Dragon Age: Inquisition

+
Great, then it should be easy enough to drop the off-topic subject and go back to discussing DA:I :)

This was about DA: I remember? "The Qun demands it." And by it, I mean progressive modern mindsets obviously, lol :p

Anyway, I don't give a flying seabiscuit about any of it. Was trying to drop it a page or so ago.

This was about DA: I remember? "The Qun demands it." And by it, I mean progressive modern mindsets obviously, lol :p

Anyway, I don't give a flying seabiscuit about any of it. Was trying to drop it a page or so ago.

Pretty sure Stephen Fry isn't a character in DA:I. So yes, drop it, please :)

Isn't that slightly lore-breaking? Ah... who cares. I don't give Dragon Age high marks for lore anyways.

Not since The Last Flight. At the end, the protagonist discovers 13 griffon eggs! I loved that book so damn much. Very badass. Retells the 4th blight.

As for actual griffon mounts, I don't know that for sure but I always thought Solas' little joke was foreshadowing, and people said apparently the devs hinted at this in some interview... still trying to find that.

Last edited:
Not since the last flight. At the end, the protagonist discovers 13 griffon eggs! I loved that book so damn much. Very badass. Retells the 4th blight.
*sigh* I hate that logic. I know it's part of the cannon, but why should I have to read the books to understand what is lore and what isn't? IMO it's bad writing in a way.

Last edited:
*sigh* I hate that logic. I know it's part of the cannon, but why should I have to read the books to understand what is lore and what isn't? IMO it's bad writing in a way.

It's not to understand the lore. To everyone else, there's still no griffons. It's a secret. They may reveal it later and let us have griffons, or they might not. It was just a cool way to show us some more history of the game in a way they couldn't in the actual game. It's not really practical to read an entire book from in game anyway, and there wouldn't be a way for our characters to do that in the first place. Some things can only be told outside the game. As long as it's brought up in some way later, if it's a big deal anyway, then it's fine.

If it's not that big a deal to the actual important events of dragon age, then it doesn't matter really. It's just for those fans that care enough to purchase a cheap book with an awesome story.

edit: And the egg discovery is present. The story is told in the past and present through a discovered warden journal.

@Unkindled I dunno. I have problems with book spin-offs of video-games from an artistic perspective. First off, a lot of video-game writing is bad. Second off, Dragon Age isn't good fantasy (if we use Tolkien's definition of fantasy) in the first place. So why dose it deserve spin-offs?

J.R.R. Tolkien's definition of fantasy was "giving the audience a sense of wonder." In the LOTR the vast history of the world is there to give the audience a sense that the world is bigger than what we see in the story. It's to communicate a sense of wonder at what else could be out there.
In The Witcher I get a small sense of this as well. Whereas in Dragon Age I don't because nothing in that universe is original. The world is so generic it practically writes itself, so what purpose does the size of the world serve?

Last edited:
I don't even know who that is and didn't bring it up...

@Finnway, I'll probably lose internetz pointz by saying this, but honestly, Tolkein can stuff it. Good fantasy in my book is fantasy that I enjoy. I enjoy Dragon Age, its lore, and its world, and thereby believe it deserves books that expand on all of that.

And I can verify, this game writing is very good indeed. If one doesn't care enough about secret history of griffons, the blights, old gods and grey wardens, or dragon age in general, then that's fine and they're not going to like it no matter how good the writing is, same as how I wouldn't care about a book on dark souls, no matter who wrote it.

And this, sir, is merely your opinion.
I never pretended it was otherwise.

I don't see the point in comparing it to Tolkien's fantasy.
To illustrate the role lore plays in a story when used properly. Lore gives the audience a sense of wonder; an illusion that the world is larger and more mysterious than what we read on the page or see on a movie screen. Personally, I can't get invested in Dragon Age's lore in the slightest because it follows all the tropes of modern fantasy writing to a hilt. Like I said in my last post, it practically writes itself. Everything in the Dragon Age universe has been done in fantasy writing before. There is not an original bone in its body.

Is anyone willing to chime in with some early game advice. I made it through the Haven intro, and I've been wandering the hinterlands doing side quests in no sort of orderly manner. I believe my warrior is now level 5 and my power is level 13. I just feel totally lost... Is there early quests to try for better gear? Should I spend more time switching/transporting back to the war council so I can send people out on those "map" quests? I bought one of the earlier dragon quest games but never even opened the packaging so this is my first real DA experience. It just seems like there is a thousand things going on all at once and I sunddenly have gaming ADD. :/

Is anyone willing to chime in with some early game advice. I made it through the Haven intro, and I've been wandering the hinterlands doing side quests in no sort of orderly manner. I believe my warrior is now level 5 and my power is level 13. I just feel totally lost... Is there early quests to try for better gear? Should I spend more time switching/transporting back to the war council so I can send people out on those "map" quests? I bought one of the earlier dragon quest games but never even opened the packaging so this is my first real DA experience. It just seems like there is a thousand things going on all at once and I sunddenly have gaming ADD. :/

At about level 7, just continue with the story and ignore any fetchy sidequesty stuff (unless it's a real sidequest). Stuff worth doing for instance is the mission you have to rescue your men from Avvar. That level is fun (and not in the hinterlands), and dealing with the blades of hassaren in the storm coast.

So go to val royeaux, talk with the chantry lady and templars, then after that, just move on whenever you're ready. The hinterlands isn't worth sticking around. Especially not after you've cleared the fort south of the map and gone to the deep roads, then did all the relevant quest related stuff. There is the dragon to kill, but you likely won't be doing that this early.

I personally wait till level 9 at least, but 7 is good enough.

I hope the next game has smaller and more focused worlds.

---------- Updated at 05:18 PM ----------

To illustrate the role lore plays in a story when used properly. Lore gives the audience a sense of wonder; an illusion that the world is larger and more mysterious than what we read on the page or see on a movie screen. Personally, I can't get invested in Dragon Age's lore in the slightest because it follows all the tropes of modern fantasy writing to a hilt. Like I said in my last post, it practically writes itself. Everything in the Dragon Age universe has been done in fantasy writing before. There is not an original bone in its body.

It's not meant to be original. It's meant to be a classic fantasy story with high production values like excellent voice acting, excellent music and excellent graphics coupled with a well-realized story that follows all the tropes but still has the occasional original concept and character. There is nothing wrong with this kind of game.

I really understand what you are saying. While I enjoyed DA:I, I had seen almost everything the game had to offer in previous titles. It's a very good game but I couldn't fall in love with it because I've seen this kind of thing so many times now. It's a bit like what's going on with MMOs, It doesn;t matter if SWOTR is a good WoW clone with above average story and VA (for an MMO), players are already used to the MMO "experience". Grinding, daily questing, quest hubs and raids were once very novel things for the games industry but players are bored out of their skull with it right now. You can't just take these tired game design principles and expect people to like them again just because it's a new game. Even the new WOW expansion, which is the best so far fails to maintain my attention because although the graphics are far better, the storytelling is far better and the gameplay mechanics are far better, at its core it's still the same game I've been playing for 7 years. People often confuse this with the game or the developers sucking.

I think people also expected the game to make them feel exactly like DA:O did, While certainly reasonable I don't think it is really possible. For starters lots of us were still teenagers who had played only a handful of CRPGs before when DA came out. My point is that we were different people with different tastes back then. 5 years have passed now and people change a lot in 5 years, especially young people like myself and maybe we don't always notice it. To give an example, the ending cutscene of act 1 in TW1 had a really big impact on me when I first saw it, it was the first story driven RPG I had ever played. That was in 2008. If I saw something of similar quality today I probably would not be nearly as impressed as I was back then because I have matured as a person and so have my tastes.

The element of surprise is no longer possible either. Not only do we read a ton about games before we play then but we also had expectations from the games we play nowadays. When I played ME, TW and DA for the first time I had no expectations and I think that made the experience better.

I don't think there are very grave blunders in DA. The graphics are excellent, the writing is good with a few standout moments https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9EBcOUhgbA (The actress should get an oscar for the performance. This moment was brilliant. Shame about the lip sync), voice acting is great and the story is OK but I feel that the game didn't take enough risks. I think BioWare played it a little too safe but I can't blame them after DA2.

Last edited:

It's meant to sell games for an AAA developer. Of course it's not blindingly original. The Witcher games aren't even an original IP, so it's a bit rich to compare them. You can still enjoy something even though it's not terribly unique or out of the ordinary.

Crafting can change the game a lot so definitely collect materials and consider Inquisition perks that will get you good materials. The war table quests are mostly optional but can open up some further quests so yeah, check them out. Don't get too burdened by the "get 10 of this and 5 of that" kind of quests. You'll get plenty of Power and Influence just doing more interesting things. Stick to plot-central and companion quests and some exploring.

I've played good two hours of DA:I today, all of that wandering and talking to people in Haven. This game must be a nightmare for someone with gaming OCD :p All this iron, elfroot and God knows what to collect.

I've noticed Elfroot grows back... and so does iron apparently [hue hue].

Anyhow, I'm playing as a mage. The skill tree isn't particuralt robust, but still... which element should I invest in? Fire, Cold, Lightning? Should I max one and leave the other, or mix things up? I already picked barrier and agression reduction passive, from that fourth tree by the way.

I've played good two hours of DA:I today, all of that wandering and talking to people in Haven. This game must be a nightmare for someone with gaming OCD :p All this iron, elfroot and God knows what to collect.

I've noticed Elfroot grows back... and so does iron apparently [hue hue].

Anyhow, I'm playing as a mage. The skill tree isn't particuralt robust, but still... which element should I invest in? Fire, Cold, Lightning? Should I max one and leave the other, or mix things up? I already picked barrier and agression reduction passive, from that fourth tree by the way.

Are you playing on normal? If so, lightning is the most fun, and its pretty useful. @Veleda will tell you to go with that for the lightning cage ability and the little dragon ball z kai burst thing (I forgot the actual name). It's like a barrage of spell shots that bounces off the surface of things and follows your target. Lots of damage.

But fire is superior in the damage department if you ask me, thanks to the fire mine spell. Combine that with a rift mage's fade sucking ability and you do monstrous damage.

Fire also combos well with necromages and their fear abilities. All spell schools work fine, I just find that mages are more deadly on higher difficulties with that combo.

I'd focus on one element though, while giving the rest of your points to the green section that increases your barriers and lowers your aggro. Then give most of the rest to the fire tree, and maybe some others to whichever you please. I'd say the lightning tree if you do mix it up.

But again, that's for anything above normal. Normal and below, just pick what's the most fun. You'll get along just fine.

I enjoy both the fire and lightning trees. Ice, not so much. It's a good CC tree for Solas. You can always respec using the amulets you can buy from your Inquisition smith. Get one in Haven since he'll reload again later with a 1-gold version.

I do like Static Cage and Energy Barrage, but Colonel is right that combined with rift mage's Pull of the Abyss ability, Fire Mine does crazy damage. That's a late game strategy though, so you could start out with lightning and then respec. Knight Enchanter is kind of boring IMO but you're able to solo a dragon so some people like it. It has really good passives, so on my main elf I take it and then just use Spirit Blade on enemies that have high guard or armor, like dragons and revenants.

I built my mage around melee skills and Knight Enchanter specialization. I had a Qunari, they have an innate 10% resistance to melee. I would recommend using frost magic (more mobility and defense) first. It synergizes very well with the spec by providing extra defense options in melee. Lightning magic would be my second choice. It adds variety and has nice crowd control options.
If you're planning on playing a Rift Mage I would recommand lightning magic first.

I haven't played much with Fire magic and Necromancer.

In any case, some skills in spirit are useful and essential (Barrier) if you're the only mage in the party.

Top Bottom