[FIX] Game crashing when loading saves/ Corrupt save issue

+
[FIX] Game crashing when loading saves/ Corrupt save issue

Guys,

I have suffered with the corrupt save bug like many others on this board so I share your pain and desperation. I created an account here to notify others that there has been a workaround(that actually works!) discovered by a user on reddit. This information made it's way to the PS4 Tech Support forum under the "PS4 Error ce-34878-0" thread which is their version of the issue where they cant load saves without it crashing, they just get a nice little error code before it crashes vs our crashing straight to the dashboard. As far as I know this is the only real fix until the real fix is patched in.

The fix is rather simple IF you have at least one working save you can still load, which I can vouch for as it worked for me last night and has already worked for a large group of the PS4 users in that thread:

Thanks to reddit user DerK4ter I was able to solve this problem. The bugged quest is The Mystery of the Byways Murders, at least for me. Try to solve this quest, afterwards you should be able to fast travel again. It makes sense as some other user in here wrote it worked when doing all the quests in Velen - well, this is one of them and it solves the problem immediately. Please thank DerK4ter on reddit if it works for you as well.

Ok guys, I've just tested this, as you are probably aware, I had the problem with loading any save file except for one. I once started the quest The Murders in Byways by accident, without talking to the person that gives the contract. There was a small glitch there, quest advanced and Geralt told the peasants that it's safe even though ghouls were still around. I then moved on as the monster was too strong for me to kill. Later on I was in Novigrad and I was attacked by some thugs hired by a preacher I humiliated before, I killed them and shortly after my game crashed. It happened each time I wanted to load 9 of my 10 saves. One save was working. It was outside of Novigrad (don't know if it matters) and I could play the game fine up until I decided to save. Then I had the crash again, even after deleting all of the files except for the working one.

I read what eeegamer posted about a possible solution and I tried it (credits to DerK4ter also). So what I did is: I finished The Murders in Byways quest. Killed the monster, went back to talk to peasants, fast traveled to report the quest to the contract giver, saved my game. Tried to load the save I have just made. WORKED. Skeptical about it, I've made another save file and loaded it. WORKED. To test it further, I loaded the Checkpoint save that the game made automatically (they crashed before too) and.., WORKED. As a final test I loaded the Auto Save right after I fast traveled to the contract giver (Oredon village). WORKED.

So to sum up, as of now, the saves worked thanks to finishing the mission The Murders in Byways ALL of the saves I made after the mission and all Auto saves and checkpoint saves WORKED. My manual saves WORKED. I can play again normally. Thanks to eeegamer and DerK4ter again. For now my game is back to normal. I hope I'm not being overly happy too soon. I'll update on my progress.

I lost about 5 hours loading up my working save but after I knew this was fixed that didn't matter, I happily replayed all the quests, took the boat to Skellige(which would crash on me during the cut-scene before beating that quest) and haven't had a single issue since beating that bastard vampire and completing that quest.

Take a look at the PS4 thread if you want further proof:
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/38349-PS4-Error-ce-34878-0/page16

Hope this helps some of you!

Paul

---------- Updated at 07:14 PM ----------

Bumping this up so more people can see it, maybe one of the mods can sticky it? Getting PM's from people confirming this has been working :)

il drop a post in too to keep bumping it up. as you will have seen i posted links to this thread in other threads too just to try get the info out there

This sounds quite a bit like my problem. I got my ass handed to me by the monster in this quest, though. I stumbled across it at level 13. I did manage to kill all the beasts outsides, so I guess I'll just try until I succeed. I've been stuck for a couple days and really want to play!

Yeah sadly I dont have a single working save to load off =( thanks for the tip though

well i just discovered that one of my saves that wasnt working before is seeming to actually load now!! so now that i can get in im gonna need to give this tip a bash

well i just discovered that one of my saves that wasnt working before is seeming to actually load now!! so now that i can get in im gonna need to give this tip a bash

I hate you, mainly because I wish I had that same problem. Enjoy it man!

This sounds quite a bit like my problem. I got my ass handed to me by the monster in this quest, though. I stumbled across it at level 13. I did manage to kill all the beasts outsides, so I guess I'll just try until I succeed. I've been stuck for a couple days and really want to play!

Yep same with me, I stumbled onto this quest around level 13, dropped the difficulty down to easy and was able to kill all the ghouls but I gave up trying to kill the vampire after an hour of frustration. Shortly after that I went to Novigrad and started doing story quests again and that's when I noticed the save bug of doom etc. After discovering the fix yesterday I was able to do some other quests without dying to gain some XP and got up to level 15. I also was able to find vampire oil which helped and although it took a few tries, I finally killed him. I knew I was on the right path because I made a save right before walking into the ekimora's den and after dying it would load that save fine.

Best tip I have for beating him while at a lower level is to spam the Quen and learn his patterns so you can get in and out without taking much damage while slashing him from the side or back. Without Quen I was getting my butt kicked as one hit would take out nearly 50% of my health. Others have suggested Igni but unless you have specialized that spell it probably wont be powerful enough to do much damage before you get killed. Also it definitely helps to have a really good silver sword with a nice critical damage buff. :p

Last edited:
Sadly, I was at level 15 before I noticed that I wouldn't be able to open any saves. I had the vampire oil, but don't remember where I got it. Oh well, at least I have a plan of action. Thanks for the tips!

well after planning it out i managed to kill that vamp first try so fingers crossed everything keeps working. rhino re check your saves again buddy cos the one that loaded for me today refused to load previously. i used that good old power of heart to get me through. that and quen but no vamp oil lol haha

---------- Updated at 08:43 PM ----------

well i killed the vamp and made a different manual save, and so far exiting and reloading is working well. hopefully it remains now the vamps dead

Last edited:
Unfortunately no, my "corrupt" saves were still not loading but once I knew the issue was fixed I felt a lot better about redoing some of the quests etc. Granted I only lost 5-6 hours or so and I know some people lost a lot more but if you can get one save to load and finish that quest it's a lot better then starting a new game...

Granted I only lost 5-6 hours or so and I know some people lost a lot more but if you can get one save to load and finish that quest it's a lot better then starting a new game...

Agreed! I have one save left to try, and it's right before the battle with the vamp. Hopefully it works.

Agreed! I have one save left to try, and it's right before the battle with the vamp. Hopefully it works.

since completing the battle with the vamp successfully i have made several seperate manual saves so i have plenty of backups just in case lol but each death and reload has worked so all seems good so far. i am much happier with losing 4 hours than losing 44 hours.

---------- Updated at 03:48 AM ----------

just another comment to make sure this stays up there, as after managing to get a file to load i followed the info in this thread and have actually got back to playing the game. i have been so happy getting to play again

since completing the battle with the vamp successfully i have made several seperate manual saves so i have plenty of backups just in case lol but each death and reload has worked so all seems good so far. i am much happier with losing 4 hours than losing 44 hours.

---------- Updated at 03:48 AM ----------

just another comment to make sure this stays up there, as after managing to get a file to load i followed the info in this thread and have actually got back to playing the game. i have been so happy getting to play again

Glad to hear you've managed to get back to playing... thanks again for letting me know about the workaround :)

Still couldn't kill that damn vamp. I did find that I am able to save progress in the game, as long as I have The Murders in the Byways quest active when I do it. I just can't kill that damn monster with my current sword and amour. However, I didn't seem to be getting any experience points for the quests I'd already played through, so I finally gave up in frustration. It would be really helpful for me to not suck at playing games right now so I could kill this jerk and carry on.

Still couldn't kill that damn vamp. I did find that I am able to save progress in the game, as long as I have The Murders in the Byways quest active when I do it. I just can't kill that damn monster with my current sword and amour. However, I didn't seem to be getting any experience points for the quests I'd already played through, so I finally gave up in frustration. It would be really helpful for me to not suck at playing games right now so I could kill this jerk and carry on.

the quen sign, along with swallow potion are your friends. upgrade your quen to at least level 1so it does the explosion when it breaks and you shouldnt have too much difficulty mate, thats what i done

I can confirm, completing this mission fixed the save corruption for me as well. Thank you so much for posting it and to the person who found it. Can finally play this game again.

EDIT: I also had a hard time beating him as I was under leveled. What I did was to do one or two attacks on him and then run back behind the ladder you came down on. Healed up and repeated it. He doesn't come behind the ladder so you are safe there.

Last edited:
from what i have heard so far it looks like the patch itself hasnt fixed the save bug of doom for people unfortunately so this is still the only known way around it if you have a loadable save. patch hasnt hit here in the uk yet but i know some folks in the US have got it already

Top Bottom