Honest expectations?

+

My expectation of the experience I'm going to get from Cyberpunk 2077 is that...

• ...it's going to be bad, all things considered. Not my mug of beer.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
So, I was just thinking about this. I have already pre-ordered and will play the game and most likely be happy with it. However, I have noticed and heard many times this is not your dad's Skyrim, meaning it's dark, it's a messed up world now, and you're going to have to make many tough decisions that won't have happy endings. A real dog eat dog world.
IRL I am a nice guy and when I play video games I normally tend to be a nice character, helping the NPC, saving people when I can, that kind of stuff. Don't get me wrong, I do like to kill bandits and slaying the dragon and I do love back stabbing cutthroat. But only to people that deserve it.
So my concern is will I be able to play a "Nice Guy" / hero in the game or am I going to be relegated to being a Ahole. I know there will be moments of happiness (scenes with Jackie and such). But over all, is this just going to be a, do for yourself or die game?

So, I was just thinking about this. I have already pre-ordered and will play the game and most likely be happy with it. However, I have noticed and heard many times this is not your dad's Skyrim, meaning it's dark, it's a messed up world now, and you're going to have to make many tough decisions that won't have happy endings. A real dog eat dog world.
IRL I am a nice guy and when I play video games I normally tend to be a nice character, helping the NPC, saving people when I can, that kind of stuff. Don't get me wrong, I do like to kill bandits and slaying the dragon and I do love back stabbing cutthroat. But only to people that deserve it.
So my concern is will I be able to play a "Nice Guy" / hero in the game or am I going to be relegated to being a Ahole. I know there will be moments of happiness (scenes with Jackie and such). But over all, is this just going to be a, do for yourself or die game?

Having at least one "good" ending in a game is usually considered "fun" for most people, so my guess is that there will at least have one "good" ending available, even if not forcibly easy to do, so most people will be happy with it.

My honest expectations:

Story/writing - 10/10
Graphics - 9/10
Dialogues - 9/10
FPP mechanics(walking, running, jumping etc) - 6/10
Shooting mechanics - 6/10
Driving - 5/10
Animations - 7/10
User interface design - 6/10
User experience(how smooth or clunky the UI will be to use by the player) - 6/10
Character creator - 7/10
RPG systems(skills/perks/progression system etc) - 7/10
RPG mechanics(how systems affect gameplay & story) - 7/10
Sound & music - 9/10

Overall I expect a 8/10 game, anything above that will be a nice surprise.

Having at least one "good" ending in a game is usually considered "fun"
Clarify please, what do you mean at least one "good" ending ? In my post, when I said "Won't have happy endings." I was speaking of you're tasks or quests not having a happy ending, maybe successful but at what cost. You know like, You must go get the thing and take it to this person and get eddys for it. In doing so you kill bunch of people and steal the only thing of value from some old lady that has nothing else. You can successfully complete the mission (a good ending) but you rob steal and kill to do so.

I was not talking about a "good" ending of the game, if that's what you are speaking of.

Clarify please, what do you mean at least one "good" ending ? In my post, when I said "Won't have happy endings." I was speaking of you're tasks or quests not having a happy ending, maybe successful but at what cost. You know like, You must go get the thing and take it to this person and get eddys for it. In doing so you kill bunch of people and steal the only thing of value from some old lady that has nothing else. You can successfully complete the mission (a good ending) but you rob steal and kill to do so.

I was not talking about a "good" ending of the game, if that's what you are speaking of.

Sorry, as you said I have misread you.

As for the possibility to play as a nice guy, it should be possible considering about how much they insisted on that aspect of RPG. I even read somewhere that they even took onto account players voluntarily failing quests in creative ways, that's how far they say they got for quest design, so playing the good guy should be possible, even if probably not rewarding gameplay wise (because of the dark universe).

Hello there.

When I think about games that have gave me an incredible experience, on day one purchase I always go back to the dates when I bought games such as these...

24 December of 2016 Dying Light Enhanced Edition. // 1 July of 2017 The Witcher Enhanced Edition and Witcher 2. // 5 July of 2017 The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt Game of the Year Edition. // 25 December of 2017 Tomb Raider GOTY Edition and Rise of the Tomb Raider GOTY Edition. // 23 September 2019 Shadow of Tomb Raider.

These have been the games that I have bought that all have a important thing in common. Being Enhanced or Game of Year Editions. I think that is a good trend to follow if some would like to experience the ultimate experience as intended or how ever you see buying games that are finished.

While the game seem so rare, nice and really unique out of everything that has been out since, there hasn't been a single strong reason to do it regardless of the eye candy and how so inviting it is. Even that it is not a strong of a reason to really go and purchase it right now. Whether or not the game come outs flawlessly, remains to be seen. But yeah, for me at least that is my way to go about buying a game. Just wait and see.

Best regards.

You're probably too used to fantasy and story relying on duality (good vs evil).

Cyberpunk is a more complicated world, just like our, excepted for some exception, there are no good or bad person, it's only a matter of perspective.

You'll try to be a "good guy", doing your job, but probably the decision you'll make will have bad consequences.

Let's say, from your perspective, as an example, you'll play a "good" guy, you'll have a job in a shitty part of Night City, you'll encounter a gang (you're an intruder so they come to see what's up), probably they have some shady business to do, not really a good guy thing, right?

Things goes bad, guns are out, you shoot your way, and execute the leader of that gang.

I guess the NCPD would gives you a medal.

Now, little did you know that, that gang used to be the "police" in that shitty part of the city, they used to do some shaddy business there to pay for medical supply and basic stuff for their people (school furniture?).
They just looked bad for the sakes of pushing people away.

Now, the gang is almost gone, the district crumbled into violence and soon a corporation will buy the land and kick everyone out.

That's basically how it plays out, no good guy or bad guy, only a matter of perspective.

Corporation ? Sure, they could be seen as the bad guy.
But frankly? Aside from the leaders, those towers, given the shit world it is, are filled of people just doing their job, just like us everyday, only to be able to get away with it.

It's a more complex and dense world than basic good guy vs bad guy, which is why, IMO, it makes it more interesting.

Some people would call Johnny Silverhand a dangerous anarchist, but he's just a response to the brutality of corporations, nobody has any good point in that world, it's just chaos and trying to make the less mess possible.

A good choice may be bad and vice versa, it makes you more implicated in it, cause everything matters.

That's basically how it plays out, no good guy or bad guy, only a matter of perspective.

yea Something like that, no clear cut or even semi-clear cut Good or Evil is what I am afraid of. Of course everything is a "point of view".

I don't know, I just have this feeling, it's going to be a good game as video games go, but I am just going to be torn. Guess I will have to work on my dark side.

I held off playing Witcher 3 for 4 years because I feared it could never live up to the hype. In truth it ended up exceeding the hype for me.

However, that experience has taught me the value of tempering expectations when going into a super-hyped game. I think CP2077 will be a very good game.....but I am not expecting it to be the most awesome thing of all time. Though maybe it will surprise me, as Witcher 3 did.

Expecting a 10/10 sound track,(I think its going to sneak up on most people and just hit the ball out of the park) and enviroments. Expecting pretty good story. Not sure what to expect of guns/combat honestly, but it looks good. Expecting actual consequence to choice.

It will be like the Witcher 3.

Narratively it will probably be great - possibly with all sorts of branching paths.

Gameplay it will be very "standard" if not a little chunky (i.e. not imaginative nor well tuned) - as it's not really CDPR's strong suit / focus.

I'm expecting to be amazed in some areas and disappointed in others. Just trying to manage my own expectations and not be influenced by all the hype.
I will be using The Witcher 3 as a benchmark however, and I do expect CP2077 to meet that at a minimum.

I think I'd be happy just driving / walking around aimlessly in a virtual cyberpunk world... So as long as it nails the atmosphere my brain will probably think this game is awesome.

So, write down what you honestly think you are going to get from game as a wholesome experience.

Based on what we know so far... What do you think will be good, what do you think will be bad, what do you think will be lukewarm or indifferent? What you love, what you hate? What do you think your experience will be like with the aforementioned matters in mind?

I love the setting, the clothing, the fashion and the in depth world building. The city, the vehicles and the NPC's are highly detailed and you can tell a lot of love went into this project.

What I think will be bad (what I think, my opinion only) I won't have the freedoms I randomly post about and I will be disappointed with how my character looks. I have yet to see long hair implemented in game, further, why the ugly face choices (for women at creation), I don't get it. I want to be stunning, devastating, agonizingly beautiful.

I believe the story and story choices will drag me in, but it will be the modding community (once again) who will bring me the character I actually want to play.

Long years of being burned by game expectations has dampened my tendency toward overhyping myself for any game so I merely voted that it'll be a good game. Personally the 1st person aspect is not my "mug of beer" but I'll just focus on gunplay on easy and mow through enemies to get to the story/RPG elements...feeling confident I'll get my 60-70$ worth out of it. I'll pick up a copy week 1 or 2 baring horrid reviews.

I think the reception will be very similar to RDR 2 in a sense that it will get alot of top scores from reviewers but there will be very loud gamers who will be very critical and disappointed by it it mainly due to high expectations ,seriously Cdpr can literally make the greatest game and people WILL be disappointed the hype is just too much i even know people who hated the Witcher 3 are now hyped for it with that said there are few key design decisions im very worried about.

-Shoehorning youtubers and internet celebrities in the game is a very bad design choice ,it feels that Cdpr is now pandering to these people as a poor marketing strategy i really hope its kept to a minimum and that there aren't side quests or content revolving around them.
-Melee combat looks dreadful i hope they fixed it.
-According to previews bounty hunts seem like generic kill quests a far cry of what contracts in the witcher 3 was i hope thats not the case.
-The story is way too fast paced ,according to skill up
and many other previews ,they felt its very overwhelming ,which is kind of bad storytelling ,Cdpr did a solid job introducing to the witcher world i really dont know why they are struggling here i really hope this is part of the design and not them trying to rush the story because its short or something
-This might be minor but Cdpr focusing on replay value is something that sounds good on paper but they did it with the witcher 2 and it was poorly executed ,i hope that replay value does not come at the expense of the first playthrough.

Other than that everything seems to be good for me i really hope Cdpr make the best game they can

I'm really looking forward to this game, it will be an RPG like no other so far. I'm also looking forward to DLC's.

-The story is way too fast paced ,according to skill up

That doesn't exist in my book, so it's a great news.:ok:
I'm totally fond of the original Final Fantasy VII scenario density and cannot understand how some peoples prefer the new 30 hours Midgar to the old 5 hours one.

-This might be minor but Cdpr focusing on replay value is something that sounds good on paper but they did it with the witcher 2 and it was poorly executed ,i hope that replay value does not come at the expense of the first playthrough.

Yep. To me replay value comes from gameplay builds, and from the few we saw I don't thinks there will be enough incentive to play it again and again. Actions games aren't really the best at delivering builds different enough to play games again anyway.

Last edited:
Top Bottom