Constant Crashes To Desktop

+
Constant Crashes To Desktop

Hey guys, need some urgent help cause this is becoming frustrating. I haven't played TW3 for a few months until this past wednesday that I decided to play it again. Before doing so, I used to play with the unification mod, Friendly Hud and Super Turbo lighting without issues, so I figured everything was going to be the same, unfortunately it wans't. I started to get constant CTD so I decided to uninstall the mods (which were outdated of course) installed them again and nothing changed. After trying numerous steps which I mentioned below, I've hit a rock and don't know what else to do.

Sometimes I can play for 40 minutes, sometimes I can play for 2 minutes. Every ocassion ends up with a crash to desktop.

THINGS I'VE TRIED:
-Uninstalled and reinstalled the game
-Uninstalled and reinstalled MODS
-Tried installing the mods manually then with nexus mod manager and also with W3 mod manager.
-Tried running it as admin
-I have the latest nvidia drivers and my gpu and cpu temps are ok.
-Repaired all Visual C++ programs
-Tried configuring nvidia control panel for this game with pre rendered frames set to 1 and anisotropic filtering to x16.

NOTE: I have ALL my games within the Program Files folder (x86) I've read that it's not recommended but I haven't found a "reliable" post that explains me how to transfer all my games to another folder within the same drive (Not to another drive cause I only got one)

Added my DX diagnostic in case someone needs it.
View attachment DxDiag.txt

Don't know what else to do, I love the game but I'm afraid to keep playing and tired of saving every few seconds not knowing when it will crash again. Thanks in advance, hope someone can help.

SPECS:
Win10 (updated)
CPU: i5-4570 (3.2ghz)
GPU: GTX 1060 6GB
RAM: 8GB

Last edited:
Maybe one or more of those mods tweaked certain settings within your W3 Documents folder, specifically your user.settings? And now GOG or Steam or whichever client you're using is restoring these settings via cloud saves. I'd delete everything in your W3 Documents folder except for 'gamesaves' and then turn off cloud saves for Witcher 3 via your client application.

So you'd be deleting:

'input.settings' (won't fix your issue but can't hurt)
'user.settings'
'user.settings.bak'
'mod.settings' (if it's still there)

Might want to then re-install the game again or just delete W3 directory 'bin' folder, then verify/restore it via your client - this way you know for sure you're resetting all settings and config/.ini files. Then launch Witcher 3 again, and your video settings in-game should all be reset. And all the files you deleted from your Docs folder should become restored, but now with default values.
Looks like you've tried almost everything man, this is all I can think of atm. Good luck.

Last edited:
AlvesNYR's suggestion sounds worth trying. If it's Mod related and the game doesn't work without mods, you might need a fresh installation.

It can also be a good idea to make sure you are using the newest version of each Mod. Mods that haven't been updated for a while might cause issues.

alvesNYR;n10968194 said:
Maybe one or more of those mods tweaked certain settings within your W3 Documents folder, specifically your user.settings? And now GOG or Steam or whichever client you're using is restoring these settings via cloud saves. I'd delete everything in your W3 Documents folder except for 'gamesaves' and then turn off cloud saves for Witcher 3 via your client application.

So you'd be deleting:

'input.settings' (won't fix your issue but can't hurt)
'user.settings'
'user.settings.bak'
'mod.settings' (if it's still there)

Might want to then re-install the game again or just delete W3 directory 'bin' folder, then verify/restore it via your client - this way you know for sure you're resetting all settings and config/.ini files. Then launch Witcher 3 again, and your video settings in-game should all be reset. And all the files you deleted from your Docs folder should become restored, but now with default values.
Looks like you've tried almost everything man, this is all I can think of atm. Good luck.

I'll try, thanks for answering.

devivre;n10968554 said:
AlvesNYR's suggestion sounds worth trying. If it's Mod related and the game doesn't work without mods, you might need a fresh installation.

It can also be a good idea to make sure you are using the newest version of each Mod. Mods that haven't been updated for a while might cause issues.

Yeah, I updated the mods and nothing but I'll definitely try what AlvesNYR said, thanks for aswering btw.

Top Bottom