Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

+
The violence doesn´t bother me, in fact I like it. Show me the nasty stuff, no problem with that.

What does bother me is the wraith-possessed main character, which is totally lore breaking. What´s the need to mess with lore that way?

Apparently the wraith is Celebrimbor of Hollin, friend to the Dwarves of Moria, greatest craftsman of the age, from whom Sauron stole the knowledge of ringmaking. He's a Noldorim of course, from the line of the cursed sons of Feanor, so he's quite bound up with the ring and its forging. Lends a bit more interesting substance to the lore, always wondered if the lore of ringmaking came down from Feanor, with his pride and genius.

Looks a bit QTE heavy for me, but that snippet got me interested.

Actually that seems acceptable, though I still don;t think I'm interested in this game at all. Pretty sure he actually learned what he needed for ringmaking from Sauron, it was all part of the plan :p

@Kudos: He had a lot to learn from his family legacy, after all he was Fëanor's grandson, and son of Curufin, to whom presumably Fëanor transferred most of his knowledge. Sauron added to that knowledge trying to corrupt it in the process, but he knew quite a lot on his own.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's something that makes me feel very uncertain that the game will be good - might have something to do with it being a fairly uncreative mix-up of several other games. Anyway, I hope it turns out okay, the last decent LOTR game was... the LEGO one? Ugh.

I think that the nemesis system will be good. I also hope this game has some serious divergent paths and endings.

Commanding my own army to punch Sauron in the face though? I'll take it.

Celebrimbor plays an important role as the maker of the Rings of Power. During the Second Age, he lived in the Elvish realm of Eregion and founded a brotherhood of jewelsmiths, the Gwaith-i-Mírdain (lit, "People of the Jewel Smiths"). Under the seemingly benevolent guidance and instruction of the unexpected Vanya visitor "Annatar", the "Lord of Gifts", of the fairest race of elves, who claimed he had been sent by the Valar to share his wisdom and skills in ring and jewel making for the benefit of all Middle-earth but who was in fact the Dark Lord Sauron in fair disguise, Celebrimbor led the smiths of Eregion into making sixteen Great rings for the peoples of Middle-earth—seven to the Dwarven lords and nine to Men. But secretly, without Sauron's knowledge, Celebrimbor also forged Three Rings for the Elves, the greatest and fairest of the Rings of Power. These rings were thus free of Sauron's corrupting influence.

With his scheme exposed to at least the elves, Sauron retaliated by attacking Eregion, initiating the War of the Elves and Sauron and laying waste to the realm. Celebrimbor was captured in the sack, and was forced under torture to disclose where the Nine and the Seven were held, but he would not reveal the whereabouts of the three Elvish rings. Sauron captured the lesser rings and used them as instruments of evil in later years, particularly against Men. Celebrimbor died from his torment, the last direct descendant of the line of Fëanor.

Was the Lego game even any good.. and by good i mean not just the same 10 year old Lego game with a new coat of paint? 'Cos thats not good.

LoTR Online was the last in my experience, before that it was The Hobbit Text Adventure !

[video=youtube;3f3PFfK-9Gk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f3PFfK-9Gk[/video]

I would like to give them a chance, this game looks better and better after every trailer. But in gameplay they only showing and focusing to the nemesis system, and I would like to know there is something more in the game.
The story is written by the same guy who wrote the Red Dead Redemption's story, right?
Other thing. I really like that we will cannot able to change Talin's sword, just upgrade them. The most games you just changeing the weapons in almost every corner, so it is lost its character. For me as a weapon nerd is very important, this sword has its name, its history, and so forth.

The story is written by the same guy who wrote the Red Dead Redemption's story, right?
Other thing. I really like that we will cannot able to change Talin's sword, just upgrade them.

You've piqued my interest more than other news with the RDR writer tidbit, though being a console exclusive I've never played it, all i've ever heard was good.

On Swords with evolving powers... that definitely suits the LoTR setting, but it should be pointed out they've stole that idea from LoTRO Mines of Moria expansion. Definitely a good idea though. Interesting.

You've piqued my interest more than other news with the RDR writer tidbit, though being a console exclusive I've never played it, all i've ever heard was good.

On Swords with evolving powers... that definitely suits the LoTR setting, but it should be pointed out they've stole that idea from LoTRO Mines of Moria expansion. Definitely a good idea though. Interesting.

If you listen well, the guy saying the writer's name and that he is worked on Red Dead, he is just saying only that. So somebody could confirm this with better english.

About RDR, I recently bought a GOTY to PS3, I played about 5-7 hours and it was incredible. Sadly I cannot continue due technical issues my TV. But I can tell you if you can't play it, you should watch a playthrough, I heard that the story ending is pretty dramatic and mindfu*ck.

Update since I started to write this post:
That's true that one of the writers of the RDR is working on this game. I waiting so long ago a good game placed in Tolkien's world. This is the best hope yet, even if there was an open-world RPG developed by someone at EA if I remember correctly. I have a big temptation to pre-order this.

Just between you & me, the only time i've been tempted to buy a console was when everyone was raving about how good RDR was and there was bugger all else to play on the PC for ages, it was tough. :p
Good idea with the RDR playthrough vid... cheers !

That's true that one of the writers of the RDR is working on this game. I waiting so long ago a good game placed in Tolkien's world. This is the best hope yet, even if there was an open-world RPG developed by someone at EA if I remember correctly. I have a big temptation to pre-order this.

Aye theres been so many rubbish games pushed out under the LoTR brand it's difficult to have confidence, add all the other massive IP's to that list that have sold crap games purely on the popularity of the IP. I must admit the systems unique to this game do make it sound intriguing & potentially deep & even random. Personally i'm not sure I enjoy that type of control system enough (I loved Batman 1, but after completing that I was & am bored with B2 and its clones), and in the interests of gaming in general check out Totalbiscuits thought on preorders before you make your choice:

Just between you & me, the only time i've been tempted to buy a console was when everyone was raving about how good RDR was and there was bugger all else to play on the PC for ages, it was tough. :p
Good idea with the RDR playthrough vid... cheers !

Aye theres been so many rubbish games pushed out under the LoTR brand it's difficult to have confidence, add all the other massive IP's to that list that have sold crap games purely on the popularity of the IP. I must admit the systems unique to this game do make it sound intriguing & potentially deep & even random. Personally i'm not sure I enjoy that type of control system enough (I loved Batman 1, but after completing that I was & am bored with B2 and its clones), and in the interests of gaming in general check out Totalbiscuits thought on preorders before you make your choice:

To be honest, I buyed the PS3 almost 3 years ago, and this is my first game, which I bought for myself. Most of the time my little brother played with all the AC's, and if I bought an another game, he messed up my savegames because why not. I bought for the exclusives, and when I played the RDR I felt that it is would be waaay better on PC.
About the Batman Arkham series:
Well, the first was a total kick ass, I never wanted to finish it. But the other ones. Generally the Origins was better than City for me, but the open world was forced and useless.

Well, the War in the North was boring, but okay. I don't played too much of it on PS3, just do not die because of boring.
I have seen that video and I still think it is deserve it. Mostly because of the trust of the writer, but my favorite faction in LotR universe is the Dúnadain Rangers since I was like 12 years old, and it was almost 15 years ago. I risk it.

Last edited:
Yeah I kept looking & hoping to see RDR coming to PC... but it's just not happening :(

Aye I understand being hyped for this game, as a fan of the Númenórean remnants myself. It certainly looks & sounds a lot better than anything previous, and it's doubtful the videos are scams like that Alien one Totalbiscuit rages on. Also interesting to be in & around Gondor.... seems to me most of the games have been set in Arnor.

Considering that the GTA V already coming I don't think that the RDR will come, ever, to be honest, I would play on PC if it would come instead of PS.

Well, yeah, it feels and looks better than anything else so far. I want the Dark Ranger skin, in my head the rangers should have hooded cloack, it is looks way better than the original. What I like the most, that the game feels a bit darker than the films and the other games, and I think the characters won't be just black and white either.

For me at least this game has a LOT to live up to, not only because I am a massive LOTR fan but also because Warner Brothers sent a cease and desist letter to an extremely ambitious Skyrim mod called Middle Earth Role Playing Project. The plan was to basically recreate the whole of middle earth, with each region being as big as Skyrim itself...they could have succeded if not for Warner Brothers, they had a huge team and a lot of talent.

Top Bottom