I LOVE IT vs I HATE IT

+
I must say, though I've barely gotten through the first few quests, I do love the game thus far. The story, characters, and detail of artistry far surpassed what I had imagined. I also appreciate the devotion of staff in game and forums alike. Everything about the game seems very polished and clean, and a lot of love must have went into everything in general.I recently purchased a new tower, upgrading from an old Dell dimension that served me well, but could no longer support the requirements I needed despite all efforts. The replacement holds 8 gig of RAM, a Core 2 Quad, and the GeForce 9500GS, and runs the game glamourously. I understand the large patch was a nuisance to some, but the fixes were much needed. So many games I've purchased needed serious fixes after the release, the Witcher being no different. The patch I used was the latest patch for the original box version (not enhanced). It installed cleanly after I downloaded both the patch and language support into one folder of their own and ran from there.The game intro was superb in itself. The graphics are great. In comparison, I recently purchased Assassin's Creed, but the game ran buggy, and the patches are cumbersome and ineffectual. I foresee the Witcher running on my desktop for a long time to come. Finally, I have been disappointed in the silly humans who complained and seemed a bit miffed about the language issues (that were easy to work around, after reading a few small notes). Some comments were directed at Poland and its citizens via the agitation at the game team. I just want to say, as an American with a respectful nature, I applaud Poland, the game team, and any other race, creed, and nationality that put time into this project, for their Gold Medal Victory in creating the Witcher. I am sure that I will have my hiccups and wishes, and will likely voice them. Out of the gate and fresh, I am lovingn it already.

One of the best rpg`s i`ve played so far! This games makes you feel that you live in that world ^^ Plus animations/physics,story,graphics,playability etc is 10/10.Look forward to witcher 2...

LOVE it: Act IV + Epilogue - The ever-fun battlefield. Perhaps it should be a guilty pleasure since Geralt prefers to avoid human bloodshed, but I just love diving in and mowing through, regardless of the meager XP gains, it's easy to get lost in the pure action. The story is obviously reaching crescendo, but there are still opportunities for a witcher to do what a witcher does. Facing the striga wasn't quite as dramatic as the intro, but fun nonetheless. When IV ended, I wanted more, but looking at the full scope of the game, it was a whole lot of story already. It could've ended there, and many game makers would've been content to, so the Epilogue came as an appreciated generosity with a very satisfying conclusion.LOVE it: Pacing. It was a whole lot of story, but every chapter was just as long as it needed to be. There was no pressure to push through to the end, nor did the requirements for completing them ever feel burdensome. Grinding was neither encouraged nor discouraged, and overall gain rate mostly balanced out, though grinding early while the challenge was greater was rewarded.HATE it: Maybe hate is too strong a word, but Geralt's gameplay mobility limitations weren't sensibly justified. How would someone seen leaping up fortifications in the opening cutscene be blocked by a log on the ground? Why is a row of bricks an insurrountable fence? Why can't Geralt drop down from or climb up a short ledge? It may be against his character to go bounding around civilized areas like some costumed crime-fighter, but doesn't a witcher need the advantage of this mobility to equal a werewolf or vampire in combat? So why not let the player play with those acrobatics? You've already informed us he can do it; so let the player do it, too.

Greetings to one and all I want to start out by saying that I've played several rpg in the past, mostly those produced by WOTC and I have to say that hands down The Witcher is a most superb rpg. I just finished my first play through of all three adventures (The Witcher, The price of neutrality and side effects) and am looking forward to even more to be available. As a gamer, this is one series that I wish would NEVER end. Many Kudos to CDProject Red for a most enjoyable and fulfilling rpg! Hails! :D

I love the whole game. The story is great, the decisions you made affect the sequence of events...It's a mature RPG, with a charismatic main character and epic fights...My favorite PC game!

FraPavel said:
FraPavel said:
Is it just me who actually thinks Geralt is the sexual object and not the sex card women? After all, first they tell him to do stuff, then they do him, and never talk to him again.
Feminists are insane and generally stupid. Feminists are what comes of educating girls in real subjects like maths and science - they simply cannot handle it, their brains explode, and they become feminist sociologists ;)
I didn't notice this comment before. I absolutely disagree and find this comment offensive.The majority of the most intelligent people I have ever had the pleasure to meet have been women. My wife has her first degrees in physics and math, just like me. She has a master's in teaching math and was teaching math at a university when we met. Then there was my study partner in probability and statistics in my undergraduate days - a lovely blue-eyed blonde with a very gentle and patient nature. There was also a doctor of pulmonology I dated. I was delighted also to meet Grace Hopper when she was a Captain in the US Navy.I agree that maladjusted attitudes and emotional problems are unpleasant to encounter. They're best just avoided. But that's no call for sweeping comments denigrating one gender or another.I for one agree that the sexual conduct portrayed in The Witcher is believable and handled maturely.

DokEnkephalin said:
I loved the game, but hearing technobabble in a fantasy setting sure shatters willing suspension of disbelief. Mutants, mutagens, forensics, many other scientific terms applied to justify fantastical elements, inappropriately. Couldn't these have been more cleverly named? Maybe I'm just nitpicking, but it was left feeling like the concepts were ripped from sci-fi and plastered awkwardly into cracks in the story, cracks that wouldn't have even been noticeable if it weren't for the shoddy spackle-job. Maybe something was lost in translation that sounded better in Polish.
Well, yes, actually you are nitpicking indeed :) The follows the novels quite closely so the developers had not invented those things for... higher effectiveness or something. The games world is different from the one we know and the scientific terms that seem unsuitable to you is an inevitable part of the story :)I would suggest that you read the novels - it should make you se ethe things in a different light :peace:

One small notice in addition to what was said about the game before: the game is absolutely gorgeous. That is beyond the question. Yet, I cannot imagine myself playing it for a second time. In the next 2-3 years at least. Why? Because no matter what you choose the are no tactile consequences - except for some minor issues that don't really affect the game flow. There's no way for you to see "the other side of life". The Baldur's Gate players should understand what I mean.

I don't think there is no intention to see the other side of life. The Wichter has one main gamestory but the player has 3 different ways to finish it.I wouldn't say the mutations in the game aren't the same as in modern science fiction stories. There are no artificial or chemical substance or a sophisticated technology involved but arcane magic and unknown mushrooms and herbs. Okay, I admit you can use this pattern for a story nowadays but the circumstances and the way how it is told makes the difference. Well, likewise you can take the conjunction of the spheres from the witcherworld into our present time as well and wrap it into a story ;)

Just saying thanks! i don't know how I managed to miss this game until now, but just bought the Enhanced version US, and all I can say is FANTASTIC. I love the art, the story, the voice acting, the game mechanics, all of it. Please keep the PC sequel to the same standard or better, and I for one would pay more than the usual new game cost. My only complaints (1) the game eventually ends (sigh), and (2) why why why do we have to get censored software in the US??? As an adult (40's) female game addict, I truly resent the capitulation to remove the original developers intent in the level of gore and sexual content. Add a control setting if needed, but actual sword-fighting (or blowing up with a rocket launcher for that matter) in real battle has never resulted in a pretty picture, so why does the software industry feel the need to protect us from the realities of life, sex, and war? Just rate it so people know whether it is appropriate for their kid, don't dumb it down for the people who are adults!!!!I can't speak to the dialog cuts as I have not heard what was left out, but the current dialog rings true, and the level of colorful language seems appropriate to the story as opposed to being simply gratuitous as in some games - seems to be good editing and acting.The people who demand censorship are most likely not even the people buying the games even after the censorship. They aren't going to buy it anyway, so leave the original intent in place for the people who will buy it and will appreciate the hard work and attention to detail. Thanks for the best game I've played in quite a while.

suzpiper said:
Just saying thanks! i don't know how I managed to miss this game until now, but just bought the Enhanced version US, and all I can say is FANTASTIC. I love the art, the story, the voice acting, the game mechanics, all of it. Please keep the PC sequel to the same standard or better, and I for one would pay more than the usual new game cost. My only complaints (1) the game eventually ends (sigh), and (2) why why why do we have to get censored software in the US??? As an adult (40's) female game addict, I truly resent the capitulation to remove the original developers intent in the level of gore and sexual content. Add a control setting if needed, but actual sword-fighting (or blowing up with a rocket launcher for that matter) in real battle has never resulted in a pretty picture, so why does the software industry feel the need to protect us from the realities of life, sex, and war? Just rate it so people know whether it is appropriate for their kid, don't dumb it down for the people who are adults!!!!I can't speak to the dialog cuts as I have not heard what was left out, but the current dialog rings true, and the level of colorful language seems appropriate to the story as opposed to being simply gratuitous as in some games - seems to be good editing and acting.The people who demand censorship are most likely not even the people buying the games even after the censorship. They aren't going to buy it anyway, so leave the original intent in place for the people who will buy it and will appreciate the hard work and attention to detail. Thanks for the best game I've played in quite a while.
hello, happy to see that you loved the game as most of the people here did. I hope you will stick around here as this forum is not like others, you will find mature subject, respect and friendship. As for the censoring, it comes from the US board, nothing they could do about it but, there are ways to get rid of it... Nothing i can tell you in a post but, if you want to, you can email me or pm. When they did the Enhanced Edition US version, there was a little file that was missing that dumbed down the violence :) if you want all the blood back, you just need to download this file.There is a pretty good reason why you have missed the game, the publisher did not do much to promote the game in North America as much of us, found it either while looking for something else or, from the award it received all over the gaming websites :) If you wanna join the community, look at this post .You also can stop by the Hairy Bear and have a drink with us.Also, you can come on the US/CAN fansite created by Starwolf, in the upcoming weeks, it will be filled with a lot of usefull stuff :) If you have any questions, feel free to ask :) Finaly, i dont think you are done enjoying Geralt body as this game has a high replayability value and, you can also try the numerous extra adventures :) Welcome aboard :)

One hell of a great game you have made. I could go on forever about how much I enjoyed The Witcher, but I guess I could summarize it into one word: atmosphere. The environments, characters, dialogue and, most important of all, music, filled me with the feeling I can't remember having experienced since Morrowind came out seven years ago. And mind you, Morrowind is my favourite game of all time.

Perkele said:
One hell of a great game you have made. I could go on forever about how much I enjoyed The Witcher, but I guess I could summarize it into one word: atmosphere. The environments, characters, dialogue and, most important of all, music, filled me with the feeling I can't remember having experienced since Morrowind came out seven years ago. And mind you, Morrowind is my favourite game of all time.
I have to agree with this person. The atmosphere is terrific. I like all types of games but the once I really dig are the ones with atmosphere and to tell you the truth not many games succeed. Take a game like Halo for example, which had some great new things when it came out. Gameplay technical seen it is very good, but the atmosphere was so dull and boring (to me) that I have not played it often. I was waiting for a game like this to come by for a long time. It has one of the most interesting heroes I ever met. And the atmosphere was just terrific. Games I liked besides this one, with a great atmosphere in my opinion: Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare (setting and music), Half Life 2, Silent Hill 2, Warcraft 3 and the outstanding Fallout 3

It's rumoured there is a sequel in the works but there is no official hint nor an official statement by CDPR.Welcome on our forums, btw :wave:

I wish to welcome all new members It always nice to see after the release of TW that it still make a impact on player gose to show you that TW is still one of the best game around

Top Bottom