'Classic' Gameplay Mode / Difficulty Setting

+

'Classic' Gameplay Mode / Difficulty Setting

• Yes, add customizability to streamlined features/mechanics through either options or a game mode.

Votes: 132 75.0%
  • No, don't care about the loss of extra immersion by streamlining and don't mind to be hand-held.

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • Maybe, have to see to what extent the functionality of features/mechanics has been streamlined.

Votes: 37 21.0%

• Total voters
Witcher 2 had Insane mode where death was permanent and Dark difficulty that had exclusive armor sets. I think they said they'll add something similar to The Witcher 3 in the Enhanced Edition (Enhanced Edition is free DLC, btw.)

I was wondering if anyone else wanted a hardcore mode to be featured in Witcher 3? Since Witcher 3 is supposed to be the last game I felt that it's the one that should make me feel like an actual Witcher, not just a god that even after being by monstrous claws! Can just leave battle and regenenerate his health without doing anything but just sitting there. So here are my ideas for a better, more immersive Witcher 3 gameplay experience.

-No health regen. Add bandages and put an emphasis on health potions, giving me a reason to actually find the materials to craft bigger pouches that would carry more than three.

-Companions that have more meaning. In battle you could make them more useful in combat other than just more dps. Since you now have harder gameplay because of the idea mentioned above, your companions can actually help you in battle. Like if you go down, but a companion is still alive they can drag you away from the battle retreating, and bandaging you. On the other hand you could do the same, if one of your companions go down you should be able to retreat and return later.

-Strategic fighting. If say your taking on a bigger monster you notice your health is getting low, and you have no more health potions, you should be able to run away and return to the fight later. Where the monster hasn't regained all his health and wounds from the last fight are still present. As in arrows that were shot into the beast stay and cuts from you're sword still shows.

Regrettably, it looks like you'd like to play a different game than what The Witcher 3 will be. As far as I remember hearing from CDPR, companions won't be much more present than they were in The Witcher 2, and even if they will, I doubt you'll have much interaction with them during combat. Furthermore, dragging yourselves away from the battlefield and bandaging each other belongs in TPS games, if you ask me, but to each their own.

I doubt you'll be able to craft potion pouches to carry more (health) potions, and you have to remember toxicity should keep you from mindlessly chugging one after another. Plus, removing health regeneration would basically just force you to meditate after each fight or - if you'd have to keep a stock of "med-kits" to be able to heal - be a tedious hassle in an open-world game. Read: fast-traveling back and forth every five minutes.

As for the last suggestion, wouldn't that essentially beat the purpose of a "Hardcore Mode"? If the monster you're fighting is too hard, you just run away, heal completely, but the sucker will keep his wounds. Rinse and repeat until you're done. Anyway, I think I heard something about the possibility of tracking down a monster that escaped or that you lost if you know how or where to find it, so there might be something similar to what you suggested. However, I hope that if you regenerate your health the monster will recover as well.

To me insane mode, was insane. I personally did not take the risk to play on insane mode.
But I really liked the Dark mode, and I finished the game on dark mode twice at least. I usually play games on normal, but I played Witcher 2 on dark mode for the extra swords and armors. The extra cool swords and armors really sweeten the pot.
I've already said it , and I'm gonna say it again. The only think that really annoyed me about dark mode was the screen effects that game with using the special sword and armor sets. I wanted to enjoy the beautiful graphics, and suddenly every thing turned dark and weird, it annoyed me to the point where I used regular swords with the dark armors.
I hope the screen effects don't make it to the Witcher 3.

@op I'm just confused about why you think the game will be streamlined in the first place. It goes without saying that there will be multiple difficulty levels. And even if it is streamlined there is always mods to flesh it out, like the Combat Rebalance mod for W2.

Where did I mention the game being streamlined altogether?

I'm pretty sure I only pointed at certain game mechanics being 'casualized', 'dumbed down' or to use the s word, 'streamlined'. The prime examples being auto-refilling potions and the resulting over-simplification of the alchemy/crafting system and more recently the blatant hand holding provided by the minimap on itself and in tandem with the Witcher Senses.

Now, I'm aware of the WORK IN PROGRESS disclaimer in all of the gameplay footage released so far and that, in the case of the Minimap/Witcher Senses issue it might just have been the game running on super casual/very easy/debugging mode or whatever but I can't help being concerned nonetheless. Concerned that, in case the mentioned issues were not resolved in any way (options or modes), the game couldn't provide a rewarding yet challenging experience for that part of the audience that embraces things like Legend of Grimrock's Old School Mode or the aforementioned Ranger Mode/Difficulty in Metro 2033 and Last Light. Doesn't help that CDPR decides to keep mum and not comment on all of this either.

Of course there will be multiple difficulty levels, but wouldn't it be great to have a wide range of sliders, checkboxes, whatnot on top of those game modes/difficulty levels to take the customizability of the gameplay experience even further, supporting all sorts of ways the game could be played?
Can't be that hard to do that. And I'm talking about mostly small, at first glance even insignificant things here, like being able to hide parts of the UI/HUD or the HUD altogether, switch off certain coloring or accentuations, deactivate icons, indicators, bars, etc. Just small things but with the potential of making a huge difference.

And that's also exactly why I'd rather have CDPR to implement their 'inhouse mods' than to wait for unofficial ones that repair or improve certain features or mechanics that shouldn't have to be repaired or improved in the first place.

Last edited:
Where did I mention the game being streamlined altogether?

I'm pretty sure I only pointed at certain game mechanics being 'casualized', 'dumbed down' or to use the s word, 'streamlined'. The prime examples being auto-refilling potions and the resulting over-simplification of the alchemy/crafting system and more recently the blatant hand holding provided by the minimap on itself and in tandem with the Witcher Senses.

Now, I'm aware of the WORK IN PROGRESS disclaimer in all of the gameplay footage released so far and that, in the case of the Minimap/Witcher Senses issue it might just have been the game running on super casual/very easy/debugging mode or whatever but I can't help being concerned nonetheless. Concerned that, in case the mentioned issues were not resolved in any way (options or modes), the game couldn't provide a rewarding yet challenging experience for that part of the audience that embraces things like Legend of Grimrock's Old School Mode or the aforementioned Ranger Mode/Difficulty in Metro 2033 and Last Light. Doesn't help that CDPR decides to keep mum and not comment on all of this either.

Of course there will be multiple difficulty levels, but wouldn't it be great to have a wide range of sliders, checkboxes, whatnot on top of those game modes/difficulty levels to take the customizability of the gameplay experience even further, supporting all sorts of ways the game could be played?
Can't be that hard to do that. And I'm talking about mostly small, at first glance even insignificant things here, like being able to hide parts of the UI/HUD or the HUD altogether, switch off certain coloring or accentuations, deactivate icons, indicators, bars, etc. Just small things but with the potential of making a huge difference.

And that's also exactly why I'd rather have CDPR to implement their 'inhouse mods' than to wait for unofficial ones that repair or improve certain features or mechanics that shouldn't have to be repaired or improved in the first place.
Amen, the lack of official feedback on matters that could really use some calming words is especially irritating.
And yes, I definitely would prefer official, already built-in mods a.k.a. a plethora of options over community mods too.
Although we will definitely see those made as well after the release of the game. There's always someone not satisfied with how the developer did this or that.

I agree. To my mind, this Classic mode should have the following distinctive features:
1. Horses should not be immortal.
2. Potions should not be infinite.
3. The panel with potions recommended against specific kinds of monsters should be disabled.

I agree. To my mind, this Classic mode should have the following distinctive features:
1. Horses should not be immortal.
2. Potions should not be infinite.
3. The panel with potions recommended against specific kinds of monsters should be disabled.

I agree with 2 and 3 , but 1 would be kinda awkward if your horse dies in middle of nowhere and signpost is miles away.
So you would have to run miles to town, to waste money on new horse everytime ? This is a video game ffs, not everything have to be realistic.

Another, very recent example for a decent range of difficulty/gameplay customization, this time in the latest Ubisoft title of all things:

Last edited:
Top Bottom