Just wanna lay one thing to rest with the whole E3 2018 demo

+
Yeah, the deep systems of Witcher 3... :facepalm:

Sometimes I wonder how many here actually played Witcher 3 when it was released.

Again, not trying to start the debate here too. There are plenty of threads that touch/ed on that.

Let's stay on topic.

Quest design in Cyberpunk is very different and I'd say they are both great.

In terms of Witcher at release and CP at release, CP probably is slightly ahead. Witcher 3 had serious problems beyond
bugs at release. The quest were breaking, Geralt controlled terribly, the UI was horrible, and the performance on consoles was not to great dropping in low 20's in certain areas before it was all patched up.

Like I said, you remember Witcher as it is now. You can't compare CP to Witcher now, you have to go back in see what it was at release.

Quest design in Cyberpunk is very different and I'd say they are both great.

In terms of Witcher at release and CP at release, CP probably is slightly ahead. Witcher 3 had serious problems beyond
bugs at release. The quest were breaking, Geralt controlled terribly, the UI was horrible, and the performance on consoles was not to great dropping in low 20's in certain areas before it was all patched up.

Like I said, you remember Witcher as it is now. You can't compare CP to Witcher now, you have to go back in see what it was at release.

I actually agree with you on this.

Heck, Geralt still handles poorly. Much better than initially but still poorly compared to other games.

The point was that there are definitely elements in both games that can be compared regardless of each game's current state since those have either never changed or will never change.

Yeah that roadmap... I honestly think it was a last minute thing.

No. The roadmap aligns with what was talked about before Christmas when there were pushing out the Hotfixes. They said then that there would be 2 big updates in the new year (1.1 & 1.2) and then they'd be looking at Free DLC and the Next Gen update. The main focus of the YT was for the Head of Studio to publically offer a Mea Culpa and eat the blame as well as formalise the timeline of a roadmap in terms of ballpark delivery. As is we know that we've 1.1 arriving imminently, and 1.2 sometime next month, and after that the Free DLC (hopefully more than light cosmetics), as well as general updates and improvements (which is where I suspect a lot of player feedback/suggestions might start to bear fruit), with the Next-Gen update probably coming within 6 - 9 months.

As regards your original post. I do recall some talk about them not originally planning on showing that Demo publicly as it was principally for Journalists, just to give them some sense of things. Given that actual development was still in flux, it was definitely a big mistake to cave in to demand to release it publicly because way too many people read it as gospel despite the big assed disclaimer.

There's a valuable (if costly) lesson there. Hopefully, they'll be more circumspect with footage going forward and maybe ease off on the flashy trailers, and instead let the game do the talking. Personally, much as I enjoyed the reveal of Keanu at the time, knowing the outcome of the Heist due to that trailer before even playing the game kind of undercut it in some ways.

Tough times for CDP at the moment, getting whipped from all sides, but I dare say despite the general clouds hanging over things, once the patches are in, and the game is playable and way less buggy then things will improve for them (including the share price).

Hard to say whether these class action lawsuits will amount to anything, but tbh there's an argument that CDP stock was overpriced for a while with a lot of investors coming in thinking the game was going to do GTA level silly numbers. As is 13 million in the first couple of weeks is nothing to be sniffed at (and I dare say despite the uproar it cleared a few million more over the Christmas break), but I think there were some unrealistic expectations as to what could be achieved.

The unfortunate downside to the uproar is that sadly, some people will never forgive and never forget and even with situations like the impressive turnaround Hello Games achieved with NMS, there's always someone out there who still bad mouths them, at any and every given opportunity.

If they want to get in peoples good graces beyond the bugs, then they need to get on board with the customisation (haircuts, weapons, vehicles, V's apartment) sooner rather than later as well looking to add a bit more personality to the game in terms of interactions and the like. There's some real abruptness to some of the exchanges with the likes of Panam, Judy etc wherein you run out of things to say and the only option is to just walk away, whereas in any other game you'd at the very least have a simple 'Ok, good to see you, gotta go' sign off-exchange.

In my opinion the problem is not with the E3 2018 demo itself. The problem comes from CDPR never updating the community on the changes that ended in the differences between that demo and the final product. They have only themselves to blame for not updating everyone on the fundamental changes to the vision of the game after that demo was created.

When you show people A and then later change it to B without telling anyone. Of course people are going to continue to expect A

I think it takes a bit of maturity from all parties.

What I see in this whole fiasco is the process through which the industry goes past the edgy teen years into early adulthood.

Gamers need to be more critical of the marketing material without hyping everything to the nether-realm and back and the publishers/developers need to be more succinct with the marketing (it will never happen and I'm a fool :D), I hope CDPR takes that route because it keeps biting them in the ass at every turn since The Witcher 1.
All I wanted from the marketing. Videos or people, to not say they're going to match RDR2, or have extensive character customization. Because there are standards you must hit for those statements to be true. And CD doesn't have the "I'm a indie dev" card to hide behind.

@Kadayi

Brilliant post, mate.

I fully agree with everything there, especially when it comes to gameplay additions and dialogue interaction abruptness.

In fact I'd also add the fact that I hope they slow things down in some interactions, especially again with Panam, everything happens blazingly fast at one point, there's a phrase that keeps popping into my head it goes something like this:

''COME ON V''

Characters barely finishing a sentence and another just jumps in without giving you even a second to digest what the previous character said, it definitely needs work when it comes to the fluidity.

Also giving us the option to not answer the darn phone and have a prompt on the phone screen to call the character back like with the ''Reply'' function in the messages screen.

When it comes to marketing, yup they messed up, big time, and if humanity is known for something it's definitely not patience and understanding :D.

In my opinion the problem is not with the E3 2018 demo itself. The problem comes from CDPR never updating the community on the changes that ended in the differences between that demo and the final product. They have only themselves to blame for not updating everyone on the fundamental changes to the vision of the game after that demo was created.

When you show people A and then later change it to B without telling anyone. Of course people are going to continue to expect A

Well, they were still using the gameplay demo material months/weeks before the game came out with Night City Wire.
I don't think it's a lack of internal communication. :ok:

Top Bottom