Geralt and combat

+
Geralt and combat

Apologies if this has already been asked or discussed but;

I haven't played for a while, perhaps since 1.04 and after returning todayI still see that when in combat Geralt is incapable of climbing toget away from monsters or humans, even if the thing you want to climb is asmall log, the jump button becomes the dodge button in combat andthere is no way around this, is this something CDPR have commented onas it's very frustrating when you want to escape a sticky situationbut find yourself getting cornered.

There is also that strange bug(?) or feature when an enemy movesslightly away from Geralt and he automatically puts his sword away,this is something I really wish could be set to manual as I usuallylike to back away and access the situation on Death March but Geraltsheathes his sword and goes into Witcher senses when there is no needto at all.

I've posted this elsewhere on Reddit but it got downvoted to oblivion with no discussion at all so I figured signing up here was my best shot at understanding why this feature is in the game and whether CDPR have intended it. Thank you for reading.

As far as I know, the sword problem was addressed in 1.07. I don't think it is as bad as it used to be. Jumping in combat hasn't really troubled me, since you couldn't jump at all in the previous two games. You can run away by holding the sprint key. But yeah, I can see how it could be a problem to someone.

As far as I know, the sword problem was addressed in 1.07. I don't think it is as bad as it used to be. Jumping in combat hasn't really troubled me, since you couldn't jump at all in the previous two games. You can run away by holding the sprint key. But yeah, I can see how it could be a problem to someone.

The jumping in combat is more frustrating in certain areas for example Crows Perch when you fight the Wraiths whilst the Baron is with you. The place you fight is full of small ledges and, barrels and wagons so maneuvering through all of that whilst also fighting is a pain if I'm honest and honestly I hope it's something I could fix myself with the use of the Redkit.

The sword sheathing during combat still feels the same for me and I honestly think the game would benefit from some sort of manual sheathing option which perhaps is another thing that could be changed using the Redkit -I hope-

Neither of these have really bothered me to the point where I had actually started thinking of removing them, but yeah, I can see them being a bit of a drag. Hopefully they will be addressed with proper patches and not just mods, especially the sword sheathing.

Personally my biggest problem with the game right now is that Death March is way too easy and I can't stand those water and dirt effects on the camera lens. :p

Neither of these have really bothered me to the point where I had actually started thinking of removing them, but yeah, I can see them being a bit of a drag. Hopefully they will be addressed with proper patches and not just mods, especially the sword sheathing.

Personally my biggest problem with the game right now is that Death March is way too easy and I can't stand those water and dirt effects on the camera lens. :p

I'm not really finding Death March all that fun sadly, it's only made enemies more tanky and hitting harder so I find myself having to cheese enemies by hitting them and moving away which is why Sheathing and Combat jumping are effecting me. I really enjoyed Blood and Broken Bones because I felt I could stay in the action and parry everything which actually made me feel like a proper warrior and not your typical level 6 Fantasy character fighting sponges.

It is very annoying that that just because he is combat Geralt stops being able to jump or climb. Probably because the objects have a special property allowing them to be climbable and it gets turned off when the game is in combat mode.

As for the jumping it is switched to combat rolling probably to prevent the player from getting stuck or intentionally going somewhere where a monster can't get to. I mean, how would a drowner jump onto a crate? So who ever is responsible for combat over in CDPR found that it was best to stop players for going to places monster can't go.

It is very annoying that that just because he is combat Geralt stops being able to jump or climb. Probably because the objects have a special property allowing them to be climbable and it gets turned off when the game is in combat mode.

As for the jumping it is switched to combat rolling probably to prevent the player from getting stuck or intentionally going somewhere where a monster can't get to. I mean, how would a drowner jump onto a crate? So who ever is responsible for combat over in CDPR found that it was best to stop players for going to places monster can't go.

You are definitely correct about the exploitable possibilities of climbing on something like a crate but surely if they attacked it would still hit you but I guess that's beside the point. This is very clearly a design choice since you cannot interact when fighting either and I learnt this by trying to sneak into a hidden treasure to steal the loot and run away but once combat is initiated Geralt forgets how to open things and how to jump.

Personally, I am starting to dislike how developers, in general, manhandle players and direct their play with limitations, presets, failure mechanics and strict linear quest design. I know that in this game there is a story that must be followed and played out like a theater play but outside that we should have our way with the game. You can't count how many videos are there on YouTube where players in Skyrim do interesting stuff with the tools at their disposal. While for TW3 all videos on YT are about a) Bugs B) performance C) Skill at dodging enemy attacks and killing monster with 0 hp lost.

I couldn't agree with the op more. Not being able to jump in combat is very immersion breking imo. And frustrating at certain points in the game. I wish CDPR would look at this issue and implement something like a manual "switch combat stance" button or allow binding jump and dodge to two separate buttons.

Dont feel the need to jump in combat, just being able to lift my foot over small obstacles would suffice:angry2:

That is stupid why would he be jumping at all . He is using a sword and that sword has weight to it . This is not Halo where you can hop around like a dumb rabbit yeah cause a combat roll fits with the combat of using swords better

---------- Updated at 01:30 PM ----------

If they do I am not downloading this dumb and flat out stupid idea cause I guess some want the halo style garbage in every game

That is stupid why would he be jumping at all . He is using a sword and that sword has weight to it . This is not Halo where you can hop around like a dumb rabbit yeah cause a combat roll fits with the combat of using swords better

If they do I am not downloading this dumb and flat out stupid idea cause I guess some want the halo style garbage in every game

BUT I WANT THE NEEDLER! DON'T DESTROY MY DREAMS, MMKAY?

You are seriously complaining about the realism of combat in a game where elves from another dimension are hunting a girl who can teleport and travel between multiple universes?

:what2:

I think this may have got needlessly overheated...

I believe that the OP is talking about the fact that, during combat, Geralt has problems if there are obstacles between him and whoever he's fighting, and in moving to a higher/lower level if that's where the enemy is.

Top Bottom