[MOD Idea] Lightening illumination

+
[MOD Idea] Lightening illumination

Hi, Today as always and everyday watched all Witcher 3 trailer and suddenly I noticed that in HOS trailer lightening cast light and shadow as almost how it was in SOD trailer. Still not played HOS pack yet. So do not now if lightening cast light in game too or this is only specific for that trailer? If I am not wrong most cut-scenes are realtime in this game so if this lightening asset still in game can someone bring it back? The lightening is almost worst thing in this game. cant even watch when it happens. So this would be awesome and ultimately atmospheric.

Light and shadow even change orientation based on the location of lightening.

Here is SS from trailer just incase

Attachments

• lightening_0.jpg
    lightening_0.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 81
  • lightening_1.jpg
    lightening_1.jpg
    331.3 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
I think that is trailer specific, don't remember seeing that in-game when playing Hearts of Stone (brilliant expansion otherwise though).

I think that is trailer specific, don't remember seeing that in-game when playing Hearts of Stone (brilliant expansion otherwise though).

So the dust under legs of horse during galloping was also trailer specific but you said that it is possible to bring it back. So could this be possible too?

And can't find now but I saw one modder (Do not remember who) spawned and deleted point lights and spot lights and controlled the radius and color in cave via command line in game. So when lightening happens would it it be possible to spawn the light with large effect radius to cast light and shadow?

Not really, it shows up in plenty of in-game cutscenes
[video]https://youtu.be/AyxSLzDyxBE?list=PLE7DlYarj-DeejR2MgWarsKjzug0HDbhJ&t=2350[/video]

Emmm... As I said I didn't played HOS yet so I think I do not understand you correctly, so when you said you didn't see that in game did you mean in cut-scene too? Because I do not think CDProject showed any scene with in-game rendering in trailer which is not actually in-game or in cut-scene. Only pre-release footage exception. When I asked is this trailer specific, I mean in game cut-scene too. :)

So may it be you missed that lightning from HOS trailer scene when you played or do not remember. Can anybody else confirm that too?

Just checked, there isn't even a thunderstorm going on in that scene in the actual game.

What CDPR are doing is pretty much this
[video]https://youtu.be/E2mwttf-hAo?t=135[/video]

Thank you taking the time and checking it for me. It is so sad. :(

So I hope somebody will find the way to make the lightning to cast light/shadow. As I mentioned now it is possible to spawn and delete the light source via command line in game and control the settings of that light. I will search that post.

Well it just so happens, that I watched a new gameplay of Ghost Recon Wildlands this morning with some quite nice looking lightning effects:

I had kind of the same thoughts about tweaking lightning in The Witcher 3 as you suggested and tried to mess a little bit...until things went kinda out of control^^ :

Link to image: http://prnt.sc/cri4bu

So, as you can see having lightning casting light on ground is possible and I hope in a lot better fashion than my brute-force approach above :D
Casting (real-time) shadows may be somehow possible, though I wouldn't know how...but if there's one thing I learnt while modding The Witcher 3 it's: "Never say never!" ;)
Also, the most important thing, I guess, would be trying to get lightning closer to Geralt, or at least have the illumination in a larger radius around the lightning bolt.

Attachments

• witcher3_2016_10_08_15_45_19_249.jpg
    witcher3_2016_10_08_15_45_19_249.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 74
Also, the most important thing, I guess, would be trying to get lightning closer to Geralt, or at least have the illumination in a larger radius around the lightning bolt.

By closer you mean trying to make the lightning hit Geralt directly? :D

Well it just so happens, that I watched a new gameplay of Ghost Recon Wildlands this morning with some quite nice looking

I had kind of the same thoughts about tweaking lightning in The Witcher 3 as you suggested and tried to mess a little bit...until things went kinda out of control^^ :

Link to image: http://prnt.sc/cri4bu

So, as you can see having lightning casting light on ground is possible and I hope in a lot better fashion than my brute-force approach above :D
Casting (real-time) shadows may be somehow possible, though I wouldn't know how...but if there's one thing I learnt while modding The Witcher 3 it's: "Never say never!" ;)

Thank you for trying. But in your picture it doesn't looks like lightning cast light. It looks like some kind of emissive light/material applying to ground during lightning. This is what happens in vanilla lightning too. In your image it is only cranked up value of what we see in vanilla. :(

Thank you for trying. But in your picture it doesn't looks like lightning cast light. It looks like some kind of emissive light/material applying to ground during lightning. This is what happens in vanilla lightning too. In your image it is only cranked up value of what we see in vanilla. :(

Yep, you're right, as I've said it was really just a quick test of messing with variables. But you're idea of assigning an actual light component (as is used for fire particles, yrden sign and many others) to the lightning could be interesting...to someone who knows how to do it :)

---------- Updated at 09:11 AM ----------

By closer you mean trying to make the lightning hit Geralt directly? :D
Sure, why not?;)
And after a direct hit on Geralt, he learns a new sign: Yen's lightning spell :D

Guest 2364765

Technically it is possible to have lighting cast light and that's wouldn't be too much of an issue to add.
As far as shadows go however, not so easy. Both cube and spot lights have very, very limited resolution limit, beyond which they simply break, meaning that using them for casting shadows from an object far away would result in shadows that are either invisible (thus pointless) or very blocky (thus immersion breaking).

Only way around this would be custom environment that'd change sun color and angle for the brief time when lighting hits to simulate lighting being temporary "primary" source of light in the area, however you'd also have to modify it on the fly via scripts to adapt angle to the position of lighting within the world, so that if lighting strikes in the north the shadows aren't casted from east or west, etc. And still it wouldn't be a prefect hack as the sun shadow is casted from far, far above the level thus being anywhere near the lighting would still break the immersion(Also i don't think it's possible to have it flicker in thunder-like fashion).

TL-DR: possible but a hassle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Technically it is possible to have lighting cast light and that's wouldn't be too much of an issue to add.
As far as shadows go however, not so easy. Both cube and spot lights have very, very limited resolution limit, beyond which they simply break, meaning that using them for casting shadows from an object far away would result in shadows that are either invisible (thus pointless) or very blocky (thus immersion breaking).

Only way around this would be custom environment that'd change sun color and angle for the brief time when lighting hits to simulate lighting being temporary "primary" source of light in the area, however you'd also have to modify it on the fly via scripts to adapt angle to the position of lighting within the world, so that if lighting strikes in the north the shadows aren't casted from east or west, etc.

TL-DR: possible but a hassle.

Thank you. So at least we now that this is possible. :) So if @essenthy could create that environment if he had time and interest to it and then @skacikpl could use script for it it would be awesome.

But for now can you add only light for lightning if you have time? I mean without shadows. At least we could see something. Not that retard weird white texture on terrain. :)

Guys....do You remember VGX leaked video? This effect was in the game once, but in very early version...:( Look at this. It starts from 4.10. in the forest.

http://vgleaks.com/leak-first-witcher-3-gameplay-footage/

http://www.vgleaks.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/witcher3-gif-2.gif watch the whole GIF.
In SOD trailer when Gralalt on boat during night storm, there was that effect too. But we do not know from which build that scene was. SOD trailer hase multiple build scenes.

Actually everything in that video looks next gen. I mean foliage movements, fire react to wind when Geralt stands right before entering the forest, particle effects of IGNI, and so on.

Only one thing was bad, the movement animation and speed of movement of Geralt didn't mach. And we can see the jogging animation and transition animation from jogging to walking from E3 video was there too.

Top Bottom