Do you think Witcher 3 can win Game of The Year 2015 award?

+
Definitely I can't imagine any game surpassing it this year

Not sure I trust GOTY awards though since DA:I won many last year and it was very medicore

I think The Witcher 3 will win a few GOTY awards. There aren't too many games coming out that can compete with it.

I don't think GOTY means a whole lot though. It's basically just free PR. Typcailly there are several "Games Of The Year" that come out each year.

How is it 'not' goty material? That question is arse about face. You should not be looking for reasons against, you should be looking for reasons for. Darn world today and this 'you owe me' mentality is where this being rewarded for being nothing special instead of being rewarded for going that extra mile.

Ok, a couple things that are wrong with the game... underwtaer movement is awful, food stuffs cannot be cooked (this is an RPG, note the 'role' part of that), drinks that stack in such a crazy way that I currently have nine stacks of 9 Kaedweni Stout, ten stacks of 5 Viziman Champiuon, 5 stacks of 10 Redanian Lager, seven stacks of 8 Rivian Kriek....

Don't get me wrong, I like the game and am enjoying it, but it should not be rewarded when it is so lacking and they have put effort into making a tree branch sway because that's oh so much more important :/

food "stuffs" can't be cooked = not GOTY material
Wut?

food "stuffs" can't be cooked = not GOTY material
Wut?

I did say "a couple of things". Did you really need me to list some more?

Clunky combat, horse that loves pulling off to the left, swimming that takes more space to turn than a taxiing 747?

Just let me know if you need more ;)

I have to admit to chuckling at minecraft being referred to as survival rpg

that's not what i meant XD my sentence was just badly written (sorry i'm italian and my english is really far from being perfect), those were two different thing, it was supposed to be Dark souls, Bloodborne, minecraft OR some sort of survival RPG game (in general, not referred to the games listed before), my mistake. :p

Anyway, about the weight...i already got it that all the items in our inventory were, in fact, carried by out poor and submitted horse XD still this doesn't sounds right at all anyway (RPG-Style speaking) 'cause i don't know ANY kind of real horse who is able to carry: 10 swords, 2 axes, 2 crossbow, 100 darts, 50 piece of bread, 20 steak of beef, 20 bottles of Redenian wine, 30 bottles of Nilfgardian beer, 4 armor, 5 pair of gloves, 3 pair of boots, repairing kits, gems, plants, flowers, something like 100 books and pages etc etc etc.
This is the reason why i told you that, if we have to think in a Strictly RPG way, then our char inside the game shouldn't be able to grab more than 2 items at the time (pretty crazy idea for an RPG game, i'm sure you can agree with that)

it will be between the witcher 3 and Batman imo , that is if Arkham knight manages to improve on asylum and City , those who played arkham city know how wonderfully crafted it was , the only game that could match the amount of details that went into that game's side quests alone is the Witcher 3....anyways im happy that we have a lot of promising titles coming out this year, more fun for us gamers.

Oh wow, there's a significant amount of 'misunderstanding' in this thread, let's try to help.

GOTY (Game Of The Year) is handed out by very many review sites and popular news/blog sites.
I would normally visit the amalgamation site: http://gotypicks.blogspot.co.uk/
which reports who won what, and highlights the big GOTY winner of the year.

In recent years, the big winners have been:

• 2014 - Dragon Age Inquisition
  • 2013 - The Last of Us
  • 2012 - The Walking Dead
  • 2011 - Skyrim
  • 2010 - Red Dead Redemption
  • 2009 - Uncharted 2
  • 2008 - Fallout 3
And so on... So, onto a few truths:

• Is GOTY meaningless? No. A few results may be 'gamed' but this is a consensus of hundreds of review sites and user surveys.
  • Are GOTY's bought? Sites rely on advertiser revenue, but they also need to maintain credibility to get views, so by and large no, else their readership would laugh at them, and they know it.
  • It's the best of a year (clue is in the title) so the 2nd best one year might have won the year before or after.
  • GOTY reflects the views of the market, just because you personally thought a winner sucked, doesn't mean it was not by consensus the best game of the year.
  • The lessons of 2014 scream out that many games people thought would be GOTY, when released sucked, in part or in whole. Predicting GOTY based on PR and marketing and ahead of the year being out is wholly meaningless and premature.
  • GOTY is rarely determined by the so called 'hardcore gamer' as GOTY as assessed across the wide range of folk who buy and review games.
  • The most that can be said of any game prior to December 2015, is that it might be a contender.

It's enjoyable to discuss why TW3 might be a contender (or not) in comparison to any other game released or otherwise, but any serious discussion of the topic needs to wait at least 6 months.

Depends on the competition (seeing as DA: I had little to no competition while in itself being a game that left A LOT to be desired, yet still won), but under normal circumstances, the answer is obvious: Easily.

I think the combat, graphics, open world mechanics, and story/voice acting are all superb. Nothing has seemed very predictable, which is refreshing to me. Granted another game could come along and give me this same feeling, but this is a very strong contender I would say.

Last edited:
You mustn't have been gaming long if you truly believe that.
I don't think any game could probably be called the best ever. You just don't compare 2d platformers with a RTS or cRPG.

But, I honestly think that TW3 is a serious contender for the best cRPG ever. And I play almost exclusively cRPGs, so I know the genre quite good. Of course, even within one genre it's hard to compare an open world RPG to titles such as PS:T or Arcanum. But in most aspects for me it's probably the best cRPG up to date. I think PS:T is a tiny bit better in terms of story, and maybe Morrowind is bit better in an open-world aspect (the way you interact with NPCs inhabiting the game world). When it comes to combat system, it's unparalleled (maybe Dark Souls stands a chance thanks to the weapons movesets differences). When it comes to choices and consequences - no competition at all, and this is huge aspect of the game. Leveling and character development is pretty unique, it's very hard to compare, though when it comes to this lately I really liked how the Pillars of Eternity modified the classic DnD ruleset. Anyway, my point is that TW3 excels in most of the aspects that matter for cRPG.

It has its bugs and flaws, but that's expected - the bigger the world and longer the game, the more bugs you will have, unless you do some kind of closed/open beta before release. The most important thing is fixing them as soon as possible, and CDPR is doing good so far.

It already has it, objectively speaking. I don't think any other games has had so much work and polishing than TW3 this year, not the ones that have been released, nor the ones to be released. Main contender, MGSV maybe, can hardly win against that knowing their short content. If the judges have all their brains, I'd say they would vote for the game with the most (good) content, and you gotta admit it's pretty much impossible to top CDPR on that aspect ...

I don't think any game could probably be called the best ever. You just don't compare 2d platformers with a RTS or cRPG.

But, I honestly think that TW3 is a serious contender for the best cRPG ever. And I play almost exclusively cRPGs, so I know the genre quite good. Of course, even within one genre it's hard to compare an open world RPG to titles such as PS:T or Arcanum. But in most aspects for me it's probably the best cRPG up to date. I think PS:T is a tiny bit better in terms of story, and maybe Morrowind is bit better in an open-world aspect (the way you interact with NPCs inhabiting the game world). When it comes to combat system, it's unparalleled (maybe Dark Souls stands a chance thanks to the weapons movesets differences). When it comes to choices and consequences - no competition at all, and this is huge aspect of the game. Leveling and character development is pretty unique, it's very hard to compare, though when it comes to this lately I really liked how the Pillars of Eternity modified the classic DnD ruleset. Anyway, my point is that TW3 excels in most of the aspects that matter for cRPG.

It has its bugs and flaws, but that's expected - the bigger the world and longer the game, the more bugs you will have, unless you do some kind of closed/open beta before release. The most important thing is fixing them as soon as possible, and CDPR is doing good so far.

i agree with you on almost all point . Except the point about combat.It is good , i admit . But comparing DS with witcher in terms of combat?nuts , purely nuts.Although the styles between E3 and DS are different. Combat is a pure bliss in DS. If you are skilled , you will win , if not it is almost entirely your fault.This is comming from a guy who grew up playing games with boss fights and similar stuff.

PS-Just 5 hrs into W3 in blood and broken bones, already finding it too easy( just swordplay and quen , nothing else)

i agree with you on almost all point . Except the point about combat.It is good , i admit . But comparing DS with witcher in terms of combat?nuts , purely nuts.Although the styles between E3 and DS are different. Combat is a pure bliss in DS. If you are skilled , you will win , if not it is almost entirely your fault.This is comming from a guy who grew up playing games with boss fights and similar stuff
And that exactly is my impression from The Witcher. The only difference is that in TW3 you actually are allowed to chose difficulty. I played only on a Death March, and combat proves to be far more challenging than in Dark Souls. Of course Witcher gives you a lot more character development than you get in Dark Souls. Which sooner or later may lead to pretty OP builds, even on Death March, making it quite easy. But on the average, when you're not min-maxing, combat on the hardest difficulty is very challenging, and even needs a lot of preparation before the encounter itself.
I mean - you have every single combat mechanics in TW3 that you have n DS. Parry and riposte? Check. Dodge? Check-check, two types of dodges! Block? Check. Single use items? Check as hell. Spells? The same, but much more dynamic. And then you even have more - like decocts and potions, environmental hazards. Man, did you know that you can push a bandit into the trajectory of a bolt fired by his fellow bandit, and he will get injured or killed? At one bandit camp I have managed to kill half of the bandits just by having their friends accidentally shoot them in the back. Can't overstate how awesome is this, especially on Death March, where sometimes enemy bolts deal far more damage than your sword.

The only clear advantage of Dark Souls combat I can see are the different movesets for different kinds of weapons. But of course here we cannot have this, as Geralt is a trained swordsman, and trained with very specific type of sword, so...

Top Bottom