Interesting interview in regards to the visual differences between past trailers and now

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting interview in regards to the visual differences between past trailers and now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU9rlkCOk9E

Main points:

• You can't compare a final project to one that wasn't playable
  • Unfair to compare trailers and gameplay demo

Whelp, whaddya think?

EDIT: Didn't Marcin say that the SoD trailers and VGX trailers will be how the final game looks? If so then i'm interested in what you all think in the contrasting / contradictions between the above interview and Marcins post.

Last edited:
It's pretty much non arguable at this point but one can dream/hope I suppose.

Hopefully we don't get silenced.

I think even CDPR succumbed to crappy marketing tactics. Watch me get lambasted by the mods now.

You obviously know so much about game development that you keep spouting "bullshit! marketing tactics..huooo" everywhere I see you, as if you're an expert about how this all works.

I think that CDPR will learn a lot from past mistakes when it comes to dealing with PR and keeping the crowd happy. On the other hand, I think people should cut them some slack as well. A team of 250 devs, is a big team, but by no means a gigantic dev team. I will take a look at the video later. Maybe...

I think even CDPR succumbed to crappy marketing tactics. Watch me get lambasted by the mods now.

You obviously know so much about game development that you keep spouting "bullshit! marketing tactics..huooo" everywhere I see you, as if you're an expert about how this all works.

EVERY GAME gets downgraded - upgraded- and downgraded again to reach a point where it's actually playable. Do you really expect all the "gameplay" flashyness trailers you have seen on video games to be exactly that in game? Because let me tell you..NOT ONE has delivered us that.

EVERY GAME gets downgraded - upgraded- and downgraded again to reach a point where it's actually playable. Do you really expect all the "gameplay" flashyness trailers you have seen on video games to be exactly that in game? Because let me tell you..NOT ONE has delivered us that.

Of course I expected trailers to resemble the final product. I disapproved Watch Dogs / Dark Souls 2 and so far (though i'll give CDPR the benefit of the doubt until release) i;m disapproving all the red flags that are being raised right now.

Hell, what an anoying interviewer...couldn't bring me to watching the interview for more than 2 minutes...

But:
Main points:

• You can't compare a final project to one that wasn't playable
  • Unfair to compare trailers and gameplay demo
Yes and yes.

If your initial gameplay trailer showed high-end visuals with incredible particle effects, draw distance, etc., don't be surprised when people are pissed when that is changed. And because other greedy companies do this, that makes it okay for CDPR?

I think the biggest problem is that they were okay with deceiving the customers. Who gives a damn about graphics when gameplay is good? I sure don't. But CDPR is not the moral paragon of developers that they once were.

Last edited:
I think that CDPR will learn a lot from past mistakes when it comes to dealing with PR and keeping the crowd happy. On the other hand, I think people should cut them some slack as well. A team of 250 devs, is a big team, but by no means a gigantic dev team. I will take a look at the video later. Maybe...

I think this is more like a success with preordered over a million copies and still counting .

I think it's perfectly fine to differentiate between trailers and gameplay. However, if you expect people to do that, your own PR should be honest about it too. It doesn't help if official statements keep repeating "The game will look just like the trailers". You can't do that and then be flabbergasted that people actually expect your game to look like the trailer (disclaimer: I never believed the game would be like that exactly and I'm perfectly fine with it as it is).

The whole thing was simply not handled in a straightforward and honest way.

I think it's perfectly fine to differentiate between trailers and gameplay. However, if you expect people to do that, your own PR should be honest about it too. It doesn't help if official statements keep repeating "The game will look just like the trailers". You can't do that and then be flabbergasted that people actually expect your game to look like the trailer (disclaimer: I never believed the game would be like that exactly and I'm perfectly fine with it as it is).

The whole thing was simply not handled in a straightforward and honest way.

Point is this...we have YET to see Ultra with all settings on (the IGN stream had AA, HBAO+ and many other graphical options turned off). So all this bs about game being downgraded and what not is POINTLESS until the game is out and in the hands of the public.

We shall see at launch countless more threads about this..a lot of people are waiting for Digital Foundry or DSO to make that performance thread on the PC version. Will I personally care? No..because I know for a fact my 980 won't handle all those effects turned on at ultra 60fps so I simply don't care.

All the 5+ hours of footage I have seen is enough for me to know that this will be the best open world game ever created and the most prettiest (and most of it showcased was the PC version).

Why are we still talking about this? CDProjekt overestimated what they could do with the current generation of consoles, so they had to make some compromises. To ensure that they didn't include unnecessary, duplicate assets that 2/3 platforms wouldn't use, the PC had to have those assets removed as well. It was a matter of practicality. They showed completely accurate video all through production and didn't deceive the public about it like Watch_Dogs did. There's no massive conspiracy, they wanted to but just made an inaccurate scope assessment.

It's better to aim High and miss than to aim low and hit.

Point is this...we have YET to see Ultra with all settings on (the IGN stream had AA, HBAO+ and many other graphical options turned off). So all this bs about game being downgraded and what not is POINTLESS until the game is out and in the hands of the public.

We shall see at launch countless more threads about this..a lot of people are waiting for Digital Foundry or DSO to make that performance thread on the PC version. Will I personally care? No..because I know for a fact my 980 won't handle all those effects turned on at ultra 60fps so I simply don't care.

All the 5+ hours of footage I have seen is enough for me to know that this will be the best open world game ever created and the most prettiest (and most of it showcased was the PC version).

That's all been true until this interview was released. However, Jose basically tells us: "It doesn't look like the trailers, but you shouldn't have expected that anyway" -> So we KNOW it won't look like that.

@damascus57 And who exactly forced them to repeat these claims ("It's going to look like in the trailers") just a few months ago when it became apparent that it wouldn't? The game still looks great and I'll be happy to play it, but it's just not the right way to handle these things.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom