First impressions of the hotfix

+
Giomancer;n9091050 said:
So tell me what Dagon is supposed to do? And people that played him? Weather wasn't just some sideshow for some decks, it was an important part of manipulating the board.

The devs will adjust the game. Until then some stuff will be weaker than it used to be. I was never a fan of monsters having weather built into their cards.

Giomancer;n9091240 said:
By "brazen it out" do you mean "not respond to at all"? I'm not certain what was so hard about responding to weather, even without direct counters. Staggering odd/even Power in a row against rain or fog, boosting against frost..

Honestly, with the way everyone complains I should have had a 100% win record. And with all the claims of weather spam, you do realize with every weather card in my hand I have less options to do anything else? What good is damaging the highest unit on a row by 2 if that stupid Ambassador keeps giving them my plans? Or if reinforced ballistae shoot down everything? Or Queensguard spawn more of themselves?

So many methods of fighting through/ignoring weather, but apparently complaining was the way to go.

You could tech 4 anti weather unit cards and still get out spammed by weather....and not just by monsters either. Before the patch SK would do that to me pretty regularly. I would play every single anti weather card in my deck and they would still have multiple left to hit me with before dropping axe men. Weather simply made the game worse. I'm not saying that with ulterior motives. I had multiple weather decks that I could play if I wanted to. But I still recognize that version of weather to be bad for the game.

Giomancer;n9091050 said:
So tell me what Dagon is supposed to do? And people that played him? Weather wasn't just some sideshow for some decks, it was an important part of manipulating the board.

Well. Been playing Dagon Swarm Deck yesterday. Won like 80% of them. Yes the Dagon now are weaker than before but the thing is that not a Single player had clearing sky units! Not a single one. They just tank it. So it's like 16 - 18 value in round 1 + 6 str foglets. Or you can use Rain against NR. All their units are lined up nicely. So maybe dedicated Weather Decks will see some play down the road after all. Im sure Old Speartip + Caranthir combo will be popular.

All i see is Consume and Reveal. Both of which are very easy to beat with a few specific cards. My favorite combo so far is Caretaker > Cynthia in round 3 to reveal a juicy spotter...mmm... works every time.

Also faced one Axemen deck but they not as OP as before the patch.

Sorry Giomancer , so much off-topic ( post ) thoughts.

Last edited:
UsrnameTaken;n9094930 said:
It would be best, if Villentretetnmerth only works on enemies units. It annoys the fuck out of me just to beat yourself -.- I mean succubus also takes the strongest monster. completely unbalanced..

In his current state I think the timer is the main problem. Either remove the timer or make it shorter (maybe 1 turn).

UsrnameTaken;n9094700 said:
I beg your pardon.. I beat NG with two cards down 8)

Your opponent just should have timed out, discard one of his cards, borkh would kill you 28 points and whatever card he would have kept would have won him the game.

Borkh is kinda mediocre now. A worsened schirru. I only see him being barey viable on monsters swarm, but even so, probably there are better options than him.

UsrnameTaken;n9095950 said:
this should be f-ing illegal -.- how many times I played against rage quitters who just left and I was forced to sit it through the end!!!!!!!!!!!!
It should be count as a PASS, instead of just discarding cards.

Seconded.

Reaching the timer end on purpose to avoid playing cards or passing equals to cheating.

They should make it an automatic pass, pure and simple.

It's not "cheating" IMO ... it's fair play within the rules of the game. I've never done it personally, but I don't begrudge others who let the time tick for strategic reasons. Now if you're slow playing just in the hopes that your opponent will forfeit ... that is dirty pool.

UsrnameTaken;n9095950 said:
this should be f-ing illegal -.- how many times I played against rage quitters who just left and I was forced to sit it through the end!!!!!!!!!!!!
It should be count as a PASS, instead of just discarding cards.

Its a tactic. A good one, sometimes that smart players do to win games. Lucky for you, your opponent wasnt one it seems.

Dont blame the player, blame the game.

Giomancer;n9091050 said:

I'm not a big monsters fan but I decided to try Dagon after patch and i love it, even though weather isn't as powerful there are less counters against it. Weather deck is far from dead imo, i didn't play much ranked with it but i managed to take it to 3.5k which is pretty decent.

Rawls;n9096090 said:
It's not "cheating" IMO ... it's fair play within the rules of the game. I've never done it personally, but I don't begrudge others who let the time tick for strategic reasons. Now if you're slow playing just in the hopes that your opponent will forfeit ... that is dirty pool.

I remember watching the Gwent Challenger streaming.

Have you ever wondered what kind of "image" the game would have given to the world if a player used that "fair play" to win a deciding match?

I play NR exclusively. The adjustments haven't bothered me. I did abandon machines, but there are plenty of other great things going on in the deck. Overall, I find the decks to be much more balanced. I think the changes to the ranking system are good too. It was a good patch, IMO.

The question is how do we patch the players? It takes a day or two, but someone finds the exact deck build that isn't on balance. Then, what seems like about 60% of the players just go ahead and copy that deck.

I've been on open beta since it was available on the PS4 and I've run across just a couple of people playing a similar deck to mine. But never anything exactly like it and the variations it's been through. It's not a juggernaut by any means, but I'm proud of it and I like playing with it because I came up with it myself. And when I get the right draw it works really well and I can beat even these copy-cat OP deck configurations.

It kind of boggles my mind that such a high percentage of our players go straight for the deck that exploits the current patch version rather than trying to win with something more original, personal, or heck just cool. It would be a lot more fun a game if I wasn't playing against the same deck 2 out of every 3 games.

Checco515;n9096490 said:
I remember watching the Gwent Challenger streaming.

Have you ever wondered what kind of "image" the game would have given to the world if a player used that "fair play" to win a deciding match?

How would this image be bad? The player decides to let himself discard a random card for strategic purposes, so that he can play around something his opponent did. I can't see how this isn't fair play, or why the hell it would give off a bad impression. If you let the timer run out, you are forced to discard a random card. It's a very fair, and pretty harsh punishment if you ask me. Why would it look bad? I'll admit I haven't ever thought of doing this, but I definitely think it's a pretty ingenious way of disrupting an opponent's move, and something I'll keep in mind going forward.

Skryba86;n9098700 said:
How would this image be bad? The player decides to let himself discard a random card for strategic purposes, so that he can play around something his opponent did. I can't see how this isn't fair play, or why the hell it would give off a bad impression. If you let the timer run out, you are forced to discard a random card. It's a very fair, and pretty harsh punishment if you ask me. Why would it look bad? I'll admit I haven't ever thought of doing this, but I definitely think it's a pretty ingenious way of disrupting an opponent's move, and something I'll keep in mind going forward.

Is it intentionally thought as a viable strategy, core part of Gwent's strategic choices in a turn?
Because in that case there would be no need to make the timer run out, you'd press the "just discard a random card" button.

I'd like to hear the devs' opinion on that.

UsrnameTaken;n9083040 said:
WHY the F you hate on Villentretenmerth so much? I had barely any use for this card, for two reasons. ONE it needs 3 damn turns to unleash its effect and TWO it's effect is done when the opponet finishes his round, so he can do plenty stuff like weakening his own units to save the ass or buff MY units to scorch it! And because he only destroys a unit once now, it would only effect me! Not to mention Dimeritium shackles, so Villentretenmerth is actually a worse valiable option than scorch and this is a complete bummer -_- Also, since 3 rounds are needed, it barely makes any sense to hold this card for the last round, especially because most players just hold so deer that one f-ing card which spams 3 crowns or 3 witchers or gold cards, you name it. So to actually make ANY use of it, I would need to win round 1 and be in round 2. So this being said, I think they, the devs made a complete joke of one of my favourite book characters. And because it is not valiable to either have Myrgtabrakke nor Villentretenmerth in my deck, I have no fun playing Gwent anymore, so might stop it immediately, if the devs wont fix him in the near future.

Villentretenmerth was my favourite card for the fun factor, I never thought it was broken or overpowered, because you're not wrong people usually just passed when they saw it come down as usually the low value of 4 points would leave you a card behind in card advantage or lock it, it felt so rewarding to kill like 5 units with it but it required a lot and a lot of setup generally for this to happen. It was like one of the most strategic pieces on the board and now it's just a shadow of what it was. That and Myrgtabrakke didn't look great on first appearance but it was good at setting up the 5 unit kill, I didn't have the card but occasionally people bested me with that combo, and I just thought damn that was a good play made by them, I didn't think anything negative about it, just all round fun card, if anything I hope they revert the change of that single card back. I generally Like what they did with most of the cards though. Calveit, I have some hesitation about but in general yeah seemed fine.

Checco515;n9100110 said:
Is it intentionally thought as a viable strategy, core part of Gwent's strategic choices in a turn?
Because in that case there would be no need to make the timer run out, you'd press the "just discard a random card" button.

I'd like to hear the devs' opinion on that.

Just because it may have not been thought of as a mechanic, that doesn't make it any less viable or any less fair. Lots of stuff isn't created as a feature in games, and then becomes one by discovery of the players.

That isn't what you should be asking. What you should be asking is: "why do I feel this is unfair? Did he not lose enough, by discarding a random card? Did he do something I can't do myself? Is there anything cheap or broken about discarding a card to skip a turn?". And no, there isn't.

Skryba86;n9102270 said:
Just because it may have not been thought of as a mechanic, that doesn't make it any less viable or any less fair. Lots of stuff isn't created as a feature in games, and then becomes one by discovery of the players.

That isn't what you should be asking. What you should be asking is: "why do I feel this is unfair? Did he not lose enough, by discarding a random card? Did he do something I can't do myself? Is there anything cheap or broken about discarding a card to skip a turn?". And no, there isn't.

Nay.

Something is NOT a mechanic only because it can happen, otherwise ranked loss avoidance upon disconnection would have been called that in Closed Beta.

You seem to confuse the word "game mechanic" with the words "exploit" or "abuse".

Checco515;n9102840 said:
Nay.

Something is NOT a mechanic only because it can happen, otherwise ranked loss avoidance upon disconnection would have been called that in Closed Beta.

You seem to confuse the word "game mechanic" with the words "exploit" or "abuse".

This is not an exploit, man. Wth? XD if you let the timer run out, you are forced to discard a random card instead of playing. This was purposefully built into the game. It is a game mechanic!

If you do it on purpose or not, is entirely up to you. I still have no idea why this bothers you so much, but I guess I'll just stop trying to argue.

Skryba86;n9102900 said:
This is not an exploit, man. Wth? XD if you let the timer run out, you are forced to discard a random card instead of playing. This was purposefully built into the game. It is a game mechanic!

If you do it on purpose or not, is entirely up to you. I still have no idea why this bothers you so much, but I guess I'll just stop trying to argue.

I'll stop arguing, too, this is getting nowhere.

Giomancer;n9091240 said:
By "brazen it out" do you mean "not respond to at all"? I'm not certain what was so hard about responding to weather, even without direct counters. Staggering odd/even Power in a row against rain or fog, boosting against frost..

So many methods of fighting through/ignoring weather, but apparently complaining was the way to go.

Yes, pretty much! (ignore it and take a small hit or boost the cards). Before (the hotfix) you needed to make sure you had several weather counter cards or you were done for; now you can brazen it out, so the cards are more optional.

I think the complaints due to the spam were valid - before this fix, weather hurt and you had to do something about it. So you'd get players who drop a few single rank weathers to drain your counter cards and then hit you with drought or ragnarok - round over.

Top Bottom