Eldain Trap Decks: OP or Not?

+
Let me explain why Eldain is the "best leader"

I know you put "best" between quotes, but still best ≠ fun. Eldain is not as bad as some players make him out to be. It's just that, ironically, Brouver does a better job with traps than the leader that was made for using traps.

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
I look forward to using him when the expansion comes out as I expect that traps will see an increase in power level.

Right now he's definitely not viable at higher ranks.

I know you put "best" between quotes, but still best ≠ fun. Eldain is not as bad as some players make him out to be. It's just that, ironically, Brouver does a better job with traps than the leader that was made for using traps.

This. Brouver can generate 12 points damage on a single bronze trap play vs Eldain's 9 across the entire game including three traps played.

Brouver + traps, Brouver + elves, Fila + dwarves, Monster deck with Witchers, Arnjolf's auto-bloodthirst. It's like CDPR simply cannot be bothered anymore., they've even given up on lore.

Well despite everyone calling him bad, I pretty much climb easily with him, and I don't see any "counters" maybe you are just playing the wrong decks, or playing on a higher rank than i'm :D

rrc

Forum veteran
Well despite everyone calling him bad, I pretty much climb easily with him, and I don't see any "counters" maybe you are just playing the wrong decks, or playing on a higher rank than i'm :D
In which rank you are playing Regeiezz? I reached Rank 6 with other leaders and and then tried Eldain at rank 6. It was simply impossible to win with him. May be 1 game in 8-9 games. He can't generate enough tempo and lacks proactive plays. He was good and fun till tank 12ish and then I had to switch leader/faction to rank up. But at rank 6, he is simply impossible to win with. Sometimes even with the best hands possible.

In which rank you are playing Regeiezz? I reached Rank 6 with other leaders and and then tried Eldain at rank 6. It was simply impossible to win with him. May be 1 game in 8-9 games. He can't generate enough tempo and lacks proactive plays. He was good and fun till tank 12ish and then I had to switch leader/faction to rank up. But at rank 6, he is simply impossible to win with. Sometimes even with the best hands possible.

Believe it or not I've seen it on pro rank. Played by a very good player, actually. Not naming any names but it was basically trap/artifact/weather spam degeneracy :). Got wrecked by it twice running Crach because there was literally nothing to hit for most of the game. Managed to beat it with Brouver because I was completely unwilling to pass out of R1 and wanted to force it's key cards out R2. I could very much see how it would have some good match-ups though. As much as I hate to admit it, as I really do not like playing with or against such decks (even though I have from time to time), it was quite clever.

I got to rank 6 just yesterday https://www.playgwent.com/en/profile/Regiezz, and I'm only playing him, i have even a positive winrate, I could've pushed even further but there wasn't much time, (Shameless plug) You can check the guide I made on the first page :D .

I reached rank 3 playing only with him too.

I'ts very difficult and fun at the same time try to play with Eldain, you must be smart and try to confuse the enemy in the order in which you play your traps.

I have an original deck too so the enemy doesn't know which tactics I will use and how. (the only thing he could know is that I have some traps, but of course that's obvious)

My best match until now was against The Patricide, he was using two spears in the third round (long round, 10 cards in hand) and typical Skellige cards. You know it was one of those good and annoying decks from Aretuza. I killed all his units with traps and weather effects including the leader. He had literally 0 points at the end of the round and I had like 26 points or something like that. In 9 turns he could only use his two spears in his last turn when all his units had already died. That was super satisfying. most of my units came out in my last turn.

As I said Eldain is fun but hard to play. I've had a lot of problems against Woodland and Gernichora decks. I had to win the first round yes or yes against those leaders to get a long third round. In short rounds I was super dead, and sometimes I was super dead in long turns too against them. Monsters are op. They are easy to play and very very powerful. thrive mechanics, crones, wild hunt raiders, giants, etc. A lot of easy points.

I hate the trap deck and playing against it sucks, but it's not OP, just a different tactic. After some trial and error I've beat multiple trap decks where it looked impossible to win. Sure it sucks to sacrifice units and add a "white frost" into your deck, especially if you have a spy(Roche) and like to put artifacts on the board. But at least you can then also counter the trap decks.

I added the white frost into my main deck, and so far it hasn't cost me in terms of what I had to give up for it.

I still hate trap decks and find them annoying. But it is a legit tactic, a different type of tactic, and as such belong in a rich and diverse game. There are other "special" tactics as well, and they can feel equally OP if you have the wrong deck. No single deck is good against all tactics, we all have to live with that, and I don't think trap deck is OP compared to other special tactics.

Ps. My main deck is "diverse" and "solve problems as they come" and gain superiority, not a synergy deck.
Post automatically merged:

Clear weather is also OP. That card needs to go. What was CDPR thinking?

Everyone has that in their deck, no?

Last edited:
Damn it, I wanted to make traps as my first deck but feeling a bit disappointed after this thread. Gotta wait for the expansion then to see if it will be viable.
P.S. Can anybody provide me with a link to most regularly updated site with decks? Is the best site gwentup.com?

I wanted to make traps as my first deck but feeling a bit disappointed after this thread. Gotta wait for the expansion then to see if it will be viable.

Traps are already viable, just not beginner friendly to play and, as such, I wouldn't recommend it as your first deck.

Can anybody provide me with a link to most regularly updated site with decks? Is the best site gwentup.com?

GwentUP and the newly launched official site.

Thanks for the answer. Complexity doesn't really bother me, I do enjoy more to have a hard time learning the deck than to just go and play monsters (like most of the opponents on beginner ranks do) with kinda straightforward strategy.
Gotta check out the spoilers from the new set, but I guess ST and NG would mostly suit me in playstyle.

[...]
Gotta check out the spoilers from the new set, but I guess ST and NG would mostly suit me in playstyle.
In case you want to be able to disable plays they would be the most fitting, given that the obvious lock focus of Nilfgaard and the rather reliable anti-artifact card Ida (still versatile outside of that case) and lock on Ciaran allow easier adaption without being forced to run subpar cards to counter high power engines and artifacts.

[...] In short rounds I was super dead, and sometimes I was super dead in long turns too against them. Monsters are op. They are easy to play and very very powerful. thrive mechanics, crones, wild hunt raiders, giants, etc. A lot of easy points.
Easy to blame a weakness of your deck, which, mind you, a lot of other decks can exploit, on a faction that is supposed to be on the advantageous spot in the Rock-Paper-Scissors design of decks.
It is not a miracle a deck that runs little removal will not cry for not being able to spend it due to a lack of targets.
The thrive mechanic can easily be exploited using cards like Auckes, Gimpy Gerwin, Schirru (especially Schirru), basicly any kind of removal to be quite honest and higher base tempo.
Giants are not point effective in the remotest and very weak to powerful control tools like Geralt and Leo, however do have tempo.
Wild Hunter Riders are reliant on the Dominance keyword and fall completely flat when you deny it.
Crones are indeed quite good, however the same holds true for the Viper Witcher Trio etc.
I fail to see why so many people make excuses for not being favoured in a matchup in which they get countered.
Big Monsters (especially Gernichora and Woodland Spirit) play a mixture of engines in the form of thrive units and pure point cards,
Obviously a mix of removal/control and engines will beat them most of the time, however a deck mainly trying to dodge removal by giving up a lot of points for getting them later (which is honestly a lot like immune, which is still a keyword people despise Eredin for) and trying to punish large rows (which Monsters do not do quite often, apart from Arachas Queen).
However you turn it Eldain gets countered twice in the Rock-Paper-Scissors aspect, given that both Eldain and "Big Monsters" focus on 2 of these aspects, while both of Eldains aims get specifically countered by "Big Monsters".
And players which are not willing to accept these facts often flee into calling something "OP", "unfair", "bad design", "autoplay", "... not fun to play against", "... very, very ... strong", "... easy to play" and so on.
From the perspective of these decks NR engine decks look just as much as "autoplay", "too strong" etc., while that is just simply not true and people should accept being unfavoured in matchups in which they get countered.

The easiest example would be these 3 cards:
a) 9 point body
b) 4 point body with 4 damage on deploy
c) 8 point body with immune

Currently you are the one playing c) and saying a) should not be favoured.

In case you want to be able to disable plays they would be the most fitting, given that the obvious lock focus of Nilfgaard and the rather reliable anti-artifact card Ida (still versatile outside of that case) and lock on Ciaran allow easier adaption without being forced to run subpar cards to counter high power engines and artifacts.

Easy to blame a weakness of your deck, which, mind you, a lot of other decks can exploit, on a faction that is supposed to be on the advantageous spot in the Rock-Paper-Scissors design of decks.
It is not a miracle a deck that runs little removal will not cry for not being able to spend it due to a lack of targets.
The thrive mechanic can easily be exploited using cards like Auckes, Gimpy Gerwin, Schirru (especially Schirru), basicly any kind of removal to be quite honest and higher base tempo.
Giants are not point effective in the remotest and very weak to powerful control tools like Geralt and Leo, however do have tempo.
Wild Hunter Riders are reliant on the Dominance keyword and fall completely flat when you deny it.
Crones are indeed quite good, however the same holds true for the Viper Witcher Trio etc.
I fail to see why so many people make excuses for not being favoured in a matchup in which they get countered.
Big Monsters (especially Gernichora and Woodland Spirit) play a mixture of engines in the form of thrive units and pure point cards,
Obviously a mix of removal/control and engines will beat them most of the time, however a deck mainly trying to dodge removal by giving up a lot of points for getting them later (which is honestly a lot like immune, which is still a keyword people despise Eredin for) and trying to punish large rows (which Monsters do not do quite often, apart from Arachas Queen).
However you turn it Eldain gets countered twice in the Rock-Paper-Scissors aspect, given that both Eldain and "Big Monsters" focus on 2 of these aspects, while both of Eldains aims get specifically countered by "Big Monsters".
And players which are not willing to accept these facts often flee into calling something "OP", "unfair", "bad design", "autoplay", "... not fun to play against", "... very, very ... strong", "... easy to play" and so on.
From the perspective of these decks NR engine decks look just as much as "autoplay", "too strong" etc., while that is just simply not true and people should accept being unfavoured in matchups in which they get countered.

The easiest example would be these 3 cards:
a) 9 point body
b) 4 point body with 4 damage on deploy
c) 8 point body with immune

Currently you are the one playing c) and saying a) should not be favoured.

Except that monster are never only based on thrives. Nekker can be eaten by Glustygloop or simply consumed for additional purposes. I don't remember every english names, my game is in french, but every thrives card has either deploy dmg or swarm mechanic added to it, so locking it won't solve it. Also wasting a gold card like Schirru or a lock like Auckes for a 4 point provision card feels bad.
You can't deny Wild hunt raider. They ll be played at the start of the turn, and that it. Either turn 1,2, or 3 . And monster have some of hightest card point in the game, either through base strengh or consume. There is a reason Raiders are played in 99% monster deck atm.
Giants (I assume your talking about spear tip) isn't weak in the slightest, as you are pretending. Yes , you can counter it, fortunatly, IF you have a card like Geralt at that time or Leo Bonhard (assuming you play nilfgaard). Assuming you didn't use Geralt on, lets say, the 8 point creature of first round, or his buffed Keyran, or his buffed crones. A lot of assuming here .
Crones are sick good, and way more versatile that the witcher trio. Leto doesn't do anything if he is alone in your hand, and his effectiveness decrease for each witcher you v played before. If I remember correctly, Crones is opposite, they get stronger as you play them. That very different in tempo, because witcher gets weaker and weaker as you play them, meanwhile Crones only get better.
Gernichora is +2 every turn if you have a slyzard. Add the Afflictio (and Dettlaf: Superior vampire) eating combo + Caranthir + Keyran + tossing giant and wow, the number only keep skyrocketing.
I have played Gernichora and Dettlaf deck a lot recently, and my winrate is far superior to any other deck . You re not countered by anything but mass lock and big removal deck, because your Afflicio and Dettlaf will soak any punishment and your buffing ability is stronger than most deck. Even mass lock may fail, because of the sheer power of monster card (crones , Keyran Dettlaff etcetc). The only time I lost with Gernichora deck is when I had no choice but to buff only a couple of unit and they got destroyed by Geralt igni combo / scorch deck for the gernichora. For the Dettlaff, I see no counter honestly, except maybe heavy, well timed removal and a bad mulligan. The strengh of this deck is when you manage to setup your Crimson weather card with Dettlaff, its a neat +20 point. Which is fairly easy with Dettlaff+Caranthir, opponent usually doesn't have endless amount of lock unless they play Nilfgaard.
That, plus the fact that you have so many removal as well with Regis, protonoctule and all the vampire bleed that you can remove opponent keycard easily and outvalue them anyways .

Traps is pretty bad. Haven't seen any Eldain decks since crimson was released. Somehow CDPR released over 100 cards and only 1 was a trap? Yeah ok.

Top Bottom