Gained 29 levels overnight without playing

+
Official clarification --

After a bit more from the team, I just wanted to make sure people realize the devs are still looking for ways to fix this. The issue is very complex, but the fight is ongoing! Please bake many pies of patience. If a fix is found, it probably won't be found "tomorrow".

[Unofficial note -- Has anyone any results to share about the console fix in the meantime?]

I have this bug too... very annoying!
I'm on PS4 though, any chance to use the workaround?
Damn, I really want to play BAW with my witcher... :(

I have this bug too... very annoying!
I'm on PS4 though, any chance to use the workaround?
Damn, I really want to play BAW with my witcher... :(

Not for consoles, I'm afraid. Fingers crossed that they can eventually find a solid fix. :cry:

Shadowsake's method worked for me. The trick is that Geralt does not gain new levels right away but has overwhelming amoung of XP "hovering". As soon as Geralt gains at least 1 XP, these "hovering" points transform into levels hence creating this jump. So, I rolled back to 1.21, loaded me last save, resaved it immediately and then updated back (how it sounds, huh?) to 1.22. When I loaded my resaved save, there were no "hovering" XP. I gained some points by killing monsters and the jump didn't occur.
However, as for me, rolling back procedure is not quite obvious. If someone has difficulties figuring out how to roll back (on GOG Galaxy), just pick install updates manually option in "settings" section on the game's page in your Galaxy client.
As for console players the only simple thing I can suggest is to accept this jump but allocate new ability points, for instance, only one or two per each major quest. Or figure some other way to restrain Geralt's power. It's kinda perverted but I see no other universal yet simple way to keep the challenge. Besides, your unique Geralt is rather a combination of your story/moral decisions then "combat numbers".

Level scalling - Geralt's level bug

Hello. After a couple of months I came back to Witcher 3 to play BaW and to check out the enemy upscalling option. I installed patch 1.21 and patch 1.22. As soon as I turned the upscalling option on , a couple of goblins in skellige became level 72 and the font was "green" but as soon as I killed one of them , the "72" greyed out , like they were too low level for me. After the fight I went to my inventory to see that Geralt suddenly jumped from level 42 ( which I ended HoS with) to level 71! Is this how the upscalling works or is it some kind of a bug? If so , how to prevent it? I want to use the upscalling option because the game is way too easy, even on DM.

EDIT : THIS HAPPENS regardless if I switch the level scalling on or off. I noticed that I have 67000/2000 XP and the second I kill one enemy I level up from 41 to 70~ . How can I fix this?

Last edited:
had similar issue, -minus lots of xp (like -200000/2000)... solved by loading a different savegame
:rage:i have not used enemy scaling feature

my guess ... invalid lvl / xp, a value that could be achieved only by cheating or using xp altering mods. I guess b&w (or update 1.2.X) expects geralt to be in a certain range of level 1-39 for example ... but its guessing, as i used the always full xp mod and learned my lesson.

Nope , I did not use any mods whatsoever. I farmed a bit to get to 42, yeah but it was all legit...

EDIT : I just reloaded previous game save. It can be closed.

Last edited:
Merged in another discussion.

@Wilmar_Fraylan

Good news! That brings more hope for GOG / Galaxy users! (Now...if only Steam had such a convenient system for managing the version of your game. Nudges Steam in the ribs.)

Shadowsake's method worked for me. The trick is that Geralt does not gain new levels right away but has overwhelming amoung of XP "hovering". As soon as Geralt gains at least 1 XP, these "hovering" points transform into levels hence creating this jump. So, I rolled back to 1.21, loaded me last save, resaved it immediately and then updated back (how it sounds, huh?) to 1.22. When I loaded my resaved save, there were no "hovering" XP. I gained some points by killing monsters and the jump didn't occur.
However, as for me, rolling back procedure is not quite obvious. If someone has difficulties figuring out how to roll back (on GOG Galaxy), just pick install updates manually option in "settings" section on the game's page in your Galaxy client.
As for console players the only simple thing I can suggest is to accept this jump but allocate new ability points, for instance, only one or two per each major quest. Or figure some other way to restrain Geralt's power. It's kinda perverted but I see no other universal yet simple way to keep the challenge. Besides, your unique Geralt is rather a combination of your story/moral decisions then "combat numbers".
for me it worked too.

So I'm [fed] up ... because I'm on Steam. ...Wonderful. BTW, the console commands work (for the most part), but its tedious...

Last edited by a moderator:
@ThornTwist

Try what @rizuhbull has suggested here.

These steps should only need to be taken once. Once the initial problem is sorted out, it should not occur again for that playthrough. It may cost you a few odd pieces of gear, but you should still be able to struggle on.

@ThornTwist

Try what @rizuhbull has suggested here.

These steps should only need to be taken once. Once the initial problem is sorted out, it should not occur again for that playthrough. It may cost you a few odd pieces of gear, but you should still be able to struggle on.

Thanks for trying to help me out, I appreciate it. But when I was talking about the console commands working I talking exactly about this fix.

So I have trigger this damn bug,at the end of Heart of Stone (patch 1.12 I think..) I was level 39 with 1387/2000 exp and I was playing since day one with the gog version (no Galaxy Client installed),but in the meantime I have change Pc so I have try to use the Galacy Client because I have bought the packed version of Blood and Wine and so I have direct install the last version+all exp and when I have load my old saves I have 60000+/2000 xp,and after kill one monster..LEVEL 70!!I think thats incredible that after 2 month this SERIOUS bug isn't fixed,maybe at Cd Project Red are thinking of Cyberpunk 2077 and just ignore it the witcher players..Thanks!! :cry:
I have found this ''official response'' to Reddit :
''Hi, During the post-release support process of The Witcher 3 we introduced changes to the leveling system, and if someone progressed on the same playthrough since the earliest patches this could result in negative XP issues for which a fix was released in 1.22.

Additionally, fixes were deployed in the past for Potion of Clearance, and after another set of changes exp gains in 1.22 could result.
Your issue may be related to that.
At the same time the issue won't ever occur again for new playthroughs as it results from layers of legacy data stored in saves. In current content this is not reproducible, and further changes produced with legacy variables in the mix could create issues in the current content. Another interference with experience system would not be safe at this point and we cannot risk it. I'm very sorry.
If you start a new game the issues should not occur again.

Regards, Kuba''
So for the loyal player playing since day one all the old saves with the 1.22 are @#@#@#@#!Please clearly this question because I have many saves for the different quest-line of the game (Triss-Yennefer-all the different ending ecc..) and if for this bug I can't use this saves..Now I'm rollback with Galacy Client to 1.21 for look if the solution load and save, repatch work but I guess what happen to all my old saves..

@NateJunior

Have a read on this thread. The issue is known, but the fix may not be possible because it could break other parts of the game. The issue will not affect new games, only games begun a while ago.

Use the workarounds in this thread to continue with your present character. Loss should be minimal or nothing at all.

I have read all this thread I have only ask if I all my old saves are broken for this bug since I'm playing with the same pg from day-one ,now I'm at 70% of download so I will try soon..and WHY this fix isn't in the first page highlighted ?!

---------- Updated at 12:59 AM ----------

Have a read on this thread. The issue is known, but the fix may not be possible because it could break other parts of the game. The issue will not affect new games, only games begun a while ago.
So I think all console players are @#@#@#..ahhh,no comment :shock:
So no fix and one XBOX player with this bug MUST start a new playtrought..:like: I think even Bethesda haven't combined one mess like this..Good Luck

---------- Updated at 10:45 AM ----------

I confirm for pc players the solution to rollback to 1.21,then make a save,then upgrade to 1.22 and load the 1.21 saves,this fix the bug..but I'm ''old'' player playing with this beatiful game since day-one and my saves folder is 2,5 GB big :laughing: and I have many saves: ALL the saves from 1.07 to 1.02 are without the bug,SOME saves with the 1.10,the Heart of Stone save,are without the bug and all the other from 1.10 to 1.12 are bugged,so I have identify the save when this bug starting and the strange thing is that a previous save (same level 39 and same quest of HoS,same 1.10 update) is bug free..so I have upload the two saves,the save when this bug start and the previous without the bug,maybe it's useful for someone at CdProjectRed..Load this saves with the 1.22 for see the bug.
The save is here : http://www20.zippyshare.com/v/8qNB8qYv/file.html
Thanks to all forum and very-very mutch thanks to Shadowsake for the solution!?!You have saved my bugged Geralt!

Last edited:
Thanks for correct my bad english,I'im italian :wisegirl:,but for me it should be highlighted in the first page,I have lost one hour of googling for find this fix
:dizzy:,but you are the Moderator..Even the support center have reply with the same solution...At the end I have lost ''only'' half of saves from Heart of Stone..but I'm on pc and thanks to GOG Galaxy..
Saluti

Top Bottom