Interviews and Articles - 2015

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it' mostly due to the fact that Iosword, the female journalist, is a huge Dark Souls fan, for her an rpg is all about gameplay, she just don't see the point of a story-driven experience and that's presumeably why she did not really enjoy the previous game and don't seem particulary hype about the next one.

Personnaly I never liked the souls séries, what I look forward in an rpg is the story and the freedom of choices so if I had to make a preview about Bloodborne I will probably sound as harsh as she is about The Witcher even if Bloodborne is a masterpiece because that's really not my type of game.

So if you ignore the impression of Iosword and focuses only on the part written by Pouicoss (who really like the previous game) it sound as promising as any other preview.

Yeah but there is a part where she talks about the writing, and character and lore exposition, so it seems she just doesnt like anything about the witcher games in general.

Yeah but there is a part where she talks about the writing, and character and lore exposition, so it seems she just doesnt like anything about the witcher games in general.

I don't know French so I don't know for sure what the tone of the article is, but still, why go to this event then? Wasn't there someone else that's more interested in the franchise and that could actually be able to provide valuable feedback to both CDPR and to the fans?
With the same success they could've sent someone who plays only FIFA/PES.

I think it' mostly due to the fact that Iosword, the female journalist, is a huge Dark Souls fan, for her an rpg is all about gameplay, she just don't see the point of a story-driven experience and that's presumeably why she did not really enjoy the previous game and don't seem particulary hype about the next one.

Personnaly I never liked the souls séries, what I look forward in an rpg is the story and the freedom of choices so if I had to make a preview about Bloodborne I will probably sound as harsh as she is about The Witcher even if Bloodborne is a masterpiece because that's really not my type of game.

So if you ignore the impression of Iosword and focuses only on the part written by Pouicoss (who really like the previous game) it sound as promising as any other preview.

So she simply hasn't any knowledge about RPGs.
Dark Souls is not an RPG. It is a Dungeon Crawl.

I don't know French so I don't know for sure what the tone of the article is, but still, why go to this event then? Wasn't there someone else that's more interested in the franchise and that could actually be able to provide valuable feedback to both CDPR and to the fans?

There were two journalist of this website at the preview event, the other one was a long-time fan, the website was trying to propose a dual perspective of the game but it wasn't very successfull. Most of the review is about the gameplay and the dificulty whereas it will be different at launch and there is almost no mention of important thing who will stay the same (flesh out secondary character, good exposition, interesting quest, gorgeous soundtrack and voice acting...)

The only person who played the newest Witcher 3 version unrestricted for a longer time was Heiko Klinge from Gamestar and he was very impressed. He also is someone who is into rpg´s and liked the previous Witcher game (like all of us here I suppose).
So I wouldn´t really pay much attention anymore to people, who played only limited parts of an outdated version. Especially if one of them is someone who isn´t into story driven rpgs. No idea why some people get so easily influenced by such comments. ^^

So she simply hasn't any knowledge about RPGs.
Dark Souls is not an RPG. It is a Dungeon Crawl.

What? Its definitely an RPG. Lets stop trying to discredit her tastes and just accept her opinion as... An opinion. A lot of the complaints are stuff we see here everyday. Downgrade, too colorful, witcher senses boring, didnt like the skill tree ui, and the lack of npc reaction while stealing... I can point you to posts about all these issue being made in the last week.

Last edited:
What? Its definitely an RPG..

Don't tell anyone, but DS and its ilk are actually pattern recognition games, not RPGs. They rely on you getting smashed until you can discern a pattern of behaviour your enemies employ and then essentially "glitching" them to death, a form of fixed sequence hit the mole. Everything else is secondary to that fundamental rule.

It's all hush hush information though, so don't you go telling others about it. I'm trusting you here.

January build or not, this is the part that is most concerning to me, I've always been wondering about whether they'll manage to keep it interesting.

This has been the most worrisome feature for me since it was announced. Most previews have had lukewarm reception to it. Now, monster hunting and most side activities will get repetitive no matter what, it's to be expected in any open world game, but I hope and pray they didn't let Witcher senses play a prominent role in the quests. Their quest design skills are above most other devs imo, it'd be a shame to undermine that with a gimmick.

Im not sure because the french thing, but if she feels like she has the "right" to criticize the quality of things related to narrative, then she probably does care about those things to a certain extent, I dont really know that person or her taste.

But anyway, the important thing is she did say in TW3 she was positively surprised so whatever, its a good thing.

Don't tell anyone, but DS and its ilk are actually pattern recognition games, not RPGs. They rely on you getting smashed until you can discern a pattern of behaviour your enemies employ and then essentially "glitching" them to death, a form of fixed sequence hit the mole. Everything else is secondary to that fundamental rule.

It's all hush hush information though, so don't you go telling others about it. I'm trusting you here.

Pattern recognition games are just another name for everygame ever release with action base combat... Including witcher.

Pattern recognition games are just another name for everygame ever release with action base combat... Including witcher.

I'd argue that's not true. Batman games, as an example of a series with action combat, rely heavily on player initiative. You're expected to actively engage the enemy, not wait for them to show you how to beat them, although even there one can find infrequent exceptions to that rule in boss fights.

I'm not really criticising DS style gameplay, merely observing it's specific nature. Perhaps the feeble attempt at dressing my design epiphany in wit failed to convey that.

What? Its definitely an RPG. Lets stop trying to discredit her tastes and just accept her opinion as... An opinion. A lot of the complaints are stuff we see here everyday. Downgrade, too colorful, witcher senses boring, didnt like the skill tree ui, and the lack of npc reaction while stealing... I can point you to posts about all these issue being made in the last week.

This is not about discredit her opinions.
An RPG is made by two parts: interpretation (quest design, dialogues tree, C&C system) and wargame (statistics, combat, character build).
In DkS the interpretative aspect is dropped in favour of the wargame's one.
When an RPG is made in that way, then is called Dungeon Crawl, which is an RPG sub genre.

DkS can't be compared to The Witcher as much as it can't be compared to Baldur's Gate or Planescape Torment.

I'd argue that's not true. Batman games, as an example of a series with action combat, rely heavily on player initiative. You're expected to actively engage the enemy, not wait for them to show you how to beat them, although even there one can find infrequent exceptions to that rule in boss fights.

I'm not really criticising DS style gameplay, merely observing it's specific nature. Perhaps the feeble attempt at dressing my design epiphany in wit failed to convey that.

I love the Batman combat, I play the shit out of the challenge modes. However, getting really high scores is all about exploiting enemy attack patterns and being able to recognize when an enemy is getting ready launch an attack. The big difference is that thugs in batman are mostly punching bags and theres only one way to approach the combat. In the Souls games even the lowest of enemies are a danger, and the game allows you to be as defensive or offensive as you wish.

To keep this related to Witcher... My hope is that Witcher is a mix of the two. No single thug should be able to stand a chance vs Geralt, so encounters with random thugs and Mercs should be more about managing multiple opponents that are individually very weak or have some type of weapon to give them an advantage. While the monster hunts should be closer to a Souls experience.

This is not about discredit her opinions.
An RPG is made by two parts: interpretation (quest design, dialogues tree, C&C system) and wargame (statistics, combat, character build).
In DkS the interpretative aspect is dropped in favour of the wargame's one.
When an RPG is made in that way, then is called Dungeon Crawl, which is an RPG sub genre.

RPGs are largely defined by character progression systems... it is the one and only through-line you will find among every RPG. Dialogue trees, quests, (what is C &C?) are genre staples but those are aspects whose importance has always varied from game to game, especially when it comes to Japanese Style RPGs who have never put any emphasis on dialogue trees and quest journals.

Last edited:
RPGs are largely defined by character progression systems... it is the one and only through-line you will find among every RPG. Dialogue trees, quests, (what is C &C?) are genre staples but those are aspects whose importance has always varied from game to game, especially when it comes to Japanese Style RPGs who have never put any emphasis on dialogue trees and quest journals.

Yes, and this is why no one can compare a WRPG with a JRPG.

(C&C is Choice & Consequences)

The Witcher 3 en 4K et sans downgrade ? Ah, ah, rêvez !

Pour commencer, parlons mal, parlons graphismes – histoire d'expédier ce sujet. Nous avons eu entre les mains un build datant de la mi-janvier, et, même si la release est encore loin – l'équilibrage restant à faire –, un constat s'impose : The Witcher 3, comme tant d'autres, est downgradé. Chanceux comme nous sommes, nous avons pu jouer à la version PC – au pad de Xbox One malheureusement, les contrôles claviers n'étant pas implantés –, mais nous avons aussi pu observer les versions consoles. Rassurez-vous, The Witcher 3 est beau, mais que ce soit au niveau des effets de lumière, de la distance d'affichage ou de la finesse des textures : il est dur de croire que le résultat promis sera atteint. Ironie de la chose, Geralt et les protagonistes principaux sont très bien modélisés et ont des textures fines, mais ce n’est pas le cas de la masse de personnages secondaires et tertiaires que nous proposera cet opus, créant donc une impression de décalage frappant.
Les versions consoles, quant à elles, sont assez similaires. Soit, la version One est en 900p et la version PS4 en 1080p, mais sérieusement, à moins de jouer sur un 60" : impossible de le voir à l'oeil. Par contre, l’argument des trois plateformes équivalentes ne tient pas : PS4 ou Xbox One, nous sommes très en deçà de la "MasterRace". Plus inquiétant, le framerate est pour le moment instable et les crashs bien trop courants.

French is my native tongue, and all I can say is : downgrade confirmed.

Feel free to ask me if you need me to translate bits of the article.

French is my native tongue, and all I can say is : downgrade confirmed.

Feel free to ask me if you need me to translate bits of the article.

Yeah, if you say "confirmed" then please, translate your source.
Our languages are pretty similar, I can understand some words, but not the entire article. XD

Yes, and this is why no one can compare a WRPG with a JRPG.

(C&C is Choice & Consequences)

No one is comparing them, I'm just saying its a different type of RPG.. but still an RPG. It reminds me of being on the Skyrim forums where a lot sentiment there is that the Witcher isnt a "real RPG" because you have no character creation, no classes, and theres usually limits on how you can roleplay Geralt. There was also lots of critiscm of how there was no real world to explore because of how it was broken up into acts, but thats irrelevant to TW3. To me that doesnt mean its not an RPG, its just a different type of RPG compared with Elder Scrolls where you have those types of freedoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom