GWENT: Ask a Dev

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Will you release the game's OST as mp3 format like you did in Witcher 3 and dlc? I really love the classic soundtrack and the new one so much.

Hi CDPR, I'd like to say thanks for your efforts in making Gwent one of the best card games available, it has certainly come a long way since its inception in Witcher 3. All the best to its future!

I have a few questions for you:

- It's an inevitability that online games will have its fair shares of those who abuse the system. I am specifically talking about those who trigger sync errors/disconnection issues to avoid getting a loss and forcing the server to end the game if they're about to lose. Will you implement a system to prevent that? Or any system really in general to address those who would hack or abuse the game or connection?

- What have your challenges been in Gwent so far when it comes to balancing? Is it possible to for all decks to be prepared to deal with any meta that comes up? for example, I found that if your deck isn't prepared for Monster Weather or SK Queensguard, it's almost impossible to counter.

- One of your developers mentioned that Gwent has server for different regions (NA, Europe, Asia etc). Will you lock the regions? I'd prefer that as I seem to be matched up against players with foreign names that tends to lag the game most of the time.

How often can we expect game patches? There are tens of reported bug issues on Technical corner and none from CDPR haven't says if they're working on it and when (or even if) it will be fixed.. Absolutely no offence because I love this game but how it's possible that such many problems weren't catched on closed beta? Gwent is good piece of game, however good support is much more important nowadays.

Last edited:
About balance tweaks:

a)Appart from things that are obvious broken and I assume that you would want to fix quickly, how often do you, as a developer, think it's healthy to let a "meta" settle, people discover counters and etc, before you step in with balance changes? Ultimately, how often can we expect balance changes?

b)do you thikn it's better, after the game goes live, to also buff underperformng cards, or do you thikn it's best to rely on new cards (20/2months i think is the stated goal?) to fill in gaps?

I read that you don't plan any new account reset after open beta but I also read somewhere that you want to have around 500 cards at launch, if this is true, how will you add more into the current collection without having a negative impact on those that already invested money in this game and could have got some of those new cards instead of more duplicated cards because the pool at the time was smaller?

When you developed the original Gwent for The Witcher 3, did you already know or at least think about the possibility that it might eventually become a stand-alone game?

Are there changes to Wild Hunt and Weather coming after the massive feedback threads you got on them?

Also, what's your take on ST and NG factions being able to take out 20+ str agile bronze units out of their hand at the last round?

Will PSN trophies be added to the game when it enters 1.0?
If so will progress made towards those in beta unlock them when it releases?

This question has been asked in a few different forms but I figured I'd try anyways -

When it comes to balancing the game, what is your team's philosophy at this stage? It seems like high level players already have their ideas on mechanics and factions in the current iteration of the game that need tuning. For example, right now Northern Realms, Nilfgaard, and the Weather system seem to be driving a lot of the discussion online, for different reasons, and whether or not that is warranted remains to be seen.

My question isn't how you are planning on solving those issues, but your overall strategy right now for changing systems in the game. In other online card games like Hearthstone, the devs are well-known for adopting a mostly hands-off policy, relying on future expansions as opportunities to balance power levels between classes and also edit the existing card pool with nerfs and buffs. Their reasoning is such so that players who have spent a large amount of money or time collecting powerful cards don't feel cheated when their best cards get nerfed out of the blue, but some would argue this contributes to longer lasting issues in the game's balance as a whole.

Looking towards the open beta and beyond, what is your personal or team philosophy on this viewpoint?

Alpro;n8686980 said:
Will we eventually get alternate game modes like arena and 2 vs 2?

We are working on additional game modes. ;)

Alpro;n8686980 said:
Are you planning on adding more factions in the future, say Ofir or Toussaint?

We are planning to add more factions in the future.

szpeniu;n8687920 said:
When are we going to see some weather changes because now the game is a weather fest (ragna and frost)

We are not completely satisfied with the way weather works now so yes, there will be some changes coming to this mechanic in the near future.

jamai36;n8688570 said:
When I first started in the open beta (love most of the changes by the way) - I was drawn to Francesca and a Mulligan deck. Over the course of the last week, my heart sank a bit when I saw there were no direct Silvers or Golds to synergize with Mulligans, only the four bronze cards I'm pretty sure. It just feels cool to work toward that big gold card that makes your deck type come together in a big way.
Why were no silvers/golds added to support this archetype? It is to my knowledge the only leader-based deck archetype that does not have a silver/gold. Also - how is the team feeling about the Mulligan decks as a whole? Do they feel strong enough?

We will be adding more cards to support all of the archetypes.

Hi, two quick questions:
1. Why does it say on Assire that she can shuffle in gold cards, when she can't?
2. Will we be getting full scrap value out of changed/nerfed/buffed cards?

I know you said you have no plans for any further progress wipe. Since it is still a possibility, if that happens and I already bought 40 kegs and opened them, will I keep my deck? or get kegs back? or a refund which it most unlikely? in case of you return kegs back, will you return all the opened kegs? or only the ones paid with real money?

Dominika.Skubida;n8704420 said:
We are not completely satisfied with the way weather works now so yes, there will be some changes coming to this mechanic in the near future.

We will be adding more cards to support all of the archetypes.

All I wanted to see, thanks.

Edit: Will you make Iorveth viable again?

Last edited:
My question is about hero cards. Are they available in kegs? I found a level 1 who had something like 6 hero cards and they absolutely wiped the floor with me.

I have a small, game mechanic questions. First of all, is it intended to not being able to unlock locked resilence? Second of all, Letho while being empowered can be still d-bombed to 1?

Hello there Dev's wondering here if you will be putting in a private match option? Cause me and my friend would like to play together without trying to find each other online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom