Constant crashes

+
I haven't played W3 for a long time. It worked well on my last desktop (intel e3 1230v3 + amd r9 280x). But recently I found it constantly crashes in 1-3 minutes after my hardware upgraded. BTW, I did not install any mod, game version is 1.32.

MY SPEC:
  • AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (no OC)
  • NVIDIA RTX 2070 8G (no OC)
  • 32G RAM
  • 600W power supply
  • Win10 x64 1809, boot on a NVMe SSD
  • W3 is installed on a SATA SSD

THINGS I'VE TRIED:
  • Uninstalled and reinstalled the game on steam
  • Upgraded Win10 from 1803 to 1809, since still not working, I did a fresh install of 1809
  • Cleanup display drivers via DDU, and install latest driver (418.81)
  • Cleanup saves (input.settings, user.settings, gamesaves)
  • Different settings: preset from low to ultra, full screen to windowed, vsync on/off, max fps 60/unlimited
Dump files are attached. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• crashinfo.zip
    15.4 KB · Views: 94
Newer NVIDIA drivers tend to cause issues with TW3. Installing an older driver version (for example 390) could help.

Also the CDPR support website suggests: „If the requirements are met please make sure that all applications non essential for your pc are turned off/disabled. This includes antivirus/antimalware programs.
If that won't help please check if your PC is malware/virus free - those may sometimes cause crashes. “ (https://support.cdprojektred.com/en/witcher-3/pc/sp-technical/issue/992/my-game-crashes-4 )

If you are using steam to play TW3, disabling overlay features might be a good idea.

Hi devivre,

Thanks for your information.

I can't install those old drivers since the lowest version supports RTX 2070 is 416.34.

I did a fresh windows installation, so there are no non essential applications. And I just tried turning windows defender and steam overlay off as you advised, but TW3 crashes as before.

What happens if you select the optimized profile settings for The Witcher 3 in GeForce experience?

The behavior of crashing has no difference between GeForce Experience Optimal and any in-game presets.
What's happening exactly is the graphic is freezing at first, but I can operate the character and hear sounds at this moment. Seconds later, the game crashes to desktop.

I believe it's a GPU driver issue. But there is really no old drivers available, it turns out that RTX 20 series are not supported by TW3. Is it possible a new patch release for supporting new hardwares?

I've got kinda similar problem.
Got Steam version of TW3(Goty edition, all DLS installed).Have no mods and never had. Have been playing for ~30 hours, and at the morning of yesturday got first crash, since then game never worked fine. Problem is game runs for a few seconds with very low FPS(like 2-5) and crashes after.
Specs are:
CPU: AMD FX-8350
GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1050 TI 4GB
6 GB RAM
WIN 10 x64
Already tried to reinstall game, reinstall windows, reinstall nvidia drivers with/without DDU, just now installed v390 driver, overclocking\underclocking, both CPU and GPU, different settings including resolution, SSAO, Hairworks, VSync, fpc, reinstalled reinstalled visual c++ redistributable, directx, tried deleting Witcher 3 folder with settings and saves with steam cloud turned off, verified integrity of game cache. and may be even something else, i dont even remember.
Nothing worked yet.
Need your help
Last crash error related

Attachments

• crash.txt
    12.6 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Well, you definitely shouldn't do underclocking or overclocking. It often causes problems with TW3.

If it stopped working from one day to another, it raises the question: did you change anything on your computer? As far as I know, the game hasn't changed during the last few weeks, so it's probably related to your computer.

Did you install any mods for TW3?

Close all programs running in the background, as explained in the link I mentioned before: https://support.cdprojektred.com/en/witcher-3/pc/sp-technical/issue/992/my-game-crashes-4 - even antivirus/antimalware programs.

Also sometimes it's a good idea to check the temperature of your PC (for example with speedfan). Perhaps some component of your PC isn't working properly.

Thx for the answering.
Nothing changed as i know b4 first crash appeared. I was playing at evening, then turned pc off, at morning game crashed. I have not made any changes/updates.
As i said before i don't have any mods installed and never did.
Already tried to close all programs down. including steam overlay.
Temperature is fine everything is below 45°C

You can also contact support with the link I mentioned before and see if they have an idea.
Maybe they have an idea.

Temperature is fine everything is below 45°C

This is actually a little worrisome. A 1050 ti should definitely be under heavy load quite often. Unless it's water-cooled using a top-notch solution, I'd expect it to hit ~60°C here and there. Quick search on the net produced this for your specific error log:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1023419/the-witcher-3-crashing-at-launch/

If you have Duet Display, maybe try uninstalling it and seeing if that makes a difference.

If not, it's possible that the problem could be voltage. 600w is enough, but perhaps the PSU itself is aging / faulty. (If it's not mods, drivers, or Windows version...I'm afraid the next most likely thing is hardware.)

1.) How old is the system overall? Where did you get it?

2.) Any other issues with other games?

3.) What sort of crash are you getting? Hard lock / hang? Crash to Desktop? Computer restarting?

Quick search on the net produced this for your specific error log:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1023419/the-witcher-3-crashing-at-launch/

If you have Duet Display, maybe try uninstalling it and seeing if that makes a difference.

I guess i fixed it, at least for a time, will update if something will go wrong again.
So crashing issue i guess was fixed by installing v390.77 driver for GPU.But. There still was FPS question game was unplayeble, i had like 2 fps. So i found some solution:
1)Properties of witcher3.exe - disable desctop composition
2) disabling NVidia Shadow Play
3) In nvidia controll pannel - manage 3d settings:
anisotropic filtering - 2x
antialiasing FXAA - off
antialiasing Gamma correction - off
antialiasing mode - off
antialiasing tranceparency - off
power management mode - prefer maximum performance
texture filtering - anisotropic sample.... - on
texture filtering - negative LOD bias - clamp
texture filtering -quality - high performance
texture filtering - trilinear optimisation - On
threaded optimisation - off
tripple buffering - off
vertical sync - off
4) ingame general setting fullscrean windowed
worked for me, if anyone will have same problem wishing them gl fixing it. Thx everyone who responded

Alright -- enjoy, then! If anything else happens, feel free to post again.

Just throwing out some additional thoughts, Geforce Experience can introduce a trove of issues. I was going to recommend completely uninstalling it unless there's something specific about it that you want to use. Shadowplay will impact performance some, but it's unlikely to result in drops to 2 FPS.

That sounds like either the PC is using the onboard video, a voltage problem, or there's a severe system config issue somewhere. It's wholly possible that the drivers were just borked. That can happen.

In the meantime: feel free to jack up the AF in NV Control Panel. 16x adds some nice crispness to textures with virtually no performance loss.

Also, this setting:
texture filtering -quality - high performance
...can often introduce graphical issues for no real performance gain. I recommend setting it globally to High Quality. Anything less introduces Nvidia "optimizations" that will intentionally degrade graphics (albeit minimally) to increase performance (also minimally in many cases). Cards in the "ti" range largely won't benefit much.

Top Bottom