• Option 1: Sword of Destiny-Version

Votes: 323 52.4%
  • Option 2: Debut-Version

Votes: 68 11.0%
  • Option 3:VGX-Version

Votes: 70 11.4%
  • Option 4:Summer Conference-Version

Votes: 129 20.9%
  • Other (Freel free to post your suggestion)

Votes: 26 4.2%

• Total voters
Nice try LordCrash! xD hahaha!!! CGI shots doesn't count... Only in-game engine footage counts, mods are welcome too. LoL
Well, you are right that it's a prerendered shot or artwork. But let's be honest: Almost the same could be reached ingame with a state-of-the-art engine of today...

But it's actually more about the form of his cheekbones and his general facial proportions (cheeks, nose, eyes, mouth, general physiognomy)... ;)

I mean, there is so much right in this artwork (face, swords, clothes, medaillon, weapon belt) I can't imagine why anyone at CDPR would actually want to deviate from it. In this picture Geralt looks imo more like a real witcher/warrior (by both his looks and the gear he is wearing) than in any picture of Geralt I've seen from TW3 so far... ;)

Last edited:
Almost the same could be reached ingame with a state-of-the-art engine of today...
CGI and realtime renders are miles apart plus no point in creating a super high quality model when it will have to be reduced to a much lower poly count to be in the game.

CGI and realtime renders are miles apart plus no point in creating a super high quality model when it will have to be reduced to a much lower poly count to be in the game.
Well, in all honesty: Geralt's face shown in the Sword of Destiny trailer is kind of CGI as well (because it's much more detailed than the one we've seen in the gameplay demos so far). Geralt's face in The Sword of Destiny trailer imo doesn't lack much fidelity for a "full CGI" or "artwork" face....

Well, you are right that it's a prerendered shot or artwork. But let's be honest: Almost the same could be reached ingame with a state-of-the-art engine of today...

But it's actually more about the form of his cheekbones and his general facial proportions (cheeks, nose, eyes, mouth, general physiognomy)... ;)

I mean, there is so much right in this artwork (face, swords, clothes, medaillon, weapon belt) I can't imagine why anyone at CDPR would actually want to deviate from it. In this picture Geralt looks imo more like a real witcher/warrior (by both his looks and the gear he is wearing) than in any picture of Geralt I've seen from TW3 so far... ;)

Not to be a dick here, but this is the single most awful image of Geralt CDPR ever produced. Just my take on it. I know we all want him to be scarred, ugly and unconventional. But I wouldn't play a Geralt that looked like this.

I think one of their main goals for Geralt's facial design was highlighting his toughness and roughness while balancing it out with softer features because in the end, he's the 'good' guy. We need to be able to relate with him. Look at the subtle things like his absolutely charming smile - those things really flesh him out as a character, as opposed to a deliberate ugly design with a constant grumpy facial expression.

CDPR made a kickass job with his design this time around - this is light years away from the 'greek god' version of Geralt they had before W2 release.

Honestly, what's wrong with you?

Ugh, trying to spin the discussion around me again... Just stop it.

Not to be a dick here, but this is the single most awful image of Geralt CDPR ever produced. Just my take on it. I know we all want him to be scarred, ugly and unconventional. But I wouldn't play a Geralt that looked like this.
Could you explain why? What is wrong with Geralt in this picture according to you? It seems our tastes/opinions are 100% different here...

That picture (apart from the reverse view) meet all the requeriments of Geralt description, facial structure, nose, eyes, the scar is just recently re-opened and bleeding, and he has gray hair, what is 100 times better than brown.

Well, in all honesty: Geralt's face shown in the Sword of Destiny trailer is kind of CGI as well (because it's much more detailed than the one we've seen in the gameplay demos so far). Geralt's face in The Sword of Destiny trailer imo doesn't lack much fidelity for a "full CGI" or "artwork" face....

Some of the gameplay was Xbox One. And you don't know the system of the PC on that it was played on. Maybe it wasn't the highest graphis settings possible.
Just as a side note.

I don't mind if his face looks a bit "fat", like some of you say here. Geralt is old now. He is tired and not the Witcher he once was.
Why doesn't that face fit to him?

Some of the gameplay was Xbox One. And you don't know the system of the PC on that it was played on. Maybe it wasn't the highest graphis settings possible.
Just as a side note.
The swamp gameplay was on a PC. And my post wasn't about graphical fidelity but about the general proportions of his face. ;)

I don't mind if his face looks a bit "fat", like some of you say here. Geralt is old now. He is tired and not the Witcher he once was.
He already looks tired at the beginning of the book saga. But tired and old are not the same. If you are tired your face doesn't become fat...

And a few month's don't let a Witcher really look older. You wouldn't even notice a few years...

And a few month's don't let a Witcher really look older. You wouldn't even notice a few years...
You don't know how much a face can change in even a few month?
This is possible indeed, and happens verya often. Like some people said already, the beard and beard style is very important here.

You don't know how much a face can change in even a few month?
This is possible indeed, and happens verya often. Like some people said already, the beard and beard style is very important here.

We don't talk about real humans, we talk about witchers, mutants. Different story alltogether.

Do I really have to quote another passage from the books? :p

We don't talk about real humans, we talk about witchers, mutants. Different story alltogether.

So you say if a witcher changes his beard, his face doesn't look different, cause... he is a witcher, not human?

(Just an example. I don't want to say that the different look is all of the beard. I is just one view.
I really like the new face. I don't want it to change.)

All different looks of Geralt have their advantages and disadvantages. Personally I am perfectly happy with the current iteration, though I do wish his hair was white.

So you say if a witcher changes his beard, his face doesn't look different, cause... he is a witcher, not human?
I was referring to exactly this quote of yours:
There are the attibutes fat, old and tired. That has nothing to do with Geralt wearing a beard now (which most likely will be optional).

So, yes, a beard of course changes a man's appearance. But it doesn't change the physiognomy of one's face.

I disagree, If I am correct The Witcher 3 only takes place around 6 months after The Witcher 2? And in The Witcher 2 Geralt was agile as hell with no signs of the tiredness/oldness you're talking about, as well as shown below having the body proportions of Brad Pitt at his body peak. And as they recited in the Witcher books though I can't remember the exact quote, the aging of a Witcher is barely noticable physically so I highly doubt that all of a sudden he'd be old and fat after 6 months.

Face - fat
Body - slim

;)

Just imagine Brad Pitt in the picture above with a swollen, fat face. Wouldn't really fit, hm?

That's the issue. It's all arbitrary. Brad Pitt does look like he has a swollen, fat face in the picture, at least to me. That or he has a dislocated... Chin. Even though I'm not sure that's actually possible.

Brad Pitt in Troy (the movie for which he exercised that much) looked nowhere near as fat in the face as the ingame Geralt (have a look the picture from the swamp again).

But of course, it's somewhat "arbitrary" at least to what we see fitting. We talk mostly about what we like and dislike and we try to find arguments why we think so. Or do you think the designer of Geralt's face at CDPR just ordered his software to make him an arbitrary face?

Last edited:
Top Bottom