Enhanced Edition installation problems and solutions

+
*Groans* It's quite hard to find anything from here to help in the installing.I got the same problem like half of the people here, I can't even start the darn Updater.I've downloaded it maybe six or eight times now and from different sites aswell, still nothing.I've tried restarting my computer, reinstalling the game and not patching to 1.3, I've even tried to run the updater after uninstalling Kaspersky plus disabled all virtual-drivers and Windows-security but still no use.Everything thing else works perfectly, just the updater gives this error:
Code:
>SetupNew\setup.cpp (138)PAPP:PVENDOR:PGUID:$(When run in Win95 compatibility mode) @Windows 95 Service Pack 2 (950) Non IE/Netscape 144.0(When run in normal Win XP Pro 64bit mode) @Windows Server2003 Service Pack 2 (3790) Non IE/Netscape 0.1
I've used LeechGet to download it and Firefoxes own download system, but can it really be that it's wrong size? How can that actualy be the fact if downloaded from different sites and from the "orginal" link like four times when there hasn't been much traffic even?So I'm running WinXP Pro 64bit (SP2) like I did tell, might help a bit or then not, unless really needed to post all system thingies.Oh well, I'll play on some Versus in the mean time.

Same problem here !?! :mad:Can anyone from team respond to this?I have the following error pop up,Feature Transfer ErrorFeature: NotCensoredComponent:File:Error: Catastrophic failureR.

hi guysi got the same error (Censored critical error) during installation.i tried removing comodo and avast still i got no luck on that :(I own The witcher French version 1.3Im running on Windows XP SP3

Guys,For those of you who are running Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 and having ANY issue mentioned in this topic please COMPLETELY UNINSTALL KIS for the time of upgrade and you will be successful.Do not try to disable it or add Witcher to trusted applications - will not work, only remove it and then try to apply the patch.Hope that helps

well the patch has been running 7 hr's with 3.5 b ( yes BILLION ) i/o writes and i have no idea when or if it will ever finish.i really hate blind patchers as i can't see if it is working on differant files or it's in some weird i/o loop grinding my drive down to dust... patch was DL from fileplant and zip came out clean.e8400 4g mem 500g sata xp 64

I had the same problem.1. Uninstall Comodo Firewall2. Disable Windows internal Firewall3. Restart Windows.It worked for me.

Guest 2077512

Is there any words from CDPR about "catastrophic error" thing. It's starting to be a "feature" ??????

in case of the "catastrophic error" i have tried each tip posted in the inet...uninstalling firewall (outpost),uninstalling virusscanner (gdata)cleaning system (win XP SP3) with jv16 powertoolsnew-installation of ms framework 3.0 (there's a installer inside the patch file - if there are troubles with framework on the system - check this out!)installing in safe mode.. aso...... seems the only way that helps ist hangup myself.. ;)btw - it's not neccesary to perform a new install of the witcher each time patch 1.4 install fails - copying only the (saved) witcher-system-folder back in the thewitcher-install-folder should avoid a clompletly (boring) witcher-new-installation.

ellahtiel said:
Guys,For those of you who are running Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 and having ANY issue mentioned in this topic please COMPLETELY UNINSTALL KIS for the time of upgrade and you will be successful.Do not try to disable it or add Witcher to trusted applications - will not work, only remove it and then try to apply the patch.Hope that helps
Tried that, no use. Still gives the error for me.

LicaonKter said:
LicaonKter said:
later again : I've retried a few more times this evening : each times the same result, the progress bar appears and doesn't reach past 10 seconds : Vista pops up and says setup.exe has cashed(tried with just the upgrade file and french language)
firewalls, antivir disabled?UAC on Quiet? ( use TweakUAC )as Administrator?
Yes : firewall and antivir killed before trying, as well as many other process that could be turned off on the occasion....BUT : THE WEIRDEST THING AS HAPPENED :After two other failures I gave it a last try yesterday night before going to bed (same conditions as before) :THE INSTALL WENT PAST THE FIRST MOMENTS (HURRAY)... so the first phase went on, up to the "this could take up to 2 hours message"Then, after about 30 mn, the crash message popped up, BUT IN THE BACKGROUND THE INSTALL SEEMS TO KEEP ON, actually it seemed to skip to installing the first mod....Then it crashed again, but then again it didn't close : it skipped again to the second mod, which crashed also a little later... AND THE INSTALL PROGRAM TOLD ME IT FINISHED SUCCESSFULLYto say the least I was quite puzzled and convinced it wouldn't work : BUT IT DID !!!I started the game (reeeaaallllly slow, but sounded like very fragmented HDD to my ears) and it worked AND I WAS IN 1.4.5.something !!EVEN MORE INCREDIBLE : AFTER LOADING AN OLD SAVED GAME : I HAVE THE NEW INVENTORY BUT ALL DROWNERS HAVE THE SAME COLOR !!!!!!!! AND I STILL HAVE THE OLD CARMEN (thank god for that).... AND I'VE LAUNCHED "SIDE EFFECTS" SUCCESSFULLYBecause it was very late, I didn't played long and for the moment I'm still convinced the install was incomplete and the game might crash if I play long enough (specially the new mods)BUT YOUR OPINION AND ADVICES WOULD REALLY BE APPRECIATED (maybe copying a few important files from somebody else's succesful install, specially the mod files, would make it safe to play)oh and BTW : I still have my copy of the previous install that I had backed up on another drive : I can still launch it and it says it's v1.3.0

Why should one uninstall a firewall?Registration went fine.If there is a firewall problem Projekt RED should explain what ports I should allow.I mailed support about this, lets hope someone reacts to this.R.

I think problem is that some firewalls do not only block or allow internet traffic, but also prevent malicious software to modify or delete some files. in that case, installing patch results as above. i agree that this is wrong, many games can be patched with firewall or antivir. After I installed patch1.4 I also installed firewall again, and it is fine for me.

I tried to install the patch fpr the last time now. In no way am I going to uninstall my antivirusprotection just to apply a game patch.If this is what we get for free after buying the original copy of the game. Keep it. :(

how the hell do you install the patches? i have followed the guide red gave the community, but it isnt working! so i downloaded both the upgrade and the language packs (both are the size they should be) and have attempted to install. then im prompted to register game which i do... again! then it says that the language pack associated with the upgrade cannot be found? WTF they are both in the witcher folder! please help! Thread title fixed.

Same here (I also posted here, http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=17216.0).Windows XP fully patched. Graphic drivers updated.Off course I have a FW & AV. And off course I'm not gonna uninstall those.I might disable them for some time (but that doesn't solve the problem either).I reinstalled the original game (no 1.3 patch). No go.Downloaded update from several sources. No go.I think Projekt RED has a big issue, hopefully they at least will try to solve it.I send a mail to the official support address. Wait and see.R.

UK version and US version are the same, so if you have both - move one of them. Make sure the language pack is in the same folder with the TWEE_Upgrade.exe. Run upgrade. May be your language pack dowload was incomplete.

My first attempt at patching I left it going for 4 hours. I thought it might actually be doing nothing so I killed it and am trying again now. It's been going for about 4 hours now, if it's still going when I go to bed in a few hours I'm giving up and waiting for a patch for the patch. This is on a Q6600 at 3GHz running XP x64.

Top Bottom