[EPILOGUE] Alvin's identity

+
GuyN039wah said:
Not specifically a different name, but the King of the Wild Hunt pretty much spells it out for you in Act I (you have to hit the right dialog path to get it):"Do you not believe: A child marked by Destiny will pass through the witcher's trials.... You will give me what you already have but do not expect. Does that sound familiar?... In the future you will surrender to me the soul of a dear one. It is written: A person both dear and distant, a traveler beyond time."
It's a cool prophesy, but if you choose to fight the KotWH for Jacques' soul, it won't come true.

mcvos said:
mcvos said:
Not specifically a different name, but the King of the Wild Hunt pretty much spells it out for you in Act I (you have to hit the right dialog path to get it):"Do you not believe: A child marked by Destiny will pass through the witcher's trials.... You will give me what you already have but do not expect. Does that sound familiar?... In the future you will surrender to me the soul of a dear one. It is written: A person both dear and distant, a traveler beyond time."
It's a cool prophesy, but if you choose to fight the KotWH for Jacques' soul, it won't come true.
The King of the Wild Hunt is a lying sack of sh*t. Not that lying annoys me or anything. :) He uses his impressive voice and appearance and his otherworldly status to act like he has all the answers, but he's a spin doctor, trying to manipulate Geralt for his own purposes. If everything were going to come to pass exactly as the KotWH said, he wouldn't have to try so hard to get Geralt to fall in line with his "prophesy."

Corylea said:
The King of the Wild Hunt is a lying sack of sh*t. Not that lying annoys me or anything. :) He uses his impressive voice and appearance and his otherworldly status to act like he has all the answers, but he's a spin doctor, trying to manipulate Geralt for his own purposes. If everything were going to come to pass exactly as the KotWH said, he wouldn't have to try so hard to get Geralt to fall in line with his "prophesy."
That actually makes him a very interesting character. It makes him human. Usually, otherworldly apparitions tend to have an annoying knach for always telling the truth in a cryptic way. A wraith that lies straight to your face is a welcome change.

mcvos said:
And yet, that raises another question: why didn't he look up Geralt much sooner? The moment Geralt arrived in Vizima, or even long before this story starts?
That's difficult because Geralt has a little case of death before this story starts.

3DMaster said:
3DMaster said:
And yet, that raises another question: why didn't he look up Geralt much sooner? The moment Geralt arrived in Vizima, or even long before this story starts?
That's difficult because Geralt has a little case of death before this story starts.
That's not a problem at all, considering he's clearly alive when he gets to Vizima and starts investigating Salamandra. Especially when he gets to Old Vizima or enters the swamp would be an excellent time for the Grandmaster to recruit Geralt.But even before Geralt died, the Grandmaster could have approached him.

mcvos said:
mcvos said:
mcvos said:
That's not a problem at all, considering he's clearly alive when he gets to Vizima and starts investigating Salamandra. Especially when he gets to Old Vizima or enters the swamp would be an excellent time for the Grandmaster to recruit Geralt.But even before Geralt died, the Grandmaster could have approached him.
Risky, very very risky. For 2 reasons. The first reason is because Geralt has access to Alvin at this point in time as a (mostly) helpless child. If Geralt gets suspicious of the adult Alvin he could kill him as a child and screw his planning over. The other problem could be a an issue of causing some kind of paradox if the older and younger Alvins come into contact with one another. DeAldersburg probably felt it was safest to leave the events up to Chapter 5 as unspoiled as possible to keep the timeline intact. He was nuts but not stupid.I don't think Salamandra knew exactly who he was as Alvin. There is no indication from the story that they felt he was anything other than an interesting test subject. Alvin for his part as DeAldersburg knew he had nothing to fear as long as the timeline was not mucked with so he stayed the Hell out it and let Geralt save him.Ironic when you think about it, really.

Also, right before you kill Jaques, let the King of The Wild Hunt take him and he'll make a remark alluding to his other name, did anyone catch it?

Andrias said:
Also, right before you kill Jaques, let the King of The Wild Hunt take him and he'll make a remark alluding to his other name, did anyone catch it?
Yes; the KotWH also foreshadowed this scene all the way back in Act I. And while the KotWH is a liar, even a liar may use the truth to suit his purposes.

Top Bottom