Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

+
looks kinda fun. I don't like all the eye sore crap all over the screen, like numbers and glowing stars above the enemies head kills it for me. I want games to look and feel real without that kinda flash.

It looks like a AC/Batman Arkham game set in the Middle-earth (so nothing particularly special), but the Nemesis system is a neat idea (if it's going to work as they promise it and if it has major consequences)

Two swords, one for humans, the other for orcs.
Immersion breaking cutscenes.
Blink power from Dishonored.
Finish moves cinematography and QTE from Ryse or God of War.
"Wraith Vision", aka Eagle Vision, aka Detective Mode.
Animations and parkour very much like AC or Batman or Tomb Raider. Assassination missions from AC.
Licensed game (and not so well).

It already reminds me of the hype behind Ryse and Remember Me. The nemesis system excepted (which is basically a way to narrow the storytelling a bit and give the open world some spine), this is very embarassing.

But of course it looks good. It looks like a food picture before you get the actual, sad, and flat dish. Most game for next gen will look good. But this is far from being a new gen game. It takes everything from the previous gen.
In the meantime, I'm melting in boredom.

Szelius said:
Two swords, one for humans, the other for orcs.
Immersion breaking cutscenes.
Blink power from Dishonored.
Finish moves cinematography and QTE from Ryse or God of War.
"Wraith Vision", aka Eagle Vision, aka Detective Mode.
Animations and parkour very much like AC or Batman or Tomb Raider. Assassination missions from AC.
Licensed game (and not so well).

It already reminds me of the hype behind Ryse and Remember Me. The nemesis system excepted (which is basically a way to narrow the storytelling a bit and give the open world some spine), this is very embarassing.

But of course it looks good. It looks like a food picture before you get the actual, sad, and flat dish. Most game for next gen will look good. But this is far from being a new gen game. It takes everything from the previous gen.
In the meantime, I'm melting in boredom.
If you made a new game for all of us to play, what would it be like bro?
Sounds like you have bold NEW IDEAS and nothing but time on your hands to make us one.
;)/>/>

Apparently it's damn near impossible to make a proper game set in Tolkien's Middle-earth.

Honestly, as a big Tolkien fan, I am absolutely mind-blown by the abomination called a hybrid between wraith and ranger. Please stop Monolith. War in the North was already bad, in my opinion at least, but this topples it. But now this? Animations look quite similar to Assasin's Creed's animations, the nemesis system is very gimmicky but that's pretty much the only thing it has going for it.

I sincerely hope Middle-earth Enterprises blocks this one so hard it'll break it's ugly face and shatter into nothingness.

It can't be that hard to create a game during, before or a little bit after the War of the Ring, right?

Incoming wall of text with spoilers for the Lord of the Rings books, just for those who haven't read it yet.

Take Halbarad for instance, since we're diving on the ranger hype here, meld him into a player character or important main character, let it begin some time before the War of the Ring launches. Make it start in a short while before the 22nd of September T.A 3018, get to know the Rangers and their background a bit, get a connected feeling with some of them by preforming whatever task you fancy, then the 22nd hits.

Ringwraiths assault Sarn Ford, you are there and try to fend them off to no avail, they invade the Shire in their everlasting search for Baggins. Darn, that's a shame, I lost some of my kin to those scoundrels, emotion sets in, bury the fallen at wherever would make sense and then you get a call from Elrond. Halbarad is to assemble a group of thirty rangers strong. You, the player, are the messenger and are to unite the rangers chosen by Halbarad under the standard of the uncrowned king of Gondor.

Here's where the world starts to open up and you get more freedom to explore. Make it like the Witcher 3 where it's a multi-region open world, at least that would be my preference. Travel to the Lone-lands, Trollshaws, North Downs, South Downs, Bree-land, go to Forochel for all I care, just make it a visual, immersive experience that stays true to the way Tolkien described those lands. Once gathered, the Rangers will meet in Sarn Ford again or something. A task has been given, speeches are said and the Grey Company is born.

Trek through some of the previously mentioned area's and new places like Enedwaith, Dunland, The Gap of Rohan and stop at Dol Baran. Hey, guess who? It's ya' Chieftain and co. Your captain Halbarad hands the standard crafted by Arwen to your Chieftain Aragorn and the company joins forces. Oh, did I mention Elrond's sons are already in your company as well? That being Elrohir and Elladan, I should've mentioned that before, my apologies.

Not stopping here, lest Monolith fucks up even this part and injects your character with awesome ghostie powers in the Paths of the Dead. You venture forth from Dol Baran, having of course also handed the message from Elrond to Aragorn to venture through the Paths of the Dead. And so, being the good man he is, Aragorn heeds the advice of the Elf Lord and goes through the spooky passage. Hey, here comes the creepy part of the game, Dimholt is your first obstacle, room to innovate from now on, let some Orc tribe from the White Mountains bother you or something, lose a few men during some conflicts, beat the tribal chief and push on into the Dwimorberg, leaving behind angry orcsies who are too scared to chase you into the haunted mountain.

MAKE THIS PLACE EXPLORABLE, I want to see every nook and cranny of this passage, make it a few ingame days long, the trip that is, show vague signs of ghosts appearing around you and let Gimli blow wind against mist hands (everyone has to have loved that scene in the Return of the King). Eventually you meet the traitors to Isildur's line and let fear play a factor for some of the Rangers, driving maybe one or two in despair or whatever kind of edgy nonsense you can come up with. Make Aragorn say his lines, escape the 'berg, King of the Mountains swears his allegiance, we're all best friends, que Blackroot Vale, be creative and let the PC meet Duinhir while scouting ahead for danger or something, learn of the events that happened in Gondor, trot back Aragorn, inform him, continue through the wilds past the Stone of Erech, let Aragorn or Halbarad explain how diddly damn important that stone is, encounter a few threats on the way to Pelargir.

Here comes one of the big battles, or well, big scares. Stealth exploration, everyone loves it, Monolith can do that right at least. Take out some corsairs over watching the gates with a small group of rangers, open the gates for Aragorn and friends, let dead army scare corsairs, they dive in the Anduin or flee elsewhere, take ships, profit.

And the final battle, the end of your journey, the Battle of the Pellenor Fields. Make it a big vista, layed out with corpses of horses, wargs, orcs, men, corrupted men, mumakîl, trolls, you name it. And in the background, display the glory that is Minas Tirith, with Grond at it's destroyed gates and remnants or Orcs still streaming inside the city. Fighting ensues, the big battle you've all been waiting for, it's here. Shame your captain Halbarad doesn't survive and most of the Rangers die.

Now here's my preference. You die fighting a one on one fight with a Morgul lieutenant. None other than Gothmog himself portrayed as a Black Númenorian. Watch with your dying breath how Gothmog yanks his sword out of your chest and leaves you to die in the dirt. Life is slowly draining from your body, you don't have long. Que cutscene where you see the fallen around you, look up with your last power and watch Aragorn fight to avenge his fallen kinsmen, Aragorn slays Gothmog and you know you've been avenged. Your chieftain hurries to your near dead body, says some short senitmental sindarin nonsense with subtitles. Game ends with a sad ending for your character, but you can watch some scene where Aragorn fights at the Black Gate, damn near dies untill Frodo lobs the Ring in Amon Amarth (not the band, that would make the world we live in collapse) and saves the day. Eye explodes, tower tumbles, game ends. Que credits with a nice background score.

Yes, it's cheesy as fuck some times, I know. But I pulled this out of my ass in under 30 minutes, 30 very frustrated, butt-clenching minutes that ended in euphoria for my fingers being freed from the keyboard. I think I'm done ranting. I hate this game already, if I didn't make that clear already. Apologies for the snideyness, cynicism and butthurtness. I just love Tolkien's work and don't want him to corkscrew in his grave at this atrocity of lore abuse. Shame on you, Monolith.

I like the witcher art direction but the main guys character design looks too much like Geralt holy shit.

I hope we can unequip those swords

Listening to the trailer it was a bit annoying when they excitingly said something about a "game with a good IP". Creators say "game with the good story" and etc. IP? That sounds like publisher talk.

This could turn out to be really fun but...it doesn't really seem to focus on immersing you in the world, which is what the books are very good at. The way I see it, a LOTR game could work as a beautifully drawn 2D adventure game OR as a huge open-world like Skyrim where you can visit huge towns, read libraries of books...there was an extremely ambitious mod for Skyrim called MERP (Middle-Earth Role-Playing Project) but the goons at Warner Brothers sent a C&D letter to them. They did all they could to save the project, including a petition with 30.000 signs but to no avail. It was going to be 9 times the size of Skyrim and they could have done it considering the huge team they had and the amount of experience... At the time of the letter, Rohan was more than 50% complete I think.

Anyway, I would REALLY like to see it as an adventure game with beautiful 2d graphics. Kind of like this but with modern standards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c5QrnYYk3Y

Cormacolindor said:
there was an extremely ambitious mod for Skyrim called MERP (Middle-Earth Role-Playing Project) but the goons at Warner Brothers sent a C&D letter to them. They did all they could to save the project, including a petition with 30.000 signs but to no avail. It was going to be 9 times the size of Skyrim and they could have done it considering the huge team they had and the amount of experience... At the time of the letter, Rohan was more than 50% complete I think.

fuck Warner Brothers,CDPR would never do shit like that!

guipit said:
fuck Warner Brothers,CDPR would never do shit like that!

The problem is a lot deeper than you think. The way copyright laws work, the licencee (in this case WB) HAS to protect their rights by stopping projects like these otherwise they lose the rights...for which they undoubtedly paid a fuckton to get.

Also, because of how mindbogglingly huge the world was going to be, during the development of Rohan, they discovered a crippling, unfixable bug. I won't go into detail but the Skyrim engine does funky shit when you make a map larger than Skyrim...Rohan BARELY fit in these limitations.

Cormacolindor said:
The problem is a lot deeper than you think. The way copyright laws work, the licencee (in this case WB) HAS to protect their rights by stopping projects like these otherwise they lose the rights...for which they undoubtedly paid a fuckton to get.

but mods are free?

there's an awesome mod of GoT in Mount and Blade. What money are they losing?

Vast majority of modern game developers are copying each other. Unfortunately, that's how the AAA industry works.
This game looks good. Nothing special, but OK.

FracturedEarth said:
If you made a new game for all of us to play, what would it be like bro?
Sounds like you have bold NEW IDEAS and nothing but time on your hands to make us one.
;)/>/>/>
This is not my job. Don't get annoyed by my criticism, you'll still be able to enjoy the game if you can.

Let me remind you that this archaic engine that drives the SoM and also Assassins Creed, dates back to the Prince of Persia. And it can be clearly seen. Of course it has been slightly improved. But playing AC4 is a journey into the past.

if they want to copy each other, why can't they copy good games? i see assassins creed and ryse in there.

also, apparently he's such a beefcake with huge biceps he can't properly close his arms.

i love the inherent contradiction in these games. mature rated content, but clearly marketed towards the pre-teen console player segment.

Vast majority of modern game developers are copying each other. Unfortunately, that's how the AAA industry works.
This game looks good. Nothing special, but OK.

you're kidding right?

Is there any game which comes somewhat close to Tolkien's vision? Shadow of Mordor doesn't seem to have anything to do with the novels (or any other writings by Tolkien) nor with the movies. :mean:
Middle-Earth offers so much background. I dare say mor than any other fantasy universe does. A capable dev could make a game with a distinctive Middle-Earth flavour, not such a Frankenstein-game like SoM :(

Top Bottom