Dragon Age: Inquisition

+
Cormacolindor said:
The open world is not like Skyrim, more like BG2. Art style is a matter of preference. I like exagerrated art styles (like wow) realistic (TW, Skyrim) and somewhere in between (DA). I like how the game looks.And before you go on about how it copied so many games, allow me to repost this image http://www.gamrmag.c...psd_jpgcopy.jpg .See? It works both ways. And before you ask, I'm not just talking about the horns, I'm talking about the environment that looks like a homage to the Rift from Skyrim.

Norse culture is not unique to Skyrim. Scandinavia is right beside Poland, after all.

On the copying - yes, if you are realistic, you will find common elements in all of fantasy. Bioware blatantly copies - the word is plagiarism, and fails to capture the good, and instead takes the bad.

Cormacolindor said:
Oh, and TW2 consequences are FAR from perfect because it COMPLETELY disregards your choices in TW1.

You seriously want to go there? How about Mass Effect 2 not mattering at all? Or Leliana from Dragon Age Origins who still lived once you chopped her head off? Bioware's reaction to that was priceless. http://imgur.com/D9QrXbD

Sycophant said:
Norse culture is not unique to Skyrim. Scandinavia is right beside Poland, after all.
On the copying - yes, if you are realistic, you will find common elements in all of fantasy. Bioware blatantly copies - the word is plagiarism, and fails to capture the good, and instead takes the bad.

EXACTLY, that's the point! Just because there are a few superficial similarities, doesn't mean they downright copied it.. EVERY fantasy setting is derivative in some way in the end and I don't need to tell you how. The thing with the elves is hardly unique to the Witcher for instance. TES had it long before the Witcher with the Dunmer.

Sycophant said:
You seriously want to go there? How about Mass Effect 2 not mattering at all? Or Leliana from Dragon Age Origins who still lived once you chopped her head off? Bioware's reaction to that was priceless. http://imgur.com/D9QrXbD

How about nothing mattering in TW1 except the last cinematic?

Cormacolindor said:
EXACTLY, that's the point! Just because there are a few superficial similarities, doesn't mean they downright copied it.. EVERY fantasy setting is derivative in some way in the end and I don't need to tell you how. The thing with the elves is hardly unique to the Witcher. TES had it long before the Witcher with the Dunmer.

The first witcher book (short story, technically) was published in 1992. That is BEFORE TES Arena which was originally supposed to be released in fall 1993. Also, unrelated but did you look at the image link? I really want your take on it.

Sycophant said:
The first witcher book (short story, technically) was published in 1992. That is BEFORE TES Arena which was originally supposed to be released in fall 1993. Also, unrelated but did you look at the image link? I really want your take on it.

I really can't check the image atm because I have to go to uni but I will check it out later. Also, the Wicher series was largely obscure outside Poland until TW1 came out so copying the books doesn't count.

You also haven't responded to my second statement.

Cormacolindor said:
I really can't check the image atm because I have to go to uni but I will check it out later. Also, the Wicher series was largely obscure outside Poland until TW1 came out so copying the books doesn't count.

You also haven't responded to my second statement.

Copying - no. I'm saying elves are a common fantasy trope, and thus more than one person is capable of thinking up enslaved elves.

Also, which second statement? Please remind me.

Cormacolindor said:
How about nothing mattering in TW1 except the last cinematic?

Ugh Try dealing with going between Zoo tycoon and Zoo tycoon 2, you're gonna have a struggle, trust me..

Are you saying the Dunmer are akin to Elves in The Witcher?

And consequences do kind of matter, a lot in fact. In relation to the second game? No, not really. It's because it's not a direct sequel. You can blame that on the video game industry for having to cater to everyone now and wanting to get out to as many people as possible. Just because the save import didn't impact the second game does not make the consequences negligible. That said this time around will be far more important. Just look at the new Dragon Age for example. They dropped "3" off the title just so it doesn't scare off new comers!

@Sycophant, that link provided laughs. :)/>

From what i have seen in 30 min da3 video presentation, it looks like combination of fable, two worlds 2, skyrim and mass effect. It looks like something for entirely different audience than witcher.

Sycophant said:
Copying - no. I'm saying elves are a common fantasy trope, and thus more than one person is capable of thinking up enslaved elves.

Also, which second statement? Please remind me.

This one.

Sycophant said:
Oh, and TW2 consequences are FAR from perfect because it COMPLETELY disregards your choices in TW1. Allow me to repost this:

The fact that if you chose Shani in TW an woke up with Triss in TW2 left me with a really bad taste in my mouth and it boggles my mind that no one noticed that. They could have replaced Shani with Triss in that scene who told Geralt that she had urgent business elsewhere, then Triss shows up (instead of the guard lol). Take that "meaningful choices"! It also seems that every choice in TW1 didn't matter at all. It doesn't matter if you sided with Yaevinn or Siegfried, who is reduced to a cameo.Nobody cares. It would have been nice to have Iorveth at least mention that you sided with the Scoiatael. Maybe some nicer intro-dialogue? A prerequisite to join the squirrels? If Roche found out...oh boy.

Sycophant said:
From what i have seen in 30 min da3 video presentation, it looks like combination of fable, two worlds 2, skyrim and mass effect. It looks like something for entirely different audience than witcher.

I don't think that's a bad thing. More variety is always nice.

Sycophant said:
Are you saying the Dunmer are akin to Elves in The Witcher?

And consequences do kind of matter, a lot in fact. In relation to the second game? No, not really. It's because it's not a direct sequel. You can blame that on the video game industry for having to cater to everyone now and wanting to get out to as many people as possible. Just because the save import didn't impact the second game does not make the consequences negligible. That said this time around will be far more important. Just look at the new Dragon Age for example. They dropped "3" off the title just so it doesn't scare off new comers!

@Sycophant, that link provided laughs. :)/>/>/>/>

Well, the consequences SHOULD have mattered in TW2 a LOT because it IS a direct sequel. As I said before, waking up with Triss in bed left me with a very bad taste in my mouth and no one gave a shit whether you sided with the Scoiatael or Siegfried when it was quite obvious that they should have.

This is how I would have done it:

-If you chose the neutral path, the dialogue and everything else is exactly the same.

-If you chose Siegfried, Iorveth is much more hostile to you and it would be harder to side with the Scoiatael. It also makes Roche vouch for your innocence much faster and also treats you friendlier than usual. Flotsam and Loredo also treat you better.

-If you chose Yaevinn, Roche finds out in La Valette dungeons and wants to kill you. Your job is to convince him not to kill you and to trust you. Even so, he maintains a hostile tone with you throughout the game. Flotsam and Loredo are also openly hostile to you in the beginning.

Cormacolindor said:
[font="Calibri, Arial, serif"]Oh, and TW2 consequences are FAR from perfect because it COMPLETELY disregards your choices in TW1. Allow me to repost this: [/font][font="Calibri, Arial, serif"]The fact that if you chose Shani in TW an woke up with Triss in TW2 left me with a really bad taste in my mouth and it boggles my mind that no one noticed that. They could have replaced Shani with Triss in that scene who told Geralt that she had urgent business elsewhere, then Triss shows up (instead of the guard lol). Take that "meaningful choices"! It also seems that every choice in TW1 didn't matter at all. It doesn't matter if you sided with Yaevinn or Siegfried, who is reduced to a cameo.Nobody cares. It would have been nice to have Iorveth at least mention that you sided with the Scoiatael. Maybe some nicer intro-dialogue? A prerequisite to join the squirrels? If Roche found out...oh boy.[/font]
Nobody cared for good reason. I'm going to break down mine.

Yes everyone noticed it. Everyone also noticed that Geralt gave up on the fantasy of a family, him living a normal life, with Shani and Alvin the moment shit came down on his head. The Shani arc concluded in Witcher 1. Same thing happened with the Triss arc, but in her case, she was around after her arc concluded, allowing Geralt and her to rekindle a sexual relationship (no relation to the romance arcs in TW1 which were explicitly about the family stuff) and according to your choices in TW2 she can either be lover, on-off fuck buddy, or friendzoned.

I don't care about Yaevinn or Siegfried, so I can't answer as to the quality of their portrayal in TW2, but from what I saw of the ending, Yaevin was an airhead whose head was full of dreams (I believe Iorveth said as much), so it's no surprise he's not in TW2, since the character sucked, and if I had the option, I would not have put it in.

Siegfried was reduced to a cameo... again, do not care. The order is fully under Radovid's thumb now, he is their grand master in all but name. What did you expect would happen when Siegfried met Geralt? They'd share beer, smoke stuff and reminisce? The guy is a figurehead without any political backing and is now on Radovid's leash. How would he impact events?

If you played the games you'd know that Witcher 1 is a closed story, much like the short stories Sapkowski wrote. There is a definite beginning, an end etc, and CDPR made the game for fans of the books. It was only in TW2 that they began to stretch their own legs, in a creative sense, and it can be seen in the writing. A lot of it is... problematic, from writing, quest design, to camera work. I wish I could have helped ...but that is irrelevant.

Also, if you read that interview that popped up a while ago, about 40% of TW2 was axed because reasons. That is partly why choices did not impact events much in the second game.

Lastly, and to sum up, you are correct about the choices not affecting much but it doesn't matter because the plots of the first game are closed ones, even if you couldn't see it. Also, game was axed removing a lot of stuff. I saw this and decided, along with many others, to give them a pass. What you decide is your concern.

Sycophant said:
Ugh. Gaider is such an asshat.

Because we wanted to.

Anyway, your choices in TW1 actually play a role in TW2. Siegfried vouches for you and the Order doesn't give you any trouble at all.

Elida said:
Ugh. Gaider is such an asshat.

Because we wanted to.

Anyway, your choices in TW1 actually play a role in TW2. Siegfried vouches for you and the Order doesn't give you any trouble.

Actually he posted up an explanation later, about how Leliana was a lich and so she resurrected every time she was killed. I wish I could be blessed with such based writing skills...

Also, yes he does, but what Cormacolindor wants is something bigger than that. I mean, the Order can by bypassed in like 2 minutes, and it's more fruitful anyway.

Lastly, you may enjoy this. http://kotaku.com/59...creepy-sex-plot
tl;dr Gaider's ideas for DA:I gets vetoed by EVERYONE in his team.

Sycophant said:
Actually he posted up an explanation later, about how Leliana was a lich and so she resurrected every time she was killed. I wish I could be blessed with such based writing skills...

Also, you may enjoy this. http://kotaku.com/5964700/you-can-thank-women-for-dragon-age-3s-lack-of-creepy-sex-plot
tl;dr Gaider's ideas for DA:I gets vetoed by EVERYONE in his team.
I doubt it was anything akin to rape. Probably some guy passionately kissed a woman and one particularly sensitive writer shouted "RAPE!".

"Creepy sex", really Hernandez?

Elida said:
I doubt it was anything akin to rape. Probably some guy passionately kissed a woman and one particularly sensitive writer shouted "RAPE!".

"Creepy sex", really Hernandez?

But it could be interpreted as rape. That apparently is enough reason to dump an entire plotline. I wonder who are the people doing the writing?

Sycophant said:
But it could be interpreted as rape. That apparently is enough reason to dump an entire plotline. I wonder who are the people doing the writing?
Tumblrinas most likely.

Elida said:
Because we wanted to.

Exact same thing with Shani. And both didn't bother giving an explanation (until EE).

Both committed the mistake of allowing for a choice that they realized they couldn't afford to have. Giving us the option to choose Shani was a mistake, just like giving us the option to kill Leliana when her character has potential for more stories.

Sycophant said:

Yes, it's more than enough reason to dump the plotline, or modify it beyond recognition.

Top Bottom