How big?

+
And there's a lot of cities too?
Lots. They said there are towns throughout the open-world that are the size of Flotsam and Vergen from TW2. There are also giant metropolises like Novigrad and Oxenfurt. I think they said Novigrad is the largest city ever made in an open-world RPG.

I am in no way implying the the Witcher 3 failed to make a good game I am only saying how big it is really isn't as important as some people are making it.
I totally agree. But you know --PRE-RELEASE HYPERBOLE!!!!

It will be smaller then GTA V's map, that can be said for certain. Don't forget, that you can drive or even FLY over that map, while in TW2 you move much slower.

The maps seem to be more than large enough though, apart from the fact that, at least in this case, size isn't everything.

It will be smaller then GTA V's map, that can be said for certain. Don't forget, that you can drive or even FLY over that map, while in TW2 you move much slower.

The maps seem to be more than large enough though, apart from the fact that, at least in this case, size isn't everything.

Actually there is a thread on the forums that shows that the map is actually BIGGER than GTA V's map. I'll see if I can find the thread with the link

[edit] Found it.http://gamingbolt.com/witcher-3-map...-4-new-screens-show-different-visual-settings

According to this article the map is 1.5 times as big as GTA 5.

Last edited:
Very funny, but no real answer.

What do you mean it isn't a real answer? They take the area in square Km of each map and used maths to determine what the ratio of the two maps in relation to each other. There is no other way to accurately compare the two. This is the answer to your question if that isn't what you want to know then you need to ask a better question.

Last edited:
And how would you even know, how large "one km²" actually is on the map, if you don't even have the game or any way to measure it?

And how would you even know, how large "one km²" actually is on the map, if you don't even have the game or any way to measure it?

You are aware that the game was released to the press early are you not? They have the game. Second you do know that one of the first things maths was used for was to measure things right? There will be known sizes of things like the size of an avatar. with maths you can take a know length and use it to determine an unknown length using trigonometry. Seriously.

The area of gaming space is not an unknowable quantity. I am surprised you think it is.

In all honesty I thought you were joking when you asked how would they compare the two so I was joking when I gave you the obvious answer and i was pretty sure you were still joking when you said very funny and continued the joke. I honestly had no idea you didn't know that with maths you can take and known quantity and use it to find an unknown quantity.

If i offended I apologize.

Last edited:
You are aware that the game was released to the press early are you not? They have the game. Second you do know that one of the first things maths was used for was to measure things right? There will be known sizes of things like the size of an avatar. with maths you can take a know length and use it to determine an unknown length using trigonometry. Seriously.

The area of gaming space is not an unknowable quantity. I am surprised you think it is.

In all honesty I thought you were joking when you asked how would they compare the two so I was joking when I gave you the obvious answer and i was pretty sure you were still joking when you said very funny and continued the joke. I honestly had no idea you didn't know that with maths you can take and known quantity and use it to find an unknown quantity.

If i offended I apologize.

Without looking into an editor, you don't really know how large an area is and even then it is only an estimation, since there is nothing like a "real" meter in a game, you can only define a length as a meter.

I would still like to see this comparison, because it sounds like bs to be honest. Maybe if you add all the water areas between the Skellige islands as well and then compare that to GTA V's land mass. It takes like 10-15 minutes in GTA V to drive from the south to the north with like 80 miles per hour. So if TW3 is even larger, how long is it supposed to take from one end to the other end of the larger map when you walk or ride with like 10-15 miles per hour on average?

Ehm... you don't know how tall Geralt, Michael, Trevor or Franklin are compared to eachother. Even the smallest mistake can lead to big differences. It's all speculation and guess work. You'll have to excuse me if I'm a bit skeptical regarding NeoGaf's "research".

Without looking into an editor, you don't really know how large an area is and even then it is only an estimation, since there is nothing like a "real" meter in a game, you can only define a length as a meter.

I would still like to see this comparison, because it sounds like bs to be honest. Maybe if you add all the water areas between the Skellige islands as well and then compare that to GTA V's land mass. It takes like 10-15 minutes in GTA V to drive from the south to the north with like 80 miles per hour. So if TW3 is even larger, how long is it supposed to take from one end to the other end of the larger map when you walk or ride with like 10-15 miles per hour on average?

Why you give me wrong info about smaller than V?

If you know the height of a man you can determine his gait. With that you can measure out accurately a distance. With that distance you can measure second distance and with that new distance a third and pretty soon you have the area of the map. It is not my fault you have no clue how maths works and think its BS simply because you don't understand it. Maths is the bedrock of our understanding of the universe, your disbelief in its power doesn't in fact make it unreal.

If you don't believe the man's height doesn't work, then you can take what is the average height of a door frame? What is the average length of a cart? What is the average height of a horse? What is the length of a dagger what is the length of a sword. All you have to do is find one known object and compare it to an unknown as soon as you do that you have solved the size problem. I am rather shocked people don't understand how maths works and what it can do.

Last edited:
If you know the height of a man you can determine his gait. With that you can measure out accurately a distance. With that distance you can measure second distance and with that new distance a third and pretty soon you have the area of the map. It is not my fault you have no clue how maths works and think its BS simply because you don't understand it. Maths is the bedrock of our understanding of the universe, your disbelief in its power doesn't in fact make it unreal.

a) you don't have the exact height of a man in the game.

b) it is still a virtual world without real measures. It is in the hand of the developer to make the world feel right and give it the right proportions.

And I know how it works in the real live, but that is not how it works in a virtual game. So were are the comparisons of those maps? I also doubt, that any reviewer actually tried to exactly measure the size of the map, btw.

a) you don't have the exact height of a man in the game.

b) it is still a virtual world without real measures. It is in the hand of the developer to make the world feel right and give it the right proportions.

And I know how it works in the real live, but that is not how it works in a virtual game. So were are the comparisons of those maps? I also doubt, that any reviewer actually tried to exactly measure the size of the map, btw.

Okay do you understand the a plank of wood comes in uniform sizes? That you can look at a piece of wood and gauge its size by it relationship to the size of an adult. So if the boards width is X you can use that as an in game representation of what x measurement looks like in game from there you can get what the representation of any size. There are other ways you can do this this is just the third example, i have given you.

If there is any item of inventory that has its width or length given in its description you now have a known measurement that has a known representation of said measurement in the game.

And yes these are estimations but they are accurate estimations that are used in science all the time. All you need is an estimated value to compare the area of two countries or two houses or two maps. This is really basic maths here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom