Console or PC?

+

Nahr

Forum regular
Are you a PC gamer or you love the couch? PC and console are entirely different platforms, they're not even comparable IMO. Ask yourself what type of gamer you are and the type of space you have at home.

Let me guess, you are a console gamer? (Because it is very difficult to put a hdmi cable from your TV to your PC and put a Controller in your PC! to Play the games on your TV) /sarcasm

Let me guess, you are a console gamer? (Because it is very difficult to put a hdmi cable from your TV to your PC and put a Controller in your PC! to Play the games on your TV) /sarcasm

It is in -my-case. My TV is a ways away from my very heavy Plasma big screen, which is in my living room. My PC is part of my office work set up. I will not be running and HDMI cable over there anytime in the near future.

Even so, couch gaming is not the same as desktop gaming. I'd have to set my keyboard and mouse up somehow..at that point I'd basically be in a desk in from of my TV in the living room. No, thanks.

There are ways to minimize the trouble, but there is a reason I have a console - so I don't have to do that.

Also, you might want to use sarcasm for humour and not to belittle others' viewpoints. It goes over...poorly around here.

Been pondering on this one as well.
I've got a respectable rig that can actually run Witcher 2 in uber mode (though it does get a bit warm after a bit), and I'm traditionally a PC gamer. That said, I do have a PS4 and there are some games that I prefer to play on console. If I'm interested in a game on both PC and console, and the PC version does not get a major graphical boost, I tend to pick based on the interface. Shooters I almost always go with the PC's mouse and keyboard, while driving or sports games are better with the console's controller.

I enjoyed the first two Witcher's on PC, but the idea of kicking back in front of my TV (and surround system) on the couch to play W3 with the PS4 controller is appealing. I tried setting up a controller on my PC for Witcher 2 and it just didn't work quite right, despite the UI being somewhat geared to controllers already.

Any quasi-official word on what we can expect in terms of differences between console and PC versions?
In particular, I'm wondering about:
Timeliness of patches
DLC
Size of maps/frequency of loading screens
Areas/features missing from versions

Obviously, old save imports are not likely to be available on consoles, and I would expect the PC version to have the potential for higher graphical quality, but beyond that...

It is in -my-case. My TV is a ways away from my very heavy Plasma big screen, which is in my living room. My PC is part of my office work set up. I will not be running and HDMI cable over there anytime in the near future.

Even so, couch gaming is not the same as desktop gaming. I'd have to set my keyboard and mouse up somehow..at that point I'd basically be in a desk in from of my TV in the living room. No, thanks.

I have a PC that I use exclusively for gaming - my work machine is a Mac (and let's PLEASE not have that argument, heh.) The PC's in the living room, hooked up to my TV and the stereo, along with the consoles. Since I basically refuse playing anything with keyboard and mouse (a keyboard is a typing tool. Playing games is not typing), I don't have much of a problem with setup. I have a wireless keyboard and mouse that I can use on the coffeetable or in my lap when I need to, and otherwise I just use a 360 controller. By and large, there's no difference between using the PC and the consoles for me.

And on those rare occasions where I do play with K/M, like TW1, those games I can actually play with the keyboard in my lap and the mouse on the couch next to me, no problem. The only issue I've ever run into is that PC games sometimes have text that's hard to read at the distance I'm sitting from the TV because obviously the devs didn't mean for them to be played that way. What I get in return is my butt on the couch and the sound running through my living room stereo system.

Hey just put together this - http://pcpartpicker.com/user/HeadClot/saved/wZzkcf

Feel free to modify it or tweak it to your hearts content :)

If you're looking for help tweaking your build, there are two very good communities you can turn two: linustechtips.com and reddit.com/r/buildapc. Both are brimming with PC enthusiasts and will probably be delighted to optimize your build while respecting your budget. Just post your build on either place, tell them what it's for and how much you're willing to spend, and you'll get all the answers you need :)

Top Bottom