Cyberpunk Roles - Which One Will You Be

+

• Total voters

Guest 4149880

What ever role that allows me to be a cyborg predator. Could it be possible in 2020? Augmented legs to navigate quickly and jump high above. Invisibility for stealth, Thermal and optic vision, audio/voice mimicking device, with a high powered, shoulder mounted laser weapon and arm blades with an extreme case of Exotic skin augmentation to look like an alien.

BeastModeIron;n9113180 said:
What ever role that allows me to be a cyborg predator. Could it be possible in 2020? Augmented legs to navigate quickly and jump high above. Invisibility for stealth, Thermal and optic vision, audio/voice mimicking device, with a high powered, shoulder mounted laser weapon and arm blades with an extreme case of Exotic skin augmentation to look like an alien.
You could probably eventually find/afford cybernatics that would allow you to play something like this. And I suspect having to fight the Psycho Squad should give you quite the combat challenge. Just don't expect to win unless CDPR decides all but ignore the CP2020 origins of the game and turn it into into yet another "I'm Superman" shooter which is highly unlikely.

Guest 4149880

Suhiira;n9113240 said:
You could probably eventually find/afford cybernatics that would allow you to play something like this. And I suspect having to fight the Psycho Squad should give you quite the combat challenge. Just don't expect to win unless CDPR decides all but ignore the CP2020 origins of the game and turn it into into yet another "I'm Superman" shooter which is highly unlikely.

Probably not a shooter, but I'm sure dice rolls wont be in 2077 either. Unless.... :( Turn based!!!

Cyberpunk 2020 Roles. The PnP base for the 2077 CRPG. Roles are character archetypes - like character classes, only without levels or hitpoints. Skill packages and Special Abilities as well as pay and job descriptions define CPunk Roles.

Think of Roles as templates for classes. Any Role can have any skill, except Nomads who can't buy Hygiene and Corporates who can't buy Ethics, but each Role also has a Special Ability that sets it apart from others.

This also presumes CDPR is using singular Roles and not mixing them. I prefer mixing them, so you get to do multiple choice on the poll!

------------------------------------
Descriptions Inside!

Cop: Maximum lawmen on the mean streets of 2020. Special Ability: Authority - People do what you tell them, when you tell them. Or else.

Corporate: A phone call and a bit-player nation-state goes down. SA: Resources - you have access to serious corporate...everything.

Fixer: Hustler, infobroker, crimelord. Special Ability: Streetdeal - the Street knows all and finds uses for everything. Now, so do you.

Media: Reporters. Pirate Radio DJs. Photogs. SA: Credibility - It's 2020, no one trusts anyone. Anyone other than you, that is.

Med Tech: Doctors, nurses, paramedics. SA:Medical Tech. Other people do first aid. You save lives and upgrade people for the Future.

Netrunner: Hacker. Data thief. Pirate. SA: Interface. Other people use the Net. You live there and you hunt there. With the other sharks.

Nomad: Mad Max, with back-up. Surviving the Hard Roads of 2020. SA: Family - when the chips are down, they have your back, no matter what.

Rockerboy: Musicians. Movie stars. With an Edge. SA: Charismatic Leadership - People hear you and want to change the world. Hopefully better.

Solo: Professional killers, bodyguards, thugs. Experts. The smart ones, anyway. The rest are dead. SA: Combat Sense - See clearly. Shoot first. Shoot last.

Techie: Mechanic, engineer, troubleshooter. SA: Jury Rig - make a machine or fix to do nearly anything. Good or bad or just for money. Which is good, right?

Mrwhitey998;n9113410 said:
How do I know what roles to play?
Did they release more info or something?
We're assuming the same roles that exist in the CP2020 PnP game will exist in CP2077.
But one thing to keep in mind is with the CP2020 rule set roles are not rigid and exclusive like classes are in many PnP games. They're more a matter of specialty abilities; combat, hacking, swaying the masses, black market, tech use/repair, etc. Any character can do anything, but won't (usually) be as good in a given specialty as someone who's role is that specialty.

Last edited:
I can only choose ONE? No, just kidding. I'm thinking either a Nomad (The first character I played in the PNP game), a Fixer, a solo or a cop.

General Concensus: What role do you want to play first when the game comes out?

Every good 'Punker out there has a favorite character role from the CP 2020 PNP. Which one do you want to take for a test drive first?

Myself, I'd like to design a character very roughly based off of...well, ME! I'm thinking of a vet character but I'm sort of torn between a Nomad or a street Ronin....So hard to decide because I also had some "Fixer" tendencies once upon a time.

I think I'll start out with the Nomad class. For some reason I feel like the whole family dynamic with them will make for a very compelling story with a lot of struggle contained in it. I think I'll want to dive into the techie class as well. Being a Solo would be interesting as well. I wonder how far Ill go until I get overtaken by Cyberpsykosis.

ANOTHER person I will avoid on multiplayer if they run a solo. Personally, I'll stick to minimal enhancements...just enough to keep "The Edge" and put most of my emphasis on skills and hardware.

Fixer,
Buy the info I need from Netrunners / Nomads, sell it at a mark up to Corp, Cops and Media (yes, all three) Hire a Solo for protection and Platinum TT account in case the solo double crosses me... Should still have enough for a couple of great parties

It depends on how the actual game will be like, but Nomad and Netrunner have more appeal to me. Maybe techie too, but at some point, I'll definetely try cop.
Solo only if I can be some sort of a ninja.

Voted corporate, Netrunner, Rockerboy, and Media.

Those will be the first I try, because they're the most obviously unique.

I'm totally interested in how they make classes like that in a videogame. I hope there's LOTS of clothing, makeup, body, and hair customization to really live out a fantasy of being a high profile public face with lots of charisma and "presence".

I didn't vote for it, but Cop would also be one of the earlier playthroughs. If they do it right, being a legit cop in a bit sci fi city could be a great experience.

Last edited:
Customization is also a big plus for me. I'm still curious to see how it all will be implemented. Will you start selecting skills, a bit like in, say, Skyrim? Will you start off as nobody that has to freely select the path to walk on by yourself, including faction affiliations, that leads to the known classes that have been mentioned?

Or do you have to pick a class "from the start", like in the Vampire the Masquerade games where you pick your bloodline at the beginning?

I'll ideally hope that you end up in that city as "nobody" that has to pick a path over time so you can experience different things and then go for something you like or according to how your game simply unfolds.

While "cop" might be among my favorite picks I might as well discover the city and world without affiliation or as someone slowly building up an affiliation until a hard choice is made for a playstyle and faction. Why run for some hard path straight away if you can experience it all from a more distanced position? Who knows how your journey might unfold as you try out certain things?

I mostly hope the playstyles (and factions) will be so unique with their own specifics and content that each style and playthrough becomes something to remember, something unique.

And lots of customization in character and clothing also helps - and of course, different reactions from different people according to your faction affiliation or "class" and gear you wear.

One thing for certain: It seems the expectations for this game are relatively high. Let's see what we'll get.

Metropolice;n9669621 said:
Customization is also a big plus for me. I'm still curious to see how it all will be implemented. Will you start selecting skills, a bit like in, say, Skyrim? Will you start off as nobody that has to freely select the path to walk on by yourself, including faction affiliations, that leads to the known classes that have been mentioned?

Or do you have to pick a class "from the start", like in the Vampire the Masquerade games where you pick your bloodline at the beginning?

I'll ideally hope that you end up in that city as "nobody" that has to pick a path over time so you can experience different things and then go for something you like or according to how your game simply unfolds.

While "cop" might be among my favorite picks I might as well discover the city and world without affiliation or as someone slowly building up an affiliation until a hard choice is made for a playstyle and faction. Why run for some hard path straight away if you can experience it all from a more distanced position? Who knows how your journey might unfold as you try out certain things?

I mostly hope the playstyles (and factions) will be so unique with their own specifics and content that each style and playthrough becomes something to remember, something unique.

And lots of customization in character and clothing also helps - and of course, different reactions from different people according to your faction affiliation or "class" and gear you wear.

One thing for certain: It seems the expectations for this game are relatively high. Let's see what we'll get.

I really love it when RPG's give you a variety of different starts based on your background and/or class.

If I start as a Media I'd love to be set into the shoes of someone who has been training, learning, and just got their first job in their respective fields.

That said it could also be great to have those starts, or similar situations, as possible options in the world if you go down those paths later, like if you started as a Media but ended up going down a Rockeresque path.

Starting from square 1 with a totally blank slate could be one of the options provided, it depends on how integral and scripted interactions and the world might be based on your start.

Suhiira;n9114750 said:
We're assuming the same roles that exist in the CP2020 PnP game will exist in CP2077.

Mike Pondsmith has stated in a recent interview we will see all the roles tthen he adds that some will be slightly different from what is in the Core 2020 rulebook.

walkingdarkly;n9671311 said:
Mike Pondsmith has stated in a recent interview we will see all the roles tthen he adds that some will be slightly different from what is in the Core 2020 rulebook.
That he did ... BUT ... the game isn't finished yet and plans may change.

Top Bottom