Media, News & Previews Thread

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, so with E3 done, we have some info, we have a trailer and some screenshots. It's actually a bit surprising how closely they're following TW3's marketing. I guess it was successful for them, so it shouldn't be a surprise but still.

Anyway, main takeaways for me from all the information that has been released: game sounds very ambitious. That's not really a surprise to me, though - people not being blown away would have been unexpected. They were able to pull off TW3 on vodka, sheer will and a relatively small budget and team, and that game has yet to be surpassed imo. Now, with the success of TW3, they actually have the funds and infrastructure to deliver big, so I am excited.

That said, here are the things that did not excite me all that much... As I've already said, "street cred" I just don't really trust. It sounds like it's tied more to just side activites and is CDPR's answer to people complaining about side stuff in TW3 not feeling rewarding. I... don't know, I'm wary because I have seen similar systems in ME3 and DA:I, and I remember the grind, and I just didn't like it. Hopefully, "street cred" is just there for side stuff, and any side quests that can affect the main quest are not restricted by the system. And ideally, the player will have an option to get around "street cred" restrictions via other means.

Class system - honestly, I was hoping CDPR were going to deliver a more traditional cRPG experience here, but on a next level. Origin stories based on selected class, that have really big effect on the story and gameplay. Sounds like they're essentially playing it safe with sticking to 3 combat archetypes (reminiscent of TW3's sign/alchemy/combat archetypes) and so that was a bit disappointing to me. That said, character customisation still seems like it will play a bigger role than it did in TW3 (where playing as Geralt, there obviously wasn't much room for variation). They also seem to be stressing that choice will have significant consequences, so that is good to hear - I really hope we start getting closer to Witcher 2 levels of C&C, as TW3 was a bit of a step back in that regard (still living up to Witcher 1 levels, however).

Dialogue - I have heard some mixed feeling on this, and if the narration of the trailer (which made me feel like I was listening to a Ubisoft trailer) is anything to go by, I am going to be a bit apprehensive. CDPR have done a fantastic job with dialogue and writing in the past, so I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt here. Hopefully, they don't rely on too many tropes and "cool, edgy" writing.

Now, onto things I liked and/or found interesting: combat and the different approaches players can take sounds solid, I hope the shooting feels good. The Witcher series never managed to really nail the combat, hopefully with CP they finally get there. The crowd system sounds cool, although I have to wonder, while I am sure that for a short demo the variations and dynamic feel of the crowd might have felt amazing, I suspect that it will get less impressive the more you play and the more you start noticing repeating patterns. Still, sounds like they've made a big advancement there, so I'm happy. Vehicles - yes.

Now, looking at the future, seeing how closely they seem to be following TW3's marketing strategy, what I expect is some more screenshots and bits and pieces of info from Gamescom, but nothing major. Probably a trailer that reveals some more of the story at the Game Awards? Then next E3 we get extended gameplay and a release date. Now, if TW3 is anything to go by, release would be 2020. But. The game seems to be farther along in dev than TW3 was when they first showed it. I remember that first trailer and it was really janky in places. Also worth noting is that for TW3, they intended to release the game in 2014, so I would not be surprised if next E3, they do a Fallout-style release date reveal of late 2019.

Also, it's really cool seeing how far CDPR have come since their humble beginnings. Being in the corner of the BioWare E3 2004 booth vs. being the "mic drop" of the MS conference and having industry legends personally visit the CP booth. I am happy for them and hope they stay awesome.

Anyway, all in all, exciting stuff, looking forward to more details and the eventual release.

Last edited:
Adam Badowsk
“Nudity is important for us because of one reason,” Badowski said. “This is cyberpunk, so people augment their body. So the body is no longer sacrum [sacred]; it’s profanum [profane]. Because people modify everything, they are losing their connection to the body, to the meat. And that’s why we need to use the nudity in many situations.

“You see that there are bodies in the tub, and you need to take care of this woman. But at the same time she is augmented,” he continued, searching for the right words. “She is not clean. Maybe she is augmented too much. Maybe the humanity level is pretty low in her, so it’s an interesting topic. It’s one of the key themes in cyberpunk. The very first scenes in the original Ghost in the Shell anime show exactly the same aspect. Because where is sacrum and where is profanum in a world when you can simply modify yourself to such limits that it makes you a different kind of person? It’s one of the most important themes in cyberpunk, as a genre.”
Full nudity guys, press F to pay respects :)

152058790111891357.png

Imo, people would've freaked out whatever happened, they just want to see the game, and journalists reactions, being hyped and all didn't helped at all

Last time they showed gameplay people ranted about the downgrade so I wont blame them.

Last edited:
Adam Badowsk
“Nudity is important for us because of one reason,” Badowski said. “This is cyberpunk, so people augment their body. So the body is no longer sacrum [sacred]; it’s profanum [profane]. Because people modify everything, they are losing their connection to the body, to the meat. And that’s why we need to use the nudity in many situations.

“You see that there are bodies in the tub, and you need to take care of this woman. But at the same time she is augmented,” he continued, searching for the right words. “She is not clean. Maybe she is augmented too much. Maybe the humanity level is pretty low in her, so it’s an interesting topic. It’s one of the key themes in cyberpunk. The very first scenes in the original Ghost in the Shell anime show exactly the same aspect. Because where is sacrum and where is profanum in a world when you can simply modify yourself to such limits that it makes you a different kind of person? It’s one of the most important themes in cyberpunk, as a genre.”
Full nudity guys, press F to pay respects :)
Did Witcher trilogy also had augmentations? Or there are other reasons there is nudity and brothels and sex scenes? I wish developers would stop coming up with stupid excuses to have sexiness in their games. Like Kojima and Quiet breathing through here skin nonsense. People like tits and butts, you like tits and butts so you put that in your game. And thats ok, you dont need to come up with excuses. You had poster of naked Triss in your hallway ffs.

Dialog so far is the biggest concern. Very mixed impressions when it comes to writing and VO.

She's not impressed by the writing, says it's too stereotypically cyberpunk and "in your face".

This was always my concern. That they won't be able to find the right footing with narrative once they leave The Witcher. But it also has to be said many people thought the writing and VOs were good.

I wouldnt worry about writing at all, CDPR has very capable writing team and the writing style cant be the same like in fantasy game. From what i read some people were put off by words like *cunt* etc... I dont know what they expect from degenerate world and people. Same with cliches, there will be cyberpunk cliches because without them it wont be cyberpunk anymore.

@En-en Witcher series lack frontal nudity from what i remember. Demo had full frontal nudity.

Last edited:
I wouldnt worry about writing at all, CDPR has very capable writing team and the writing style cant be the same like in fantasy game. From what i read some people where put off by words like *cunt* etc... I dont know what they expect from degenerate world and people. Same with cliches, there will be cyberpunk cliches because without them it wont be cyberpunk anymore.

They bombed the main villains and endings in TW3. This was the first time I saw bad writing by them and it was at the worst possible moment in the series. So I can't help but be concerned about them getting this aspect right. It's like 90% of why I like their games. And it wasn't just me who saw these flaws. Anyone here after the release of that game remembers their lead writer on here apologizing.

> I am enjoying the dialog in W3.

> I am not familiarize with Cyberpunk, "niche" what makes a world to be that "cliche", but since this game will go for full nostalgia to that type of genre and for sure there will be easter eggs that will hint the meaning of the true feeling of it from books, original source and movies it seems that this game is in a sweet spot right now, by being the first.

> And besides we dealing with a game from the one of the godfathers of the genre. [as so it has been shown]. So this will feel like the first game that will tap into the genre as a whole.

> I have never seen a story regarding this world that have depicted it as it supposed to, or at least as it has been ever since [going from what they have talked in videos] so I imagine all kinds of...tropes? If you can refereed it as such.

@En-en Witcher series lack frontal nudity from what i remember. Demo had full frontal nudity.
Witcher 2 had frontal nudity. Actually, the first thing you see in prologue is fully naked Triss. I even remember some people complaining that CdProjekt got scared and toned down sexual content in Witcher 3 or something like that.
They bombed the main villains and endings in TW3. This was the first time I saw bad writing by them and it was at the worst possible moment in the series. So I can't help but be concerned about them getting this aspect right. It's like 90% of why I like their games. And it wasn't just me who saw these flaws. Anyone here after the release of that game remembers their lead writer on here apologizing.
Yeah, dialog and C&C is the main reason I love their games and if after 5 years of waiting dialog is not going to be at least ''very good'' its going to be a huge disapointment.

They bombed the main villains and endings in TW3.
They did and then a few months later created a story that came out to be the peak of CDPR’s writing.

I mean, after what I saw in TW3 I’m really not worried about quality of dialogues AT ALL, I’m condfident on that front. As of cliche characters - if you only play a small chunk of their previous games, characters in TW3 for example will appear slightly cliche too. Geralt - tough guy on te outside but deep down he’s emotional and mature. Vesemir - an old mentor. Yennefer - a cold, pragmatic character. It’s not until you spend many hours with these characters, dig into the story and dialogues until you notice that, in many cases, they are deep and complex, very human.

That being said the concerns are real and slightly worrying tbh. Just hope they will keep the quality of their writing up in this one. Consideringthe complexity of the games world and supposed non-linearity I don’t expect to see anything more than what they’ve already presented in TW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom