[Ending spoilers!]- Gaunter O'Dimm intentions?

+
[Ending spoilers!]- Gaunter O'Dimm intentions?

Ok, so this guy is literally devil (number of references to this guy is astonishing by the way) and most likely he has only bad things at mind (I hope we will get one more DLC with him), but I don't understand a single thing here- why would he help Geralt in finding Yennefer? He literally has no other role in W3 than setting player on Yen's trail and he appears never again. He talks about love and wanting to help, but why would he do that?

I think that he merely did that so you would "owe him one" and since he's only interest is human souls (guess he considers Witchers human as well) then that led him into persuading Geralt to get into a pact/contract with him in this expansion. He did brought up the fact that he helped you finding Yennefer before helping you again on the boat.

He reminded me most of the Devil by the crossroads in Supernatural TV series, but with way more power (since the hints as to who he is leads to be the Evil Incarnate aka Satan).

His intentions have always been to get people into pacts so he could claim their souls.

Right, but why is he goading some noble, rather than Geralt? I love how he "manipulates" people, by making them think they will never have to pay their debts, but he literally could be absent from W3 (without DLC) and it'd be hardly a loss. Geralt doesn't really have much of a choice when sitting in a ship, so he must accept- Yennefer or not.

I think his story is not yet closed (I certainly hope so!) and he will come back in another dlc. It's not about any real loose ends- all characters involved are pretty much "done" by now, but he looks like someone who could yet return (Diary entry suggests it too).

^ He was actually there at the beginning of the game remember? He's like the first person you encounter in the Inn that also helps you meet with Yennefer..so he IS in the game outside of the expansion, but is most likely plotting behind the scenes to make contracts with many people to grab their souls.

I also hopes he comes back, but I have a feeling we won't get to see him in Blood and Wine.

In the main game, i don't think he serves any other purpose than to set up the expansion. Without it, he'll just be another mysterious individual which the main game is already full of. Master Mirror seems to be all seeing and all knowing. So my guess is he was looking for his proxy, and had his eyes on Geralt. So he helped Geralt find Yen to see what the witcher was capable of

Honestly, Gaunter is probably the most powerful entity in Witcher world ever. His reasons could be very well a whim, simply because he wanted to see something interesting happen. I mean, why does he collect souls? And why does he goes through the contracts, even though he could simply come and took anyones without asking? Most likely, he simply likes it. Likes the game, likes how he can see the greed on faces of those he offers his service and than despair when he fullfils their deal to the word.

After all, if you outwit him you cannot understand his words but as a goodbye he claps. I just kinda imagined how he grinds saying "good game".

Honestly, I feel like Geralt was totally and utterly out of his league dealing with Gaunter (in a good way, storywise). To me, he only barely escapes O'Dimm's trap by either saving Olgeird or by refusing to be rewarded. I really can't see things going well for Geralt if he ever meets Gaunter again (barring some outlandish deus ex machina), so in that sense, I'm happy with the O'Dimm storyline ending as it is now.

We already see Geralt kinda stepping out of his league dealing with the Crones/Tree Spirit as well as the Hym demon on Skellige. But O'Dimm just blows these guys out of the water... I'd say let's not keep pushing our Witcher's luck on eldrich cosmic beings, lol.

His intentions are to take peoples souls and put them in purgatory. He is Lucifer, evil incarnate. The devil. He speaks in sone sort of ancient evil tongue if you defeat him. His eyes are reptilian like and his face is decaying and evil when you catch him in the pool of water.

He's Lucifer. I'm fairly certain.

^ He was actually there at the beginning of the game remember? He's like the first person you encounter in the Inn that also helps you meet with Yennefer..so he IS in the game outside of the expansion, but is most likely plotting behind the scenes to make contracts with many people to grab their souls.

I also hopes he comes back, but I have a feeling we won't get to see him in Blood and Wine.

Actually, what I'm asking about is why he helped Geralt find Yen- he has no business in it, even plot wise he could be replaced by random peasant- anyone actually. And he references to this situation only once in DLC. That's why I think, that his story is not yet completely told.

I also don't think he'll be in BaW, at least not as main character (it would have to intertwin heavily with HoS), but I'd love to bump into this guy in some dark alley (in game only of course!) and have a short talk about past events.

EDIT:
We already see Geralt kinda stepping out of his league dealing with the Crones/Tree Spirit as well as the Hym demon on Skellige. But O'Dimm just blows these guys out of the water... I'd say let's not keep pushing our Witcher's luck on eldrich cosmic beings, lol.

I don't know if You've read books, but it's not that simple... Witcher world revolves around superstitions and beliefs. Anyone can be defeated- if You know what to do with him. Of course trying to beat Devil in melee combat would most likely end bad (heck- I barely took down Olgierd...), but one can trick every eldritch being in Witcher universe.

Plus- I think that Crones, Hym, Tree Spirit and Gaunter were most interesting characters I ever met in game... It's a shame that Wild Hunt wasn't half as interesting.

Last edited:
I liked how you could not "defeat" him. Not really, he will be back. But I dont think he will show up again in an expansion. Probably a good thing for Geralt. I dont think we really need him to show up again either. You cant tie up every story with the good guy saving the day. Evil conquered. Some things are eternal. Like evil.

I liked how you could not "defeat" him. Not really, he will be back. But I dont think he will show up again in an expansion. Probably a good thing for Geralt. I dont think we really need him to show up again either. You cant tie up every story with the good guy saving the day. Evil conquered. Some things are eternal. Like evil.

He's a Devil, You know. He can come back... And prove that it was just a minor setback for him- and he aims for Geralt soul.

He's a Devil, You know. He can come back... And prove that it was just a minor setback for him- and he aims for Geralt soul.

...I know? And Im sure he isnt done with harvesting human souls, and Geralt winning the game is just a set back. Im just saying that I dont think he needs to be explained. People have been trying from the beginning of time to explain evil and cant. You cant kill it. As I said, evil is eternal. If they did another expansion with him as the antogonist after Geralts soul it would feel like treading old ground. I loved his character, its one of the best villian characters I can think of in gaming to be honest. But if we were to "kill" him (and how even) and over explain what he is it would diminish his character IMO
Besides, his gig is tricking people into signing over there souls and then collecting them after the game is up. Geralt knows his game. What fun is there in it for him then? And why would Geralt make a deal with an evil trickster?

---------- Updated at 08:59 AM ----------

By the way who wanted to slap Geralts face when O'Dimm asked him "do you really wish to know what I am?" And Geralt said yes. FFS dude. He could have taken him right then and there. Imagine what it truly means to know what evil is? Tsk tsk Geralt

Would assume the ending really pissed him off now.
I expect him to reappear in the next expansion, when geralt is truly in deep shite (similar to the boat scene, but probably even more severe), to help him out.

He is one of those characters that are - if well done - the Deus Ex Machina type, they can appear out of nowhere and bring up a solution. Imagine the "bad Ending" of the main storyline, what if he appeared just to offer Geralt that he could bring back Ciri?

Geralt isn't immune to Gaunter O'Dims offerings, i assume. And Master Mirror knows it well.

I expect him to reappear in the next expansion, when geralt is truly in deep shite (similar to the boat scene, but probably even more severe), to help him out.

He is one of those characters that are - if well done - the Deus Ex Machina type, they can appear out of nowhere and bring up a solution. Imagine the "bad Ending" of the main storyline, what if he appeared just to offer Geralt that he could bring back Ciri?

Geralt isn't immune to Gaunter O'Dims offerings, i assume. And Master Mirror knows it well.

I doubt we will see him again, and I think you misunderstood O'Dimm's nature a bit. I doubt he is really "pissed" at Geralt even if he defeats him, sends him back to his realm, and saves Olgierd's soul. Whatever kind of a demon O'Dimm is, it was very clear that he doesn't really cheat, values honesty, honors the terms of his contracts, always keeps his word, and can be fair and reasonable too if you serve him well (like when he helps and encourages you to take a break and have a romantic night with Shani at the wedding). He was never after Geralt's soul, but Olgierd's, who's contract terms stated that after fulfilling his wishes, O'Dimm would receive Olgierd's soul as payment. Olgierd refused to pay him back for his services, so he chose Geralt as his proxy to fulfill the terms of the contract, promising him whatever he wants as a reward after he delivers Olgierd's soul to him. He does fulfill this promise if you do just that.

Geralt's soul gets in danger only after he wagers it in his attempt to release both men from their contracts. In the end, Geralt beats him in his own game of wits fair and square, and while we can't understand what O'Dimm says to Geralt in his demon tongue after figuring out the riddle, we can see he is applauding Geralt for beating him, so it's probably something along the lines of "Well played, witcher. You win." He won't be back until someone else summons him back I guess, and he has no reason to be angry at Geralt, as there was no cheating or breaking of a contract involved.

If he reappears, I hope it'll be "Hearts of Stone 2"- of course Olgierd might not appear at all, but it should be at least continuation of HoS story*, and thus obligatory. It'd be awful if he just works in background, without any real sense of continuity.

*that is- unless Devs are planning to make all DLCs centered on him...

Concerning the threads initial question:

Well, if we assume that O'Dim really is Evil incarnate, not just one aspect of it that's specialized in people making contracts giving up their souls, then I would assume that O'Dim points Geralt in the right direction in the beginning of the base game, because he knows that inevitably many deaths will follow.
I think in the end of the first game, the King of the Wild Hunt even says that Geralt is one of Death's favorite tools, that wherever Geralt goes, catastrophe follows. And while Geralt tries to make the best of situations and tries to avoid unnecessary deaths, countless have fallen to his sword during his urgent travels.
So maybe O'Dim, Evil Incarnate, considers Geralt a valuable asset, which is why he points him toward Yennefer, in expectation of a plentiful reap of souls, and why he resorts to Geralt to deal with the whole Everec business.

But this guy is literally the Devil. He doesn't need Geralt to slaughter bandits- they'll come to him anyway- whether it's today, tomorrow or in hundred years, it doesn't matter. Olgierd is very good example here- we can see how he acts before he becomes immortal and after that. He isn't a bad guy, he becomes one, gradually losing all empathy. He is a new addition to Gaunter's collection- a soul, that otherwise wouldn't end in his hands. People killed by Geralt? Sure, some of them are not necessarily going straight to hell, but most of them would go on doing more evil things (bandits), thus causing more evil.

Another thing is how Gaunter acts towards Shani during wedding. He actually tells Geralt not to hurt her (!)- that's why I have so much doubts about his intentions- if he's evil incarnate, than everything he does will turn against people involved. Helping Geralt find Yen? It pushes action forward, but he would find her anyway, wouldn't he? He could simply sit in the tavern, waiting for her, without hunting Griffin for Nilfgaardian officer and she would come. That's why I think that Gaunter's appearance is either oversight or background for something more.

Maybe it's not just about the killing. Maybe it's about all the chaos Geralt's actions often cause which influence people's lives beyond living or dying. Take Jacques de Aldersberg for example. Without Geralt's interference, he likely would not have turned out as he has.

His behavior towards Shani might simply be to reassure Geralt of Gaunter's good intentions. After all, he IS a tricky one - not a good chance of convincing people to do the devil's job by straight out telling them to. I'm not sure when this scene appears though. If Gaunter actually addresses Vlod with this, then maybe it's to avoid him doing something stupid to Shani that leads to Geralt killing Vlod and failing his task; which would protect Olgierd from Gaunter for at least a little longer.

Top Bottom