Merchant Crash

+
Merchant Crash

Since the recent update I've been unable to sell anything on merchants, as the game crashes almost inmediatly. I've tried to erase the game and download again, but the problem persists. There's any solution or I've to wait to a fix trough a new update?

I have similar situation.
If I try sell items or compare them then game will very often crash (error CE-34878-0)
If I download a save or restart the console then it might work some time without crashing in those situations.
Before last update (1.50) this didn't happen

My game is Game of the Year edition (Digital) and version is 1.50 (latest that I can get)
and my system is PS4 Pro version 5.0
My Playstation account is registered in Finland.

I really hope that there is fix coming, because this game is so awesome..

Last edited:
Hi guys.

I just created this account specifically to post and comment on this topic both of you are also having.
I have the exact same problem with my game, which only started to occur after the newly released 1.50 patch for the Playstation 4 Pro.
My version is also the Game of the Year edition, which came with patch 1.31 pre-installed; and my PS4 pro has the new 5.0 version installed also.
The constant game crashing happens whenever I am comparing Items using L2 from my personal Stash, a Merchant, Herbalist, Armorer or any Shop, really, giving me the blue error screen: CE-34878-0 everytime.
I have noticed, however, that it occurs more frequently and ''easier'' if you are using the Bigger highlight font size, compared to the smaller one. Also, for me atleast, it doesn't happen that often when comparing items from within your inventory screen.
I also noticed that if you hold down L2, then releasing the L2 button and press the button to go to the next item, then holding L2 again, makes you able to avoid the crashing sometimes. In other words, I've had somewhat ''good'' results with isolating the bug to be a 'sure winner' whenever I hold L2 down while cycling through my various items.

In any case, this is a really annoying and quite frankly frustrating bug / glitch that seemingly got introduced with patch 1.50, and I sincerely hope it will be fixed as soon as possible!

P.S. Did you guys also start suffering with loud PS4 fan noises and heat, and in-game latency and cutscene / dialogue stuttering issues as of patch 1.50? I did / do, which is rather off, considering the patch was intended to FIX stuff and boost the framerates.

Scrancher;n9663801 said:
Hi guys.

I just created this account specifically to post and comment on this topic both of you are also having.
I have the exact same problem with my game, which only started to occur after the newly released 1.50 patch for the Playstation 4 Pro.
My version is also the Game of the Year edition, which came with patch 1.31 pre-installed; and my PS4 pro has the new 5.0 version installed also.
The constant game crashing happens whenever I am comparing Items using L2 from my personal Stash, a Merchant, Herbalist, Armorer or any Shop, really, giving me the blue error screen: CE-34878-0 everytime.
I have noticed, however, that it occurs more frequently and ''easier'' if you are using the Bigger highlight font size, compared to the smaller one. Also, for me atleast, it doesn't happen that often when comparing items from within your inventory screen.
I also noticed that if you hold down L2, then releasing the L2 button and press the button to go to the next item, then holding L2 again, makes you able to avoid the crashing sometimes. In other words, I've had somewhat ''good'' results with isolating the bug to be a 'sure winner' whenever I hold L2 down while cycling through my various items.

In any case, this is a really annoying and quite frankly frustrating bug / glitch that seemingly got introduced with patch 1.50, and I sincerely hope it will be fixed as soon as possible!

P.S. Did you guys also start suffering with loud PS4 fan noises and heat, and in-game latency and cutscene / dialogue stuttering issues as of patch 1.50? I did / do, which is rather off, considering the patch was intended to FIX stuff and boost the framerates.

I too got my first crash since i started playing. And surprise it's after i installed the new patch.
I'm also experiencing loud Fan noises since the patch. All and all i'm not enjoying this new 1.50 patch, and hope that they will reverse it or find a fix soon.

Scrancher;n9663801 said:
Hi guys.

Yes, it happens to me too. It's quite annoying. I hope they will fix it soon, because it's my first play and want to keep playing. I'm on PS4 for and Game of the Year edition.

I've read that some countries have already gotten the 1.51 patch, that supposedly should fix bugs and stabilize certain things. I don't know if it fixes the issues we are having after 1.50, though.
Let's hope that CDPR will address the PS4 stuttering, crash and stuff soon!

As usual, certain issues may arise or cannot be fixed unless you begin a new game under the new patch version. If that's not an option, try the old unequip everything --> dump inventory into stash --> transition to new area (e.g. go from Velen to Skellige) --> grab items from stash again.

That should create new instances of your items, and may avoid the crash.

SigilFey;n9669761 said:
As usual, certain issues may arise or cannot be fixed unless you begin a new game under the new patch version. If that's not an option, try the old unequip everything --> dump inventory into stash --> transition to new area (e.g. go from Velen to Skellige) --> grab items from stash again.

Are you telling me that I'll have to restart the game every time there's and update? For real? I can understand that when you're talking about a beta game or something in development, but not from a published game. And not from a "game of the year" publisher that, at least, should provide a good experience.

I've tried your solution, but the game crashes too on the stash screen. And after reading your answer, I'll certaintly not wait for a new update. What for? To restart again in a couple of months? I bought a game to play it from beginning to the end, not to replay the same parts one time and another.

Thanks for your reply SigilFey, but, and no offense Sir and / or Madam, but that is complete and utter BULLSHIT!

I pretty recently purchased the game--a game over 2 years old by now, mind you--for the first time, and for my ps4 pro (GOTY Edition), and these issues started to happening after that damned 1.50 patch. To tell me / us to start a new game due to a corrupt patch CDPR slung out to us, is simply not acceptable, and quite frankly is an insult to all of us!
Please fix it!

Janherbergh;n9670241 said:
Are you telling me that I'll have to restart the game every time there's and update? For real?

Nope. :) Just a toss of the dice. The longer a single playthrough has been played, the more variables have been introduced, and the more likely something, somewhere, won't line up perfectly if the game-state changes (due to a patch). In computer terms, that means bugs / glitches / weirdness. If it occurs, there may be no workaround other than reloading older saves or beginning a new game to prevent the issue from occurring. (This is actually a very common issue with large, open-world RPGs.)

As always, feel free to send the issue into CDPR Support:

http://en.cdprojektred.com/contact-support/

Scrancher;n9670921 said:
Thanks for your reply SigilFey, but, and no offense Sir and / or Madam, but that is complete and utter BULLSHIT!

Nope. :) It's a process of mathematical exclusion based on human error in over 1,000,000 lines of code. If the problem can be fixed, then I'm sure it will be. But, as stated above, there are simply too many potential variables in any one player's given playthrough to even identify every issue. Or successfully recreate them, for that matter.

This was a sizable patch that changed some heavy-duty core mechanics, and it does seem to have some issues. Stay tuned...

Last edited:
SigilFey;n9669761 said:

I managed to do that stash swap trick.
I placed everything from inventory including armors and weapons that Geralt was using at the moment and mutagens that was in use in character menu. I dumped inventory into stash in Bloody Baron's castle and traveled to Skellige to get my gear back (Just like SigilFey told)

So far no crashes. I will inform u guys if it starts crashing again.
I hope that there is patch coming that fixes this. It took about two hours to do that stash trick (so many items and after every click I had to wait 2-5 sec when stash was loading)

PanzerChakal;n9672331 said:
I managed to do that stash swap trick.
I placed everything from inventory including armors and weapons that Geralt was using at the moment and mutagens that was in use in character menu. I dumped inventory into stash in Bloody Baron's castle and traveled to Skellige to get my gear back (Just like SigilFey told)

So far no crashes. I will inform u guys if it starts crashing again.
I hope that there is patch coming that fixes this. It took about two hours to do that stash trick (so many items and after every click I had to wait 2-5 sec when stash was loading)

Great to hear! It's been an issue for players with each patch (PC, Xbox, and PS4). Nothing that can be done to prevent it, I'm afraid -- :( -- it's simply a result of old item IDs not cooperating with the new version. Doing the swap / travel / pickup thing simply allows the game to create new instances of the items.

Sadly, it won't work for everyone. If crashes continue, feel free to send it into CDPR Support. Or just sell off the gear that seems to be causing the problem.

After couple of hours it crashed again when I was comparing items at merchant. Then I restarted the game and compared items etc. again then it didn't crash ... So I'm not sure if its fixed or not.

Ps. I also changed size of description at the inventory like someone said before... Not sure if it helped
PPs. Does anyone know if that 1.51 update is coming for ps4 pro too or is it only for normal ps4?

I sort it out searching (by trial and mistake, which toke a couple of hours) what items were the culprits of the crash. In my case, I had in my inventory the griffin armor while searching for the materials for upgrading it. I tossed the armor set in the ground and I was able to leave the other items in a stash without crashing the game. I saved and loaded again. The equipment was still on the ground and I was able to get it again. So far, seems the game is not crashing anymore with merchants, but I'm still quite mad about the whole mess and the moderators response. And I'm not sure if I want to keep playing if this sort of thing can happen again.

And my game is crashing again... How about yours game Janherbergh?
I'm going to send this to CDPR support.. I hope they can do something about this.

I tried the method SigilFey posted. While it does seem to halt the crash for a short amount of time, it didn't actually fix it, as the crash soon started to reappear. For the incredibly long time it takes to fully empty and retake all of your items and equipment, the ''solution'' is not worth it in my opinion. I will say again, that changing the description font to the smallest of the two choices, makes the crash less frequent.
On a sidenote, has the Inventory and Stash tab always been really choppy and slow for you guys also, even when just a few items are stored in either?

SigilFey. The way you are writing indicates, (to me atleast), that there actually are unintentionally errors and the like, introduced with patch 1.50. Well, while it's obvious that there are for us, the consumers, are CDPR aware of them, and what is the official word of a follow-up patch to fix bugs and crashes, as well as stabilize the game for us none 4K users? I can't stress enough, that with my 100+ hours of gameplay at patch 1.31, I can not put a single finger on any complaints whatsoever! It all went downhill with 1.50. At the very least, a patch mirroring 1.31 for us without 4K Tv's would be the best overall, if a direct fix for the issues and errors can't be made.

Scrancher;n9675621 said:
For the incredibly long time it takes to fully empty and retake all of your items and equipment, the ''solution'' is not worth it in my opinion.

This is a truth in certain cases. If you can figure out what inventory items are causing the crash, selling them or disposing of them may be the only workaround. Out of curiosity, do you have an extremely high number of any particular items? If the bug disappears and reappears, it could be a result of the engine reaching its limit assigning values to individual inventory items (as discussed in this thread). That should only be an issue with extremely long playthroughs, though.

Other than that, it might be an issue that arises with carrying a high number of runestones / glyphs.

Scrancher;n9675621 said:
The way you are writing indicates, (to me atleast), that there actually are unintentionally errors and the like, introduced with patch 1.50...

If something changes with a program as complex as TW3, there are bound to be issues. That's true of any big RPG with any patch. These types of games are not like linear shooters or an RTS games that works in "missions". Even games like GTA or The Phantom Pain need not focus on so many variables. Games like The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Divinity: OS, and TW3, have both huge worlds, non-linear progression, non-linear character development, non-linear customization options, and all the normal "open world" stuff. It's passingly common for such issues to exist, and issues have existed in all of the titles above. (It's simply that not every player encounters them every time, as many bugs are up to very specific combinations of player choice / actions.)

It's also a reality that many bugs that occur between updates can not be fixed retroactively with this style of game. They can be worked around in the present playthrough, but the only way to correct the issue is to prevent it from ever occurring in the first place. That requires the dreaded "begin a new game". I can't begin to list the number of times I've hit the problem since playing the Ultima games in 1980's. Simply too many variables to ever 100% avoid it. It's simply a reality of huge, complex, non-linear, open world RPGs. (And yes, it is super-uber-chocolate-covered-annoying-with-rainbow-sprinkles-and-a-side-of-WTF-dipping-sauce.)

For now, anyone that is encountering issues with inventory, send a report into CDPR Tech Support and try to include a saved game, if possible.

http://en.cdprojektred.com/contact-support/

As soon as we know anything more about future plans, we'll let you know!

SigilFey thank you for your informative post.
I know this is slightly off-topic, as I have sort of posted what I am writing here, in another thread. But looking away from the merchant crash bug and into the patch 1.50 dilemma: is there any word or plan to fix the cutscene and dialogue stuttering, general framerate drops and such? To me, it's perfectly clear that patch 1.50 brought these with it, and yeah, more heavyload on the ps4 console possibly can't be avoided, when the higher resolution and such was implemented with that patch.
However, that is utterly unfortunate for us, like me, that haven't got a 4K tv, but uses a PS4 Pro on a 1080p tv. We get no added visual fidelity, and even with boost mode on or off (which do no difference as of 1.50), we started getting general framerate drops, loud console fan noises, stuttering and lag which leads to inventory / stash crashes. All of which wasn't there with patch 1.31.
What I would really wish for and hope, is a patch (and hopefully soon) that, not unlike Horizon: Zero Dawn, makes us able to choose whether or not to utilize the ps4 pro's extra hardware capabilities for native 1080p, or have the game render in 4K at the cost of slightly more input lag etc. A choice, that we haven't gotten in Witcher 3, which I think is wrong, unfair and a bad deal overall.

Scrancher;n9676061 said:
What I would really wish for and hope, is a patch (and hopefully soon) that, not unlike Horizon: Zero Dawn, makes us able to choose whether or not to utilize the ps4 pro's extra hardware capabilities for native 1080p, or have the game render in 4K at the cost of slightly more input lag etc. A choice, that we haven't gotten in Witcher 3, which I think is wrong, unfair and a bad deal overall.

I hear you. The transition to 2K / 4K resolutions is going to be a major industry transition. I honestly don't know what the issue is insofar as preventing players from opting between 1080p and higher res, but I think it may be down to marketing issues. These types of things can create really stupid requirements. However, it could be a limitation in the OS on the console as well. I just don't know.

What I can say is that forcing a 4K resolution on the standard PS will likely not be an option, as its hardware simply can not handle it. It simply wouldn't run. (This wouldn't result in "input lag"...it would result in 2-5 FPS followed by a crash and a burning video card.) I agree fully that the present situation is definitely more toward scowls and Spock-like eyebrow raising than clapping and Kirk-like grins. I'm not sure what the situation is on PS4, but if possible, begin a new game and see if the issues exist. It could also be a problem with the save-state and the new version. (Also try the "Rebuild Database" thing that Sunsibar suggests.)

Scrancher;n9676061 said:
is there any word or plan to fix the cutscene and dialogue stuttering, general framerate drops and such?
SigilFey;n9675871 said:
As soon as we know anything more about future plans, we'll let you know!

I'm just so sad, annoyed and quite frustated about this whole ordeal, to be honest.

I own and use a Full HD 1080p Tv, and a PS4 Pro. I purchased the Witcher 3 Game of the year edition around 3 weeks back, which introduced me to the whole universe and such. Never went for the whole Witcher train prior to my Witcher 3 purchase. And for my 122 hours of gametime played (prior to patch 1.50), I hadn't had a single issue with the game at all! Then this patch 1.50/1.51 comes around, and pretty much makes the experience not enjoyable from that point onwards; as the general open-world roaming lags, pretty much all cutscenes and dialogue sequences stutters a lot, crashes starts to occur, and in turn makes the actual ps4 pro console fan's noise very much heard, which it wasn't before.
Again, I understand that with the 4K patch, some performance issues can arise (even though the patch notes stated some stability etc), but for us without that 4K tv, it's just a downright stutter fest to play now!

I have posted to CDPR's tech support department, but is there other and better ways to contact them, so we can hopefully get a patch that makes us able to choose whether or not to use this 1.50 patch? Quite literally, patch 1.31 was perfect, in every single sense of the word.

Top Bottom