Euros called "eddies"?

+
I know Euros are used as worldwide currency since Cyberpunk 2020 but how come they are called Eddies?

I mean I never known anyone in the EU call them that.

Trivia: If you look at the older 1 and 2 Euro coins... look where Norway/Sweden/Finland is supposed to be... I wonder if they did this intentionally.

And here is a direct quote from the source book:

technically, current Euro full name is also EUROdolar... :)

Dollar itself was European currency.. and was used by several European nations in the past (it was one of gold currencies used)..so its normal EU would name it as such..

So basicly you are saying that CDPR gave the gamecurrency of their game a wrong name?

Basically the Cyberpunk universe "branches off" from our universe sometime around the 1980's. In the Cyberpunk universe the EEC created "Eurodollars" as their common currency and it went on to become the global standard.

In our universe, the EU created the Euro, which has yet to supplant the Dollar or the Yen.

technically, current Euro full name is also EUROdollar... :)

Great, next time I got to Berlin, I'll buy some currywurst and ask him how much eddies it costs (probably around 3).

And it's still not too late for Euros to replace dollars and yens. Given current event this could happen.

technically, current Euro full name is also EUROdolar... :)

I'm not sure that is correct. As far as I can search out, it was always just "Euro".

An "Eurodollar" in the real world is a term for a deposit of US Dollar currency held by a European bank. Similarly there are "Euroyen", "Eurorubles" and so forth.

Sure, but according to the lore, it was created by EEA in 1992, so it is Euros.
But they aren't... Technically they aren't officially Euros, they are 'European Currency Units' officially in the lore. 'Euros', like 'Eddies' is just another nickname for it..

Eurodollar - E.D. Which spoken aloud is 'eedee', which I'm sure is where Eddies became slang. Lore-wise, Euros is slang as well.

Ok first of all before the Euro in europe people used the german mark...the dollar was just used for US - Eu Deals and nothing more. The Euro its actually double the value of the mark which was retired just so can Euro step in. Now Mike wanted something from both worlds so the EURODOLLAR was made and they sre called eddies and i think its great. Btw the Euro was made later but the idea comes from the start of economic trade alliance in early 1970s between few europe countries.

Great, next time I got to Berlin, I'll buy some currywurst and ask him how much eddies it costs (probably around 3).

And it's still not too late for Euros to replace dollars and yens. Given current event this could happen.
Well using in game pricing it’ll be either 5 or 10 eddies

unless it’s really good - then it’s 750 Eddies:shrug:

Guest 4531988

I know Euros are used as worldwide currency since Cyberpunk 2020 but how come they are called Eddies?

I mean I never known anyone in the EU call them that.

Trivia: If you look at the older 1 and 2 Euro coins... look where Norway/Sweden/Finland is supposed to be... I wonder if they did this intentionally.

It's Simple. Eddy From Ed Edd N Eddy took over the world and named money after our great leader... Eddy......

There Eurodollars and over time I gather people started to call them eddies for short.

In a Johnny life flashback to 2020 the merc talking with Rogue called them Euros, then by 2077 everyone is calling them eddies. Its just a progression from Eurodollars/Euros to Eddies.

Just as in real life people have shortened ways of referring to currency. In the UK not many people walk around calling the currency 'Pounds Sterling' on a day to day basis.

There is also a slang term for cash in the UK 'readies' and the idea for eddies may come from this i.e. 'ready eddies'.

Last edited:
Top Bottom