[Gamebreaking Bug] [All Platforms] Skellige DLC Causing CTD on Fast Travel

+
My friend, i go straight from Skellige to Misty Island and IT'S WORKING.
Just give it a try. Download that save from Nexus, don't use your own. My own previous save also didn't work.

@ste100

If this method is working for you, please do some other tests.

1. After you traveled successfully to Velen save the game.
2. Travel again to Skellige (e.g. Kaer Trolde) and save the game.
3. Exit the game (and restart your PC).
4. Start the game and load last savegame.
5. Travel to Velen.
Does the game crash?

Ok, guys,. THX TO other players on other forum FINALLY i've found solution which IS WORKING FOR ME:
Download clear save game Velen/Skellige from Nexus <<CAN'T INCLUDE LINK, SEE ORIGINAL POST>>.
Do not read what he did cause he is on 70lvl /spoilers/, just use signs to move Velen->Skellige->Novigrad, then WITHOUY SAVING load your broken savegame on Skellige and finally you will be able to leave this f.... island.
This is one and the only one solution which work for me.
Hope other players can go thru with this too.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! This worked for me after everything else I tried failed.

I wanted to retest this again and got lucky. It seems I have not triggered the bug although I visited Trottheim.
Here is what worked for me:

(installed/enabled) Skellige Armor Set DLC
(installed/enabled) Skellige Most Wanted DLC
(installed/enabled) Where the Cat and Wolf play DLC
Traveled to Faroe and followed the quest "Following the Thread"

- went to Trottheim
- told guards 'I will wait' *
- went into Trottheim
- killed Hammonds people in Trottheim
- looted and read all papers from Hammonds people in Trottheim *
- killed Hammond and looted his stuff
- did NOT use fast traveling sign in Trottheim *
- went to Harviken
- used fast traveling sign in Harviken *
- traveled to 'Kaer Trolde harbor' and saved the game
- traveled to Novigrad without crash
- exited game
- started game and loaded savegame 'Kaer Trolde harbor'
- traveled to White Garden without crash

* Doing these steps seems to make the difference between triggering and not triggering the bug.

This result is entirely different from my previous tests ( http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...-Fast-Travel?p=1813209&viewfull=1#post1813209 ) and may also be a workaround without missing anything later like secondary/sub/gear quests on Faroe.

Last edited:
Update: I reverted to a checkpoint save in Novigrad during the Brothers in Arms quest. Was able to load isle of mists ok & continue the game. However at the very last scene with the tower, the game tries to load out and crashes to desktop. I have tried:
* Uninstalling & reinstalling DLC
* Loading a game in Velen, then loading the save in Skellege
* Borderless window mode

The patch notes for 1.07 don't specifically address this problem. I am hoping it does because I would like to see the ending based on choices I made, not whoever made YouTube videos. I don't want to go into the system & delete files but what else can I do?

My crash log says the error is exception access violation, error reading location.

Last edited:
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! This worked for me after everything else I tried failed.

Unfortunately this only temporarily solved the problem. Returning to Skellige causes the bug to return. Now I'm stuck at the end of the game...
and can't play the epilogue mission "Something Ends, Something Begins" since it involves leaving Skellige as Ciri. Talk about anticlimactic... :facepalm:

@Forcite
It seems there is no permanent workaround to finish games main story once the bug is triggered.

Ways to not trigger the bug:
1. Play the game without DLCs installed -> #34 (Test 1) http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...-Fast-Travel?p=1813209&viewfull=1#post1813209
(install DLCs after finishing main story to play them).
or
2. Avoid entering Trottheim by using a boat to get around it -> #44 http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...-Fast-Travel?p=1813803&viewfull=1#post1813803
(probably not possible to finish gear side quest, because one part is in Trottheim)
or
3. Do what I posted in #84 http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...-Fast-Travel?p=1835536&viewfull=1#post1835536
(no negative side effects noticed yet)

Actually I had this bug, did the worked around by loading a prior save and sailing around Trottheim. Later I returned for the Cat gear and did not trigger the bug. I still avoided Trottheim though, I sailed around the island to enter the cave.

That's the best news I've heard all day. Any word on when 1.07 is getting released? I've been dying to finish this game for over 3 weeks now.

News from vennecto (CD PROJEKT RED):

Cheers for sharing!

Although I'm not experiencing the bug anymore, I feel for you guys that are still stuck on Skellige. I was always anxious that It could happen to me any time.
Fingers crossed and lets just hope that all goes well! :)

(Sorry for my bad english)

I did the quest differently (went to Trotthiem, told the guys the wrong thing and had to fight em, etc) But I managed to FT out of Skellige from Trotthiem by doing this:

Save right in front of the sign.

quit the game, restart the game

load the save, immediately FT to WO, Sawmill

Save again, quit game again, restart, load save

FT to Crows Perch

No crashes since then..... interestingly, last night I got to Following the Thread again in my next run.... and it never crashed this time, finished it all in one go.

I reached level 27 and decided to install the DLC a couple weeks ago, fast traveled to Skellige and am stuck there now. Hopefully this gets some attention in 1.07.

I completed Following the Thread long ago and am just now getting stuck on Skellige after installing the DLC.

I thought the issue was just Skellige's Most Wanted so I loaded an early save, turned on Where the Wolf and Cat Play DLC, and tested it and still wasn't able to leave after fast traveling there.

I've been too long on Skellige islands ...
I'm at peace with my fate, I will buy this little house and will deal with fishing ( the sad fate for the witcher ).
I feel a bit lonely ,
so I want to invite all of you boys and girls together,
who share with me the sad fate of Odysseus
(everyone else who could risk eternal stay are welcome(OK, now I sound like Hades)) ,
to come to my modest party.There 's nothing else that I could do.
PS: Beer and fish on my account (at least that I have in abundance ) .

ste100 you saved my life! Works like a charm!!!

---------- Updated at 10:37 PM ----------

ste100 you saved my life! Works like a charm!!!

---------- Updated at 10:36 PM ----------

Ok, guys,. THX TO other players on other forum FINALLY i've found solution which IS WORKING FOR ME:
Download clear save game Velen/Skellige from Nexus.
Do not read what he did cause he is on 70lvl /spoilers/, just use signs to move Velen->Skellige->Novigrad, then WITHOUY SAVING load your broken savegame on Skellige and finally you will be able to leave this f.... island.
This is one and the only one solution which work for me.
Hope other players can go thru with this too.
Thanks man, it works!!!!

Last edited:
Okay, here's what I did ,
I simulated the above mentioned, I took my old save,
open console, typed in "God " and " GotoSkellige " for the first time opened the island ,
then the Fast travel , Velen > Skellige > Novigrad . Without saving I loaded my original game,
and BAM works! Thank you all and I hope that I have help someone also.
P.S:So, Cancel a party and I am going to further testing ;) Thanks again to everyone!

Keep in mind the "savegame swap/loading workaround" is only a temporal fix to continue W3. Many people reported the game crashes again at the end of the main story (where you can not repeat this "trick" anymore). Just wait for Patch 1.07.

Keep in mind the "savegame swap/loading workaround" is only a temporal fix to continue W3. Many people reported the game crashes again at the end of the main story (where you can not repeat this "trick" anymore). Just wait for Patch 1.07.
Thanks, I´ll keep that in mind.

Top Bottom