Geralt’s English dubbing!

+
mulletmark said:
And back on track - I am still personally gunning for subtitiles.....
Personally, I find subtitles distracting, but ideally they should be an option for those who prefer them. :)

Why American, i dont mean to offend anyone here but i cant take the accent seriously enough. Geralt for me should be a voice of authority, a certain level of malice, the English accent is most capable of getting this across. If you were trying to portray Geralt as an angst-ridden teen or an ass-kicking marine *chuckle* then sure, American is the way to go.Also, from what i have read so far in the 'Last wish' the witcher's world is very suited to medieval europe, theres history there. In terms of language theres little difference but in terms of inflection and integrity English is the only way forward, it has an implication of heritage, and of history. American is far too poppy and throwaway.You see, its all about class, the English have it, the Americans dont.I only hope you dont make him whoop and do bull-horns. God bless America.

Harkatim said:
Why American, i dont mean to offend anyone here but i cant take the accent seriously enough. Geralt for me should be a voice of authority, a certain level of malice, the English accent is most capable of getting this across. If you were trying to portray Geralt as an angst-ridden teen or an ass-kicking marine *chuckle* then sure, American is the way to go.Also, from what i have read so far in the 'Last wish' the witcher's world is very suited to medieval europe, theres history there. In terms of language theres little difference but in terms of inflection and integrity English is the only way forward, it has an implication of heritage, and of history. American is far too poppy and throwaway.You see, its all about class, the English have it, the Americans dont.I only hope you dont make him whoop and do bull-horns. God bless America.
Looks like Harkatim is trying to burn the forest down with those comments. Damn, I mean what a way to start a flame war. It is easy to tear apart any culture, and I could do the same with the English if I so chose. I wouldn't though, as I harbor no animosity towards them. I'm not sure why an Englishman would look down on the US so much.I'll instead ignore his "Americans don't have class" comments. Anyone who can classify 300 million people into one category obviously has some prejudice issues.The decision behind the accent was most likely chosen because it is what the publisher feels will sell the most copies. Personally, I would prefer either an American, Polish, or Germanic accent. I have trouble sometimes understanding the thicker English accents. I know, this is my problem and not yours, but then again this is only my opinion. The current voice sounds fine to me though.

OK, OK. Let's relax everyone :) If you really need to continue this dispute, please use Private Messages.One more question for all of you. As we know the main character's name is Geralt. The thing is that in Poland the name is pronounced with "g" like in English "go" and not like in "gin". What do you think - which one should be used in an English version of the game?

I myself, being a Pole, prefer the polish pronounciation.But I guess the English-speaking people would rather hear the "gin" g in Geralt.

I just re-read my initial post, and it is a little confrontational, for which i apologise. (it was late and i had been out haveing a few pints with friends)I dont have a problem with the American people at all, i just didnt react well to once again hearing another American accent where it doesnt fit and was unneccassery.Haveing an English accent isnt all that important either what is important is that he sound somewhat European to maintain his sense of identity. As a none American i do get tired of contsntly hearing The American accent in modern video-games, it just grates after a while, it should be used where it fits and not as the default western voiceover.I understand the reason its used is that company's are worried that Americans wont buy their product if it has any accent other than standardised American......This is either because the American people are stupidly patriotic or the companys have it wrong and they are insulting the general populace.Personally i dont think any country can be that blindly patriotic (even America) so the company's are just playing safe, after all they know it will sell here (uk) regardless.I suppose i'll just have to cringe everytime Geralt speaks, i can live with it.Once again i apologise for my initial post and for any feathers ruffled :)

Harkatim said:
This is either because the American people are stupidly patriotic or the companys have it wrong and they are insulting the general populace.
Pfft! Stupidly patriotic.. Kicked your Brit ass in World War II! :DBut seriously though, everything is in the eye (or in this case ear) of the beholder. To my Americanized ear the English accent just sounds downright hilarious. Especially when you guys get all emotional, you sound like a really drunk American.I was in London a couple of years back, and while it was a beatiful city with nice people, for the first couple of days I could barely restrain myself from cracking up during conversations. Even though, contrary to my expectations, no one ever called me "guv'na"..If Geralt had a Brit accent, it would take some getting used to on my part, to say the least.

A fair point......dude?You know we were on the same side in world war 2 right?....when you eventually had the balls to join it that is ;)To wonderful relations between our fair nations :)

Sorry i wont say anymore on the matter.The only reason i replied was because of his severely misinformed world war 2 statement.To conclude, i am very excited about the game regardless of accent. I've been following its progress for about 2 years now and been waiting longer for an English translation of one the books. The book was excellent.Fingers crossed for the game, but from what i've seen so far i dont have anything to worry about :)

Hmm... not bad, definately not bad. I couldn't figure out for the first few moments why it seemed a bit off to me. I finally decided that it is because, even though the setting is in a completely different fantasy world, I always imagined Geralt speaking Polish since that was what the stories were originally written in. I guess some part of me almost expected an accent or something, although that would be INCREDIBLY stupid when you think about it. In any event, the voice kind of reminds me of the "stealth" voicesets from other RPGs, and therefore sounds a tiny bit cliche, at least to me.

ooh, crap!!! :'( I had only read the front page of posts and not the last few. I totally didn't mean to inflame anything by mentioning the whole "accent" thing. That was honestly just one of my first thoughts, impressions. I didn't even realize there was a whole issue going on about it. Sorry! And just to clarify, i was referring to Geralt having a Polish accent, not a British one. Which is why I said it would be stupid. Not because Polish is stupid! Not at all - but because the story is in a totally different world - so first of all, why are they speaking English in the first place? and furthermore why would they then speak english with an accent of a different different language also not from that world?? I was actually a little embarassed to admit such a silly and naive assumption. Anyway - enough rambling on about this. Tootles!

So we have heard so far Russian, English and Polish samples. How do you compare them? Which one is the best in your opinion?Just as a reminderRussian samples can be found -> HERE (the list with underlinded links)English -> HEREPolish -> HERE (the 1,2,3 numbers ;) )

We still have to wait for German samples. And the fact is that the Polish samples are the best ones ;P

I just wanted to chime in that I think Geralt should be pronounced with a 'G' like in 'Go'. In my opinion giving it the 'J' sound like in 'gin' makes it sound too similar to Gerard, a French name. I think a unique character in a unique world deserves a unique sounding name.

Comparing the 3 examples I like the Polish one best. My decision is based upon the rhythm and tone of the voices.

Top Bottom