Give us some more new big value contracts please!

+
Nah, I don't mind more cards, I just think it should be difficult to get a great collection. And if I'm not calculating completely incorrectly, it's way too easy to get a great collection with scraps, despite reward books being so slow.

I've pretty much just crafted what I need for Northern Realms and Nilfgaard on the fly with no consideration and without great trouble. It just seems a bit too easy.

I've only prioritized these two factions, and the cards I think I need, so yes I prioritize, it's still just too easy with scraps though. High value cards are just too cheap with scraps. 70% is alot! It's a good collection for those factions, not a great one. I guess I'm in about the same situation as you. It doesn't really feel challenging to build a great collection though. Soon enough I will have a great collection for Northern Realms and Nilfgaard.

And if I can judge the progression from those two factions, it will be too easy to get a great collection overall, and thus I think the collection part of the game is unbalanced, due to scraps. They simply buy you too much.

Technically, if you invested in thronebreaker, you would have got 3200 free scraps with the nerf of Lippy, corresponding to a value of 1600 powder. So a pretty good return on investment.

I actually agree but maybe that's the point? I think CDPR expects players to play the game for a loooooong time.
still unrealistic low gain on rp while getting exponentially more trees to do; in the expansion you get a CC tree with possibly each leader for 10rp per path (like TB) plus 5 leader specific trees, so thats again 500+ rp more to do while also doing season trees

I feel the pace of rewards is great. The only game I have to compare it to is Hearthstone, and if Gwent goes down that route, I will stop playing.

I feel little to no progress in building a collection in that game unless I spend money. The great thing about Gwent is you can build your collection in a very reasonable time without spending money. That is honestly shocking. It is the only reason I spent money on this game in the beta, because CDPR is practically giving me stuff just for dedicating my time, so I might as well make it up to them.

I do not want them to change it. The pacing feels great for everything.

New player here i want to say my opinion on this. I think getting reward points is pretty fast you can get 4 each day easily and you also level up while farming this means everyday you get 5 points just playing few games. And without any contract completions. It has been less than 3 weeks i started playing this game. And i almost opened all the reward chests and commanders on the reward books except 2 on the thronebreaker reward book which you need 10 points to unlock. But i also finished the thronebreaker which helped a lot. I think reward point system is pretty cool and also you dont have to unlock everthing you can focus on the ones you want.

I actually agree but maybe that's the point? I think CDPR expects players to play the game for a loooooong time.

Well, then they did it all wrong by allowing you to so easily and cheaply complete your collection with scraps. I'm firmly of the opinion players get too much scraps and crafting in scraps is too cheap.

I think there should be a re-balancing here and that it should be easier/cheaper to open reward books. Now the game just punishes completionists and make the game less of a card collection game, by allowing you to forge too many cards too easily with scraps. I mean, what is even the value of kegs anymore? Is it even worth getting faction kegs? I mean, it's far easier with scraps.
Post automatically merged:

New player here i want to say my opinion on this. I think getting reward points is pretty fast you can get 4 each day easily and you also level up while farming this means everyday you get 5 points just playing few games. And without any contract completions. It has been less than 3 weeks i started playing this game. And i almost opened all the reward chests and commanders on the reward books except 2 on the thronebreaker reward book which you need 10 points to unlock. But i also finished the thronebreaker which helped a lot. I think reward point system is pretty cool and also you dont have to unlock everthing you can focus on the ones you want.

As things look for me now, I will be able to complete my card collection LONG BEFORE I will be able to unlock all the reward books. That's the issue I have with the balance of rewards/deck building.

It should be more difficult to build a good collection, and easier to open reward books. If that rewards the Beta players, I don't mind that, they deserve it. But for post-beta players, I think the whole balance for a collection building game is terribly wrong.

I already have a superb collection for both Nilfgaard and Northern Realms, but I'm just halfway into their reward books. This feels completely wrong. It should rather be the opposite.

Interestingly, I was just about to make a post on the slow rate of RP, then I saw you reply to my thread asking for advice on how to spend them.

While I've focused my efforts on unlocking the leaders, I've quickly run into a roadblock, even though things went by pretty quickly at first (probably how they hook you). (I also spent 5 on some sort of keg reward... oops)

I'm mostly disappointed that I won't be able to unlock the lore through normal play... (i.e. not looking it up online).
Once I get the leaders, I'll get to work on the Year of the Boar since that's the only limited page (the seasonal ones will come back next year).

I wish they added a way to get more RP, or just increase the rate that it drops. Perhaps give a perk that every 20 levels you get an extra 5% chance to get 1 RP.

I'm pretty fine with rates of RP, you can unlock all leaders in cca two weeks. The only problem I can think of is if you are really interested in lore (not that I am not, but I can't play TW2 and TW3 on my laptop so I completely ignore any lore here) but I believe it's a nice system (you have to work a bit in the game to unlock some story, which this game isn't primarily focused on).
Anyway this game is still really generous an I feel they shouldn't accelerate RP. If they did they'd had to remodel reward trees a bit and that is too much work for not really a big upgrade.

Well, I'm more and more convinced there is an issue with the design of the reward point system and the scraps. Like I said, you get way too few reward points, and way too many scraps/scraps buy you way too much.

So, the collection theme of the game, it's not really existent. You can easily get the cards you want with scraps. It's a bit of a shame really. And regarding reward points, you cannot really complete anything or partake in seasonal reward books at any decent pace.

I understand the logic behind both scraps and reward points, I just think CDPR missed the target completely. Now you have a game where if you played since release, then you cannot find any joy in reward books, and if you like to collect cards, it's way too easy. It should be opposite.

It should be easier to open reward books, they should give alot less scraps, and probably slightly less of everything else as well. Prices for cards should be adjusted, making it more expensive to buy them for scraps, and getting less scraps for scrapping cards. That way the game can really become a card collection game, AND it can be possible to make good fun progress in the reward books.

I'm glad to see CDPR moving on this front. Both the events and the reward points for daily quests help in this regard.

Now I just wish they increased the cost of cards in scraps so that it would be more difficult to complete the card collection, and make you think twice every time you craft a new card from scraps.

I did that the other day. I paid 3200 scraps for Isbel of Hagge. It made a significant dent to my scraps. I think gold cards should range from 3200 to 800 scraps in price, with some costing less also, depending. Say "core" cards to each faction that would be easy for new players to add to the "default" collection, should perhaps range from 200 to 800. Some gold cards cost 200 which is way too cheap.

I think CDPR should put some thoughts into a set of cards that are not in the standard faction package (or whatever it is called), that should be considered core cards and cost 200-800, but only a few. Then most gold cards should cost 800-3200.

Regarding bronze cards, they could also cost 800. Most people get all bronze cards from the kegs anyways, so it's not really that relevant. I own all but 2 bronze cards, and I'm a relatively new player.

Last edited:

DRK3

Forum veteran
@mzeebra You probably wont garner many fans with that opinion, about increasing crafting values.

I can also tell you they probably wont do it. These crafting costs remain the same since the beginning of closed beta: 800 scraps for legendaries (back then there were gold and silver legendaries, and gold and silver epics), 200 for epics, 80 for rares and 30 for commons (actually i think the craft or mill value for commons was different, but the change was favourable for the players)

As much as i hate netdecking, it's fair that newer players can get a decent collection more easily. Scraps were way harder to get back then and players collection had a bigger role in their winrate. Gwent is supposed to be based on skill, not playtime (or money investment, for those buying kegs)

@mzeebra You probably wont garner many fans with that opinion, about increasing crafting values.

Well, Gwent is also suppose to be a card collecting game, but currently it doesn't feel like that. It's too easy to get the cards with scraps.

I'm not saying it should be impossible, I'm just saying it should be more challenging to build a good collection, and that you should have to consider which cards to get. It should take time to build a good collection.

So let's take Monsters as an example. You get the basic collection of cards when you start the game. We all know some typical example of "core" gold Monsters cards that should be relatively easy to get, the Crones being a good example.
Early on in the game, you tend to get alot of reward points and can easily get kegs. Generally throughout the game you can get kegs easily, and with kegs you normally quickly build up a good collection of bronze cards.

But beyond bronze cards, beyond the standard included cards and beyond the typical faction gold cards, it should be skilled based to build a collection too. I only added the post in this thread today, because of something someone said in another post:
https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/gwent-that-i-desire.11007874/

Point 7 of that post. I think he expained it alot better than I do. But I really agree with him, and I've raised this point in this thread before.

It shouldn't be terribly difficult and slow to build a collection, but it also should not be terribly easy and fast. It should be a challenge, and you should have to make priority choices when you build your card collection.

I joined shortly after post-beta release (HC?), and I never felt there was a card collection aspect to the game. They just roll in automatically, and those I did not get I could easily craft with scraps, too easily. I never really had to make any hard choices and it never felt challenging. I've only played NG and NR so far, and I've got pretty much all cards, but I've not managed to near complete the reward books. This feels wrong. It feels like there is something wrong with the card collection aspect of the game. It's just too easy. And it is due to scraps, nothing else. Kegs etc work fine. You get gold cards sometimes, you get all the bronze cards you need, and alot of cards you can scrap. You don't get too much scraps, but the cards are not priced right.

DRK3

Forum veteran
@mzeebra I know what you're saying, me personally, i also love the collecting aspect of card games, maybe even more than the actual playing, and i've never had that aspect since HC, due to enormous amount of resources coming from beta, and will continue since i get scraps at a faster rate than CDPR adds new cards.

But that's the thing - CDPR can't adjust the pace of resource gathering to the minority of players who play a lot, like you and me, otherwise more casual players, who are behind, in both card collection and experience, will get further behind and are more likely to quit.

Well. I understand that beta players have an almost or full collection and alot of resources at hand. I don't mind that, it's ok.

But for me as a "new" player (HC) I find that the whole card collection part of the game is not working as it should. There is no card collection aspect to the game! It's also not really down to how much you play only, you still get easy access to alot of cards very quick, because they are so cheap!

I think the first month of play, I got to open about 60 kegs, which nearly completed my bronze collection AND gave me alot of scraps. I did play quite alot for that, but it was quite easy to get reward points in the beginning.

I never had to carefully assess which cards to get next, which is a bit of a shame. And I never paid for extra kegs, so all of them were free. Option to freeride is good yes, but it should be slower, without being able to get too much advantage if you pay, but some..

If all the gold cards cost more scraps, I think that would be solved. You'd still be able to build your collection, and if you paid for say 60 kegs, you'd progress a bit faster, but not alot.

Ok, but how long have you played?

So I'm a fairly "new" player. I've played close to 6 months now, and I've ONLY played Northern Realms and Monsters, and I never paid for kegs etc. I'm looking at the deck builder a little bit and I notice:
- I have 15 monster gold cards
- 17 Scoita'Tael gold cards
- 16 Skellige gold cards

I never even played these factions, and I never touched their reward books. This means that the drop rate of gold cards from the kegs is fairly good. It also means I have the fundamentals in place to play any of those factions, since I have all the bronze cards. I would just need to craft maybe 4-5 cards for each faction to be able to place some nice decks.

The total gold cards for each faction is roughly 45, which means without any effort I have 1/3rd of the collection.

I don't mind the drop rate for the kegs, but I can too easily craft 10-15 cards more for each faction. It makes scraps "overpowered" related to the card collection aspect of the game. Among those 45 cards, including the 15 I have, I should carefully have to consider my next moves. But it is not like that, it's just easy to build with scraps, I did so with both Northern Realms and Nilfgaard already.

I doubt this is exclusive to my experience.

Sure, new players need some incentive too, but that is why there should be a "core" of gold cards in each faction which is not that expensive to craft with scraps.

I just think the way CDPR designed the card collection aspect of the game (which you would understand from Witcher 3) is a mistake. You get too few reward points in the game and too many scraps, or cards are too cheap in scraps. Either way. The way kegs works is fine, it provides some fun, but for me it's basically just alot of new scraps.

Looking forward I can imagine I will be able to get any cards that I want, anytime. That seems a bit boring.

DRK3

Forum veteran
@mzeebra My advice to you is to stop worrying with such things as "card collection progress being too easy", when you're still far from a full collection, and start trying other factions.

I would go mad if i had stayed with only 2 factions for my 1st 6 months in Gwent. I started with SK and NR, a month or so later i started trying SC, then 2 months after NG as a faction was added and i immediately tried it, and MO was the last i started, but it was all within the first 6 months.

You clearly have enough experience and cards to try other factions. Even if you dont like them as much as the ones you play now, you'll have the full experience.

:D for me it is quite the opposite!

In order of what I enjoy most is:
- actually "playing" a competitive deck until I fully understand all synergies, combos, pros and cons (the most strategy/chess-like part of the game if you wish)
- finding new decks and card synergies that noone is playing with the hopes of finding a new competitive deck
- collecting the cards

The fact that there is a scrap system means that:
- if you want to enjoy playing good decks you probably end up netdecking and hoping you have enough scraps (around 7000 per deck). If you don't get enough scraps, you can only play the same deck over and over again, which gets boring and feels unfair, since you end up losing not because of lack of skill, but because you don't have the right cards.
Taking it to the extreme, it can feel a bit like playing a game of chess where to start with you are only allowed to use the pawns for a few weeks and eventually, if you play enough games, you get the queen...

- if you want to try new decks and make them yourself, then you need to assume that you will waste scraps trying out cards that end up being useless. Again, without enough scraps in the system you cannot afford to craft useless cards and will not be able to enjoy this part of the game as much...

For me the collection aspect is separated and clearly given by the premiums, which you cannot craft with scraps.

So, if for you the collection of the digital cards is the most enjoyable part of the game, then forget about scraps and try gaining powder. The rate at which you collect it is much slower and should be enough of a challenge... but increasing the scrap scrafting cost means the players that enjoy the other aspects of the game will stop playing.

Thinking about it, it seems CDPR has found quite a good balance to keep both player types happy (the "players" and the "collectors") by having those two resource types,...

And regarding the contracts, for me what works best is not to even look at them. Just playing the game the contracts get eventually completed on their own.

it would be nice if they add like some sort of "random generating contracts" mechanic, scaled to Geralt's level to keep it balanced and challenging :( in different towns , so players can still continue the witcher experience. even if i it is a DLC i will still certainly pay for it

it would be nice if they add like some sort of "random generating contracts" mechanic, scaled to Geralt's level to keep it balanced and challenging :( in different towns , so players can still continue the witcher experience.

This thread (and the whole forum) is about GWENT, the Witcher Card Game, not about The Witcher (3).

More contracts would be really appreciated, BUT it's not that hard to collect all cards without buying anything, it only takes time. How much? There are 865 cards in game and I managed to collect them all in 800 hours, give or take. Ain't bad as I bought TB and starter pack only.

1 card per hour sounds good!

Top Bottom