I LOVE IT vs I HATE IT

+
I don't know yet. I just bought the game. I downloaded the patch which is 322mb big. But, from the reviews, I am very much looking forward to playing it.

OK - I admit I may not be a dedicated gamer but I do like to "lose" myself in a game occassionally and this game totally entralled me for the first 4 chapters. It captivated and encouraged me to want to drop everything and keep on playing. The multiple storylines and side quests were great;and I have to admit, being a bit of a 'videophile' that the rendering was exceptional, however when I got to chapter 5 and the epilogue I was very disappointed. It reminded me of those books you read where the author runs out of "oomph" and needs to wrap things up quickly. As well as that it seemed to me that no matter what I did or didn't do at the end I couldn't be killed. I know that I was playing at a novice level but I still expected more of a challange. I will play at a higher level in the future, but I just wish I wanted to do that immediately. I would love to see expansion options available in the near future.

OliverReed said:
I LOVE it!!In fact, I registered with this forum just to say how much I'm enjoying playing it.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I agree, in first i registered only to tell you how you do a BIG unbelievable job.Thank you Poland, you have taken your time to make the game and I think we are all happy !Enjoy :D

Hey guys,I recently joined this forum and just wanted to say to the moderators/developers of this game that this game has offered one of the best RPG experience I had for last few years. Before this game, I was infatuated with Baldurs Gate II with various mods (ascension and tactics, anyone? :D), and I was constantly disappointed by a new RPG game that fell short of...well, a lot of everything. The Witcher, I think, does a wonderful job of reminding as gamers why we play RPG: consequence of my choice, completely captivating story, interesting character development. I wish the ending had a little more to offer about what happens with your final choice in personal life (Triss, Shani, etc), but overall, I think the game was superb in meeting the classic expectation of RPG. And what the game did with new graphics was just awesome. The fighting sequence and the chaining attacks of Geralt's sword play was nothing like anything I have seen in most of RPGs, where I just click the enemy and watch my character kill it. I mean, I felt like I was fighting seriously, and it sure pumped up the adrenaline level. So far, I played and beat the game twice. First on the medium, and then on the hard difficulty. Now, consider this as my tough love, but I do have to make one criticism for the constructive purpose: the difficulty of the monsters. Often, in RPG games, tough bosses are either 1. extremely hard to kill 2. extremely powerful that they can kill me easily 3. both of the above. However, in this game, monsters and bosses in general proved to be lacking. Maybe its just us veterans of RPG series, but by ACT V, I think most of players have their Geralt built up so powerful that they can handle just about anything. In the whole game experience, I only had to reload several times to beat Archespore in ACT II, but afterwards, the fights were too smooth. I never felt challenged with Swallow and good sword chaining attacks. Although it is fun to watch your enemy falling at your might :evil:, in ACT 5 and epilogue, even trophy monsters and bosses fell after one full chaining (or less...) of my sword attack. I mean, I want to cut them and hit them more :evil:. Perhaps in EE, more monsters at late ACTs could be designed that are optional, but also challenging and really menacing for a fight.Also, the game is quite demanding on the system. I understand that this is necessary to make the visuals great to a certain extent, but I think it can be overblown at certain times. I wonder whether you could lessen the load for EE.Regardless, this is a great game. Just as a sidenote, I just bought and played oblivion for the first two hours, and now I am even more certain that the Witcher is a great game. I think the Witcher raised my expectation bar very high for a good RPG game. Sure, it is just my opinion, and Oblivion seems to offer a great graphics. But it doesn't even hook me to want to play the game like the Witcher. Very uninteresting story too, so far...we will see. Ironically, I SHOULD be playing Oblivion more now since I just bought the game, but I think I am gonna just play the witcher again for the third time to see the Order ending. Happy gaming for everyone!

FadeAway said:
Regardless, this is a great game. Just as a sidenote, I just bought and played oblivion for the first two hours, and now I am even more certain that the Witcher is a great game. I think the Witcher raised my expectation bar very high for a good RPG game. Sure, it is just my opinion, and Oblivion seems to offer a great graphics. But it doesn't even hook me to want to play the game like the Witcher. Very uninteresting story too, so far...we will see. Ironically, I SHOULD be playing Oblivion more now since I just bought the game, but I think I am gonna just play the witcher again for the third time to see the Order ending. Happy gaming for everyone!
I think they're both great games.Give Oblivion another try sometime when you feel like a break from Witchering, it gets a lot more fun than the first two hours.That being said I haven't played Oblivion since I got TW but I'm more the play it to death, then move on to next game type.Got my moneys worth from both already. :)

I just love it. The best part was when I got the new armor [the legendary one], I was just shocked by how cool yet "fatter" Geralt looks in it, it took me like 3 minutes to clam myself after I finally go something that looks different. Then, sadly, I realized that I nearly finished the game, so I cant show off my new armor. sad face.The real reason I love it is because its good, and it have sex card, and you can drink beer, and gambling, and cursing, and such stuff that I cant actually do in my real life beacuse I'm a geek [which you probably noticed by now].

Don't forget about getting stopped dead in your tracks by a 2 inch board while you are trying to fight about 10 guys, or being in the cult of the Lionhead spider - just got your satchel full of good loot - then turn around & the game #@$#@$# crashes! (v1.3... I could go all day ranting - but the base game is good)

Well, this isn't a steady state as we are told to recieve a relief with the Enhanced Edtion. So don't waste your valuable playing energy on getting angry ;)

I love it, ive played hundred of games, fps, rpg, adventure, strategy, sports, and The Witcher was the most enjoyable and immersive game ive played.

so what will we get with enhanced edition? better graphics, new features, but same story and places.it would be better if they just made the witcher 2 with all the new places and a new story, because enhanced edition won't be so enjoyable if you finished the old version.

This is what you get with the Enhanced Edition. I'm sure you will enjoy it a lot... just the idea of a new filter inventory system makes me happy, new NPC models, more stability, etc.... :)I don't know wheterf there is a Witcher 2 already in the works but at any rate it will take much longer until it's finished, so instead with the EE (plus expecting mods from the DJinni editor) it cuts the time short.

The Witcher truly a breath of fresh air for the fantasy genre. The presence of a story line and enviorment that captures your interest to me is what gives the game so much flavor. The engaging story-line and enviorment does make the game's bugs (which all games suffer from unfortunetly) much more tolerable at least for me. They are annoying at times, the crashes in particular. But some of the games story material is interesting enough to make want to see where it goes so I reboot and press on, this is more then I can say for many of the more recent RPG's (remaining nameless 8) ) which contain mostly a trademark name, some good graphics, and game play but no actual original story line that keeps you interested beyond the quest to quest cycle of the game. It was interesting enough for me to buy the book and really enjoy it so I have to thank you guys for putting out a game that put me on the path to some decent reading that up to now I had never heard of. Hope to see this game continue to be supported so well and future success that we can all enjoy.

fpg909 said:
the game's bugs (which all games suffer from unfortunetly) much more tolerable at least for me. They are annoying at times, the crashes in particular.
Just patch it. At 1.3, haven't experienced a single crash so far. And most of the bugs are dealt with.

Well, I didn't expect it to play too smoothly, considering I have just a little over the minimum req's. But the thing is, I've spent more time trying to get it to run than I have playing. I feel like I payed eighty bucks to be a beta tester. The dialogue / voice acting ranges from stilted to abominable. Extra gameplay time has clearly been added by getting you to run back and forth from NPC to NPC. Combat is little more than 'click at the right time every few seconds'. The inventory system would benefit from some sort of sorting system; as it is, I spend five minutes just getting my items arranged somewhat categorically so I can find whatever the hell i'm looking for.But the worst thing is, for all its flaws, only a Crash to Desktop drags me away. Lucky there's lots of those... So I guess I love it...

I belive it's a great game especially given the excellently presented story based of the polish writers books. the game strengts as i see it are a original gameplay system that emphasises both the rpg element and action style play. Compared to let's say for example oblivion that is also a outstanding rpg i think the withcer are far more enjoyable thx to the cinematic feeling and a more down to earth atmoshpere. Oblivion has much more replayability then witcher and therefor wins in the longer run but the witcher also has alot more potential then oblivion. My opinion is that witcher is not a complete game rather a display of what is coming in the future and considering that one sees that it was produced very well, lacking little here and there but overall the most enjoyable game for years definately worth the expensive price ;D

@interesting.dan Do you have the latest patch 1.3? Which should free you from a few glitches. Chaotic inventory problem will be revamped in the Enhanced Edition. And talking tooo much to different poeple and continuously running from NPC A to NPC B to deliver goods to NPC C... well, it's not a car race game ;D There are many things to explore and discover on your journey from various NPCs. I took that occasion and in the end I spent too much time on other things instead of my current mission.

also at Interesting Dan ... What RPG have you played that wasn't rife with fed-ex quests ? i'm curious :) It's the nature of the beast!

Top Bottom