Game restarting my computer

+
Game restarting my computer

I bought the retail version of The Witcher EE and every time the game loads up my computer restarts (It restarts after I try to get the rusty sword).

I found out last night if I ran the game in "Windowed mode" it works without a problem on a 1024 x 768 resolution and with low settings. ;D

Hi all,I received the enchanced edition of the witcher two days ago. Installation went fine and the first night of game play was great. I attempted to play last night and today and the game causes my computer to reboot almost constantly. This computer just came back from the shop with a fresh install of windows XP with service pack 3. I have read all the troubleshooting faqs and nothing I have tried works including a clean boot which has always fixed these problems in the past. I updated all my drivers before I installed the game. I have an AMD Athlon 64 processor, 3000+, Nvidia 9800 GTX with 512 mb of ram, Direct X 9.0C, memory of 2560 mb of ram, page file of 4039 mb available, soundblaster live audigy 2 zs with sound acceleration set to none. I can send somebody the dxdiag report if they would like. I cannot get pc wizard to run on my computer and when I click on the part where it says try the older file, it is not in English so I don't know where to go from there so I cannot get a report from there. I have played these games for years and this is the first one that I cannot get to run. Last one I tried was oblivion and it ran fine and I had a much worse video card. Any suggestions anyone?Thanks for any help.

Well, if you really have an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ CPU that slows down the rest of your system. Quite a weak CPU but that should not be the problem ;)Do other games NOW crash as well? You said you tried Oblivion with your older system. Did you try other games with this system the last days? Propably something is broken. A system reboot while starting an application mostly (NOT always) indicates broken RAM. Search the Internet for "memtest86+" if you want to test this. Since the tests afford quite a lot of time I would only do that if none else here has a better idea and if other games crash as well.

Well, I seemed to have solved the restarting of the computer with a fresh install of the game and no, no other games crash nor does the system crash. Now the game just freezes up continuously with static coming from the speakers. I have tried playing without sound to no avail - still freezes. I am going to try starting a new game and see if that makes any difference. I also cannot load any auto saved games; then the game crashes to the desk top.Thanks

lsperzel said:
Well, I seemed to have solved the restarting of the computer with a fresh install of the game and no, no other games crash nor does the system crash. Now the game just freezes up continuously with static coming from the speakers. I have tried playing without sound to no avail - still freezes. I am going to try starting a new game and see if that makes any difference. I also cannot load any auto saved games; then the game crashes to the desk top.
do try to download the older PCWizard ( there is a label marked EN on the left side of the screen so you will get the site in English )as i've uploaded it there since is no longer available on the main sitedo attach the file ERRLOG.TXT from The Witcher/System folder if one existed

liacon_kter,I got the older version of PC Wizard to run and attached the file. I played through the beginning of a new game to the point where Triss needs a potion with no freeze ups last night. There was no errlog.txt in the witcher/system folder. I do have EAX turned off and a clean boot when I play. Depth of field is also off. McFlow said my CPU was weak. Any suggestions on a new one?Edited to add another question: When the game freezes, does anyone have any suggestions on a way to get out of it besides a hard reboot? Alt-Ctrl-Del does not work nor does Alt-Tab.Edited to add that I got to the funeral and then to the loading screen for the the outskirts to Vizima and the game refuses to load. I have tried twice. I am not running a demo game. Never tried the demo. I do not have any no cd cracks on my computer and never have had. I saw something else on the 20 pages I read through about opening the game and then deleting the save but I didn't really understand what it was saying or even if it actually applied. I am currently stuck there . Hoping for a response. Thanks.

lsperzel said:
Edited to add that I got to the funeral and then to the loading screen for the the outskirts to Vizima and the game refuses to load. I have tried twice. I am not running a demo game. Never tried the demo. I do not have any no cd cracks on my computer and never have had. I saw something else on the 20 pages I read through about opening the game and then deleting the save but I didn't really understand what it was saying or even if it actually applied. I am currently stuck there .
hit ESC there, or try to load the autosaved gameyour system is way unbalanced, basically that powerful video card is used at 25%, because the processor is not fast enough to provide the video card with the needed data to processthe problem is now that the processor socket is 3 generations older that the current one, thus finding a compatible processor will be really hard, maybe if someone sells you onethe fastest processors on socket 939 where Athlon64 X2 4600+ / 4400+ / 4200+, good luck finding onei had to pay more on a X2 4200+ for socket 939 last year from a guy, than on a better one for socket AM2 from the storethe new hotfix is here: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=21009.0the newer DirectX is from November 2008: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=886acb56-c91a-4a8e-8bb8-9f20f1244a8e&DisplayLang=enthe latest stable nVidia video driver for you is 181.20i guess ( but i'm not sure, is that an Audigy LS/SE/Value?) the latest Creative sound driverfor you is: http://support.creative.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?catID=1&CatName=Sound+Blaster&subCatID=874&subCatName=PC+-+Internal&prodID=14189&prodName=Audigy+Value

hi im playing the witcher on windows vista 32and at random times in the game my computer restarts.the screen goes black and sais "power saveing mode" and then it restarts like normaldoes anybody know how to fix ths?

Hi jamesfarrow :)Please try reading the article for getting tech help on the forum and attach the PCWizard report as instructed. Also, since what you're experiencing here is a crash, please have a look in your The Witcher\System folder and attach the ERRLOG.TXT if there is one.Additionally, try going into Event Viewer to see if you can glean any further information. I apologise in advance if these instructions are too basic, but I'm not sure how familiar you might be with the admin tools of Windows. After the game has crashed, go in through Event Viewer (click on the Vista Start button > in 'Start Search' box type event viewer > select the entry for Event Viewer or simply hit Enter) and see if there's an error entry that matches the date/time of the last crash and post the contents of the entry here. We might be able to come up with a clue from that :)edit: when you say the crash happens randomly, I take it that means there's no pattern to the crashes at all? For example, it's not like the game is always crashing when you use a Place of Power, or when autosaving, or when transitioning between certain areas? Also, what programs (if any) do you have running in the background when running the game?

here is my PCwizardOperating System: Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium Home Edition 6.00.6001 Service Pack 1Report Date: Monday 19 January 2009 at 22:59------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------>> Mainboard : Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H> Chipset : AMD 780> Processor : AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ @ 2200 MHz> Physical Memory : 8192 MB (4 x 2048 DDR2-SDRAM )> Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 8600GS> Hard Disk : AMD (1000 GB)> DVD-Rom Drive : HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4082B ATA Device> DVD-Rom Drive : JYBEZ DYB8PYR SCSI CdRom Device> DVD-Rom Drive : JYBEZ DYB8PYR SCSI CdRom Device> DVD-Rom Drive : JYBEZ DYB8PYR SCSI CdRom Device> DVD-Rom Drive : JYBEZ DYB8PYR SCSI CdRom Device> Monitor Type : LG Electronics W2234 - 22 inches> Network Card : Realtek Semiconductor RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC> Network Card : Atheros Communications Inc AR5008 Wireless Network Adapter> Operating System : Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium Home Edition 6.00.6001 Service Pack 1> DirectX : Version 10.00> Windows Performance Index : 1.0and yes the crash happens randomly sometimes when im fighting sometimes in a cut sceen somtimes when im just walking around

jamesfarrow said:
here is my PCwizardOperating System: Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium Home Edition 6.00.6001 Service Pack 1Report Date: Monday 19 January 2009 at 22:59
attach full log

When I first installed the game a few days ago (the extended edition with patch 1.5) it ran fine and I must have started it over 10 times with no problems, now whenever I click play from the launcher it reboots my computer! I've tried all the fixes in the faq, done a driver clean, all that sort of stuff but it now refuses to start and I'm loathe to click play as I hate my machine doing a hard restart, not good for the hardware. Has anyone else come across this? I just don't understand why it would work brilliantly for 3 days with no crashes at all (got to chapter 2 in the swamp) and now just refuses to start up? - cheers beforehand.

pobblepop said:
When I first installed the game a few days ago (the extended edition with patch 1.5) it ran fine and I must have started it over 10 times with no problems, now whenever I click play from the launcher it reboots my computer! I've tried all the fixes in the faq, done a driver clean, all that sort of stuff but it now refuses to start and I'm loathe to click play as I hate my machine doing a hard restart, not good for the hardware. Has anyone else come across this? I just don't understand why it would work brilliantly for 3 days with no crashes at all (got to chapter 2 in the swamp) and now just refuses to start up? - cheers beforehand.
Don't know... have you tried bypassing the launcher... there is a witcher.exe buried in the witcher directory somewhere. In system or some sub folder. clicking that directly has the game skip that launch menu. But I doubt it'll change anything. Usually reboots like that are due to the PC itself, not software... Like maybe a stick of ram gone bad, or something. There should be a memory scan in bios, I'd try activating that, and see if it shows a problem there. In bios it's usually a toggle for fast start (when fast start is enabled it skips the memory check) or something to activate the startup memory check.I'd try uninstalling the game, and reinstalling, too.... Maybe even try moving your save files somewhere else and deleting the witcher save games directory, too. But I don't have a clue what would cause the shortcut to witcher cause a reboot like that. Have you done anything to your PC since it quit working? Like maybe install new video drivers? Could be the Video Drivers that you recently installed is the cause, and you should go back to the older version that you were using before...There's this, too: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=24834.msg532219#msg532219 I guess try starting the game with your desktop at 1024X768 to see if that fixes it. I know the link says 1280 x 960, but I've always used 1024x768 and hadn't have any problems with witcher as far as crashes are concerned. Another link probably related: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=2346.msg5320903#msg5320903 "3.) goto C:/program files/The Witcher/System/ and rightclick on "Witcher.exe" and Select "propertys" Run on Windows XP service Pack 2 and make a check at "start in Solution 640x480"

pobblepop said:
read: Getting tech help on the forum and attach that PCWizard report as instructed ( use the older version of PCWizard if you have problems with the newer one )do attach the file ERRLOG.TXT from The Witcher/System folder ( if the game crashed )

Ok I seem to have fixed this reboot problem, I've set the game properties in the Nvidia control panel to run on a single gpu, rather than sli and it now fires up and plays ok.

Top Bottom