Is Weather Too Powerful? (Open Beta Edition)

+
I think the biggest issue with weather is that it can be spawned on any row. If the weather mechanic was set to one row pr weather type (of the regular 3 at least) it would make it harder for people to just pummel you with them turn after turn. I also think its' a bit silly that you'll resurrect monsters just by playing fog. I sort of get it, but I feel it's an unfair advantage that a player can spawn, fog 3 times or more during a match, and have the foglets reappear again and again throughout it. But I can understand people might disagree with me on the last one.

As far as the gold weather cards go, I'm not sure what one would have to do to balance them, all I know is that they do feel rather unbalanced as it stands right now.

before weather was managable. right now no metter how many blights u have ur teaking dmg right away which is absurd in my opinion. weather should start doing dmg at the start ofcasters next round or somethiuing. atm drop one of those legendary weathers and u will win round 99% of time

TH3WITCH3R;n8618720 said:
Sorry but frankly I don't have any problem about RNR or Drought as those are gold cards but those monster bronze wild hunt units spawning frost in each round plus other weather cards I mean seriously?

Wild hunt hound is acceptable because thats the theme of the deck : weather.
RNR and Drought are played in decks that arent even weather and have no synergy like NG spies

olavrell;n8620750 said:
I think the biggest issue with weather is that it can be spawned on any row. If the weather mechanic was set to one row pr weather type (of the regular 3 at least) it would make it harder for people to just pummel you with them turn after turn. I also think its' a bit silly that you'll resurrect monsters just by playing fog. I sort of get it, but I feel it's an unfair advantage that a player can spawn, fog 3 times or more during a match, and have the foglets reappear again and again throughout it. But I can understand people might disagree with me on the last one.

As far as the gold weather cards go, I'm not sure what one would have to do to balance them, all I know is that they do feel rather unbalanced as it stands right now.

Devs made weather being placeable on any row AND nearly tripled the amount of agile cards and cards that one way affects your or your opponent's unit placement on the board. So no, I don't think your suggestion will work.

As for gold weather... I myself don't use em. It seems counter productive to me splitting enemy units apart. But hey, maybe that's just me.

If it was just me, i'd remove weather completely.

Units have a lot of cool synergies now, but they all feel pointless or half-assed because 1/3rd of your deck has to be weather countermeasures. Then when you face an opponent who doesn't use weather, you play with a gimped deck. Weather in its current state is very taxing on deck building.

I agree with the idea that weather should affect both sides again. Such power has to come with a price, thus the caster would need to build their deck with that in mind. Weather and anti-weather need to be viable, OPTIONAL approaches.

Other than that, every damn card in this game should have "ties are resolved randomly". Seriously. As of right now i'm losing interest at an alarming rate. Gwent used to be a simple yet deep mind game, now it's more complex than it needs to be but it doesn't matter since now it's all about who brings the most damage/kill cards.

Alpro;n8622100 said:
If it was just me, i'd remove weather completely.

Units have a lot of cool synergies now, but they all feel pointless or half-assed because 1/3rd of your deck has to be weather countermeasures. Then when you face an opponent who doesn't use weather, you play with a gimped deck. Weather in its current state is very taxing on deck building.

I agree with the idea that weather should affect both sides again. Such power has to come with a price, thus the caster would need to build their deck with that in mind. Weather and anti-weather need to be viable, OPTIONAL approaches.

Other than that, every damn card in this game should have "ties are resolved randomly". Seriously. As of right now i'm losing interest at an alarming rate. Gwent used to be a simple yet deep mind game, now it's more complex than it needs to be but it doesn't matter since now it's all about who brings the most damage/kill cards.

Gimped deck? First Light lets you choose between weather clearing and bronze unit. How is that gimping you? Besides, as far as I know every faction now has a silver unit that have a choice of 3 spells: some buff, some weather, clear skies. So we have at least 4 cards that in no way gimps your deck and protects you from weather.

Zefyris;n8617990 said:
The fact that it always deals damage even if you clear sky right away, as well as the effect don't acceft both side of the board anymore is another factor.

Agreed. I'd like the balance better if weather triggered the turn after it is played. That would leave room for a variety of responses - a good thing, yes?

Also, its prob abit early to make any balancing comments right now, everyone is still testing and prob trying stuff that looks fun. A card that provides a body and just clears weather isn't particularily sexy, but it prob shuts down alot of the weather shenanigans that are going on right now pretty hard.

kaalev;n8622540 said:
Gimped deck? First Light lets you choose between weather clearing and bronze unit. How is that gimping you? Besides, as far as I know every faction now has a silver unit that have a choice of 3 spells: some buff, some weather, clear skies. So we have at least 4 cards that in no way gimps your deck and protects you from weather.

Rally is terrible, most of the time you get a unit you do not want or need at the moment. First Light could perhaps have both the effect of Clear Sky and Rally, then it would become half-decent. For now, weather can punish nearly any strategy but what do we have to punish weather? Redanian Knights i suppose. Other than that, Archgriffin and Bluestripe Scout can clear weather. Good enough IF there's weather to clear (or take advantage of in the case of Knights), but pretty meh otherwise.

And yeah, i'm a fan of flexible silvers, sure they can clear weather and not gimp you, yet them alone isn't enough. Players who run weather cards always bring more than one, thus you need a good amount of anti-weather and you're screwed when facing an opponent who doesn't run weather.

Moridin2244;n8622670 said:
It REALLY isn't... else everyone would be running Manticores and stuff like that.

Not sure what kind of experience you've had so far. I win when i have more direct damage than my opponent. This includes weather cards.

I don't have a problem with the new weather. I don't run any weather cards, bit I also don't have a problem playing around any opponent that does. A ton of cards are agile now and clear skies doesn't tick on removal.

Alpro;n8623430 said:
Rally is terrible, most of the time you get a unit you do not want or need at the moment. First Light could perhaps have both the effect of Clear Sky and Rally, then it would become half-decent. For now, weather can punish nearly any strategy but what do we have to punish weather? Redanian Knights i suppose. Other than that, Archgriffin and Bluestripe Scout can clear weather. Good enough IF there's weather to clear (or take advantage of in the case of Knights), but pretty meh otherwise.

And yeah, i'm a fan of flexible silvers, sure they can clear weather and not gimp you, yet them alone isn't enough. Players who run weather cards always bring more than one, thus you need a good amount of anti-weather and you're screwed when facing an opponent who doesn't run weather.

Not sure what kind of experience you've had so far. I win when i have more direct damage than my opponent. This includes weather cards.

Idk, rally was never a problem to me. I have 8-9 bronze units so by 2nd or 3rd round I usually know what I'm gonna get out of it and plan a combo accordingly.

Also, you're forgetting that weather decks usually have few and usually low strength units because they heavily rely on weather damage to close the gap. So slap a few weather cards in your deck and see how they suffer.

Weather right now feels opressive and that makes it so people are forced to run FL, I hope they fix this because it just limits what you can put on your deck from 25 cards to 22 or 23 (depending on if you run 2 or 3 FL).

If your opponent wins round 1 and you have no FL on round 2 and they play RNR its over :cirisad:

And I do agree that they can play way too many weather effects in 1 game making your FL just straight up useless.

Last edited:
I think people just need to learn to play around them, I mean RNR at most does 9 on the turn it is played - and if you use it first round you need to make sure that 9 puts you in the lead or they pass and you're down on cards. It can be pretty OP when using it last round though but against one guy they just used special/gold cards for most of the last round and I maybe got like 9 value out of my RNR (which is less than you want from a gold).

With Monsters frost you have the 5 power guy to make frost and get good value from it but playing just the card on its own is fairly bad as you'll need to hit 4 minions for 2 or more turns to make it work and that's just easy to play around.

I mean playing a game against a focused weather deck is different from any other deck and you have to change to a very different style. Against a happens to have weather deck then as cards like RNR are powerful (but I wouldn't say OP) you need to draw them out and have the mage or many other counters to hand until they use it or you find they don't have it.

Haven't yet gone against a deck that has used both RNR and Drought though that does seem fairly miserable.

Swifty4;n8623830 said:
I think people just need to learn to play around them, I mean RNR at most does 9 on the turn it is played - and if you use it first round you need to make sure that 9 puts you in the lead or they pass and you're down on cards. It can be pretty OP when using it last round though but against one guy they just used special/gold cards for most of the last round and I maybe got like 9 value out of my RNR (which is less than you want from a gold).

9 per turn is imba, it can easily pass from 50 points (and much more!) first round if your opponent doesnt have an answer.

Playing it last round is retarded since last round there are fewer cards and thus fewer rounds and units so you wont get nearly as much value out of it as in the first or, maybe, second round. You want to play it first round and its pretty much first light or you won that round which is a big advantage even if you have to spend 1 or 2 cards more.

Its gone round full circle...again, CDPR seem utterly incapable of learning from their mistakes with trying to balance weather.

Weather as is isnt too powerful, but its gone back to being FAR too easily spamable. Again.

Im still 100% convinced weather wont be in the full release, they simply cant balance it.

Just like before, I believe most people that think weather is overpowered are playing their First Light cards too early... or for some reason aren't running 2-3 of them - which I don't understand, either, they are great for deck thinning. Plus, every faction had a mage that can cast Clear Skies.

​​​I'm not saying weather is fine, bit it's not overpowered. Just play around it.

If you taken each weather card individually it doesn't seem OP, my problem is with the amount of weather sources one can stack in their deck. Also nobody asked for Drought, why is this even in the game? I know they tested it on the PTR with a different effect but if that didn't work out why keep it?

Personally i like Skellige Storm, i think it's the best weather effect out there and has some interesting counterplay, there should be more effects like this that plays with position cause not long ago this was the new best thing and everything was changed to have a positional effect.
Now you have this opportunity and what they do? "Damage the lowest unit on the row by 3" freaking genius

Top Bottom