heads up display in CP 2077

+
The heads up display with a health bar on the body will open us totally new dialoge options.....like:

guy: "Hey girl look at my health bar"

girl: "Oh wow thats a huge health bar!"

The heads up display with a health bar on the body will open us totally new dialoge options.....like:

guy: "Hey girl look at my health bar"

girl: "Oh wow thats a huge health bar!"

Wow.... It's a good thing you have a health bar on your back, otherwise we never would have known that your arm is hanging by the elbow skin and nothing else, and that you are bleeding all over my shoes...

Well, here's my hope for either scenarios- I just want to be able to view the game world without bars or maps taking up space on my screen. So whatever it ends up being, I hope there's immersive HUD,or at least an option to toggle it.

I liked the way Mirrors Edge did it. That game had no HUD at all. And was that annoying? Hell no. T'was immersing. Only problem is Mirrors Edge mainly was about running from your foes, not confronting them. Well, sometimes, but then you had to watch out and better make that hit/kick/last bullet count otherwise t'was you who bit the dust. And we all know that's not what CP2077 is going to be about if we don't want it to.

I'm not sure about having no HUD at all in a game that also offers third person view. Could work, might not. Hm.

I liked the way Mirrors Edge did it. That game had no HUD at all. And was that annoying? Hell no. T'was immersing. Only problem is Mirrors Edge mainly was about running from your foes, not confronting them. Well, sometimes, but then you had to watch out and better make that hit/kick/last bullet count otherwise t'was you who bit the dust. And we all know that's not what CP2077 is going to be about if we don't want it to.

I'm not sure about having no HUD at all in a game that also offers third person view. Could work, might not. Hm.

The thing is, the HUD is the first indicator of what a game might be about. If you find a weapon icon, health, ammos ect, you know you are going to play a shooter. Mirrors Edge was mostly about racing and platforming and didn't need anything, yet the time trial mode had a speed indicator. That's redundant info, because those who have experienced mirror's edge gameplay should feel how fast they are going (thus it's justified only by the competitive mode).

It's like talking about the weapon animations from quake and ut games. Quake guns don't have reload animations while most of the UT guns do, hence quake guns need to be experienced to get the feel of timing shots. UT guns don't, because they provide a link between the player and the feeling of the weapon through the reload animation. Same goes for the health bar in Dead Space, except that's a diegetic element explained in the lore. It's immersive to those who know about dead space universe. Like holograms for more obvious reasons

brb

I'm not outright opposed to the idea but don't think you could include all the info you need if you were to try putting info on the character. And lets face it, the pipboy in Fallout 3 was a cool idea but painfully slow to navigate.

Haven't played FO3. I think the pipboy is mentioned in the Beyond The Hud pdf i posted some pages ago, though.
There could be many ways to put info, but most of them might end up to be diegetic

I don't totally like the pipboy. If there's going to be something like a monitor, i'd rather have it built into the character's skin (pull up your arm to view if FPP), or displayed in their vision via augmented reality, as in they look at their body and assess the damage (again, FPP). It would make sense, then, if some wounds are too grievous for the characters to mend by themselves.

For TPP, the "menu" or whatever the character accesses to view stats could be either accessed via neural link and displayed on retina, or through smartshades. In this case, I guess the game would switch to FPP when the character is viewing stats.

I also DON'T think the game should pause when the player looks at the stats.

Let's put it this way: diegetic and non diegetic elements are not in conflict and so the POV's. If i remember correctly gta4 features a cell phone in the right corner of the screen, and that sounds cool because whatever info you'll get it will still be part of the world (i.e. it's diegetic). There's no need to attach it to nico's head while driving, switching to first person. He can always get a vocal message.

Still, it's all up to what dev's want to put into the game so....idk.

I know what you mean, I wrote that from the perspective of really being an aug. Honestly, I'll be happy with just a disable HUD option.

But it would be cool to see what solution the devs come up with for immersive HUD, if they choose to go that route.

I know what you mean, I wrote that from the perspective of really being an aug. Honestly, I'll be happy with just a disable HUD option.

But it would be cool to see what solution the devs come up with for immersive HUD, if they choose to go that route.

HUD should be gained by getting some kind of eye implant or wearing glasses, helmets etc. (Both should have their upsides and downsides. And having both should give you some sort of bonus) So you start the game without any HUD. Then in the beginning of the game you get your HUD glasses.

Like this one:

Some HUD glasses and implants can give you more detailed information about whats happening in your body (Like "A" model HUD glasses can give you information about your health and maybe your ammo, but "B" model is the better model, so it will give you information about weapons condition, information about enemies health etc.

And the implant should be able to do much more than that. It should show everything glasses capable of and should show you, where you are hurt, it should show you a minimap, while a high level implant can give you information about where the enemies are attacking from. (Like in Fallout 3 HUD) But the real diagnostic monitor should be something like a touchpad and both the implant and the glasses should be connected to that.

This system would work well enough in First Person mode, but i'm not sure how well it would look/work in Third Person.

Woah, that is awesome information. Thanks for sharing! So this means that if someone doesn't get the shades or implant, then no HUD? That's a pretty good option :D I hope the game is like this.

Let's put it this way: diegetic and non diegetic elements are not in conflict and so the POV's. If i remember correctly gta4 features a cell phone in the right corner of the screen, and that sounds cool because whatever info you'll get it will still be part of the world (i.e. it's diegetic). There's no need to attach it to nico's head while driving, switching to first person. He can always get a vocal message.

Still, it's all up to what dev's want to put into the game so....idk.

This! If you looked at the screen as a whole, it wouldn't make sense. But from a player's perspective it works. You need your attention drawn to an item, in this case a phone, that at normal scale and perspective (and other obstacles) you couldn't normally. But you push the button and you see the phone popping up in a corner and Niko's animation reacting to it. Your attention can be drawn to either part of the image in a non-stressful manner. This might also be true with extrapolating FPP HUD to the TPP. Yes, you are seeing yourself and you are seeing the HUD that should be displayed in your retina, but you're out of your character's body anyway and it doesn't screw up your immersion. That might be because it simulates a certain degree of proprioception these players think they're lacking when they play in FPP, they are aware of their body, their posture, clothing...

I love it when in Stand Alone Complex they put you in the point of view of a certain character and you saw the augmented reality data disks floating... but this interface first made an appearance in Manmachine Interface where you always saw the body of the person geting this information (the panel shows an entirely virtual space, but it also happens in transitions and in the real world) and it never bothered me.

Top Bottom