Martial Arts in 2077.

+
I'm sure I've commented in this thread before, but I can't remember if I've commented on the specific issue on the table. Can't be arsed to go back through the thread right now. =p Soooo...

I wouldn't want any kind of combo system. Not because I dislike games with fighting mechanics, but I'm not convinced that you can mesh good RPG mechanics with anything more complex than, say, the fight mechanics of Saints Row 2 (which mostly had combat styles as flavor, rather than any kind of deep or complex H2H / melee mechanic.)

I certainly don't expect a melee system on par with Tekken / Dead or Alive / Soul Caliber / Bushido Blade / etc. out of this game. If they *can* include a complex melee system, that'd be fantastic, but I neither expect nor require it for this game.

I wouldn't want any kind of combo system. Not because I dislike games with fighting mechanics, but I'm not convinced that you can mesh good RPG mechanics with anything more complex than, say, the fight mechanics of Saints Row 2
Gothic 1 and 2. Great melee fight mechanics. Positional as much as anything. Timing and position. Combos consisted of timing your hits on your target.

That's mostly all I'd like. A few attack/counterattack styles, activated by key presses, used in conjunction with movement and timing.

Batman AA and AC. it's just such a slick system, the combos actually add to it, but asking for that on top of everything else just seems ambitious.

Batman AA and AC. it's just such a slick system, the combos actually add to it, but asking for that on top of everything else just seems ambitious.

I guess. I found it pretty dull, even on Hard. I didn't feel much sense of control in my attacks. It was fun for awhile, but paled after the firs hour and became mostly a case of watching what neat things Batman does when you press "A'.

Probably helps if your terrible at games then, i can only finish it on easy and spend a lot of time countering too.

Well. Just a decent hand to hand system and melee with punches, kicks, grabs, bars and throws would be nice. There isn't really much difference between martial arts on the streets. Most of them are more or less similarily useless :) And all of them have some techniques that can be used succesfully in the street. But some differentiation would be nice.
A fast style - something like light weight boxing mixed with korean MAs. Lightning offbalanced kicks, fast series of punches, weak spot attacks.
A strong style - where muay thay meets ju jitsu. Powerful kicks and devastating close range punches mixed with ability to get an opponent to the ground for a submission.
A balanced style - a little of this and a little of that, good in any situation like MMA.
A military style - fast, brutal, effective and not that pretty. Like US Army MAC system or good old Sambo.
But doing a good system for a game would be a difficult task if not impossible except for some rudimentary moves and combos.

Probably helps if your terrible at games then, i can only finish it on easy and spend a lot of time countering too.

I'm pretty terrible at games.

I do like the counters - it's the part I felt was most interactive.

@ atomowyturysta - CP2020 has lots of styles with different attacks and bonuses. They could just grab five or six from the books and be good. Please no Panzerfaust.

Actually, I love the idea of Panzerfaust. Just fix the stupid bonuses and damage, please.

I guess one of the main things we will need to be looking for is what the fighting is like in TW3, what with it being built in the same engine by the same people...

There you go Wis, another reason you should look forward to that release!

And as far as styles go, I'll be happy as long ad I get a soft form like Aikido or Tai Chi.

EDIT:
Also, I am sure that CDPR will also add in some sort of pit fighting minigame, like they did in The Witcher. Now that will probably be where styles could come into their own.

And I for one don't want such a minigame to be a dead end, I want the option to run with it and fight my way up to being a big name.

Last edited:
+ Will approach:
1) Hand-to-hand Fight
2) Sambo.
3) Aikido
Battles have to be really brutal!
the +boyevy system as Batman AA is happy is spectacular but bothers already through a floor of hour of game, and the military unit of the witcher 2 doesn't impress forgive me)
P.S a life Strip over the enemy it too already rather settling idea in some games.

Even though it was a broken mess, Sleeping Dogs did martial arts thing pretty well.. There were little to no combo deal and you could kick and grapple your enemies..

There were only one fighting style in Sleeping Dogs, but for CP77, there could be something like a weapon selector menu where you could pick between fighting styles you have learned.. (by spending points) Your weapon would holster when you pick a fighting style..

Even though it was a broken mess, Sleeping Dogs did martial arts thing pretty well.. There were little to no combo deal and you could kick and grapple your enemies..

There were only one fighting style in Sleeping Dogs, but for CP77, there could be something like a weapon selector menu where you could pick between fighting styles you have learned.. (by spending points) Your weapon would holster when you pick a fighting style..

That's not a bad idea. It would mean that you could still use rifle butts and pistol whips to hit people with melee attacks prior to switching over to a dedicated melee technique.

broken mess? How so?

broken mess? How so?

Before the update, combat controls were unbelievably sluggish and unresponsive.. You could claim that the PC version is just a bad port, but console versions were not any better.. One time, i was fighting with these three gangsters, i started to click attack button, only to see my character stand motionless while they beat the shit out of him.. Just before my character died, he flinched as if fight was just started, he punched the air and just died.. I didn't play the game for a very long time, but i hear they fixed the most problems..

Before the update, combat controls were unbelievably sluggish and unresponsive.. You could claim that the PC version is just a bad port, but console versions were not any better.. One time, i was fighting with these three gangsters, i started to click attack button, only to see my character stand motionless while they beat the shit out of him.. Just before my character died, he flinched as if fight was just started, he punched the air and just died.. I didn't play the game for a very long time, but i hear they fixed the most problems..

Never had that problem on the PS3....

Never had that problem on the PS3....

Perhaps you started playing after the initial release.. Because one of my friends had it on PS3 and he had about same problems.. They fixed it with an update couple of months after the release..

Perhaps you started playing after the initial release.. Because one of my friends had it on PS3 and he had about same problems.. They fixed it with an update couple of months after the release..

Nope, I bought it on release, one of the very last games I did that for, the other being GTA V.... SR3 soured me on the idea, but some things I will overlook my own common sense for...

Top Bottom