate focus on new CDPR created characters and stories so that people would stop comparing the games and the books.

Honestly I would still do it. Comparing the franchise to its best (and its best will not be a video game that is 100% certain ).

How I wrote in past in another thread: To be honest I distinguish completely between the story of the books and the games. So Triss of the books is another person like she is in the games. And between the games are differences too!!! If I remember on the Triss of TW1 and now. Sorry that can't be the same person in my opinion... So for me only the background of the world is always the same. That is really based on the world that Sapkowski created.
So I dislike Triss in TW1 and I like her in TW3. Crazy I know but that's the way it is. >:D

Last edited:
Honestly I would still do it. Comparing the franchise to its best (and its best will not be a video game that is 100% certain ).

Well there would be no character to compare on. It's a different story set in the same universe and written by CDPR. You can compare oranges and mandarin oranges they superficially looks quite similar but in the end they are different fruits so you would end up comparing two different things. I guess you can do that for sake of ranting but I don't see really the point of it.

Last edited:
So I dislike Triss in TW1 and I like her in TW3. Crazy I know but that's the way it is. >:D

In some ways TW1 is better (other than the obvious limitations due to the age of the game/engine and the lower budget), she plays a more important role throughout the game, and has generally more complete content - in Witcher 3 after Now or Never feels more like a character from a Bethesda game with how much it is cut down. TW1 also implements the choice vs. Shani better.

In some ways TW1 is better (other than the obvious limitations due to the age of the game/engine and the lower budget), she plays a more important role throughout the game, and has generally more complete content - in Witcher 3 after Now or Never feels more like a character from a Bethesda game with how much it is cut down. TW1 also implements the choice vs. Shani better.

In that point I agree with you 100%. After "Now or never" she is very faceless like a doll. I mean it's a little bit better through the patch content. But to be honest it doesn' save it... In TW1 she was the really more interesting character, But in TW she is more lovely... :heart:

Well, Triss' characterisation in the games has never been the most consistent, but it's been bungled up immensely in TW3. What with the unnecessary dulcification and eventual sidelining the end result was a less compelling character than in the books and both TW1 and TW2. I find that a true shame because there is potential for greatness in Triss and CDPR seemed quite invested in her development for a while.

In that point I agree with you 100%. After "Now or never" she is very faceless like a doll. I mean it's a little bit better through the patch content. But to be honest it doesn' save it...

Some more involvement in a quest or two later in the game would have helped a lot, even in Blindingly Obvious she has only a relatively minor role. Not sure how much had to be cut during the development of the game - in the leaked documents, I see her on the cast of characters for quests in Act 3, and even in Carnal Sins, but these may have been minor roles; also in the file names of a few scenes in The Sunstone. I guess the handful of one-liners and "Well?" in Battle Preparations and the finale are less than what was planned, but we will probably not find out what it could have been like in the ideal case.

Top Bottom