Mantle - new open API by AMD and DICE

+
since it's out and ready to use, anybody tested tw2 with new mantle?

You can't. Mantle is only available in BF4 and soon in Thief. Like every other API (DirectX, OpenGL, and in the past, Glide) games have to be specifically programmed to support it. More titles are still expected this year.

(So actually this thread can be closed, since there already is a general Mantle thread.)

Last edited:
Crytek announced that Cryengine and future games on this engine will get Mantle support. Will we see maxed out Crysis 3 with 60 FPS? Last time Eurogamer tried to achieve that with 3 Titans and OC top Intel CPU, but they couldn't because of CPU bottleneck. :p

In April AMD will release Mantle SDK for everyone.

Last edited:
Crytek announced that Cryengine and future games on this engine will get Mantle support. Will we see maxed out Crysis 3 with 60 FPS? Last time Eurogamer tried to achieve that with 3 Titans and OC top Intel CPU, but they couldn't because of CPU bottleneck. :p

In April AMD will release Mantle SDK for everyone.
Well Microsoft announced a new version of DirectX that will be a low-level access API like AMD's Mantle about a month ago and that it will be named DirectX 12 which Microsoft might release DirectX 12 in 2015 and some new rumors appeared on the internet saying Microsoft can release DirectX 12 in the Fall or Winter of 2014.

Which I can 100% guarantee you Crytek will add support for DirectX 12 in CryEngine.

I really have a feeling that once Microsoft releases DirectX 12 Mantle will be Dead in the Water. I can't say Dead on Arrival (DoA) anymore because Mantle has been released for like a month now and DiectX 12 will be released Fall or Winter 2014 or in 2015.

According to some rumors I heard a 2 weeks ago Microsoft is targeting more than 100,000 drawcalls compared to what Mantle has right now or whatever amount of drawcalls Mantle has right now.

I heard of this rumor in 2013 and Sidspyker linked it to me somewhere here on The Witcher forums websites. But this was a fresh new rumor I heard 2 weeks ago. NeoGAF or some place don't remember what website it was on because it was in the comments section. Well we will see what DirectX 12 really is capable of whenever Microsoft releases DirectX 12.

I think Mantle was for AMD to make Microsoft upgrade DirectX a whole lot more and for OpenGL to be upgraded a whole lot more as well.

Or it could be a steaming load of Microsoft vaporware. Microsoft is the modern master of FUD and has only to announce a product it may not deliver for years in order to put a crimp in an unwanted competitor's sales.

I don't put much credence in rumors. Microsoft can make an official product announcement with a date certain for delivery, then I'll take DirectX 12 seriously.

(IBM invented FUD in the days when "no one ever got fired for buying IBM".)

Or it could be a steaming load of Microsoft vaporware. Microsoft is the modern master of FUD and has only to announce a product it may not deliver for years in order to put a crimp in an unwanted competitor's sales.

I don't put much credence in rumors. Microsoft can make an official product announcement with a date certain for delivery, then I'll take DirectX 12 seriously.

(IBM invented FUD in the days when "no one ever got fired for buying IBM".)
Well isn't it a known fact by now that Microsoft innovates when there is competition and that when there is zero competition that Microsoft does not innovate? At least that's what I have been reading and seeing on the internet for over a year now and I have been purchasing Microsoft software since 1998.

Well isn't it a known fact by now that Microsoft innovates when there is competition and that when there is zero competition that Microsoft does not innovate? At least that's what I have been reading and seeing on the internet for over a year now and I have been purchasing Microsoft software since 1998.

Here I'm with Guy.

We don't know if it will be really that good as Mantle (Mantle was designed with AMD cards in mind, DirectX is designed to be universal). If it will be tied to any version of Windows (probably will be to 8 and in that case I won't use it until Windows 9). How exactly it will work or when it will be delivered.

Here I'm with Guy.

We don't know if it will be really that good as Mantle (Mantle was designed with AMD cards in mind, DirectX is designed to be universal). If it will be tied to any version of Windows (probably will be to 8 and in that case I won't use it until Windows 9). How exactly it will work or when it will be delivered.
I know no one knows if DirectX 12 will be good as AMD's Mantle I said that in my comment. All I said is that rumors are saying that DirectX 12 will either be good as AMD's Mantle or even better. I don't get why people tell me we don't know if DirectX 12 will be good or better than AMD's Mantle API when I specifically said in the comment that rumors are saying this not me. Do people just like read my comment quickly or something?

According to some rumors I heard a 2 weeks ago Microsoft is targeting more than 100,000 drawcalls compared to what Mantle has right now or whatever amount of drawcalls Mantle has right now.

I heard of this rumor in 2013 and Sidspyker linked it to me somewhere here on The Witcher forums websites. But this was a fresh new rumor I heard 2 weeks ago. NeoGAF or some place don't remember what website it was on because it was in the comments section. Well we will see what DirectX 12 really is capable of whenever Microsoft releases DirectX 12.

Does that look like I said oh look DirectX 12 is better than AMD's Mantle API? I mentioned rumor like 2 times.

Microsoft doesn't innovate. They only copy. This is not a bad way to run a business. It allows others to take the risk and eat the expense of establishing a market for new technology. When a competitor has opened a market, Microsoft is second or third in with what they claim is a revolutionary new product that is revolutionary only in the advertising of it. When a competitor threatens a market Microsoft dominates, they try to kill off the competitor by using FUD, by proclaiming closed specifications to be somehow standards, or by announcing vaporware. When a competitor has a product they want to use, they just steal it. Sometimes they get caught, as when the EU forced them to disclose their server protocols or i4i forced them to remove stolen data structures from Word.

If there really is a DirectX 12, it will be no more innovative than AMD's Mantle or nVidia's OpenGL extensions are already, and it will be later and less and only marketed as greater.

Microsoft doesn't innovate. They only copy. This is not a bad way to run a business. It allows others to take the risk and eat the expense of establishing a market for new technology. When a competitor has opened a market, Microsoft is second or third in with what they claim is a revolutionary new product that is revolutionary only in the advertising of it. When a competitor threatens a market Microsoft dominates, they try to kill off the competitor by using FUD, by proclaiming closed specifications to be somehow standards, or by announcing vaporware. When a competitor has a product they want to use, they just steal it. Sometimes they get caught, as when the EU forced them to disclose their server protocols or i4i forced them to remove stolen data structures from Word.

If there really is a DirectX 12, it will be no more innovative than AMD's Mantle or nVidia's OpenGL extensions are already, and it will be later and less and only marketed as greater.
I think AMD copied Microsoft. I read that AMD's Mantle API translates DirectX 11's HLSA or whatever into their own translation.

I don't know anything about the European Union (EU) forcing Microsoft to disclose their server protocols I wasn't really interested in it. Same thing with the i4i stolen data structures used in Word.

Isn't it when one company announces something that does stuff really good then another company announces that they can do better than that company innovation?

So since AMD said Mantle can do 100,000 drawcalls and Microsoft announces DirectX 12 and says that DirectX 12 can do way more than 100,000 drawcalls is that not innovation?

Or like for example Mercedes Benz says look at our $40,000 dollars (USD) luxury model gets 50 MPG then Ford says look we got a $20,000 dollars (USD) luxury model that gets 60 MPG and has all the safety equipment standard. That's copying?

Copying is what China does and sells knock offs.

DirectX is targeting holidays 2015 and they didn't say anything solid during presentation on GDC. Also it seems that you will need Windows 8 to run DirectX 12.

DirectX is targeting holidays 2015 and they didn't say anything solid during presentation on GDC. Also it seems that you will need Windows 8 to run DirectX 12.
Well Nvidia said they will support DirectX 12 on Fermi, Kepler, and Maxwell. Doesn't Fermi go to like the 400 series? So Windows 7 should definitely be supported. Also I made a topic about it we can discuss there.

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...veald-at-GDC-2014-by-Microsoft-AMD-and-Nvidia

Since this one is about Mantle.

You mean Microsoft will restrict DX12 to Win 8 as way to increase sales? Or is there some kind of inherent system call or driver structure in Windows 8 that is required by DX12? I think we know the answer.

You mean Microsoft will restrict DX12 to Win 8 as way to increase sales? Or is there some kind of inherent system call or driver structure in Windows 8 that is required by DX12? I think we know the answer.

Microsoft said that ~50% of gamers will have PCs ready for DirectX 12, but if you sum up video cards that were listed as compatible with DirectX 12 then you will see that they already have over 50% of market, so it must means that there will be some kind of OS restriction. My bet is that it will be to increase sales of W8.

Microsoft said that ~50% of gamers will have PCs ready for DirectX 12, but if you sum up video cards that were listed as compatible with DirectX 12 then you will see that they already have over 50% of market, so it must means that there will be some kind of OS restriction. My bet is that it will be to increase sales of W8.

It's probably Win Vista and DX10 all over again.

Well, we have to wait until Xmas of 2015 so there is hope that W9 will be good and that it will be released by then :p.

There's always OpenGL and non Windows systems, which CDPR seems to be interested in :) So chances are everything will be OK regardless of what M$ does.

More likely the latter. There were deep changes in the display driver model between XP and Vista; that's why we never got DX10 on XP. There are also deep changes between 7 and 8. And as much as I detest Windows 8's userland, I admit the display driver model makes huge improvements.

The newly announced Civilization: Beyond Earth also will support Mantle. Should really help in a CPU-bound game like this.

Top Bottom