Ending: Ciri [SPOILERS]

+
Ending: Ciri [SPOILERS]

I still cannot understand one thing - what happens to the White Frost. In both witcheress and death ending (haven't played empress one yet) Ciri goes to the White Frost dimension,reminisces about the past and then you either meet her in the inn or she is dead. So if she survives, that means the White Frost has not been stopped ? Only her death can stop it? But didn't the books say that her child could stop the white frost. And if the White Frost is stopped in both scenarios, why does she have to die in one of them and survive in the other? Maybe she just wants to be more independent and fakes her death and roams the worlds, while in the other she goes back to Geralt and becomes a witcheress ? Could someone explain?

Ciri survives if she has the will to live.

If Geralt hasn't shown her that life is worth living, that he respects her as an adult, and that he loves her unconditionally then she dies as an alternative.

If she doesn't have some "fun" moments then she decides its better to die in a noble sacrifice than continue living the hell of her life.

Which is horrible because in any Ciri dies ending, he DID LOVE HER that way.

To be fair, even in the bad ending, no one really knows what happened to her, she stops the white frost, and then she disappears, everyone assumes she's dead, but she could have just as well teleported to another world. At any rate, the bad ending is really depressing.

Seriously, can we not put spoilers in TOPIC name please ?
I got spoiled, because I was searching the other general forum and this was showing as the newest thread :mad:

are we certain that she stopped the white frost in any ending but the one where she died?
Couldn't she have just as well decided to keep on living because life was "good enough"? Wasn't one of the themes being selfish and choosing personal happiness over the greater good?
Although I agree that the empress ending doesn't make sense then. Choosing to live and not help everyone in every world but then choosing the greater good when it comes to helping people in one world is a little off but could still work since she doesn't have to die to help people. That's only natural to be honest: Yeah I'll inconvenience myself to help (less fortunate) people but I won't choose certain death for anyone except those very very close to me. ( but that's me personally I guess).
So are there quotes or statements in any of the endings definitively saying that the white frost is in fact stopped?

are we certain that she stopped the white frost in any ending but the one where she died?
Couldn't she have just as well decided to keep on living because life was "good enough"? Wasn't one of the themes being selfish and choosing personal happiness over the greater good?
So are there quotes or statements in any of the endings definitively saying that the white frost is in fact stopped?

Well, Geralt says the White Frost is stopped.

I also think Ciri being able to stop the White Frost is a great moment for her because everyone was assuming she'd be nothing more than a broodmare to the Chosen One.

I got spoiled, because I was searching the other general forum and this was showing as the newest thread :mad:

Well I did not see the need to put spoilers when the thread is in Story SPOILER forum and in Main quest subforum.

To be fair, even in the bad ending, no one really knows what happened to her, she stops the white frost, and then she disappears, everyone assumes she's dead, but she could have just as well teleported to another world. At any rate, the bad ending is really depressing.

True, although, the official guide states she dies... but that's hardly set in stone either.

Couldn't stand Ciri in the books and skipped her chapters after a while. Would have been glad she died in the game if it didn't lead to Geralt getting swarmed and probably dying in the swamp. Somebody should have tossed her into the sea as a baby, lots of people would still be living. It seems all people ever do is die for her or are killed by her.

Couldn't stand Ciri in the books and skipped her chapters after a while. Would have been glad she died in the game if it didn't lead to Geralt getting swarmed and probably dying in the swamp. Somebody should have tossed her into the sea as a baby, lots of people would still be living. It seems all people ever do is die for her or are killed by her.

Death follow her.

Dunno, don't feel like she died in the bad ending at all.
The difference was between Negative or Positive emotions of hers towards Geralt... Since Vesemir is gone, she cares about Geralt first and foremost...
If Geralt treats her like shit, she won't see a reason to return to that world after stopping the White Frost so instead she just travels to another world and does her stuff.
If he treats her well, no doubt she wants to return hence the other 2 endings...
Also in the epilogue it is said that no one knew what happened with Ciri after the event (Bad ending epilogue), probably hinting that she didn't die, just disappeared because of reasons mentioned above.

I don't feel like I treated Ciri badly just because I preferred her not to wreck Avallachs hideout or offered to meet the sorceresses together.
I also missed the snow-ball fight - did not feel so cheerful after the funeral during my first playthrough...

It's in the SPOILER section so you should expect spoilers.

---------- Updated at 04:24 PM ----------

Wow. You have issues way beyond this game.

---------- Updated at 04:30 PM ----------

I don't feel like I treated Ciri badly just because I preferred her not to wreck Avallachs hideout or offered to meet the sorceresses together.
I also missed the snow-ball fight - did not feel so cheerful after the funeral during my first playthrough...

You didn't offer to meet them you were telling her that you were going. Big difference. You are saying that she can't handle things on her own without your help.

Sometimes the needs of others outweigh your needs. That was the moral behind the snowball fight. You placed your needs above what she needed.

Wrecking the lab is more complex. But the game doesn't require all the choices to get a good ending. You can miss one of them IIRC. But wrecking the lab is shown to be a way to release your anger. Not to keep it bottled up. Ciri felt extremely betrayed at that point. She needed to release the emotions she felt inside. Keeping them bottled up was not the answer and since the choices were limited to keeping the feelings bottled up or releasing them it was better to release them.

---------- Updated at 04:30 PM ----------

You didn't offer to meet them you were telling her that you were going. Big difference. You are saying that she can't handle things on her own without your help.

Sometimes the needs of others outweigh your needs. That was the moral behind the snowball fight. You placed your needs above what she needed.

Wrecking the lab is more complex. But the game doesn't require all the choices to get a good ending. You can miss one of them IIRC. But wrecking the lab is shown to be a way to release your anger. Not to keep it bottled up. Ciri felt extremely betrayed at that point. She needed to release the emotions she felt inside. Keeping them bottled up was not the answer and since the choices were limited to keeping the feelings bottled up or releasing them it was better to release them.

Well I knew that reasoning but I would say for all the decisions you could provide proper reasoning for the opposite decision:
When you join her to bury Skjall you could also argue that you're saying she can't handle things alone. With the snowball fight you treat her more like child. Sitting down for a drink seems more like a Witcher thing and she's supposed to want to become a witcher isn't she?
Also there are other parts of the story with Ciri (e.g. her friends in Novigrad) that do not count at all. That also seem to be pretty arbitrary.

Well I knew that reasoning but I would say for all the decisions you could provide proper reasoning for the opposite decision:
When you join her to bury Skjall you could also argue that you're saying she can't handle things alone. With the snowball fight you treat her more like child. Sitting down for a drink seems more like a Witcher thing and she's supposed to want to become a witcher isn't she?
Also there are other parts of the story with Ciri (e.g. her friends in Novigrad) that do not count at all. That also seem to be pretty arbitrary.

But you can do that with every decision point in every game ever created. Help tree or crones, kill a guy or let him live, kill Metz or not, etc. Point is CDPR made a decision and to get their results you must follow their logic. They gave you plenty of clues to do so.

It's in the SPOILER section so you should expect spoilers.

Not in the thread title, though. It's so self-centered. It 's not nor should it be required to have finished all the quests and have finished the game before treading into this subforum. It's perfectly reasonable for someone to have, say, finished Act 1 and come here to get other player's take on some particular quest.

My other pet peeve are people who like to post titles like, "Ending Sucks!!! *spoilers*" Excuse me? Isn't that a spoiler in and of itself? I mean, what's my motivation now to finish the game? Or how can I continue enjoying this game when I know disappointment is looming? Irritates me to death.

:mad:

[/rant]

:cool:

Not in the thread title, though. It's so self-centered. It 's not nor should it be required to have finished all the quests and have finished the game before treading into this subforum. It's perfectly reasonable for someone to have, say, finished Act 1 and come here to get other player's take on some particular quest.

My other pet peeve are people who like to post titles like, "Ending Sucks!!! *spoilers*" Excuse me? Isn't that a spoiler in and of itself? I mean, what's my motivation now to finish the game? Or how can I continue enjoying this game when I know disappointment is looming? Irritates me to death.

:mad:

[/rant]

:cool:

The whole section is a reader beware.

As for "Ending sucks" threads you need to not let some unknown person influence you so much just because they posted something on the internet. If someone posted "Life Sucks" would you commit suicide? So play the game and you be your own judge.

Agreed, I think that near the release of the big DLCs it would be a good idea to weave a few more choices into the game that are more obviously for/against Ciri's well-being, so it doesn't feel that random at the end. Like getting in possession on Ciri's personal item that you can sell for good money or keep until you meet her or sth like that -wouldn't be that difficult to add a couple of things like it.

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...oiler-forums?p=1661648&viewfull=1#post1661648

First guideline:
- Thread titles should not contain spoilers.
If someone starts to read a thread, then they should expect to see spoilers, but as VirtualMe said, someone should be able to visit these subforums to find help on a particular quest WITHOUT seeing major spoilers in the titles of other threads.
So please show courtesy to other forum members in the future.

And now maybe you can get back to the topic?

Cannot yet create a thread so I 'll resurrect this one :)
Just finished it.
Got the "bad ending".
Puzzled, irritated, baffled, then searched the Internet for answers... and found this.
After reading a bit, seems to me the critics against the bad ending are always dismissed (missed ?) with the same kind of half baked psychological explanation : Ciri's lack of self confidence due to some interactions between her and Gerald resulted in her tragic end.

It doesn't make a lick of sense.

In fact, the problem is NOT primarily the fact that she does or not build up such confidence due to some dialogue choices, it's the disproportionality between the CAUSE and the EFFECT, meaning her seemingly failing at saving herself (or not ?) while saving (or not ?) the world at the same time. Why ON EARTH would she suddenly lack the will to survive, while stating loud and clear she's willing to sacrifice herself to save the world if needed ? WHY would some memories popping up in her head in the midst of a blizzard change her resolve ? It's egregious. Utterly devoid of common sense.
So I got the bad ending, without understanding why or how. What happened in the frost ? Did she really die ? Did she save the world ? How would Gerald know anything ? Why would he forfeit his love (Yen or Triss) and friends to die in the witch's hut because Ciri vanished ?
No. Sense.
The only way that such choices can make sense is in deciding Ciri's life path, witcher or emperess. Did she feel always undervalued, treated like a child, overly protected, then why not, out of spite, becoming a big ruler ? Or did she get the opposite treatment, then let's go with the independent, confident witcher's path. Why not ? Not punishing to the player, and understandable.
The ONLY way I could have seen that "bad ending" thing happened, was some kind of final fight where you would beat the boss but fail to save Ciri (like in silenhill 4 the room for example), followed by a cinematic with the last witch. Still leaves the matter of the frost unsolved, though. But again, I don't know anything about that anyway....
But to make it solely depends on some dialogues spread out over a lengthy game, making it virtually impossible to backtrack it, a game whose story was about saving her first and foremost ? I cannot see how the writers could have find it meaningful.
So, what did I do ? I used the console commands before the last scene and change the ending. GREAT....right ?....
And then I saw those memories changed, and guess what, some of them actually matched my first play through...
Again, it's not that I don't follow the writer's logic, it's just that it lacks any common sense, feels arbitrary and unfair to the player. So really a "bad" ending....

Last edited:
Top Bottom