Dragon Age: Inquisition

+
Well the Inquisitor is dying because of the mark.

In the last cutscene we see the Inquisitor without his hand. I guess it was cut off to save his life.
I hope he/she will be an option as a protagonist, similar to DA Awakening.

I turned inquisition into an honor guard. The new Divine needs all the help she can get.

I guess it makes sense. The existence of the Inquisition has strong implications on the world of DA. We've already influenced the fates of two kingdoms. We're shaping history, and it'd seem odd to abandon that story arch now.

That's how I feel. DA:I finished on a giant cliffhanger, it would just feel weird for a protagonist who had no involvement in the Inquisition being the one to track Solas down. Then you end up with two options 1) Inquisitor comes in at the end to talk Solas down/end him - which leaves the player at the sidelines at the climax, which will be disappointing. Or, you have a character who doesn't know Solas but somehow still manages to persuade him to abandon his plans/murders him and the Inquisitor just stands there not doing anything.

I just can't see that plotline being resolved satisfactorily without the Inquisitor being at the helm.

---------- Updated at 03:06 PM ----------

Well the Inquisitor is dying because of the mark. Plus I like the idea of having a different protagonist every game.

I have been reading about Sandal's prophecy. It is very likely he was referring to Solas, not Corypheus. To think that BioWare thought out the overarching plot all those years ago...

Still, I really hope to see Flemeth again one day, despite the vanilla epilogue. Very few characters in very few games manage to channel such presence. Also, I think she never wanted to hurt Keiran in any way. Morrigan mentioned she was being tested and that got me thinking. Despite the fact that Flemeth was often very mean to her, she was never unjust so she wanted to test Morrigan's character

So now we know that the next game is probably going to be in the Imperium, Solas hints at the Qunari being a major threat and Solas will probably be one of the antagonists.

You know what would be cool? If DA4 was the last game in the series and can end in two ways. You agree with Solas that the world needs to be reformed or you stop him, either amicably or forcibly. Judging by how he spoke in the DLC seems to indicate that he wants us to convince him otherwise.

This DLC also shows that BioWare's greatest strength is in making more linear experinces. I don't want them to ditch the open world but rather they make something in between, like DA:O did but just a bit bigger and with the level design of the dungeons in Inquisition. I'd like CDPR to do something similar. I feel that huge open worlds hamper the games.

Didn't Solas take the Inquisitor's hand to save their life? He explains as much when he has really low approval of your Inquisitor.

Me too! Sandal's prophecy sounds exactly like it fits Solas. And yeah I reeeeeeeally want to see Mythal/Flemeth again. Her VA is amazing and her character is so interesting.

Tbh I don't want the series to end yet :( I know it can't go on forever and a lot of games don't last much beyond 3 games, but I feel like Dragon Age has still so much to explore and with a new lead writer, I do wonder if he wants to keep going for a while longer - instead of just one game and then ending it.

Or what will probably happen is that we will jump ahead into the next age. Like Mass Effect has switched to Andromeda.

Or what will probably happen is that we will jump ahead into the next age. Like Mass Effect has switched to Andromeda.
That's what I want to happen. IMO Dragon Age lore is just starting to get interesting. They're starting to flesh out the map in detail. Places like Orlais,Tevinter, Ferelden, Free Marches, Nevarre, Seheron. It's when places like this are fully thought out that you can start telling interesting cultural and political stories. DAI took a step forward with that IMO but not as far as I'd like. I really hope the next game takes place in Tevinter.

That's what I want to happen. IMO Dragon Age lore is just starting to get interesting. They're starting to flesh out the map in detail. Places like Orlais,Tevinter, Ferelden, Free Marches, Nevarre, Seheron. It's when places like this are fully thought out that you can start telling interesting cultural and political stories. DAI took a step forward with that IMO but not as far as I'd like. I really hope the next game takes place in Tevinter.

Yeah I feel exactly the same way. Before DA:I, Dragon Age lore was not something I was interested in at all, now I am dying to explore all these places and learn more about their history (except maybe the Avvar... Jaws of Hakkon kind of killed any interest for me).

Considering the Inquisitor dramatically stabbed a map of Tevinter (which funnily enough has a place marked 'Solas' on it) I expect that is where we will be going.

Personally I really want to go to Rivain. It sounds like a really fascinating place. It has the largest population of Qun followers outside of Qunari territory, but they also have incredibly lax rules about magic, and spirit summoning is very common. Plus the whole matriarchal society sounds interesting too.

Personally I really want to go to Rivain. It sounds like a really fascinating place. It has the largest population of Qun followers outside of Qunari territory, but they also have incredibly lax rules about magic, and spirit summoning is very common. Plus the whole matriarchal society sounds interesting too.
Yeah... I looked at a list of characters from there and it does sound like an interesting place. Duncan, Vivienne, and Isabella are all from there.

Yeah... I looked at a list of characters from there and it does sound like an interesting place. Duncan, Vivienne, and Isabella are all from there.

Duncan and Isabella were. Vivienne's parents were from Rivain but she was born in Ostwick as far as i remember.

It does sound awesome though. Maybe we'll be lucky and get the chance to visit Rivain in DA4. Since we got Orlais AND Ferelden in DA:I.

DA:I 60% off at 24$. Maybe it's time to get it. Or do you think it'll get lower in not-too-long?
If I were you, I'd ask on Origin's forums how much other EA games go on sale for the second Holiday after release. You might be able to get it for less in December.

It's an excellent game. The first half is top notch, IMO. The second half, not so much, but it's not awful either. I don't recommend going for a completionist playthrough unless you want to spend half your time collecting wine bottles.

Last edited:
DA:I 60% off at 24$. Maybe it's time to get it. Or do you think it'll get lower in not-too-long?

Wouldn't do it. Mediocre game imo. Didn't have much fun at release (before Witcher 3) and tried it out last week (after Witcher 3) and stopped playing after 20 minutes.
The game has maybe 5 hours of great content, another 15 hours of "ok" content and the remaning +- 80 hours are just boring.(though the new dlc seems to be pretty good).

I'd say go for it, if you think you'd enjoy a cohesive, lore-heavy but still fairly generic (story/setting-wise) DA2 (artstyle/theme-wise) that has an MMO-ish world (exploration/side quest-wise) attached to it. I saw combat was clunky on PC (which ended up being the deciding factor for me not picking it up), but they've patched some of these control issues away since launch. 60% off sounds fair to me, but wait for a deeper discount unless you really just want to sink your teeth into an involving RPG right now.

Last edited:

You could probably get it even cheaper on the mexican Origin store. I got it for the equivalent of 40$ when it came out instead of 60 euros though I'd check places like reddit to see if EA has changed their stance on this.

If you decide to get it then you should also get the last DLC which I consider to be quite essential. The first two can be safely skipped. Jaws of Hakkon is just more Hinterlands but the Descent is better and has pretty good gameplay. It has a huge dungeon with plenty of exploration but is quite light on the story.

Oh, I almost forgot. The Hinterlands is probably the worst zone in the game from every point of view. Visually it just looks really bland, gameplay is meh (although it has a really cool dwarven Thaig and a couple of castles with plenty of gameplay options.) and nothing interesting happens story-wise until you get to the very end of the zone. Basically take any MMO starter zone, add in shiny graphics and you have the Hinterlands.

The game starts weak and has a slow start but it gets better during the middle and really good near the end.

In my playthrough I turned the Inquisition into the honor guard of Divine Victoria (Vivienne), but in my canon I'm probably going to disband it and just keep it going on the sly with my closest followers. My canon is going to have hardened Leliana as Divine so I expect she will be perfect for ruthlessly tracking down Solas (and taking him out if need be) whilst also knowing the importance of my Inquisitor continuing their fight against Solas without anyone (outside of the inner circle) knowing.

I also think my new canon leader of Orlais is going to be Gaspard. Considering what might be on the horizon, military leaders are going to be more useful than Celene or Briala who aren't experienced at war.

edit: also on reddit, a lot of people are strongly in favour of the Inquisitor being the protagonist of DA4. What do you all think of this?

Personally I think it would be a good idea. The Inquisitor's story doesn't feel finished yet and I think it would be interesting to play as the Inquisitor will a mechanical arm (crafted by Bianca or Dagna, maybe? Then enchanted with something special by Sandal in DA4) as it would open up new combat options.

Damm I hope not
The Inquisitor was so freaking boring... Worst DA protag easily
I want a new protag.

I think having the Inquisitor as the protagonist would go against everything that the series stands for. It's not the Witcher, where everything is connected to Geralt. The devs have always said that DA is about a "time and place" rather than a specific person. Plus, I also found the Inquisitor to be dry as toast. Personally, I'm hoping that they have a new protag that's from Tevinter, since that's where all signs point to the game being set.

I must say I'm having a good time playing DA:I again. I stopped my first run at level 17 early this year, after finding the game extremely boring. But this time I switched the difficulty to Nightmare, as I should have done from start and it's a decent tactical rpg, in the best spirit of DA:Origins. BW strong suit has always been the companions in our party and they're very nice in DA:Inquisition.

To those who have finished the game: How long have you played and did you manage to fulfill all the quests?

I have played a bit more than 100 hours, then it have become too boring for me.
I did not collect all the shards, I think. I am not sure but I think I left the last door because it took really long.
Now I am curious how long others have played to finish the game.

To those who have finished the game: How long have you played and did you manage to fulfill all the quests?

I did not collect all the shards, I think. I am not sure but I think I left the last door because it took really long.

I've got all of the achievements but I didn't do every quest. The shards one was just far too tedious considering you don't really get anything special for doing it.

Also omg I just checked my play time and I've got 696 hours played. Jesus. That's only 250 hours behind Skyrim.

Something like 150 hours for the first playthrough, 110 for the second, with all quests and DLC completed for both.

I got bored and stopped playing after 40 hours or so, truth be told. It was too repetitive for me. I did not even finish the main story. I might go back to it once this crazy tide of good games settles though.

I played and finished the base game once. Completed most of the side-quests, but skipped the shards and astraria. Didn't have it in me to play through the DLC. I would guestimate that I put about 100-120 hours into Inquisition.

My guess is about 250 hours? 2 games all quests, enough shards to open all the doors, killed all dragons plus the dlcs. Combat needs more skills and tactic slots, and mage needs to move while casting; melee still needs work at least on KBM.

I was so damn happy that patch 6 finally fixed party banter, kbm rebind problem (no more qwes and k default) and Iron bull was visible and not stuck in recruitment dialog hell! When I downloaded JOH that somehow fixed my scaling problems and geez the fennecs were big and desire demons had feet. Entering combat stayed at the same pov instead of backing into distance. I was so happy I bought Trespasser and Descent! (sadly pathetic I know)

Still its a bit boring, quests weren't engaging and I never cared about about my character or about the story. There were some good quests though, Champions of the Just was interesting and creative. Crestwood was nicely done. Trespasser was great, it seems they did listen to feedback which is nice.

In DA4 hope they go to Tevinter and help defeat the Qunari. Somehow I don't think that will work out.

Top Bottom