Maybe allowing to use oils in combat is a good idea?

+
Maybe allowing to use oils in combat is a good idea?

So far I've had a few boss monster fights that started right after a dialog and were quite unexpected. And i wasn't able to use an appropriate oil because the battle began immediately.. That felt kinda unfair. And i can't use an oil beforehand, like "just in case something goes wrong" because it lasts only for like 20 hits so it's obviously meant to be applied only before the right battle.
And once again - please add an active oil indicator to the status effects area so it could be seen in game, not only in the inventory.

They only last for 20 hits if you never upgrade them and/or never get the appropriate skills. If you like oils, upgrade them (to get 10 more charges per upgrade) and get the skill (to get 100% more uses). Alchemy skill line is pretty amazing anyway.

oils reinforce the idea that witchers prepare for fights anyway, allowing them to be used in combat destroys a part of the immersion imo.

I *always* have an oil on the swords. With the Steel it is a 50/50 chance that it is the right one... Beast or Hanged Man... with silver it is a bit trickier... but I seldom go wrong having Necrophage oil on the blade when travelling, and switch to a named oil when hunting a quest or contract monster as I near the final location. While the 20 uses do wear off quite fast, the oil can be re-applied as often as it is needed... (or 40 for enhanced, still waiting for ingredients for my first superior).

I've also not had trouble opening the inventory and re-applying oils during lulls in the fight. (Not ever tried it when I should be dodging, but immediately after dodging backwards and before the mobs catch up again... I am fairly sure it works).

I too think you should be able to use them in battle, what's the point of me spending time to make every oil possible only to not be able to use it in a tough boss fight that I had no idea was coming. I'm just going to have to start reloading saves all the time and that's no fun.

Umm, I've been able to apply oils while in combat all the time. I'm also able to switch bombs and potions out while in combat.

Oils in battle would be nice and a buff icon showing kind and uses left. I tried to apply one after a dialogue but it does not work in combat.

Oils in battle would be nice and a buff icon showing kind and uses left. I tried to apply one after a dialogue but it does not work in combat.

Like I said above I've been able to apply oils in battle... Blood and Broken Bones difficulty. So I don't know what the issue is that others are having. I agree that a buff icon with a counter would be very nice.

Like I said above I've been able to apply oils in battle... Blood and Broken Bones difficulty. So I don't know what the issue is that others are having. I agree that a buff icon with a counter would be very nice.

Sounds more like you have some sort of bug.

To everyone who thinks it's okay the way it is - have you fought a higher vampire during one of the quests in Novigrad? I don't want to spoil it, so i just say it comes totally unexpected and the battle starts right away giving no chance to prepare an oil. And at the same time i can go to inventory and place the right potions and bombs into slots, even eat some food without leaving that screen, so why not use an oil too? Every other preparation is doable. Alchemy - of course shouldn't be available, but using what you already got - i think it's okay.
And even if my oil is advanced and lasts 40 hits - it's still not much, i can't run around and reapply it just in case, it's obviously made so to use it when it's meant to be used, not constantly. I got like 8 or 10 oils on me, so it's not even close to a 50/50 chance to guess right..

Last edited:
To apply oil in combat rather than clicking the oil, drag it instead on the sword you want to apply it to.

Hah. That must be the reason.

In 70 hours of playtime I've been using oils during combat all the time.

To apply oil in combat rather than clicking the oil, drag it instead on the sword you want to apply it to.

Hopefully this will work on the ps4. This may be the difference. I'm not sure if I can drag anything with a controller.

---------- Updated at 07:54 PM ----------

Yeah you definitely can't drag and drop oils on console so it must be a bug. Any time I try to put oils on during combat it says you can't use oils in combat so I guess you're not supposed to be able to.

Top Bottom