CDPR Should do Game of Thrones

+
Uh, You have a source for that? CDPR have full creative control as far as I know, just as they did with the Witcher series.

The RPS interview back in 2013, around when everything started.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/05/mike-pondsmith-talks-reinventing-cyberpunk/

Mike said “As for shooting down [ideas proposed by CD Projekt]: yeah, in the beginning, there were a few ideas that came out of left field, but we all got zeroed in pretty fast on what we all wanted, and it’s been pretty solid ever since.”

I took this as not having full control because he mentioned earlier in that interview and in the video he did about how some people just wanted to slap the Cyberpunk title on something not Cyberpunk or were only going to do a half assed job of it.

My understanding is that CDPR needed to convince Mike that they would do a good job on it before he would let them use the IP, and that he is involved as a consultant (unlike Sapkowski), but that once he had licenced the IP to them, they had full creative control over what they would do. I honestly don't see CDPR allowing someone else to have the ability to veto their design choices - they've made it clear in many interviews that they won't do that.

It would worry me a lot if Mike Pondsmith had to approve stuff - I could see this as delaying the game by a long, long time.

Sorry, not sure if there's already a dedicated thread to this, I couldn't find one.

My personal opinion, but I think if CD Project Red gets offered a chance to make a Game of Thrones game, they should jump on it. Geralt's story I heard was wrapped up with Witcher 3 The Wild Hunt, also the author was upset in that lawsuit with CD Projekt Red.

I know there was a leak that the Game of Thrones creators were looking for a studio to develop a Game of Thrones open-world style game, and I can personally think of no better company to do a GoT game justice other than CD Projekt Red.

I'm just looking at everything they've done for Cyberpunk, and imagining what this kind of thing would be like if done for Game of Thrones.

I've only recently become a fan of the TV series given all the talk that's been going around about the show. I purchased the first season and was wowed by what I saw. I deeply regret not watching it all of these years. Now I own the first 6 seasons and they were pretty difficult to get a hold of cause they keep running out of stock in my town.

I just think given all the traction the TV series has, a game for it would be just amazing, it has an amazing world, amazing lore, intelligent writing dialogue and characters, and super dark and terrifying forms of magic.

Part of why I post this is I never liked Geralt as a character, The Witcher has always been this amazing game that I always quit after 3 hours cause Geralt says something that just rubs me the wrong way. I'm not trying to insult the character or CD Projekt Red, I just can't stand Geralt personally that's all.

I know Witcher has a huge following, I'm just saying that on my end Game of Thrones from CD Projekt Red would be a dream come true, and I think it would be a huge hit! That's all.

Last edited:

rrc

Forum veteran
Hold that thought till you watch completely (this is coming from someone who had just finished watching the last episode S08E06). I wouldn't watch any spinoffs based on GoT or any game based on GoT as it has been ruined and went downhill very fast. Of course, that is just my opinion, but I was rather a huge fan of GoT till Season 6.

Personally, Geralt as character is amazing and I don't know what made you hate him. It is personal to everyone of course. You should read the books starting from The Last Wish and then The Sword Of Destiny and then into the main Saga. Geralt is one of the greatest characters I have read in any fiction. The games do the justice, but in the game, it is you who play as Geralt and would do things which he would never do in the book.

Forum veteran
I just think given all the traction the TV series has, a game for it would be just amazing, it has an amazing world, amazing lore, intelligent writing dialogue and characters, and super dark and terrifying forms of magic.

One already exists, developed by Cyanide Studios:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/208730/Game_of_Thrones/

I seem to remember GRRM helping with the writing. If so, it shows; it takes a little getting used to the gameplay, but the story is really good. The series just ended, and the prequels aren't going to have the same groundswell of hype to justify a game that'd come out in 4-5 years, so that's likely all we're going to get RPG game-wise.

No, Game of Thrones is too bland for CDPR. Ubisoft stuff imho. I personally think CDPR should focus on IPs with tons of books and lore behind them to draw inspiration from, just like Wticher 3 had, lots of cool stuff. Btw, Martin is already working with Dark Souls devs.

Also Elder Scrolls should continue Game of Thrones's TV-show, thats what I think. Sure there gotta be something after 8 season? Spend more money, more magic, more effects and success is quaranteed. Yeah, its kinda tricky to resell the idea to custumers though but if anybody BGS can do it.

Last edited:
With the Witcher(maybe) coming out on Flixnet, it kinda ends up filling that fantasy-void the GoT fans want. There is no way CDPR should work on a GoT game with what still needs to happen to Cyberpunk. I would be disappointed in them. They would also loose so much money because they have a franchise(The Witcher) that is still somewhat in it's infancy and very related to GoT. There's a lot more that can come out of the Witcher universe, while GoT has ended. You can't expect CDPR to resurrect and hold up the GoT franchise in video game form. That would be absurd.

I can echo having a difficult time relating to the Geralt character, and would be all for a fantasy game where one could create/design their own character, but, I'm not sure the GoT universe would be the right setting.

If anything, I think I'd have a stronger preference for an open world fantasy RPG that draws from many different, well-loved fantasy series without necessarily being any one of those.
I'm a little partial to the concept of a Post-Post-Apocalyptic fantasy world that takes place well after the fall of a long dead high-technology civilization, where off-shoots of humanity or "races" could plausibly be the result of genetic tinkering and/or bio-weapons thousands of years ago, but, all that knowledge is lost and your character lives in a world that's basically swords and sorcery, with, perhaps, room for a tiny bit of sci-fi.

The benefits to drawing from a broad range of sources, however it could manifests, is that developer X, whether it's CDPR, or someone else, doesn't have any of the baggage that comes with something already established, and, they're not beholden to anyone regarding licensing, copyright, or any other nonsense.

I get that some folks want to see the world of XYZ portrayed as an open world game because they've enjoyed the books, movies, or TV shows, but, you have those already. Why cling to them? Sail over the horizon and claim new lands, and go on new adventures in new worlds that might be a little familiar, but, also new enough that some surprises can trip one up.

Eh. That's my spin.
It's a "no" from me for a GoT game.
Let's have something new, and different, something not married to some already established copyrighted already-done baggage-laden concept, something that allows for character creation.

:)

Guest 3847602

I don't think the story is good enough. Witcher books are way above A Song of Ice and Fire. CDPR should work on something better.
This!
No offense to anyone, but I'd take the adaptation of Sapko's Hussite Trilogy or one of Sienkiewicz's novels any day over ASoIaF.

I don't think the story is good enough. Witcher books are way above A Song of Ice and Fire. CDPR should work on something better.

Thats here Im at too. I really doubt Game of Thrones has enough cool stuff for Trilogy maybe for one massive game but thats it. WIth Ubisoft's style maybe trilogy could be possible though. Im assuming here that CDPR is doing trilogies, didnt they say Witcher series has ended. Game of Thrones has 7 books, Cyberpunk 30+. Yeah CDPR needs more meat'ier IPs

Last edited:
Creative Assembly's "Total War: Westeros" would be awesome, but yeah, I think CDPR should focus on something else.

GoT I think, doesn't have enough elements in its world to turn into a clear-cut RPG. GoT is too focused on inter-personel storyline set in a semi-realistic world. You'll need to have Giants, Dragons and Children of the Forest in every nook and cranny to turn GoT into an RPG, which GoT has never been about.

Creative Assembly's "Total War: Westeros" would be awesome, but yeah, I think CDPR should focus on something else.

GoT I think, doesn't have enough elements in its world to turn into a clear-cut RPG. GoT is too focused on inter-personel storyline set in a semi-realistic world. You'll need to have Giants, Dragons and Children of the Forest in every nook and cranny to turn GoT into an RPG, which GoT has never been about.
You totally could if you leave Westeros.

As some have said here, I'd kill to see a CDPR take on the novels. Show criticisms aside, the book series is more fantasy-based. That's just a better foundation for any upcoming videogame. And given the unfinished nature of the series, CDPR could even work in the Witcher/Cyberpunk weight of decision-making. There could be several endings based on the choices you make with the main ISOIAF characters.

I'm sure the GoT licence is easier said than done, or else we'd see an EA/Star Wars-like takeover by now. But if anyone can do this series justice, even more so than HBO, it'd be CDPR.

I mean in the literary sense, A Song of Ice and Fire just doesn't cut it IMHO. If Witcher books are often about struggle for humanity in the world where "monsters" can be more humane than monstrous humans, A Song of Ice and Fire is mostly about power maniacs who go insane with their thirst for even more power. I just don't like the whole premise of the settings.

Guest 4211861

Just let the series die. It was bad to begin with, got decent, then again bad, at the end.

I still don't get what the hype was about. [...]

Editd. -Drac

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom