How do you fight higher level monsters? Here's a video I recorded during my gameplay. :)

+
The rune is very effective than Igni in this situatioin. I put 3 great runes with 15% chance to cause burning.

I have loaded the level 18 geralt where I fight the grave hag in the video. I'll record a 5 minute video of the grave hag just using Igni. hehe. Watch how she will not burn at all.

I believe you when you say she will not burn with Igni. But that likely has to do with your setup/build than Igni itself. I have a bunch of plans for my build, but I'd like to try it out first before sharing.

My Igni works with other necrophages just not with this Grave Hag. You can only increase the chance to apply burn with Igni with the last tier which is the Pyromaniac. There are monsters that are not really vulnarable with Igni.

Yeah, there are some monsters like the Elementals, Wraiths etc that Igni doesn't work against. But that's why my build will have ways to deal with them. For everything else tho, Igni :D

yo, does anyone know where I could find some high level enemies? 30+ or even higher if there is any, cause im lvl 35 right now. the ones I find are only max lvl 30 and thats to easy on death march when Im higher lvl.

Signs don't wwork well on higher levels. At all. Tested, died.

If the combat is not to difficult, Death March. The enemy hits much harder. Actually being swiped in the back by a sword can now kill you.

Yeah, enemies sure do hit a lot harder. I'm in the process of doing a Death March playthrough, i'm level 15 and the following happened to me today...I was going towards an objective and the path I took led me too close to a level 24 griffin it got angry at me and started chasing me all over the place. My attempt to escape it failed when the griffin landed directly on top of me as I was running. *Reload last checkpoint* sorry Geralt :\

---------- Updated at 03:39 PM ----------

yo, does anyone know where I could find some high level enemies? 30+ or even higher if there is any, cause im lvl 35 right now. the ones I find are only max lvl 30 and thats to easy on death march when Im higher lvl.

Have you done the Missing Miners contract? The enemy in that hits like a truck full of elephants lol. I was doing the contract on my first save which i'm level 36 on, I have all the mastercrafted feline gear & my first attempt at fighting it lasted about 2 seconds.

Yeah, enemies sure do hit a lot harder. I'm in the process of doing a Death March playthrough, i'm level 15 and the following happened to me today...I was going towards an objective and the path I took led me too close to a level 24 griffin it got angry at me and started chasing me all over the place. My attempt to escape it failed when the griffin landed directly on top of me as I was running. *Reload last checkpoint* sorry Geralt :\

Have you done the Missing Miners contract? The enemy in that hits like a truck full of elephants lol. I was doing the contract on my first save which i'm level 36 on, I have all the mastercrafted feline gear & my first attempt at fighting it lasted about 2 seconds.

I am now level 20 and just switched to Death March from from Blood and Broken Bones. I can hardly tell the difference from Blood and Broken Bones. Let's see.

---------- Updated at 09:32 PM ----------

I believe you when you say she will not burn with Igni. But that likely has to do with your setup/build than Igni itself. I have a bunch of plans for my build, but I'd like to try it out first before sharing.
You doing it WAY to complicated, you just need igni, let him burn, igni, let him burn - DONE

Here I recorded a demonstration and just used Igni the whole time. It doesn't burn her. The reason why I was using Quen and Yrden in the OP.

Last edited:
Its not a smart idea to try to kill way higher level mobs than you since the item level of the drops will scale to your level not the mobs, so you are getting screwed in the gear that will drop

I think the point is if we can beat the higher level mobs at such a low level with low level gear Do I really care about the item drop scaling to my level? I mean why would I need the higher level piece of gear then?

You know what's funny? I just found out this hag is 28lvl.
I've killed her on DM when I was 12. And what's funnier I don't think it's such an amazing achievment.
30 minutes of dodging very predictable moves with quen wasn't even rewarding for me.
It's actually very weird seeing people brag about killing 10lvl+ monsters.

I think the point is if we can beat the higher level mobs at such a low level with low level gear Do I really care about the item drop scaling to my level? I mean why would I need the higher level piece of gear then?

Because while its possible to beat a higher level mob being much loser, it will take like 10-15 minutes to beat it, where it should only take 1-3 if you were at the current level.

This video further high lights the dodgy aggro mechanics two or three times you lost aggro just by rolling away. too easy!

Have you done the Missing Miners contract? The enemy in that hits like a truck full of elephants lol. I was doing the contract on my first save which i'm level 36 on, I have all the mastercrafted feline gear & my first attempt at fighting it lasted about 2 seconds.[/QUOTE]

Yupe, done and done, yeah he hit like a truck but it was over even before it began :D I have the mastercrafted bear ursine armour and mastercrafted ursine silver sword and steel so i pretty much just crush anything in my way now :/

This video further high lights the dodgy aggro mechanics two or three times you lost aggro just by rolling away. too easy!

I agree 100%. The combat is just meh.

There is no great need to do much else other dodge and roll and use quen. Yeah could we wait to get to level parity with the monster and defeat it much quicker sure. That is still missing the point. The point is that Monster has a sign next to its name that has a skull and crossbones and the game guide tells us that means we have no chance. Well how in the hell are we beating monsters 10+ levels above us. I could understand 5 levels, but +10.

Its not bragging about that you are able to do it, so much as criticizing the game for why the hell you are able to do it. We are playing on the hardest difficulties and that means the game should be a challenge but the AI is so bad its not providing a challenge. That is criticism not bragging.

Because while its possible to beat a higher level mob being much loser, it will take like 10-15 minutes to beat it, where it should only take 1-3 if you were at the current level.

That's correct. It took me 3 minutes to kill the hag at level 18. Without the help of the burning runes in my sword it would have taken longer since she was not burning with Igni signs.

---------- Updated at 06:40 AM ----------

I agree 100%. The combat is just meh.

There is no great need to do much else other dodge and roll and use quen. Yeah could we wait to get to level parity with the monster and defeat it much quicker sure. That is still missing the point. The point is that Monster has a sign next to its name that has a skull and crossbones and the game guide tells us that means we have no chance. Well how in the hell are we beating monsters 10+ levels above us. I could understand 5 levels, but +10.

Its not bragging about that you are able to do it, so much as criticizing the game for why the hell you are able to do it. We are playing on the hardest difficulties and that means the game should be a challenge but the AI is so bad its not providing a challenge. That is criticism not bragging.

I remember during the Wandering in the Dark Quest I was level 4. The required level for the quest was level 6. It took me several tries to fight the golem in one of the rooms where I have nowhere to run to recover HP until I decided to level up more and just come back for the quest. The gap there was just 2 levels and I can't keep up with the golem. I ran out of potions and healing items.

In open grounds like this, you can run around and heal when you are running out of HP. That is why you can beat higher level monsters. If you try to beat the monster at a much lower level in the Oxenfurt Drunk, you have nowhere t run actually. You jump into a small house and there is no way out. It took me several tries since I am only 2 hits from full hp to death. There are times the vampire just ran around the corner and go invi. In Death March I don't know if the AI behaves the same but it was already hard making me load a save several times.

You deal quite the damage with your sword.
I think the higher you are in level the easier it becomes beating monsters even if they are 5 - 10 levels above you.
It just comes with the added skills, more powerful potions and better gear.

Thanks. I think it is the best silver sword I got so far. I was not yet on Skellige. I was enjoying Novigrad. If you will notice, the higher damage comes from the burn damage actually and is a big factor finishing the hag in 3 minutes. Without that it would've been a longer fight.

---------- Updated at 07:27 AM ----------

I think the aggro is lost because they don't really chase you when guarding a treasure or a nest in a certain spot. There are times the hag waves at me to come back to her spot seen in my second video demonstrating the igni at 1:07 as she is programmed not to go far from the spot. It is noticeable. Unlike other fights that are close quartered combat like the Golem in Wandering in the Dark.

Fights are not so easy for me with higher level mobs since I still need to come closer to slash and damage the enemy. There is always a chance I would be killed in close quarters. I was only able to slash the hag up close when she was preoccupied burning.

So I would say the skull sign is still correct considering the monster can really do lethal damage to Geralt letting me load saves multiple times before finally killing a monster at higher level. it is up to us killing a monster for 1 minute or over 15 minutes. Your gear and how you manage your ability points is also a big factor.

Last edited:
I did that Basilisk near oxenfurt that guards a treasure next to a river bank. I was level 17 at the time, the basilisk was level "??", which seems to be at least 15 levels higher than geralt. Took me several attempts and my kill was 30 minutes of constant fighting, pinching it to death with my devastating 50 damage blows.
Felt very good, the treasure was crap though.

Before killing it, I had to ragequit once, when I had it down to about 5% and as I cycled through my food, the game swapped the talent reset potion into that slot, which made me reset my talents mid combat. Of course I died and went mental.

I did that Basilisk near oxenfurt that guards a treasure next to a river bank. I was level 17 at the time, the basilisk was level "??", which seems to be at least 15 levels higher than geralt. Took me several attempts and my kill was 30 minutes of constant fighting, pinching it to death with my devastating 50 damage blows.
Felt very good, the treasure was crap though.

Before killing it, I had to ragequit once, when I had it down to about 5% and as I cycled through my food, the game swapped the talent reset potion into that slot, which made me reset my talents mid combat. Of course I died and went mental.

lol. happens to me as well. sometimes there is just 1 more hit to go and the monster will be dead but still monster claws me to death and frustrating.

I remember during the Wandering in the Dark Quest I was level 4. The required level for the quest was level 6. It took me several tries to fight the golem in one of the rooms where I have nowhere to run to recover HP until I decided to level up more and just come back for the quest. The gap there was just 2 levels and I can't keep up with the golem. I ran out of potions and healing items.

In open grounds like this, you can run around and heal when you are running out of HP. That is why you can beat higher level monsters. If you try to beat the monster at a much lower level in the Oxenfurt Drunk, you have nowhere t run actually. You jump into a small house and there is no way out. It took me several tries since I am only 2 hits from full hp to death. There are times the vampire just ran around the corner and go invi. In Death March I don't know if the AI behaves the same but it was already hard making me load a save several times.

I do not think this is the case, perfect Examples are the Wyvernto the north in Crows Perch, The Golem in Wandering in the Dark and the Drunk in Oxenfurt. You do not need to heal. The game AI consistently breaks itself. Try luring any monster into the corner and then roll dodging out of the corner. I can almost guarantee it will get stuck in the corner. I have vids of all of them because it is seriously that broken. Eating meals in battle aside it comes down to hit boxes, and bad AI. Any wyvern or creature that looks like a retexture wyvern, ie griffin, forktail and so forth has the same fight mechanic and simply sticking to its side while attacking and recasting quen will keep you safe from danger.

The only enemy I have run into was an Earth Elemental in The Mire or Crookback Bog, It just was not worth it to fight him because I was only chipping for 5 or 11 dmg on crits. That was goign to be a worthless battle. Especially given he would have probably dropped some crap loot anyway since the loot system in this game is weird.

The time he went invisible, it took too long for the vampire to move away from the corner in the Oxenfurt Drunk quest until I provoked him. I also have a video of that. IT didn't happen in the first fights where I died several times though.

The time he went invisible, it took too long for the vampire to move away from the corner in the Oxenfurt Drunk quest until I provoked him. I also have a video of that. IT didn't happen in the first fights where I died several times though.

Yeah its weird how somethings seemed locked like they will happen no matter what while others will jump out, it just points to how its really wonky AI. I would have expected more skill sets of each monster than just three. It seems the variety of moves is highly limited to just three which makes pattern recognition really easy.

Top Bottom